• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Project Beast (From Software/Sony Japan Studio, PS4) [Port begging = ban]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endo Punk

My face needs a bag over it. I like yours. Oedo 808?

Yessir! Love the ol 90's anime especially one that has cyberpunk themes.

As for your face, don't be so hard on yourself :p But your avatar, it makes my skin crawl! lol. It's cool though, I hope Project Beast sticks to the horror atmosphere of DeS. Judging by the screens I think it will.

4YkLCbT.jpg

These things were quite creepy..

As for your face, don't be so hard on yourself :p But your avatar, it makes my skin crawl! lol. It's cool though, I hope Project Beast sticks to the horror atmosphere of DeS. Judging by the screens I think it will.

4YkLCbT.jpg

Theres a crazy story behind the world of 3 and the monsters.

The Tower of Latria was a shrine devoted to the Ivory Queen in the lands neighboring Boletaria. With her husband, Latria ruled her kingdom - encompassing a penitentiary, a church, and the great tower itself - to the great adoration and respect of her people. Latria banished her husband from the lands for unknown reasons, and when the fog bathed the kingdom, Latria’s husband found himself filled with a terrible and vengeful lust. He soon discovered the source of his mad desires - a beautiful and flowing golden garb that seemed to beckon his name. When he put the robe on, a rage filled within him. The old man returned and ordered his wife exiled from her own kingdom and her family imprisoned in the cells Latria formerly governed. In each cell block, the old man commanded inhuman guards to keep watch over the tortured prisoners for eternity. He oversaw the construction of an idol made in his wife’s image to give false hope to the inmates, and with the masses of flesh accumulated throughout the years, the old man has begun creating his own army of demons (hinted to be with his own image hence the creatures all having weird humanoid faces), among them the ravenous Man Eaters. Suspended from the middle of the tower is a large, mechanical heart, constructed in an effort to help maintain the old man’s own existence. The souls of the damned inside of the prison are used as life-giving sustenance to keep the heart beating. In time, the old man’s body began to whither and decay, and the golden garb - the true source of the old man’s demonic rage - beckoned a new host. With the old man rid of the robe’s life-force, he breathed his last gasp of air.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954345-demons-souls/57067189

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

4YkLCbT.jpg

Can't sleep. Spiders will eat me.

I want beards and mustaches and mutton chops and flowing hair and every manner of head and face grooming and non-grooming that would come along with some of the flavour given off in the presumed time period of the screens. Some of that "The Order: 1886" manly mojo with that level of naturalism, no spikey shiney papercraft-looking textured geometries. Hair Baby! That is BEAST. Throw in some fluffy bouncy peacock feathers if you are feeling generous to my evil-extinguishing Musketeer brethren.

Hobobloke

I want beards and mustaches and mutton chops and flowing hair and every manner of head and face grooming and non-grooming that would come along with some of the flavour given off in the presumed time period of the screens. Some of that "The Order: 1886" manly mojo with that level of naturalism, no spikey shiney papercraft-looking textured geometries. Hair Baby! That is BEAST. Throw in some fluffy bouncy peacock feathers if you are feeling generous to my evil-extinguishing Musketeer brethren.

I can get behind this.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno I'd prefer something distant from the Soul's name.
Gives the impression of an entirely new IP.
Same here. Not everything by Miyazaki and his crew has to be ~Souls.
Plus, Sony probably has final say and wants to steer it away from potential confusion with Namco Bandai/Atlus.

Id still say that a has a higher chance of being another Resistance title by a different dev. Seeing how there was a trophy called bloodborne in Resistance 3.

Interesting connection!

You, sir, are on to something.

I think following DeS' way is fine: punish the player if they hoard too much and force them to wear a ring to remove over burdening. Said ring should be early in the game.

Soriku

So you can't pick up everything you come across. Nor carry every weapon/armor you want.

I agree!!

Constantly carrying around all your best stuff makes things too easy. I'd rather have to plan ahead with what to bring.

What would be the point of this? The item burden in DeS never made the game harder. I always rolled with my armor set of choice and 1-2 weapons. I imagine most everyone did the same

There is little to no planning involved.

Theres a crazy story behind the world of 3 and the monsters.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954345-demons-souls/57067189

I just f'in love the lore and setting of Demons Souls. Please let Project Souls be a continuation of that world.

And man, Playstation NOW better f'in have Demon Souls on there from Day 1. Or they better release a Demon Souls Remaster or something like that. I need more Demons Souls.

You know, it's actually such a shame this leaked, how exciting an announce would this have been? Awesome stuff, hopefully it's at E3.

This is just a massive tease. The horrible compression to the screenshots. The pure ???? behind it all. Seeing the actual reveal with the game in motion with native HQ videos. Yeah, will be exciting indeed.

Ridley327

Even without the ring to increase your item burden, it always felt pretty generous to me. Generally speaking, you're going to be moving back to the Nexus once you beat a boss anyway, so you're going straight to Thomas. I never found it to be a hassle in the slightest.

Cess007

4YkLCbT.jpg

I swear, the first time i got down the swamp and the first of those things appearead, all i did was:

tumblr_n32wezVes41tw1vhco1_500.gif

I got back to the cage from where i was coming from and the went all the way back to the nexus.

Even without the ring to increase your item burden, it always felt pretty generous to me. Generally speaking, you're going to be moving back to the Nexus once you beat a boss anyway, so you're going straight to Thomas. I never found it to be a hassle in the slightest.

Yeah the world was built properly for the item burden mechanic. With the " open world " aspect of Dark Souls 1/2 having item burden would of essentially broken the game. Forcing you to seek out someone to hand items off to or finding a box or whatever to put items inside in each area. Would not have worked. But in Demons Souls, each world linked to the Nexus so you were always going back to the Nexus anyway. So item burden was something you never really had to worry about.

Styles

Demon's Souls still has the best atmosphere out of the Souls games. The sense of dread I got from ToL was sadly, absent from Dark Souls 1&2, and let's not forget the Flamlurker, that is perhaps my favourite boss fight, ever. I hope Beast recaptures that magic for me again.

Stefan™;112028185 said:
Demon's Souls still has the best atmosphere out of the Souls games. The sense of dread I got from ToL was sadly, absent from Dark Souls 1&2, and let's not forget the Flamlurker, that is perhaps my favourite boss fight, ever. I hope Beast recaptures that magic for me again.

Fighting Flamelurker as a melee Wanderer my first time around was perhaps the most epic boss battle of all time. So many dozens of moments throughout the fight where one hit would kill me and that one hit missed by millimeters. Thank god the hit detection was right on 99% of the time in Demons Souls.

God ... now I want to go play the game again .. but no PS3 anymore. BAH! Playstation NOW you are my only hope.

If item burden comes back, then you better be able to leave items anywhere and retrieve them hours later.

Then you could have a field of heavy, powerful swords/guns stuck in the ground for when someone invades and then just pick them up/drop them as needed

i like that. I also would like if all the items on a character were the only items on the character. a couple loops for flasks hanging leaving items or setting battle royal traps in an expanded dks intertwining world would be so cool. having a bag full of loot we drop before battles in a game one day would be neat

aravuus

Has there ever been a thread other than this one about a leak that nobody evens knows to be true, that had almost 8000 replies? This is just crazy

What would be the point of this? The item burden in DeS never made the game harder. I always rolled with my armor set of choice and 1-2 weapons. I imagine most everyone did the same

There is little to no planning involved.

Sadly for a game where you can just warp around constantly, it doesn't really make any sense. You can obviously just go back and get what you want pretty much any time, so it's just tedious.

I'm talking something more in line with the way DS1 was structured, not really the other games. That way, when you get down into a place like Blighttown, you can't just carry everything in case you need it. I don't think it should be too punishing, but just enough to create a risk reward factor. And of course, I think there could be mechanics in place to make it not so frustrating. Maybe consumable items that can warp items from your box where ever that may be? That way you don't just get stuck needing something, but you have to pay a price to get it. Or you find a really cool item but can't carry it back, so just warp it for a price.

I guess the reason I liked the burden in DeS was because I had played DS1 first and thought it would fit in that game better.

Soriku

Sadly for a game where you can just warp around constantly, it doesn't really make any sense. You can obviously just go back and get what you want pretty much any time, so it's just tedious.

I'm talking something more in line with the way DS1 was structured, not really the other games. That way, when you get down into a place like Blighttown, you can't just carry everything in case you need it. I don't think it should be too punishing, but just enough to create a risk reward factor. And of course, I think there could be mechanics in place to make it not so frustrating. Maybe consumable items that can warp items from your box where ever that may be? That way you don't just get stuck needing something, but you have to pay a price to get it. Or you find a really cool item but can't carry it back, so just warp it for a price.

I guess the reason I liked the burden in DeS was because I had played DS1 first and thought it would fit in that game better.

They'd have to limit your item capacity a lot for it to matter. Even in DeS you're still allowed to hold a good number of items, and there's that ring which lets you hold more. Which I would imagine would be included in any Souls game which has item burden.

And even then, I still don't see it making the game much harder. It's not like in Blighttown you need specific armor sets or weapons. Just bring with you your best armor and weapon (you probably already have these things equipped).

It would just be annoying for people like me who like to collect everything I see. In fact it seems detrimental to exploration the first time I go through an area, because I no longer have reason to go off the beaten path because I can't pick many items. If I wanted to pick everything up I'd have to make multiple annoying trips (also I assume for the item burden to have a notable effect on the gameplay, you can't just go to a nearby bonfire and store everything you would need. If that were the case, it just pointless and adds tedium for no reason).

StuBurns

Banned
While it's a shame this leaked, and obviously no one wants to see a game for the first time in these bad screen grabs, it did allow GAF to be totally focused on Beast for awhile. If it had been revealed at the conference it wouldn't have consumed so much of the mind share.

So I finished Demon's Souls tonight. In some ways I found it harder than Dark Souls, but in other ways it was easier. I think having played Dark Souls made it easier. I liked how some of the bosses had more "puzzle" elements compared to Dark Souls.
Definitely shorter thanks to the fast travel from the start. Great atmosphere, too, but much smaller areas. Some very cool things going on in it, though. Over all I quite enjoyed it. I guess Dark Souls 2 is next!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom