• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS5 devkits ~ 13 TFLOPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

McCheese

Neither did employees at InXile or Obsidian

Oh come on, half the gaming press knew about the '3 big buyouts' a few weeks before E3 even happened, one of them didn't even have the ink dry in time so got postponed x months until that Xbox showcase, to the surprise of nobody in the industry.

Spiderman outsold God of War (in the US at least, not sure about WW numbers). I cannot see even arrogant Sony let Microsoft tie them up, Microsoft didn't even bother making the most out of the Insomniac exclusive they already had, no X mode etc.

Virex

Banned
Oh come on, half the gaming press knew about the '3 big buyouts' a few weeks before E3 even happened, one of them didn't even have the ink dry in time so got postponed x months until that Xbox showcase, to the surprise of nobody in the industry.

Spiderman outsold God of War (in the US at least, not sure about WW numbers). I cannot see even arrogant Sony let Microsoft tie them up, Microsoft didn't even bother making the most out of the Insomniac exclusive they already had, no X mode etc.
Oh well. Guess that settles it then.

bitbydeath

Oh well. Guess that settles it then.

Yeah, it wouldn’t happen anyway obviously given their audience (people who buy their games) are PlayStation.

Not to mention they’d be waiting years to grab them anyway since they only just began work on Spider-Man 2 and there’s rumours of another Ratchet and Clank on the way.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Dev Kit =/= Console.
As others have mentioned these are rough specs to what we could likely see. Most rumors are currently aiming at 12.8-13 for dev kits and the gpu side of dev kits are usually pretty tight to what we can expect from retail. Chances are we’ll still see specs of between 12.1TFlops to 13Tflops

bitbydeath

What happens when you lower the GPU clock then?

0VlXqT9wCGO1N-Fk7XdUZhWeoPFcd_l-ADSpXAfGqAHdKmfIKD7Iy0ccbhT07-xFKqm5PqpUxexAMxW2pS37OedC63fS7TUr5pjFi8oD=w500-h217-nc

Evilms

Banned
Otherwise it's pretty much the same data as the rumors we saw about reddit

HBM2 / DDR4 / 56CU / 1.8GHz / 12.9TF / SSD...

Marlenus

If 56 CUs can hit 12.9Tfops in a console power budget of around 150W then Navi is going to be a lot more efficient than Vega20.

If 24GB ram is true it means either a 384bit bus and around 650+GB/s of memory bandwidth or the split pool is correct and you have 8GB of HBM2 at around 450GB/s of mem bandwidth and 16GB ddr4.

Last edited:

SonGoku

If 56 CUs can hit 12.9Tfops in a console power budget of around 150W
Why does it need to hit 150w? Granted its going to be more efficient than vega but i dont see the benefit of hitting an arbitrary power envelop unless its a mobile device with battery limitations.
If 24GB ram is true it means either a 384bit bus and around 650+GB/s of memory bandwidth
672+GB/s actually

Last edited:

Stuart360

I hope the new consoles have at least 16gb of ram for games. I know console versions of games usually require only about half the ram as PC versions do, but there are already a good amount of PC games this gen that reccomends 16gb of ram.

onQ123

It falls in line with this recent rumour as well.

Also this one

PS5 dev kits in the wild and i've some good news for you
System will be revealed close to E3 2019 in Sony's Special event with some mind-blowing tech demos and a few megatons and a release date for Q1-Q2 2020! The Last of Us Part 2's motion matching in 4K 60fps is a joy to watch!
Specifications:
CPU: 8Core/16Threads at 3.2Ghz (boost) Zen2 (this is the biggest improvement we've ever seen CPU-wise, even bigger than PS2 to PS3)
GPU: Fully NAVI-Based GPU with some AMD's next generation arch features at 12.6tf to 14.2tf (GPU clock still undecided)
Memory: 24GB - 20GB GDDR6 at 880Gb/s - 4GB DDR4 reserved for OS
2tb HDD

SonGoku

O onQ123
Any idea how they can hit 880GB/s with 20GB considering:
cf60a17f19368f61eddb7d5cf185480e20190212183814.png

Maybe its 22GB GDDR6 with 2GB reserved for OS?
Either way its crazy that they would use the highest clocked (20Gbps) chips, very exiting for the possibilities it entails. Getting PS2/360 vibes here.

ethomaz

Banned
Xbox One X dev kit has 6.6Tflops where as the retail has 6Tflops. Basically it has the 4 extra CU’s that are disabled on the retail kit.

If we were to take that as an example and assume 1.8Ghz gpu speed then it’s about 0.92Tflops difference aka ~12.1Tflops
56CUs is discounting the disabled from a full chip.

The X retail have 4 CUs disabled too.

thelastword

Banned
What happens when you lower the GPU clock then?
What happens when you up clocks and you increase ram then? Wired said PS5 devkits were very early and running at low speed.....What happens when Ram count increases as it was done with PS4? Are we only looking at this skewed left?......Skewing right is also a possibility, perhaps moreso and much more realistic and probable.......If Sony can get a nice deal with HBM3 for PS5 in late 2020, you can bet your bottom dollar, they'll be on that train.......It's about the time HBM3 hits too, at 7nm....

ethomaz

Banned
O onQ123

Either way its crazy that they would use the highest clocked (20Gbps) chips, very exiting for the possibilities it entails. Getting PS2/360 vibes here.
Just to be clear memory speeds are not fixed at max... they are lower the power consumption.

So you can have 1600hz running at 15250Mhz.

Stuart360

There are still millions of PC users sporting DDR3 ram with little problems. I'm sure PS5 will be fine with GDDR6 ram guys.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sorry to burst Benji's bubble. But he will have to remove Insomniac's name from his tweet. They're not going to be making PS5 games at all in the very near future

Yeah... riiiiiiight. Insomniac have been staunchly independent for years, despite their product not always selling to expectations. Now they have a nice partnership with Sony and their Spiderman license generating enough cash for them to indulge any creative itch they might want to scratch.

If any independent company has less need to sell out to any corporate overlord, I can't think of one. :D

onQ123

O onQ123

Could be 11Gbps on a 640bit bus or 22Gbps on a 320bit bus

( devkit place holders parts )

SonGoku

12 is almost 13. 😏
So 12-13TF then
They said HBM3 would be higher speed, lower volt and lower cost and go into full production in 2020...i mean obviously GDDR6 is also great. i just hope its not GDDR5x.
Than HBM2, might still be expensive compared to gddr6
Don't get me wrong, i would love 24gb of hbm3 but it might not be worth the cost when gddr6 can already hit 880GB/s
Panello confirmed Sony was working on 8TF target 😂😂😂
omg really?

Got a link? Im also curious about the 8tf Ledbetter quote source

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: TLZ

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I heard another rumor....it came from me...I heard that soon speculation threads would be a thing of the past once E3 and Sony's show happens.

Til then...yay?

Let's face it, it's going to come down to the games and price...period. I can't see the consoles being significantly off from one another in terms of specs. Price, like I said several times in the past, all comes down to who's hungry enough to eat their profits. Microsoft has the better ability to financially overall as a company, but Sony can do it as well if they really wanted to and would probably be hungrier given they want to keep the crown.

So 12-13TF then

Than HBM2, might still be expensive compared to gddr6
Don't get me wrong, i would love 24gb of hbm3 but it might not be worth the cost when gddr6 can already hit 880GB/s

omg really?

Got a link? Im also curious about the 8tf Ledbetter quote source
Sticking with my original prediction from long ago. 10-12.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I really hope these rumors are true. 12-13 TF with games designed for it from the ground up and not having to support a weaker console too would be awesome.

Reactions: TLZ

sixamp

I will never understand why anyone cares for this tflop comparison . The difference between 14-11 or 11-9 etc.. is minimal . The the actual power lies in the game engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom