• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS5 devkits ~ 13 TFLOPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonGoku

Most games are gonna be cross-gen'd for like 3 to 3 & a half years
Where do you get these numbers? PS360 were dropped like a rock after 1 year.
At most they will keep getting COD and sports games for a couple of years.

Last edited:

onQ123

i genuinely hope if they are planning to adopt Ray Tracing as the main feature for next gen visuals, they better be having a separate built in hardware for that otherwise half of PS5's power will be directly sucked by Ray tracing.. where we could easily enjoy 4K @60fps without Raytracing for all games considering the rumoured spec.

Or they could just make the CPU , GPU & memory in a way that's better for Ray-tracing

But again you just said it yourself, the Pro, with double the gpu power, could only take a 1080p/30 PS4 game upto 1800/30, and thats a Sony first party game. Just think about the power needed to push that Pro version from 1800p/30 to 4k/60, get it?, and thats just a PS4 game.

Xbox 1X can do native 4K. PS4 Pro is a mere 2.36 Tflops GPU upgrade with the same CPU. PS5 is going to be 8 tflop gpu upgrade. With the addition of a more powerful CPU. Nevermind upgrades in every other aspect of the console. PS5 will easily do PS4 games at 4K 60fps. I don’t see Sony going back and rewiring games to support 60fps tho.

sinnergy

Xbox can differentiate in Raytracing Hardware ;) and other customizations.

But 13 TF SOUNDS great for this generation!!! All beasts if true!

demigod

Also this one

Signs are pointing to them using hdd with some kind of magic to make it faster than ssd. And if that rumor is true about hardware raytracing, oh my.

omg really?

Got a link? Im also curious about the 8tf Ledbetter quote source

He said this at least 2 times, you can search for them if you want but here’s a link to the 2nd one. He’s just making a fool out of himself as usual. There is a 0% chance possibility that ps5 is 8TF. ZERO.

onQ123

Did you miss what the insider said? Its software raytracing.

I'm pretty sure he was just saying that it's a mixture of hardware & software.

which is expected for both nextgen consoles if you ask me.

basically changes in the hardware for better ray-tracing

Mattyp

Gold Member
Yeah... riiiiiiight. Insomniac have been staunchly independent for years, despite their product not always selling to expectations. Now they have a nice partnership with Sony and their Spiderman license generating enough cash for them to indulge any creative itch they might want to scratch.

If any independent company has less need to sell out to any corporate overlord, I can't think of one. :D

People need to realise at the end of the day people personally own these companies and that's what affects their choices.

Microsoft to owner of Insomniac - Here's a personal $500 million dollars for yourself, and a $1million dollar a year pay packet.
Owner - What's the catch?
Microsoft - Keep creating what ever you want to create, spend the $500 million on whatever tickles your fancy, and we'll even fund every part of the studio. You just make games for PC & Xbox now instead of PC, Xbox and PS4.

People are looking out for the financial security of themselves, their children for generations to come. And a pay day like that may never come around again. I'm not saying Insomniac is selling at all, just people need to realise the owners of any company that isn't publicly listed and available for a buy out need to see the big picture. Sony is more than capable of this also, but at the end of the day who ever offers the biggest pay day will be the choice made.

Last edited:

demigod

Sorry to burst Benji's bubble. But he will have to remove Insomniac's name from his tweet. They're not going to be making PS5 games at all in the very near future

Claiming to be an insider now? You better back your shit up.

Braldryr

Banned
Love me some Insomniac.
That'd be amazing (at least for XBox fans).

I was clamoring for that when they did Sunset. But now that spiderman was a crazy success the asking price would be huge. That also ignores they likely dont wanna be bought. Someone buying them would have to overpay on an already steep asking price.

Microsoft is acquiring a studio that used/was very close working with Sony in the past. It's not insomniac though I can tell you that much.

Not doubting but can you post comparison numbers for future reference

and from the looks of it insanely faster memory

The jump in memory amount or bandwidth is not as much as a jump as from PS3 to PS4 I believe:

"The PS4 contains a total of 8 GB (16 × 0.5 GB (512 MiB) for CUH10XX/CUH11XX models or 8 x 1 GB (1024 MiB) for CUH12XX models memory chips[49]) of GDDR5 unified system memory, and is capable of running at a maximum clock frequency of 2.75 GHz (5500 MT/s) with a maximum bandwidth of 176 GB/s.[44][50] This is 16 times the amount of total RAM found in the PS3 and is expected to give the console considerable longevity.[51][52] The unified memory architecture allows the CPU and GPU to access a consolidated memory, removing the need for separate, dedicated memory pools.[52]

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
seems reasonable. it'll be about on par with a GPU from 2017. considering cards like the Vega 56/64/1080 Ti are still destroying games today it's impressive that we'll be getting similar power in a console next year.

4K 30fps should be standard for all titles. with a better CPU and faster memory we might see more 60fps titles but i'm not sure it will be guaranteed for most AAA titles. maybe if they drop the resolution to 1440/1800p.

Last edited:
I'd be more impressed by the cpu upgrade, finally easy 60fps. GPU is nice but they've been doing nice pre-baked graphics on 7 year old hardware now and it has always been the cpu shitting up the party.

klosos

obviously the more powerful the better , however the next PS5 as got to be whisper silent , i am fed up of the noise at random times , Like on the Map screen on God of War my PS Pro sounds like a jet engine taking off , its ridiculous. Hopefully this is something the Technicians behind the next PS5 know this and make this an important issue

Yes we'll see what a really powerful CPU can help realise in the first Sony exclusive that is not cross gen. AI and physics could be greatly improved and graphics not bottlenecked by the CPU.

I will be impressed if they manage to get a GPU clocked @ 1.8 GHz. I think they should just be willing to make the consoles a bit larger if they need to. Better cooling = higher clocks = more powerful. It can also be quieter.

Never understood people who want a console as small as possible. Too many downsides.

There are still millions of PC users sporting DDR3 ram with little problems. I'm sure PS5 will be fine with GDDR6 ram guys.

Those pc's have gddr5/6 alongside ddr3/4.

but i just feel some people are going to be dissapointed.

Like previous gens.

Don't worry lots of buzz words like ultra PC power mega duper PC architecture 2.0,, 100k server mainframe raytracing tech, Faster then the fastest PC on ssd and GCI trailers of games that all get "optimized in the future" aka downgraded will make it easy for the fans to be hyped about lowish mid range pc hardware in 2020.

It's all about how you bring it in the marketing to the public.

Yes, just talk about 8k and ray tracing, perfect PR as it can mean anything. Fans will fabricate specs themselfs.

They changed a lot of PS3 specs though but the dev kit was weaker than the console

Different architecture though.

I dare say it will be a bigger jump than PS3>PS4

Not that hard as PS4 has tablet hardware.

Now watch PS5 be 8tf and Xbox 2 10tf and we all deflate.

Pfffffff.....

Like DF said, there will be dissapointments.

it'll be about on par with a GPU from 2017.

Equal to 2017 hardware in 2020/2021, cpu just 3,2ghz, 2015/16 equal high clocked intel cpu? Hars to tell about the rambut were on 16gb hbm2 @1tb/s already just for the gpu, add 16 to 32gb ddr4 main memory. Guess ps5 ram equal to 2017/18 somewhere then.
Storage will be 2019 if it contains nvme pcie4.0. With zen3 and navi successor out by ps5 launch, your buying yesterdays hardware in a cheap andloud hot case. $399, more its not worth 2020/2021.

Marlenus

Why does it need to hit 150w? Granted its going to be more efficient than vega but i dont see the benefit of hitting an arbitrary power envelop unless its a mobile device with battery limitations.

Need is too strong a word but for a relatively small device to sit in an entertainment centre that is unlikely to be cleaned during its lifetime it needs to have a cooling solution that can work even in poor airflow conditions. This means that most consoles use around 200W of power under load of which the majority should be the GPU

This is where 150W came from though it is not a hard and fast rule, more a guideline.

672+GB/s actually

I was ballparking from my recollection of what the 2080 + 50% bandwidth is.

xool

If 56 CUs can hit 12.9Tfops in a console power budget of around 150W then Navi is going to be a lot more efficient than Vega20.

If 24GB ram is true it means either a 384bit bus and around 650+GB/s of memory bandwidth or the split pool is correct and you have 8GB of HBM2 at around 450GB/s of mem bandwidth and 16GB ddr4.

Vega is 14nm from GlobalFoundries, Navi20 will be 7nm from TSMC .. TSMC's 7nm should be approximately 40% power use of their comparebale (12/16nm) process, plus a clock speed advantages too (+40%?)

.. so very roughly - take a Vega 64 (300W) - scale to 7nm - now 120W; plus Vega's 11.5TF (13.7 boost) performance now becomes 16.1TF (19.2 boost) .. that's being optimistic with scaling benefits, but maybe Navi improves on Vega too ??

Either way I think 14TF+ is doable under 150W on 7nm.

Last edited:
AMD Confirms Navi GPU Launching In Q3 2019

https://wccftech.com/amd-confirms-navi-gpu-launching-in-q3-2019/

So we'll soon know what navi is capable of.

"The Navi GPU is going to slot in somewhere between the Vega 56 and 64 in terms of performance"

From the link you posted.
Mid range gpu as stated before. Next-gen will be higher end.
Vega56/64 is a 2017 product, if performance is between the two thats around 10TF, depending on clocks for pos5.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
People need to realise at the end of the day people personally own these companies and that's what affects their choices.

Microsoft to owner of Insomniac - Here's a personal $500 million dollars for yourself, and a $1million dollar a year pay packet.
Owner - What's the catch?
Microsoft - Keep creating what ever you want to create, spend the $500 million on whatever tickles your fancy, and we'll even fund every part of the studio. You just make games for PC & Xbox now instead of PC, Xbox and PS4.

People are looking out for the financial security of themselves, their children for generations to come. And a pay day like that may never come around again. I'm not saying Insomniac is selling at all, just people need to realise the owners of any company that isn't publicly listed and available for a buy out need to see the big picture. Sony is more than capable of this also, but at the end of the day who ever offers the biggest pay day will be the choice made.

That's just bad business. MS paid a fortune for the Minecraft IP. Not the expertise at Mojang, because that's not something that can be owned in perpetuity. The situation with Insomniac is the reverse, their real value is their ability to work with other people's IP. Insomniac don't own Spiderman, Ratchet & Clank, Spyro, Resistance. Everything they are best known for is owned by other parties.

They also run their own tech, which has limited application in terms of corporate synergy. You can't just cobble engines together from disparate sources, intreroparability and consistency of toolchain and interface are vital for productivity. So basically paying money for technology that's only going to apply at the sites where it is initially situated dilutes its value.

You need to consider "buying" a company is just a one-off payment for transfer of ownership, its the START of expenditure, not the end, and that investment needs to be recouped. Hiring that same company for development, whilst retaining IP and publishing rights, is far more cost effective and accomplishes the same thing.

If throwing $500m away as a one-off sunk-cost to elevate your business is a viable strategy, spending it on buying a studio is far from the top of the list of smart moves.

FranXico

That's just bad business. MS paid a fortune for the Minecraft IP. Not the expertise at Mojang, because that's not something that can be owned in perpetuity. The situation with Insomniac is the reverse, their real value is their ability to work with other people's IP. Insomniac don't own Spiderman, Ratchet & Clank, Spyro, Resistance. Everything they are best known for is owned by other parties.

They also run their own tech, which has limited application in terms of corporate synergy. You can't just cobble engines together from disparate sources, intreroparability and consistency of toolchain and interface are vital for productivity. So basically paying money for technology that's only going to apply at the sites where it is initially situated dilutes its value.

You need to consider "buying" a company is just a one-off payment for transfer of ownership, its the START of expenditure, not the end, and that investment needs to be recouped. Hiring that same company for development, whilst retaining IP and publishing rights, is far more cost effective and accomplishes the same thing.

If throwing $500m away as a one-off sunk-cost to elevate your business is a viable strategy, spending it on buying a studio is far from the top of the list of smart moves.
You need to keep in mind what kind of a company MS is, they often do precisely this kind of move: buy a studio just so they never develop games for a competing platform again. Just for that reason. They have thrived on this kind of anti-competitive (and in some cases, even unethical) practices for decades.

Damage control for something that didnt even happen or perhaps never will?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Do the math yourself then, its not rocket science.

Right because visual fidelity has nothing to do with evolution of tool sets and engines. As well as new architecture of moden chip design.

It's 100 percent teraflops. A term nobody on this site knew till it became a buzzword by PR.

Because Nintendo never makes some of the best looking games on hardware that's a fraction of the power the competition has.

It's Teraflops and math only. Mhm

Marlenus

Vega is 14nm from GlobalFoundries, Navi20 will be 7nm from TSMC .. TSMC's 7nm should be approximately 40% power use of their comparebale (12/16nm) process, plus a clock speed advantages too (+40%?)

.. so very roughly - take a Vega 64 (300W) - scale to 7nm - now 120W; plus Vega's 11.5TF (13.7 boost) performance now becomes 16.1TF (19.2 boost) .. that's being optimistic with scaling benefits, but maybe Navi improves on Vega too ??

Either way I think 14TF+ is doable under 150W on 7nm.

Vega20 is the 7nm Vega respin.

With the node shrink you get similar performance for half power (so Vega 64 perf at 150W) or you get a 25% clock speed increase. Radeon7 upped clockspeed by around 20% and reduced power usage slightly.

For Navi to be running at 1.8Ghz and consume less power than Vega20 it means there has been a lot of work done improve power consumption.

I think 14TF can be done at around 150W I just am not convinced it will be through clockspeed as historically GCN has really blown up in power usage as you clock higher.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Microsoft is acquiring a studio that used/was very close working with Sony in the past. It's not insomniac though I can tell you that much.

Quantic Dream? Is there any coincidence their stuff is going to end up on the PC now?

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Quantic Dream? Is there any coincidence their stuff is going to end up on the PC now?
Quantic Dream don't need anybody else's money, they are quite happy to be independent and they do more than just games (CGI and mocap for movies/tv/commercials).
Maybe Ready At Dawn?

vpance

Right because visual fidelity has nothing to do with evolution of tool sets and engines. As well as new architecture of moden chip design.

It's 100 percent teraflops. A term nobody on this site knew till it became a buzzword by PR.

Because Nintendo never makes some of the best looking games on hardware that's a fraction of the power the competition has.

It's Teraflops and math only. Mhm

Yeah next gen should be a pretty big jump. Double to triple the amount of memory and bandwidth will be major factors in that. And no more mobile tier CPU too.

We never got games that looked as good as Infiltrator demo, or even Division gameplay reveal trailer this gen. We'll easily surpass those with PS5.

ethomaz

Banned
Vega20 is the 7nm Vega respin.

With the node shrink you get similar performance for half power (so Vega 64 perf at 150W) or you get a 25% clock speed increase. Radeon7 upped clockspeed by around 20% and reduced power usage slightly.

For Navi to be running at 1.8Ghz and consume less power than Vega20 it means there has been a lot of work done improve power consumption.

I think 14TF can be done at around 150W I just am not convinced it will be through clockspeed as historically GCN has really blown up in power usage as you clock higher.
Vega was not designed to take advantage of 7nm... it was just a die shrink to test the new node before AMD work in Navi to take advantage of 7nm node.

So Vega 7nm will never show what 7nm is capable and because that it was a big disappointment.

Navi being GCN is another big disappointment but at least it will take full advantage of 7nm node.

joe_zazen

Don't worry lots of buzz words like ultra PC power mega duper PC architecture 2.0,, 100k server mainframe raytracing tech, Faster then the fastest PC on ssd and GCI trailers of games that all get "optimized in the future" aka downgraded will make it easy for the fans to be hyped about lowish mid range pc hardware in 2020.

It's all about how you bring it in the marketing to the public.

Except they will be facing off against the bigboy $599+ anaconda, which will make the ps5 seem mediocre even if very few actually choose mr snek.

Most people will do a quick ‘xbox vs ps5’ google, unless they are diehards, and i am genuinely curious to see 1) what the top results are in google, post launch and 2) how they will react to the spec rundown now that ms has two genuinely different skus.

The Alien

Banned
Yeah....the rumors were one of the following: Bluepoint, Supermassive, or Ready at Dawn.

Those rumors seemed to have died down recently though. Guess we'll see at E3.

Braldryr

Banned
Yeah....the rumors were one of the following: Bluepoint, Supermassive, or Ready at Dawn.

Those rumors seemed to have died down recently though. Guess we'll see at E3.

I don't think it's Ready at Dawn or Supermassive. Some people thought Quantic Dream as well but if I was a betting man I think Bluepointe makes the most sense honestly.

Microsoft needs a studio to either re-create, remaster or reboot whatever term you wanna use for their old franchise.

I have a good personal connection with Rare for the last few years. With my previous conversations and interviews with a couple of people at Rare from what they told they themselves as a company have no interest in remaking or going back to their old IPs for example Banjo/Perfect Dark.

Now you might be asking then where did Battletoads announcement came from. Well we know that Battletoads is being made by a different studio but also supervised by Rare. There also has been many talks rumors dating as far as back as last year that there is a Reboot coming for Perfect Dark. Not only is it a reboot but the game will also be 3rd person and be a new take on the franchise.

Now as who is making is not really known at this point. The only studios that were suggested or rumored to be making is The Coalition (which makes sense since they have the most experience with third person shooters) another name swung by was Sumo Digital.

Anyways, back to the studio purchase Bluepoint would be perfect because this would allow Microsoft to recreate games such as Banjo or any other popular old titles that the fans have been asking for. Rare has clearly stated to me (and public) multiple times they are no longer interested on focusing or bringing back their old IPs and it's been also confirmed by Phil as well that Rare is a new IP factory.

The nice thing though is that the chance of a Banjo remake or anything of that sorts is possible at some point of time. At this rate, it's a question of when rather than if.

xool

He said this at least 2 times, you can search for them if you want but here’s a link to the 2nd one. He’s just making a fool out of himself as usual. There is a 0% chance possibility that ps5 is 8TF. ZERO.

Dude that's Albert Penello (former MS exec) speculating, not Richard Leadbetter (Digital Foundry) - they don't even look similar !

I hope most AAA games next gen target 1080p and wait for PS5 Pro to up the resolution.
The biggest bullet points for next gen are 4K and 8k upscaling. 1080p will be supported but with super sampling most likely. Microsoft’s dual SKU approach is a good one mainly because 5-6TF will get you next gen graphics and features, the additional 7-10TF are for pushing those next gen graphics to 4K resolutions. All those Teraflops will be waisted on 4K content unless developers want to figure out different ways to use them.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Except they will be facing off against the bigboy $599+ anaconda, which will make the ps5 seem mediocre even if very few actually choose mr snek.

Most people will do a quick ‘xbox vs ps5’ google, unless they are diehards, and i am genuinely curious to see 1) what the top results are in google, post launch and 2) how they will react to the spec rundown now that ms has two genuinely different skus.

Bigboy? Edgy my boiiiii lol

This shit laughable. Mistermedia I see has infiltrated many and Microsoft usual PR hot air hype. I'm going to laugh if PS5 ends up edging out little rattle snake in specs after all this. We know Microsofts pr talk usually amounts to nada like the cloud, milo and smoke and mirror kinect. Sony bringing those guns for real and will not be slacking.

And let's not forget, even with a several hundred dollar difference, a year and a half later start and multiplats looking worse bcus developers couldn't master the cell, PS3 still outsold Xbox 360 during its lifetime almost every month worldwide. Sony mindshare is just too much.

Lets not forget also Sony first parties still look overall better even on weaker hardware :) Those ppl do magic.

Last edited:

demigod

Dude that's Albert Penello (former MS exec) speculating, not Richard Leadbetter (Digital Foundry) - they don't even look similar !

What are you talking about? He asked about Penello. And both of them are trying to downplay PS5 saying its going to be 8TF.

Last edited:

xool

What are you talking about? He asked about Penello. And both of them are trying to downplay PS5 saying its going to be 8TF.

Post I saw was about Leadbetter :

demigod

Last edited:

xool

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
Panello confirmed Sony was working on 8TF target 😂😂😂

Lol, to be fair not even Sony would know the final target so ahead of time as this target constantly moves, just like their original plan of 4GB of GDDR5 doubling to 8GB of GDDR5 right at the end. If Panello claimed that Sony was targeting 4GB of system ram for PS4, would he be wrong?

What blows my mind is this spec.

24GB of system ram for PS5... that's beastly!
DWrI2JY.gif

Last edited:

demigod

Panello confirmed Sony was working on 8TF target 😂😂😂
So 12-13TF then

Than HBM2, might still be expensive compared to gddr6
Don't get me wrong, i would love 24gb of hbm3 but it might not be worth the cost when gddr6 can already hit 880GB/s

omg really?

Got a link? Im also curious about the 8tf Ledbetter quote source
..He asked about the Leadbetter source : " Got a link? Im also curious about the 8tf Ledbetter quote source "

It looked like he was giving the source in this reply https://www.neogaf.com/threads/rumor-ps5-devkits-13-tflops.1479115/page-4#post-254147134

.. i don't even know anymore .

Seriously, learn to read. Etho was talking about Penello and SonGoku asked for a link for PENELLO he "ALSO" asked for a quote source of Leadbetter.

rəddəM

We better get ready for some eye melting CGI like gameplay thanks to Ray Tracing HW support.
There's checkerboard, dynamic res, DLSS or cheaper/better temporal AA, Variable Rate Shading and traditional rasterisation to compensate the resource heavy RT.
And RT changes everything. Minecraft is the proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom