• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS5 devkits ~ 13 TFLOPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
There is two Panello posts the first one linked here and the second where he confirm he believes Sony will target 8TFs at $399.

I’m on phone so it hard to find the post in that thread with pages per minute 😂😂😂

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeah next gen should be a pretty big jump. Double to triple the amount of memory and bandwidth will be major factors in that. And no more mobile tier CPU too.

We never got games that looked as good as Infiltrator demo, or even Division gameplay reveal trailer this gen. We'll easily surpass those with PS5.

We've had a few games that look as good as the Infiltrator demo. They just weren't open world games.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Signs are pointing to them using hdd with some kind of magic to make it faster than ssd. And if that rumor is true about hardware raytracing, oh my.

He said this at least 2 times, you can search for them if you want but here’s a link to the 2nd one. He’s just making a fool out of himself as usual. There is a 0% chance possibility that ps5 is 8TF. ZERO.

Shhhh let the haters believe its 8tf, it suits their narrative tht PS5 will definitely be weaker hardware, you know just because someone at Microsoft said so 😂😂

That someone must be CEO of Microsoft and Sony.

The rumors are aligning for a pretty interesting machine this time around as well!

I wish there was some secret sauce (HBM + really fast storage may do it for consoles).
I will never understand why anyone cares for this tflop comparison . The difference between 14-11 or 11-9 etc.. is minimal . The the actual power lies in the game engines.
While I agree with you that a 1 or 2TF difference at this point would not count for much, not in many situations, and assuming everything else is equal. I don't think you can completely dismiss it by saying "the actual power lies in the game engines" I mean... they run on the hardware, or if you like snippets "software is a feature of the hardware" (I don't know who said this, but it does make sense).

vpance

We've had a few games that look as good as the Infiltrator demo. They just weren't open world games.

I think some came close, but not in realtime gameplay. What games are you thinking of? I'd put some parts of Beyond up there, but being very linear helped it.

You need to keep in mind what kind of a company MS is, they often do precisely this kind of move: buy a studio just so they never develop games for a competing platform again. Just for that reason. They have thrived on this kind of anti-competitive (and in some cases, even unethical) practices for decades.

Is this another play on the 'MS war chest' crap we get at the start of the gen? Even here, in a tech thread, we can't escspe it. GTFO.

Wasn’t Rare fairly high budget? That aside, They had the money to buy off Minecraft, halo and gears, let alone developers.

But I digress, I doubt Insomniac would allow themselves to be fully bought by any publisher.

Yeah they had the money to buy Rare...and then killed Rare🙄

Ar¢tos

I don't think it's Ready at Dawn or Supermassive. Some people thought Quantic Dream as well but if I was a betting man I think Bluepointe makes the most sense honestly.

Microsoft needs a studio to either re-create, remaster or reboot whatever term you wanna use for their old franchise.

I have a good personal connection with Rare for the last few years. With my previous conversations and interviews with a couple of people at Rare from what they told they themselves as a company have no interest in remaking or going back to their old IPs for example Banjo/Perfect Dark.

Now you might be asking then where did Battletoads announcement came from. Well we know that Battletoads is being made by a different studio but also supervised by Rare. There also has been many talks rumors dating as far as back as last year that there is a Reboot coming for Perfect Dark. Not only is it a reboot but the game will also be 3rd person and be a new take on the franchise.

Now as who is making is not really known at this point. The only studios that were suggested or rumored to be making is The Coalition (which makes sense since they have the most experience with third person shooters) another name swung by was Sumo Digital.

Anyways, back to the studio purchase Bluepoint would be perfect because this would allow Microsoft to recreate games such as Banjo or any other popular old titles that the fans have been asking for. Rare has clearly stated to me (and public) multiple times they are no longer interested on focusing or bringing back their old IPs and it's been also confirmed by Phil as well that Rare is a new IP factory.

The nice thing though is that the chance of a Banjo remake or anything of that sorts is possible at some point of time. At this rate, it's a question of when rather than if.
Bluepoint is not in any financial difficulty (they were actually expanding and hiring). I can't imagine any worse situation for them than being bought and suddenly told what they have to do and how. They are another studio that can be independent without any money issues since any publisher will quickly hire them for high-quality remakes/remasters.

demigod

Is this another play on the 'MS war chest' crap we get at the start of the gen? Even here, in a tech thread, we can't escspe it. GTFO.

I don't think that's what he meant. But there ARE other people that were claiming this in the other threads. Which doesn't make sense because there was no way MS lost money if any at all when the xbox one launched. PS4 made their money back with a PSN sub at $399 meanwhile MS launched a weaker console at $499 and the Kinect at best costed $25.

mckmas8808

I think some came close, but not in realtime gameplay. What games are you thinking of? I'd put some parts of Beyond up there, but being very linear helped it.

Yes, Beyond, Uncharted 4 (weird choice by me because it's hard to compare), Spiderman, Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 Pro.

Remember this is what their demo UE4 demo from 2013 looked like.
1b368da6-de2d-423c-9f76-3ee4910f1529-original.png

ad3ee018-c7ac-468e-bb2f-3f84b9dd1a4e-original.png

28b21626-e917-433b-9808-9aeaa8d59a20-original.png

xool

Seriously, learn to read. Etho was talking about Penello and SonGoku asked for a link for PENELLO he "ALSO" asked for a quote source of Leadbetter.

Yeah he asked for a source for Leadbetter and got one from Penello .. it's there in black and white - I read it

Did Leadbetter ever say 8 tf ??

Last edited:

demigod

There is two Panello posts the first one linked here and the second where he confirm he believes Sony will target 8TFs at $399.

I’m on phone so it hard to find the post in that thread with pages per minute 😂😂😂
Yeah he asked for a source for Leadbetter and got one from Penello .. it's there in black and white - I read it

Did Leadbetter ever say 8 tf ??

It's time for you to go back to school and learn to read. Even ethomaz replied about it, christ.

vpance

Yes, Beyond, Uncharted 4 (weird choice by me because it's hard to compare), Spiderman, Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 Pro.

Remember this is what their demo UE4 demo from 2013 looked like.
1b368da6-de2d-423c-9f76-3ee4910f1529-original.png

ad3ee018-c7ac-468e-bb2f-3f84b9dd1a4e-original.png

28b21626-e917-433b-9808-9aeaa8d59a20-original.png

Static screens are a little deceiving. In motion it's still impressive for sure. The difference could be all the post FX and shadow quality that most of the best games this gen can't match.

U4 is a hard comparison yeah due to the difference in art style. TLoU2 will probably be the best we get this gen though. Almost forgot.

mckmas8808

Static screens are a little deceiving. In motion it's still impressive for sure. The difference could be all the post FX and shadow quality that most of the best games this gen can't match.

U4 is a hard comparison yeah due to the difference in art style. TLoU2 will probably be the best we get this gen though. Almost forgot.

The shadows weren't matched. You're completely right about that. Everything else (even in motion) has just about been met within reason. That video basically showed what the "best\top of the line" PS4 generation games would look like.

Braldryr

Banned
Bluepoint is not in any financial difficulty (they were actually expanding and hiring). I can't imagine any worse situation for them than being bought and suddenly told what they have to do and how. They are another studio that can be independent without any money issues since any publisher will quickly hire them for high-quality remakes/remasters.

What does a expanding and hiring has to do with being or not being bought? Money talks, anyone can come up to anyone else and offer $$$ and condition. If they want to accept they'll accept if not then whatever.

You don't have to be in a bad financial situation to be offered to be bought out lol. Maybe Microsoft offered Bluepoint good chunk and conditions that fit their needs. Why would them being bought be a bad thing?

Rare as a studio has a lot of freedom. Yeah, I wont lie getting them to do Kinect was clearly a failed experiment but the lesson is obviously learned.

Don Matrrick is also out of the picture and Phil is much better. Microsoft back then is not the Microsoft we have today.

SonGoku

He said this at least 2 times, you can search for them if you want but here’s a link to the 2nd one. He’s just making a fool out of himself as usual. There is a 0% chance possibility that ps5 is 8TF. ZERO.
Wow embarrassing, i can't believe PR will run his mouth like that, not only is the 8tf claim ludicrous but his suggestion that Pro should become the entry level proves he doesn't know or understand anything, he is just talking out of his ass like the last time
I'd be more impressed by the cpu upgrade, finally easy 60fps.
Im sorry to burst your bubble but you need gpu headroom for 60fps, maybe in 1080p mode for some games.
.. i don't even know anymore .
I was indeed asking for both sources: Panello and Leadbetter
Maybe i wrote with broken English.

Ar¢tos

What does a expanding and hiring has to do with being or not being bought? Money talks, anyone can come up to anyone else and offer $$$ and condition. If they want to accept they'll accept if not then whatever.

You don't have to be in a bad financial situation to be offered to be bought out lol. Maybe Microsoft offered Bluepoint good chunk and conditions that fit their needs. Why would them being bought be a bad thing?

Rare as a studio has a lot of freedom. Yeah, I wont lie getting them to do Kinect was clearly a failed experiment but the lesson is obviously learned.

Don Matrrick is also out of the picture and Phil is much better. Microsoft back then is not the Microsoft we have today.
MS seems to be focusing on studios not doing so well. Many studios have zero desire to be bought, no matter how much money is offered.

mckmas8808

Nah that has happened many times in regards to deleting a tweet and the info came out to be true like the deleted tweet. He is just back tracking because he probably got a call on his bat phone to take tht info down asap 😂😂 Come on we all been around long enough to know how these things go.

So it makes the tweet even more true lol. Awesome!!

vpance

The shadows weren't matched. You're completely right about that. Everything else (even in motion) has just about been met within reason. That video basically showed what the "best\top of the line" PS4 generation games would look like.

Shadows are so important to realism of the scene. If the rumored specs are true and with RT support, it might be the first console gen without any glaring weak point. Pretty amazing I think.

SonGoku

Instead of having a specialized chip for parts of the ray-tracing pipeline they can add the functions at the driver level
And how is that different from pc? i thought you meant an apu (cpu, gpu, memory sub systems) designed around rt

bitbydeath

What are you talking about? He asked about Penello. And both of them are trying to downplay PS5 saying its going to be 8TF.

Maybe Sony fed out that information to trick MS which is why they announced last E3 that they’d have the more powerful console.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Quantic Dream don't need anybody else's money, they are quite happy to be independent and they do more than just games (CGI and mocap for movies/tv/commercials).
Maybe Ready At Dawn?

Ready At Dawn would actually be a very strong technical partner for their game studios!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
As long as they do another short tech demo like "the order"!

The Order 1886 is a lot better than many people give it credit to, but it is useful to have people very technically minded too (... and with good artists too) when you are a console manufacturer as you need titles that show it off as well as the right people that help you design what the developers actually need. Sony is benefiting a lot from its 1st party teams and third party partners.

Codes 208

Yeah they had the money to buy Rare...and then killed Rare🙄
Tbf, while overhyped and launching abysmal. Their support for sea of thieves has been somewhat aspiring and a return to form of sorts (or atleast I would take that over nuts and bolts, their one game before they became a Kinect shitfest) hell, viva piñata was Xbox and that game is amazing. Out of anything was Kinect that killed rare. Without the Kinect, rare can at least spread their creativity again.

So I’m atleast hopeful their next game will bring back those old rare vibes.

Last edited:
8k upscaling.

They better got a hardware solution for that. But i suspect the 8k is as geat as its RT is.

We better get ready for some eye melting CGI like gameplay thanks to Ray Tracing HW support.
There's checkerboard, dynamic res, DLSS or cheaper/better temporal AA, Variable Rate Shading and traditional rasterisation to compensate the resource heavy RT.
And RT changes everything. Minecraft is the proof.

What we allready got,

This one's eye watering too realtime

Seeing MS is heavy on DXR and more-powerful HW for Xbox (PC and Console), we might see things like that, it could be interesting. My eyes already melted, PS5 wont top that, as those are driven by a single 2080Ti which mid end navi wont match. I think 32GB was needed and an 16 core high clocked cpu.

Seeing this could be created in just one hour, by one person.

Things like MC and Q2 are amazing too, considering:

Nah, will be hard to impress me after all this violence.

He's just covering his ass. He's been hearing things since last year.

Damage control, before the specs even landed.

CyberPanda

Banned

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Found these if anyone is interested:

One says a dev kit is 20gb ram + 1TB + ssd

The other says a dev kit is 36gb ram + 2TB + ssd

Ram and storage not even close.

thelastword

Banned
Everyone and their grandmother's has leaks these days............E3 will be interesting...MS was the first to say they're working on something. With all of these leaks, there's no doubt that we will be hearing something concrete from MS soon.....Sony gave us a morsel.....It's all now on MS to lay out their plan....I suspect Smirking Phil will come on stage come June and spill all his plans.....November 2019 or March 2020.....XB2 with Halo Infinite, The Initiative Teaser, some new studio purchase and some third party deals......I think MS will go first this time around, despite the most powerful rhetoric you've been hearing.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom