• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Red Dead Redemption HD on its way to PS4, X1, and PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

blanco21

17hswr51ykgygjpg.jpg

Ocarina of Time was released like this in some European countries (copy in english and script book translated to your language), but I though these type of localization were buried in the past now.

i would love to try this once - i.e., jp only game with a legit english script/translation/follow-along book. does anyone have any recommendations?

Yeah I feel pretty confident it's not a remaster. The person's tone and emphasis on 'exciting' suggested it is a new title under a pre-existing IP.

That's good to hear, though I'm not getting my hopes up too much yet, you never know with R*.
Thanks for the nugget of info.

What sales? People are delusional thinking that b/c would make a dent if the remaster happened.

I'm with you here.
BC on X1 would provide minuscule sales compared to a full blown PS4/X1/PC port.

Not that hard to understand imo.

I think it's because it controls like shit, like most other R* titles.

It really does. I played it last week and my oh my its seams are really showing.

I get a lot of people love RDR, and it is an interesting game, but in a lot of ways it is "just" GTA in the old west. With quests and skinning animals. Which is good or bad depending on what you want from the game. It feels a whole lot more unimpressive to me lately though.

In some ways I'd even say Red Dead Revolver is the more interesting game. No open world so there is no repetitive travelling time, and especially the boss fights which include a lot of weird fantastical stuff are a lot more interesting.

thecjm

I think it's because it controls like shit, like most other R* titles.

I used to have this problem with R* games. Had a real tough time getting anything done in the PS2 era GTA games. I'm crap at aiming with thumbsticks. RDR was the first game of theirs I was actually able to complete. For me, the snap-aim feature worked really, really well.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Just barely played via BC on the One S. Game looked fantastic.

Don't think an HD port will entice me to buy again unless it has mod support on PC.

The PS3 version being a sub 720p, struggling to maintain 30FPS with less foliage density than the XB 360 version, I wouldn't mind a full HD remake but I'd be very surprised if it were to happen considering the time that has passed and the effort that would be required to properly do it even if Rockstar is leaving money on the table.

Gothos

How's the website reporting it, anyone? Click baiting regularly or actually legit? "News" like this pop out quite often, lately...

Possibility of this being one of those games where you preorder RDR3 and get a remastered RDR2 bonus like dishonored and South Park are doing? Does not mean that RDR3 is not being announced?

Sjefen

wouldnt mind playing it in higher resolution and framerate. And better shadows. And better lighting. And better...fuck it do a remaster

Mogwai

After this long silence from Rockstar I would be super disappointed by a RDR remaster.

We need a new game...

kaskade

I would buy this in a heartbeat. It would be a good release between their next new release. I can't believe gta was originally released 3 years ago already.

After this long silence from Rockstar I would be super disappointed by a RDR remaster.

We need a new game...
Yep. I don't have a problem with remasters but this would be ridiculous if there isn't also a RD3 announcement of some kind. It'd be so underwhelming.

OCD Guy

What sales? People are delusional thinking that b/c would make a dent if the remaster happened.

You're right, making a game backwards compatible before a remaster makes perfect sense.

Activision should make COD4 backwards compatible now too. It won't even make a dent.

Infact if Sony had made the PS4 backwards compatible we'd still have got remasters of god of war 3, last of us, and things like the uncharted collection. PS NOW would still make perfect sense too even if we had backwards compatibility.

You're right, making a game backwards compatible before a remaster makes perfect sense.

Activision should make COD4 backwards compatible now too.

Infact if Sony had made the PS4 backwards compatible we'd still have got remasters of god of war 3, last of us, and things like the uncharted collection.

COD4 is already B/C, PC exists. And you say GoW3, TLoU and UC, I'll raise you Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, Bioshock Collection, Skyrim Remastered, Sleeping Dogs Remastered.

Plus Microsoft made Gears of War B/C and also sold a remaster for the X1.

Why...all these remasterings of things, I know some people like this but I rather have time and focus on something new, but i guess people buy the crap out of reshaping titles.

gnomed

One less reason to keep my PS3 around, the framerate is terrible.
I was never able to get that far into it. But did put up with some of the issues before the PS3 I was using went belly up including my save. Dragon's Dogma this wasn't.

Please be real.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Activision should make COD4 backwards compatible now too. It won't even make a dent.

Infact if Sony had made the PS4 backwards compatible we'd still have got remasters of god of war 3, last of us, and things like the uncharted collection. PS NOW would still make perfect sense too even if we had backwards compatibility.

It could well be that the buzz the Xbox 1 BC got spurred them to do the remake and tap the PS4 and PC markets that don't have access to the game currently. i.e. it showed them that there was interest in the game, especially among PC gamers who have never had access to it on that platform.

Plus, if a sequel is planned, it's a good way to generate more buzz, vs. just having it BC on a console that hasn't sold well at all outside of North America and the UK.

OCD Guy

COD4 is already B/C, PC exists. And you say GoW3, TLoU and UC, I'll raise you Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, Bioshock Collection, Skyrim Remastered, Sleeping Dogs Remastered.

Plus Microsoft made Gears of War B/C and also sold a remaster for the X1.

There's a reason "remasters" aren't generally made on PC, because B/C is a thing as you say. Which is kinda my point.

If you honestly think we'd have had the amount of remasters we've gotten (and are getting in the future) if b/c was a thing on the ps4 then I disagree.

I don't doubt there are people that will always want to play the "definitive" version of a game. I'd rather play the uncharted remasters at 60fps than a b/c ps3 version, but I feel that had you been able to play your ps3 copies on the ps4 then it would have taken away some sales.

COD4 is a good example I think, if you could play cod4 on the ps4 now with online features I think that would have made a massive dent, and we'd likely not have seen a remastered version at all.

Obviously it's something we'll never know, as it's not happened.

Also your Gears example is an exception to the rule in my opinion.

It could well be that the buzz the Xbox 1 BC got spurred them to do the remake and tap the PS4 and PC markets that don't have access to the game currently. i.e. it showed them that there was interest in the game, especially among PC gamers who have never had access to it on that platform.

Plus, if a sequel is planned, it's a good way to generate more buzz, vs. just having it BC on a console that hasn't sold well at all outside of North America and the UK.

To be honest while I will never know the answer, I'd have loved to see if GTA V was backwards compatible on the PS4 and Xbox One, what the sales of the "new" GTA V would have been.

I'd love to see what impact it would actually have made, but unfortunately we're never going to be able to find the answer, and while I don't doubt it would still have sold a large amount of copies, I think it would have had a noticeable effect on sales.

t26

i would love to try this once - i.e., jp only game with a legit english script/translation/follow-along book. does anyone have any recommendations?

There is a script out there for Tales of Destiny 2 PS2 and Tales of Rebirth that would allow you to understand the story.

Not a fan of remasters. In this case, with RDR not being available on PC, and only playable on X1 B/C I can understand it. Giving the possibility of choice is always good.

Really curious how well it will sell on X1 now that it's B/C. I guess it will depends on the new features and the quality of the remaster (GTA V was a good one, I've been told)

Raven77

So Sony is showcasing their powerhouse console with a Remaster of a 7th gen game?

I dont think so

This here is not the case, the website is claiming that the info is from its sources

And the Siren thing was rated there so the game could be released on PS Plus as it did in June

Haha yeah this makes no sense at all. Sony - "Hi everyone. Here is the NEO! And here is a 6 year old game you can play on it!"

Don't get me wrong, RDR is in my top ten of all time but Sony pushing the NEO with this game makes zero sense. I have a feeling if this DOES happen it could be a pre order bonus for the sequel like call of duty is doing.

There's a reason "remasters" aren't generally made on PC, because B/C is a thing as you say. Which is kinda my point.

If you honestly think we'd have had the amount of remasters we've gotten (and are getting in the future) if b/c was a thing on the ps4 then I disagree.

I don't doubt there are people that will always want to play the "definitive" version of a game. I'd rather play the uncharted remasters at 60fps than a b/c ps3 version, but I feel that had you been able to play your ps3 copies on the ps4 then it would have taken away some sales.

COD4 is a good example I think, if you could play cod4 on the ps4 now with online features I think that would have made a massive dent, and we'd likely not have seen a remastered version at all.

Obviously it's something we'll never know, as it's not happened.

Also your Gears example is an exception to the rule in my opinion.

The majority of people will always look for the better version of a game, add more points to that if the game was already good in the first place. Some will choose other options ("I want portability", "my friends play there", "I like the controller") but unless the user base of the other platform(s) is huge that number will not change much.

B/C is a good thing for enthusiasts.

mauaus

Haha yeah this makes no sense at all. Sony - "Hi everyone. Here is the NEO! And here is a 6 year old game you can play on it!"

Don't get me wrong, RDR is in my top ten of all time but Sony pushing the NEO with this game makes zero sense. I have a feeling if this DOES happen it could be a pre order bonus for the sequel like call of duty is doing.

Not just any 6 year old game

Revan

While I want this to be true - not getting my hopes up.

I do, however, think that we are getting the RDR3 trailer that was supposed to be at the end of the Sony E3 conference.

EDIT: I wonder if the BC on the X1 was R* way of seeing whether or not the interest would be sky high for a proper port/remaster, a la TLOU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom