• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Ryan Phillippe to play Iron Fist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

massoluk

Banned
Wow, Ryan Phillippe is already 40? Seems like yesterday that I saw his tongue intertwined with Gwyneth Paltrow's.
edit: bwahaa, sorry, wrong guy. I was thinking Great Expectation, not Cruel Intention.

GDGF

Soothsayer
is this the guy who's married to buffy?

I dunno if they're married. He boinged her (or came damn close) in the movie Cruel Intentions.

Also, she was his stepsister in that flick.

J40ky4C.gif

Yep.

Caboose

He's got the looks and martial arts chops for Iron Fist, but also Moon Knight, and Bullseye, and some others I'm sure.

Sheroking

Because it's martial arts based and they stereotyped it in their head that it has to be an Asian.

Or, and I'm just speculating here, it's about the cringe I feel in my soul when I think about all those magical Asian side characters in a show about eastern mysticism and martial arts - being led by a blonde haired, blue eyed white dude.

Marvel has no meaningful Asian characters. This was their best shot.

kirblar

The reason for going with an Asian guy is simple: there aren't any good male Asian heroes floating around, and the important thing about Iron Fist's origin isn't his skin color- it's that he's culturally American and a fish out of water.
Or, and I'm just speculating here, it's about the cringe I feel in my soul when I think about all those magical Asian side characters in a show about eastern mysticism and martial arts - being led by a blonde haired, blue eyed white dude.
This too.

guek

Banned
why would you want an asian guy to play Iron Fist?

Why wouldn't you just make the series about Shang-Chi in that case?

Because we're never ever going to get a Shang-Chi series :-(

Changing Iron Fist into an Asian honestly looks worse in my opinion because it then plays right into a stereotype

It can but doesn't have to. An Asian American Danny Rand could accomplish much of the same character arcs without the mighty whitey problems. Again though, Danny being white doesn't have to be a problem either.

Szu

So he's supposed to be a Kung Fu superhero? Why can't they get a Chinese-American to play the part...

Iron Fist isn't a Kung Fu superhero. His primary martial art is derived from K'un-Lun's fighting system.

And even if it was Kung Fu, why does it have to be a Chinese-American, as if Chinese people are the only ones that are able to practice Kung Fu?

Sou Da

Just because you don't care about Shang Chi doesn't mean that Marvel should have to completely change Danny Rand

Sheroking

Just because you don't care about Shang Chi doesn't mean that Marvel should have to completely change Danny Rand

I'm talking about the MCU.

There's not one damn thing that would need to change about Danny Rand if he were an Asian American.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo

Shang-Chi?

I was going to say he might be too old for Iron Fist, but after looking at some screencaps from Secrets and Lies, I'm going to take that back. I think he's a good choice if they actually give him some time to train a bit in martial arts.

Dynomutt

The reason for going with an Asian guy is simple: there aren't any
good male Asian heroes
floating around, and the important thing about Iron Fist's origin isn't his skin color- it's that he's culturally American and a fish out of water.

Tom Wu - Hundred Eyes - Marco Polo on Netflix
Marco-Polo-Character-Poster-Tom-Wu.jpg

Did not expect it to be what it was.

Sephzilla

Im generally just against changing the ethnicity of characters. I wasn't in the camp that wanted Donald Glover to be Peter Parker. I wasn't fond of The Last Airbender movie whitewashing its cast. Etc. Turning Danny Rand into an Asian replaces one movie trope with another more immediate cringe-inducing one.

I'm... okay with this. I'm indifferent to Phillipe. He's kind of a blank slate to me, like Cox was a blank slate to me as Matt Murdock. I only really knew of Krysten Ritter, which is why I'm super excited for Jessica Jones.

Imagine a Moon Knight show taking visual inspiration from the Ellis run.

Showrun by Hannibal's Bryan Fuller.

Hmm, so much for getting an Asian guy to play Iron Fist.

This would remove one of the more interesting things about Iron Fist and his backstory.

Also, hopefully the show will have Shang-Chi in it, because his and Danny's friendship is super interesting.

guek

Banned

Making him Asian wouldn't have to completely change Danny Rand. Him being white isn't important for reasons other than being out of his element in K'un-Lun and that can be done easily with any ethnicity.

This could easily be casting for anybody on the two remaining Netflix Marvel shows. I mean, these aren't shows with a single character.

So, what suggests it's Danny Rand other than blonde hair?

Quake, who's practically the main character of Agents of SHIELD, is Asian though.

But I guess Asian women tend to be better represented than males in western media anyway.

This would remove one of the more interesting things about Iron Fist and his backstory.
The argument is that orientalism is overdone in Western media and has some sort of western superiority undertones to it. People were more asking for an Asian-AMERICAN to play a hero and a title character, not just an Asian, which Shang-Chi would be.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This could easily be casting for anybody on the two remaining Netflix Marvel shows. I mean, these aren't shows with a single character.

Hey.

Maybe he's Orson Randall.

Ridley327

I could actually picture him as Danny's dad and have a supporting role via flashbacks to when Danny was a kid.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Ryan Phillipe...eh, sure I guess?

pshhh Iron Fist is the gimpest of the weapons theres like 6 others all Asians in Kun Lun , not the end of the world. And Shang Chi needs to come anyway would be perfect along with Colleen and Misty

marvel you can do no wrong do it!

Really, really hope they come on as secondary characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom