• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Ryan Phillippe to play Iron Fist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronin Ray

While I do hope for more Asian actors being cast as superheroes, I really don't want one for Iron Fist. It just kinda plays into a stereotype.

I am in the same boat. I think casting an Asian person for this role would be worse and more racist then if they didn't. It's like hey we got this iron fist guy who knows martial arts so of course we got to turn him Asian . You want to be progressive cast Brian Tee as Punisher and watch the internet have a meltdown.

I guess... I'm ok with this? Maybe? I don't know.

I really want a series about badass kung fu battles. Like a 1970's kung fu flick, but with modern production values and sensibilities as much as possible. I guess since he wears a mask it wouldn't really matter since it'd be a stunt double doing a lot of the actual fighting.

notworksafe

Not really. Would be cool to have an Asian superhero, and martials arts is a big part of Chinese culture. Isn't Iron Fist inspired by Bruce Lee and the martial arts movies in the 70s?

Say what you like but the fact that you immediately jumped to Kung Fu = needs to be Chinese might mean you need to look in the mirror and examine.

If it's between that and the Mighty Whitey trope, it's an easy decision.

All Chinese dudes are Kung Fu master is much better eh?

Not really. Would be cool to have an Asian superhero, and martials arts is a big part of Chinese culture. Isn't Iron Fist inspired by Bruce Lee and the martial arts movies in the 70s?
That would be Shang Chi.

Iron Fist is based on an old 1940s character called the Amazing Man.

guek

Banned
So because he knows Kung Fu he's gotta be Chinese? Sounds a little suspect to me dawg.

OR...OR...they could actually play on that stereotype and have Danny be initially inept and feel like he should somehow already be a martial artist. I got made fun of a ton for being Asian as a kid by people pantomiming Kung Fu, imitating Bruce Lee, etc. They could work with that.

Coincidentally, I went on to be heavily involved in martial arts as an adolescent :p

Cynar

Wow first post doesn't even know who the fuck Danny Rand is and wants to play into a horrible stereotype. What the hell.

I hate when people are wanting to race swap characters, we need more strong characters of all ethnicities. We don't need to change existing ones and ignore the history/slap fans of those characters in the face.

I hope this rumour comes true, I think he could pull it off.

OR...OR...they could actually play on that stereotype and have Danny be initially inept and feel like he should somehow already be a martial artist. I got made fun of a ton for being Asian as a kid by people pantomiming Kung Fu, imitating Bruce Lee, etc. They could work with that.

Coincidentally, I went on to be heavily involved in martial arts as an adolescent :p

Or they could stick with the source material for Iron Fist

Or if they go with your idea call him a completely different hero not called Iron Fist and not piss on any fans?

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
While I do hope for more Asian actors being cast as superheroes, I really don't want one for Iron Fist. It just kinda plays into a stereotype.

Yet the only marvel male asian American character I can think of is Shang chi. They basically just have a Bruce Lee knockoff, wonderful.

Loxley

I think there are a lot of people who don't know that Iron Fist is a very, very white guy.

gA7TnpV.jpg

Karl Urban for Frank Castle.

It's destiny.

I wonder what Ryan Phillipe's done in his career to make Marvel think he'd be perfect for Iron Fist.

The only Phillipe flick I can remember watching is MacGruber

theWB27

I can't stand looking at Ryan on screen...I also don't know much about Iron Fist. Idk how to feel about this at all.

guek

Banned
Or they could stick with the source material for Iron Fist

Or if they go with your idea call him a completely different hero not called Iron Fist and not piss on any fans?

Him not being white does not make him a completely different character.

Or, and I'm just speculating here, it's about the cringe I feel in my soul when I think about all those magical Asian side characters in a show about eastern mysticism and martial arts - being led by a blonde haired, blue eyed white dude.

Marvel has no meaningful Asian characters. This was their best shot.

Kamala Khan aka Ms Marvel?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
SO instead every asian guy knows kung fu "trope"?

All Chinese dudes are Kung Fu master is much better eh?

Replacing a trope with a stereotype is probably worse

There's like zero representation right now. So if I had to choose from a sub-optimal representation or having someone stand-in for it, then yeah, I'd choose it.

It's only the Mighty Whitey trope if he actually beats up the other immortal weapons

Fat Cobra trashes him all the time.
Would love to see the other Immortal Weapons, but I doubt they're going to dive into them in the first season.

kirblar

I believe Iron Fist was inspired from the Kung Fu TV series specifically.

Sephzilla

There's like zero representation right now. So if I had to choose from a sub-optimal representation or having someone stand-in for it, then yeah, I'd choose it.

I'd prefer the better option - dont gender swap existing characters just to say "look, we're diverse" and instead make some new good asian superheroes.

dabig2

As for the potential casting of Phillippe, I"m eh about it. Was kinda hoping for someone like Ryan Kwanten (Jason Stackhouse from True Blood) or Jensen Ackles.

Sephzilla

It's nice to want things that have no chance of headlining on TV or film.

People 10 years ago would have laughed at you if told them Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man were getting movies. At this point I think plenty of Marvel properties at least have a shot.

xemumanic

Besides the ironically stupid questions about why a white man is playing......a white dude, If I'm not mistaken, Ryan is a black belt in TKD, and used to compete in his teens. Who knows if he's kept up with it. I guess he has.

Tom Wu - Hundred Eyes - Marco Polo on Netflix
Did not expect it to be what it was.
Favorite character in the whole show. Can't wait for season 2.

I loved him in The Way of the Gun.

Obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xsaMcw69D8
I laugh every single fucking time.
Karl Urban for Frank Castle.

It's destiny.

Imokaywiththis.png

I've never read Iron Fist, so I have no real horse in this race. I'm seriously hoping Netflix continues to expand the MCU with more "street level" (or whatever that thread title was) characters like this though. Loved Daredevil, who I'd also never really read. (Sue me, I'd read mostly X stuff...

And West Coast Avengers back in the day! Moon Knight, wut wut!)

Again. Watch Agents of SHIELD. The Marvel TV division has actually been a lot more diverse with their casting than the film division in terms of making things less than an old boys club.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I'd prefer the better option - dont gender swap existing characters just to say "look, we're diverse" and instead make some new good asian superheroes.

Well yeah, I'd love to see Agent Woo, Amadeus Cho, or any other Asian characters show up. But I'm not exactly holding my breath.

Again. Watch Agents of SHIELD. The Marvel TV division has actually been a lot more diverse with their casting than the film division in terms of making things less than an old boys club.
I do. The last time (that I can remember) they had any asian men on was in Season 1... in one episode.

guek

Banned
People 10 years ago would have laughed at you if told them Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man were getting movies. At this point I think plenty of Marvel properties at least have a shot.

...not Shang-Chi. He might show up but he'll never headline his own show or movie.

Maybe Kamala in 10 years. What else are Asians supposed to hope for from Marvel? A Psylocke movie starring Olivia Munn? I'm actually extremely happy Chloe Benett and Ming-Na Wen are stars of AoS but even there, they share the stage with Coulson.

Take a look at this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Asian_superheroes

Are you expecting a Amadeus Cho show anytime soon?

Ultima_5

Do you even know who Iron Fist is?

Or you?

this.

kinda funny when part of the iron fist story is about how he's an outsider.

people will be trying to be un racist they'll be complaining when it isn't an asian guy doing karate.
bit ironic

though i guess they could make it an asian america and have that be the fish out of water perspective

also the actor in the OP is pretty old. I'd assume they'd want someone younger

guek

Banned
this.

kinda funny when part of the iron fist story is about how he's an outsider.

people trying to be so un racist they'll be complaining when it isn't an asian guy doing karate.

Asian guys can be outsiders too. Asian guys can be outsiders among other Asian guys.

Source: my life

I want to be clear here though that I'm not saying Danny has to be Asian or even should. I'm saying he could without losing much of anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom