• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Ryan Phillippe to play Iron Fist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

why would you want an asian guy to play Iron Fist?

Why wouldn't you just make the series about Shang-Chi in that case?

loved this guy in Anti-Trust but.... he's far too old for Iron Fist.

Why don't you ask for Shang Chi to show up instead?
For real

I'm just so tired of the Mighty Whitey trope that I really hope the Marvel-Netflix version of Iron Fist change the ethnicity.
You don't know the Heavenly Cities

this.

kinda funny when part of the iron fist story is about how he's an outsider.

people will be trying to be un racist they'll be complaining when it isn't an asian guy doing karate.

kind of ironic

also the actor in the OP is pretty old. I'd assume they'd want someone younger

It's insane

Sephzilla

...not Shang-Chi. He might show up but he'll never headline his own show or movie.

Maybe Kamala in 10 years. What else are Asians supposed to hope for from Marvel? A Psylocke movie starring Olivia Munn? I'm actually extremely happy Chloe Benett and Ming-Na Wen are stars of AoS but even there, they share the stage with Coulson.

Take a look at this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Asian_superheroes

Are you expecting a Amadeus Cho show anytime soon?

How many of these characters are leads of their own series or have lead their own series?

The problem is that Marvel doesn't have many Asian heroes that are main characters (aka characters that would be leads in a movie). If they introduce a new good Asian hero people could totally get behind it and want a movie for that character. Hell there are already people who want Kamala Khan and Miles Morales movies.

dorikyasu

Definitely not for Iron Fist, but I can see him playing one of villains. He's one of those guys you want to hate for no reason.

Slayven

How many of these characters are leads of their own series or have lead their own series?

The problem is that Marvel doesn't have many Asian heroes that are main characters (aka characters that would be leads in a movie). If they introduce a new good Asian hero people could totally get behind it and want a movie for that character. Hell there are already people who want Kamala Khan and Miles Morales movies.

Jimmy Woo

guek

Banned
How many of these are leads of their own series or have lead their own series?

Yeah, that's why I said a Kamala solo movie maybe in 10 years. It's great and all to say Marvel should create more Asian heroes. They definitely should. But even if they do, they're not going to start a new character franchise on-screen and they're not going to spend millions making a show about an Asian character that isn't already well established with fans. It's the sad state of things and there are no immediate fixes. Marvel does not have strong lead Asian characters outside of Kamala, and most of their best Asian characters are tied up with X-men.

Ultima_5

Asian guys can be outsiders too. Asian guys can be outsiders among other Asian guys.

Source: my life

I want to be clear here though that I'm not saying Danny has to be Asian or even should. I'm saying he could without losing much of anything.

yeah i editted my post to add the asian american bit. they could make it work. but white american guy being thrown into martial arts asian stuff is a bigger jump than asian american being thrown into martial arts asian stuff

kirblar

Asian guys can be outsiders too. Asian guys can be outsiders among other Asian guys.

Source: my life

I want to be clear here though that I'm not saying Danny has to be Asian or even should. I'm saying he could without losing much of anything.
I get the impression that a lot of people never interacted with any 3rd generation+ Asian kids growing up.

CryptiK

I'm just so tired of the Mighty Whitey trope that I really hope the Marvel-Netflix version of Iron Fist change the ethnicity.
Wut. Marvel TV shows have various ethnicities for Heroes. What the hell you on about. Daniel Rand/Iron Fist has was always white. Its like the people who are complaining have no idea who he is.

Ultima_5

Wut. Marvel TV shows have various ethnicities for Heroes. What the hell you on about. Daniel Rand/Iron Fist has was always white.

no dont you understand. only an asian guy can do karate.

when they actually announce the actor theres going to be so much internet backlash. it'll be awful

He is a blond white guy though.

promise___danny_rand_x_reader_by_stealthfox48-d8i21co.jpg

I dunno...

Oh my god.

Clint Barton and Danny Rand are the same person.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
There's like zero representation right now. So if I had to choose from a sub-optimal representation or having someone stand-in for it, then yeah, I'd choose it.

Would love to see the other Immortal Weapons, but I doubt they're going to dive into them in the first season.

...isn't Skye Asian? Or do you mean in movies...or..what the two main people on AoS are Skye and Agent May. I'm all for more Asian characters because they already exist in the marvel U, hopefully they will also end up in the MCU. Comicbook fans want them all I guess. But swapping everyone around all the time ...ugh why when people can be added. Why jump the gun before Cho, Shang Chi, Mandarin(real one), Lady Bullseye, I wonder the status of Madripoor..hmmm, Radioactive Man, Hazmat, Jolt, Mantis, Daken(maybe???), Ancient One (probably coming with Strange), Jimmy Woo (come on Agents of Atlas!). A whole bunch are left out because they are probably tied up with fox and the xmen license.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
...isn't Skye Asian? Or do you mean in movies...or..what the two main people on AoS are Skye and Agent May. I'm all for more Asian characters because they already exist in the marvel U, hopefully they will also end up in the MCU. Comicbook fans want them all I guess. But swapping everyone around all the time ...ugh why when people can be added. Why jump the gun before Cho, Shang Chi, Mandarin(real one), Lady Bullseye, I wonder the status of Madripoor..hmmm, Radioactive Man, Hazmat, Jolt, Mantis, Daken(maybe???), Ancient One (probably coming with Strange), Jimmy Woo (come on Agents of Atlas!). A whole bunch are left out because they are probably tied up with fox and the xmen license.
I'm just coming from an asian male persepective. I do appreciate AoS casting, but like I pointed out a few posts up... the last time an asian male was on the show was in one episode Season 1.

And like said in another post, I'd love it if other asian characters show up. I'm pretty ambivalent about swapping for representation's sake. The bigger issue with Mighty Whitey is having a white man come and being a better representation of the culture than the natives. Brubaker/Fraction did wonders in changing how the character fits in the universe, but like I said, I don't think they're going to touch on any of that in the first season. I hope they do though.

Who knows, maybe they go a different direction and the writers can work it out on their own.

Dalek

Ryan looks the part-but as it's been said, I think sadly he's too old for the role. Danny should be like Matt in Daredevil-this is him new to the hero world, so he would need to be younger.

Ezalc

Don't know much about Iron Fist, aside from the fact that it sounds like he's a fun hero and I'd love to have a tv series with great hand to hand fights. So yeah, regardless of his race I just want the series to have kickass fights.

though I'm not an asian male, I highly doubt having yet another white dude protagonist while all the asian actors are nothing but wise elders and jokey sidekicks is preferable to having an asian lead in a Kung fu show.

This is basically the worst of both worlds from how I see it. It reinforces the martial arts stereotype without the benefits of having a minority driven show.

yeah i editted my post to add the asian american bit. they could make it work. but white american guy being thrown into martial arts asian stuff is a bigger jump than asian american being thrown into martial arts asian stuff

My experience is that (and you can see this on this thread), most people can't see past the "Asian" part and just lump Asians and Asian Americans together. Many of these people are probably the same as those who call all black people "African Americans". It's unfortunate but that's probably why having an Asian American play Danny Rand would be less effective to this type of audience.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
As much as I'm enjoying him on Secrets and Lies, I kinda wonder why he isnt in bigger things anymore, it seems so beneath him almost.

Yeah, but considering the critical praise Daredevil has gotten, perhaps it's not beneath him.
It would be something I would want to attach my name too.

Ridley327

As much as I'm enjoying him on Secrets and Lies, I kinda wonder why he isnt in bigger things anymore, it seems so beneath him almost.

He just never had a really big breakout part. Most of the films he did wouldn't really lose anything if he wasn't in them. Cruel Intentions was the closest he ever got, but most people would think of any of the actresses in that film before they would think about him.

SoilBreak

Banned
There has also been a rumor floating around about The Punisher joining the Netflix family of originals… he would make an interesting Frank Castle.

Hope the rumor of a punisher netflix show is true but definitely don't want Philippe playing him.

PreFire

This is the bigger news, do it Marvel.

Lol idk

I want a punisher series.. But with a gritty, jacked up, good actor who looks like Frank Castle.

Philippe is a great actor IMO, just shitty choice of movies (besides cruel intentions which is a classic) but as Frank Castle, would suck.

I'm one of those people who prefer live-action main comic characters to look like their main comic book counterparts. As long as they look like the character, I'm good. Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) may be Australian but he looks like the Canadian comic book character James Logan Howlett, although he's about 9 inches taller than he's supposed to be. Probably wouldn't look right in a movie lol

Fantastic 4 reboot Michael B Jordan Johnny Storm looks nothing like his comic counterpart. Same as Lois Lane in MOS (she's a red head? Lol), and Bruce/Batman by Christian Bale brown hair (I know, so petty).
Then there are times it's done right, for side characters. For example Iris West in the flash series CW. Nick Fury in avengers (Ultimate Nick Fury modeled after Sam L. Jackson, I know)

This is also why I'm excited about BvS. Ben Affleck looks like the comic Bruce Wayne to me, sans blue eyes which is just a bonus if you get an actor with that (all superman actors I know of have/had blue eyes).

I think Phillipe would be good for Ironfist. Looks like the comic version of Danny Rand.

All Chinese dudes are Kung Fu master is much better eh?

It honestly is. And even if thingy is white the rest of the martial artists I saw in the comic are chinese anyways, so it's more of having both tropes and removing one rather than trading one trope for another.

But if you want to avoid both, just make him a rich indian kid, problem solved :).

I don't really hate the guy being white, but whoever plays him has to have an amazing body, well amazing torso at least, I will accept nothing else.

Seriously though the first time I read iron fist when I opened it I was like wtf who is this white guy and why is he an obviously asian sounding super hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom