• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Sony to unveil Playstation HOME at GDC (oh snapplecakes it might be true?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante

Link648099 said:
If this is the big GDC announcement I will laugh.

How did Sony go from understanding this industry extremely well to losing all their knowledge in such a short time?

Wouldn't the popularity of Acheivements and Mii's say otherwise?

Big-E

Teh Pedobear said:
You kill 1000 enemies in Heavenly Sword, you get an awesome poster for your house showing the main character's perfect ass.

There was some screens posted earlier where they had a screen and it showed a kill count of 300+ till the mission ended so 1000 kills should be easily doable.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This is pretty much exactly what I'd have hoped for when you hear them go on about avatars and secondlife/myspace stuff etc. etc. Sounds nice..a bit too nice. If you meshed that with user-content-creation tools it would be really really really nice.

..But I kind of doubt it will happen.

It does neatly fit the whole "related to the HOME button" thing though. Ahem.

antiloop

methane47 said:
There is WAYyyy too much hype around GDC.... i can't possibly see Sony doing Soo many good things for Gamers in just a couple days...

As much as i want all of this... As much as I want a throne room with title specific furniture and items Or Maybe mini games that you win as achievements and could be played on the TV in your HOME... -sigh-... I can't possibly imagine a company doing all of this...

Sorry But i'm going to have to restrain my Hype alittle so i dont slit my wrists on GDC day..

Yes, the hype is crazy. Like they will give us about everything we would ever want at "Game Developer Conference".

I just hope it doesn't come down to "Sony lied again!!1111!!"

JB1981

gofreak said:
This is pretty much exactly what I'd have hoped for when you hear them go on about avatars and secondlife/myspace stuff etc. etc. Sounds nice..a bit too nice. If you meshed that with user-content-creation tools it would be really really really nice.

..But I kind of doubt it will happen.

It does neatly fit the whole "related to the HOME button" thing though. Ahem.

that's true. what interview is that quote from again?

reminder

Well, i loved it when i completed a mission in Bully and after it there was a "trophy" in my room. :) An similar thing for all PS3 games would be just awesome. :D

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
antiloop said:
Yes, I the hype is crazy. Like they will give us about everything we would ever want at "Game Developer Conference".

I just hope it doesn't come down to "Sony lied again!!1111!!"

rather, hopefully it will be "thread starters lied to us again!

Funny how people are assuming Sony is the only one with megatons to drop. I fully expect both Nintendo and Microsoft to out-do Sony on megatons 2 to 1.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
One other thing that I probably shouldn't connect to this, but I will anyway, is that Sony recently trademarked the term "advertar" - i.e. an avatar that's designed to advertise on behalf of somebody. One of the things Harrison is going to talk about is connected communities of gamers AND developers. Advertars in spaces like this could represent the latter side of the equation. In fact they could be used more generally to monetise this kind of service (e.g. you could have a nike advertar wandering these spaces, a coca-cola one, whatever, all as part of paid promotions).

/will stop now

JB1981 said:
that's true. what interview is that quote from again?

This one.

It has something to do with the Home Button on the SIXAXIS controller, and with the community.

JB1981

CountZeroInt said:
Funny how people are assuming Sony is the only one with megatons to drop. I fully expect both Nintendo and Microsoft to out-do Sony on megatons 2 to 1.

someone's feeling left out.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I guess I don't really understand this. You get to see other people's "homes/rooms" or something with trophies or objects that represent achievements in games you played, and theirs an avatar/person of yourself that uses the eyetoy to map your face onto it?

I feel out of the loop on this one. :lol

JB1981

gofreak said:
One other thing that I probably shouldn't connect to this, but I will anyway, is that Sony recently trademarked the term "advertar" - i.e. an avatar that's designed to advertise on behalf of somebody. One of the things Harrison is going to talk about is connected communities of gamers AND developers. Advertars in spaces like this could represent the latter side of the equation..

/will stop now

i said wow

FrankT

CountZeroInt said:

If there are any price cuts for any of the consoles, or a new 360 SKU, those will be megatons. The other rumors out there now probably not so much. New and Exclusive IPs can always produce a good megaton as well. Demos may produce a semi megaton depending on title.

theBishop

Banned
CountZeroInt said:

Miyamoto is going to announce a 5-year exclusivity agreement for Madden Football.

Kittonwy

Banned
I'm trying not to get excited because these rumors don't necessarily come true and I can't take the disappointment.
Indifferent2.gif

Forsete

Ugh.. If they show as much cool stuff as I think they will, I might just explode in anticipation of the EU launch.

Explode, in my pants.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
gofreak said:
One other thing that I probably shouldn't connect to this, but I will anyway, is that Sony recently trademarked the term "advertar" - i.e. an avatar that's designed to advertise on behalf of somebody. One of the things Harrison is going to talk about is connected communities of gamers AND developers. Advertars in spaces like this could represent the latter side of the equation..

/will stop now
That has so much potential for unintended hilarity. It's the evolution of AIM bots.

J-Rzez

Teh Pedobear said:
You kill 1000 enemies in Heavenly Sword, you get an awesome poster for your house showing the main character's perfect ass.

Lot's of potential there... for example, like you said, posters of achievements... mix them up... some posters for some, trophies for others... how about "pictures" in your room of your Sony Mii standing with the lead character in the game you just finished? There's a lot of neat posibilities there, if true...

But, one thing is fact... Sony does this, doesn't work/look as good as planned, "hahaha, Sony tries to one up MS and Ninty and fails!!!", or, if it's something really 1 ahead, "hahaha, Sony has to Copy MS and Ninty cause they're the unoriginal"... Either way, trolls will have their day in the shade...

tanod

when is my burrito
Link648099 said:
If this is the big GDC announcement I will laugh.

How did Sony go from understanding this industry extremely well to losing all their knowledge in such a short time?

Sony has always had a strategy of putting as much technology into their console as they can afford to, making it a one-stop shop of sorts tech-wise. If this is true, I would see this as them extending this strategy into the OS of their system now that they have the capability to do updates.

It's a lot like Microsoft's strategy in what upgrades they do on the Windows OS and their web browser and other applications, borrowing from the competition to create a unified whole.

Arguably, though not related to Sony's or Microsoft's strategy, Nintendo's life-long strategy has been to have the ultimate family-friendly platforms. Just in case you might be wondering
since you have "Link" in your name
how I think Nintendo's compares.

Game Developers Conference, people...

anything announced is a treat. I highly doubt anything to the magnitude people here are expecting will get dropped.

That said, this trophy things seems in line with GDC.

Z_Y

Geek said:
Who says they couldn't add content or support for this in games already released? Say, for example, with an update to Resistance in the spring or summer.

I'm all for that. I just read that part about being a "requirement for all NEW PS3" games as meaning the "old" games won't support it. They could be added if the dev wanted to...but then again..they won't be required to do so. It would be great if they did though. Then I wouldn't have to buy VF5 for 360 just to show the world how sub-par I am at the game. :p

IF this is the news that was hinted that "would make us happy" then it sure would. I'm dying for my PS3 to display a little bit of life and character and this would be one way of doing just that.

The next step would be let me add a little color to my XMB dashboard. I hear that it displays color backgrounds during the day but I only play at night...therefore all I get is drabby, dreary black.

ant1532

Banned
LukeSmith said:
I can wholly confirm that it WILL NOT BE 3 HOURS LONG EVER AGAIN
probably
Eh, I'll actually stop listening then if they do really become 3 hours long each. I just don't have the time. I think the longest you should have em is 90 minutes. But 180 minutes!!??? Come on, not trying to sound like Reilly or anything but there is a limit.

And you should making them short if anything since you want you audience wanting more.

theBishop said:
Miyamoto is going to announce a 5-year exclusivity agreement for Madden Football.
Heh, that's an interesting scenario. If Nintendo ponies up something crazy like a billion dollars for this A) would EA accept and B) would it be worth the money for Nintendo in those 5 years?

theBishop

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
I guess I don't really understand this. You get to see other people's "homes/rooms" or something with trophies or objects that represent achievements in games you played, and theirs an avatar/person of yourself that uses the eyetoy to map your face onto it?

I feel out of the loop on this one. :lol

Maybe there's few buildings to choose from (Frathouse, Asylum, Dormatory, Hotel, etc) and everyone on the Playstation Network is living with other users in these buildings.

obviously not.

Tieno

painey said:
all these suggestions sound so awesome.. even if this isnt coming, it should!
I agree. I can totally see MS doing this too. They already have the achievements standard in every game.

Couple of years ago I remember reading about this 'garden' that grows when you play more games...think it was for xbox but it never came into fruition.

They (Sony or whoever else who might do this) could make this into its own social sub/meta-game.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
To bumpedy-bump, Sony trademarked this just in the last couple of days:

homefc1.jpg

Computer game software; electronic devices for the wireless receipt, storage and/or transmission of data and messages; computer software for conducting and coordinating real-time and asynchronous communications among computer users sharing information and audio/video data via electronic communications networks; downloadable electronic publications; sound and/or video recordings featuring music and entertainment, television programs, motion pictures, news, sports, games, cultural events, and entertainment-related programs of all kinds; downloadable digital sound and/or video recordings featuring music and entertainment, television programs, motion pictures, news, sports, games, cultural events, and entertainment-related programs of all kinds; computer software to allow users to perform electronic business transactions via the Internet

IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Electronic games services provided by means of the Internet; Internet games (non-downloadable); organizing of games; entertainment services provided online and/or via a computer database for matching users for the transfer or sharing of music, video and audio recordings via communications networks; providing on-line chat rooms and electronic bulletin boards for transmission of messages among users in the field of general interest; providing of an on-line service enabling physically remote players of an electronic game to search on-line for other players and to communicate with selected players during the game; organizing, staging and the provision of on-line tournaments; entertainment by means of wireless television broadcasts

IC 042. US 100 101. G & S: Hosting on-line web facilities for others for organizing and conducting meetings, gatherings, interactive discussions and interactive game play; computer services in the nature of customised web pages for featuring game player information, including information regarding a player's identity and the player's preferences; hosting the computer sites of others on a computer service for a global network; creating and maintaining computer sites for others; website design services; creation and development of virtual and interactive images and environments; providing on-line access to computer networks, computer databases, the Internet, on-line bulletin boards, virtual worlds and libraries of text, graphics and audio-visual and multimedia information and entertainment

i dont see how this helps at all if the online gaming experience itself isnt up to par with live. and as much as i love my wii60 wiis online system if you can even call it that sucks. miis or not.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
chriskzoo said:
One way to make Achievements cooler is to reward them with actual (virtual) trophies. Imagine if, rather than just getting a little notification and being rewarded 20 points for defeating a boss, you were instead given a bad-ass looking virtual trophy that you could display?

Another cool thing would be to reward people with things they can use on their avatar - so you unlock an achievement and get rewarded with a special shirt, piece of bling, or whatever. People would be like "Oh, snap! How did you get that!"

STop stealing avatars bitchezs!11

theBishop

Banned
WasteLand Soldier said:
i dont see how this helps at all if the online gaming experience itself isnt up to par with live. and as much as i love my wii60 wiis online system if you can even call it that sucks. miis or not.

don't compare Wii's "online system" with the playstation3's online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom