• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Sony to unveil Playstation HOME at GDC (oh snapplecakes it might be true?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

I remain slightly skeptical, if only because I rather be proved wrong than be disappointed.

JB1981

VJTonyavy.jpg

"This news makes PS3 owners happy!"

Doel

If you have IGN Insider, check out this thread supporting this theory. It was posted in early February, and no one believed the poor guy (when if you read his posts, he seems to be working for Sony), where he discusses that Animal Crossing type of thing where each person has their own room and can share their music and media with other visitors. He posted that long before it came up anywhere else.

theBishop said:
don't compare Wii's "online system" with the playstation3's online.
why the F not? if sony is combining aspects of LIVE and nintendos component then why not? :lol and sonys "online system" is just as bad as nintendos if you're comparing it to live. If all this does is sugar coat the outside of the system and leave the core element that matters the most, PLAYING DAMN GAMES ONLINE the same crap as it is now then who cares?

my favorite thing about this thread (other than the cool ideas being tossed around) is MarkGonzales pretending to be an 'insider'.

:lol just stop, man. Please.

Dr-L337

Banned
This sounds like a really cool idea. I'm not so hot on the achievements cluttering up this supposed room, however. It would be neat if instead it just showed posters on your wall of the games you played most.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Just don't take the trademark text TOO literally. It has to be very broad to cover everything they might ever want to associate with it. But it is totally pointing at the type of thing ****** is rumouring about e.g. some sort of collaborative/community service. Although no explicit reference to animal crossing-style 3D rooms and avatars..which would be cool! But the trademark coverage suggests it could just be webpage-based stuff.

theBishop

Banned
WasteLand Soldier said:
why the F not? if sony is combining aspects of LIVE and nintendos component then why not? :lol and sonys "online system" is just as bad as nintendos if you're comparing it to live. If all this does is sugar coat the outside of the system and leave the core element that matters the most, PLAYING DAMN GAMES ONLINE the same crap as it is now then who cares?

Exactly.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
why is the floor of the house falling out? Shoddy workmanship, par for course with Sony, amirite?

Flo_Evans

WasteLand Soldier said:

um yeah how are all those online games on the wii?

Big-E

WasteLand Soldier said:

LOL. Your funny.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Doel said:
If you have IGN Insider, check out this thread supporting this theory. It was posted in early February, and no one believed the poor guy (when if you read his posts, he seems to be working for Sony), where he discusses that Animal Crossing type of thing where each person has their own room and can share their music and media with other visitors. He posted that long before it came up anywhere else.

WOW!

freakyguy666: Has anyone else heard the rumors of a major Sony Online upgrade? Apparently the update will make the Xbox LIVE interface look antiquated in comparison. Apparently the interface is set up like a Virtual Town where each user has their own virtual apartment. Within your apartment you store your collection of acheivements and virtual trophies to show off to any "visitors" (i.e. people on your Friends list). Your friends could visit you if you are "home" (i.e. online)and once inside they could "walk around" your apartment and view how you've decorated your place. But more importantly, they could listen to any music or watch videos that you've got in your place (i.e. content you've stored on your PS3). Furthermore, your friends could join you for a game of cards or other simple games while listening to your music or even running a movie on your virtual TV (again using data on your PS3 HD). Once outside of your apartment you could visit the virtual Movie Theater to download--what else?--video content, visit the virtual Arcade, and other more exciting areas that I'm not at liberty to discuss yet...

The bottomline is that the interface is going to get a major overhaul and it's supposed to be very slick and user friendly. It will make apparent the advantages of the PS3 hardware and--dare I say--the new Sony Online Network.

If this has already been posted I apologise in advance! Otherwise, you heard it here....FIRST!

Poor guy, I really do feel bad now. :(

Tieno

WasteLand Soldier said:
What's nintendo's online system?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Doel said:
Can you quote some of the stuff he said, I don't quite have an insider account. :x

chubigans said:
WOW!

freakyguy666: Has anyone else heard the rumors of a major Sony Online upgrade? Apparently the update will make the Xbox LIVE interface look antiquated in comparison. Apparently the interface is set up like a Virtual Town where each user has their own virtual apartment. Within your apartment you store your collection of acheivements and virtual trophies to show off to any "visitors" (i.e. people on your Friends list). Your friends could visit you if you are "home" (i.e. online)and once inside they could "walk around" your apartment and view how you've decorated your place. But more importantly, they could listen to any music or watch videos that you've got in your place (i.e. content you've stored on your PS3). Furthermore, your friends could join you for a game of cards or other simple games while listening to your music or even running a movie on your virtual TV (again using data on your PS3 HD). Once outside of your apartment you could visit the virtual Movie Theater to download--what else?--video content, visit the virtual Arcade, and other more exciting areas that I'm not at liberty to discuss yet...

The bottomline is that the interface is going to get a major overhaul and it's supposed to be very slick and user friendly. It will make apparent the advantages of the PS3 hardware and--dare I say--the new Sony Online Network.

If this has already been posted I apologise in advance! Otherwise, you heard it here....FIRST!

wow, now that was a much better explanation. if this is true then that sounds pretty awesome. I was thinking of something almost completely different (which sounded pretty stupid in my mind).

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
WasteLand Soldier said:
If all this does is sugar coat the outside of the system and leave the core element that matters the most, PLAYING DAMN GAMES ONLINE the same crap as it is now then who cares?

People who aren't particularly interested in playing games online. Top tip: they outnumber us.

Ranger X

New level of lame in the research of E-penis enlargement?
I definetely hope Sony is busy doing pretty much anything else and actually HELP the online experience instead of focusing on the shallow shit that is ala mode.

JB1981

chubigans said:
WOW!

holy shit.

teiresias

Assuming this is true, and old games can have functionality with this patched into them I demand the following of Insomniac:

I want a trophy in my HOME that is a chimera head on my wall mounted like a deer head. Thanks.

Flo_Evans

chubigans said:
WOW!

that sounds pretty awsome. Now imagine the new eyetoy! HD webcam sex party tonight at my place !

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Bad_Boy said:
Can you quote some of the stuff he said, I don't quite have an insider account. :x

Look a few posts up. Chubigans posted it.

Big-E

teiresias said:
Assuming this is true, and old games can have functionality with this patched into them I demand the following of Insomniac:

I want a trophy in my HOME that is a chimera head on my wall mounted like a deer head. Thanks.

Yes, this needs to be done. You know what would also be great is if Insomniac can calculate the person you have killed the most in ranked games and have a certificate on the wall saying Me>whoever you own.

If true, that's AWESOME... huge announcement. The whole community aspect of PSN is really lacking and this would fix that major hole.

theBishop

Banned
teiresias said:

Motorstorm-themed welcome mat.

Caked in mud, of course.

Doel

Bad_Boy said:
In addition to what chubs posted:

Update: There's good news and some bad news.

Good news: Beta is up and running...looking fantastic!
Bad news: Release has been pushed back to the Fall.

Feel free to chalk this up as another unsubstantiated rumour...

"Rumour has it" that part of the delay has to do with the extent of the overhaul required to support such a vibrant online experience.

There is one additional benefit to the delay; Sony is aware of this space and you should feel free to post creative ideas in this space with the knowledge that there is still time to implement them into the final version.

One last thing. If you doubt that the industry is watching this space, I offer the following private message I received....

Date Sent: 2:14pm
Date Read: 6:40pm
Subject: Hi
Body: Who are you?

Yes, this could all be unsubstatiated fantasy, but it may help to know who bencousins is...

Boards Name: bencousins (VIP)
Title: VIP - SCEE
UID: 25544
Profile Added: 08/20/2000 6:44:33 AM
Profile Last Updated: 02/05/2007 6:13:39 AM
Total Number of Posts: 2,514 View Latest Posts
Last Board Login Date: 02/05/2007 6:13:39 AM
Last Board Post Date: 09/04/2005 6:21:00 PM
Watched by Count: 118

It should be noted that Ben is no longer with SCEE after realizing the that the profits from Sony and Lionhead were insufficient. http://www.bencousins.com

Here's to reading some creative ideas of how YOU think these virtual towns and apartments could be improved!

Cheers!

I don't intend to get too technical but here's a hint...the PS3 reserves 96MB for its OS (operating system). The XB360? A mere 32MB. Why does Sony need THREE TIMES the resources?!? Most programmers were perplexed at this decision, but it will all become clear this Fall. One look at the Virtual Town, complete with your Virtual Apartments, with streaming video and music in your apartment for all friends to share and you too will be a believer.

All in the fullness of time!

Cheers!
The Beta version of the new online interface will be shown behind closed doors at GDC. Sony is very interested in getting 3rd parties on board to one-up the acheivement system of LIVE.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
You know, if all of this is true what gofreak and the guy at the IGN has posted, you know what the best aspect of this would be?

SONY NOT CHARGING A DAMN DIME TO HAVE ALL OF THIS.

Flo_Evans

you know what I would realy like is to have whatever your car is in GT be in you garage! Or maybe you can just put photomode pics of it all over your walls.

edit: oh shit if that IGN dude is right people can come over and listen to your MP3s!! that is shit hot.

chubigans said:
WOW!

Wow that is a leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom