• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Super Street Fighter V is happening; free update for existing owners

I'm down. But if Sakura's default outfit better not be a schoolgirl outfit. We've moved on from the 90s.Totally fine as an alt, however.
https://twitter.com/yoshi_onochin/status/698717306143248384
Coming from a FANG main?

be0a51_b388a4236985421b8b130a775f210919~mv2.gif_256
FANG mains don't need validation, they
(we)
already live like trolls.

kirblar

The rumour doesn't mention anything about retail presence for Super. Even if some may assume that. That may be true, but it would also create its own set of problems with the business model Capcom have opted for.

Would they really go to retail with a Super edition and still only offer that consumer the original base roster?
Retailers have been trying to clear out SFV base editions all year long. It's been clear they've been doing it in preparation for something down the line- what that something was? We didn't know.

I'm going to invite all the FANG mains and Alex mains to a pool party and then remove the ladder to get out

Retailers have been trying to clear out SFV base editions all year long. It's been clear they've been doing it in preparation for something down the line- what that something was? We didn't know.

They're doing it cause they aren't selling

Pompadour

The weirdest thing about imagining Q in SFV is what would his alt costumes be? My fear is they'll reveal too much about him to justify giving a Story and Battle outfit.

Of course, after that he'll never get another costume because he has no fireballs or tits.

The weirdest thing about imagining Q in SFV is what would his alt costumes be? My fear is they'll reveal too much about him to justify giving a Story and Battle outfit.

Of course, after that he'll never get another costume because he has no fireballs or tits.

A different jacket, hat or mask. It's cool!

fernoca

Didn't they scream this would never happen? :p
The thing is that what they always implied was that they would never do something like with SF4, were people had to buy SuperSF4 to get the upgrades as there was no way to update it; therefore the userbase was fragmented .

But over the years some took that as "no Super SF5 ever, because Capcom said it would fragment the userbase".

That said, this screams fake. Modes people has been asking, coupled with characters people has been asking. But who knows. Sounds cool at least.

No, it's more than that - they're actively been trying to clear the sku out. You do that w/ a game like this when a new disc edition.will obsolete it and render that stock worthless.
Though the sales has been going on for quite some time, so is doubtful they knew this if true. Usually retailers are informed a few weeks/months ahead of release, not a year before the planned release.

Steiner

Banned
Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but to everyone saying that Capcom confirmed a Super Street Fighter V wouldn't happen, this is the actual quote from Capcom's Matt Dahlgren:

Street Fighter 5 innovated on the series model by being a service-based platform, with earnable post launch content. Even now, the price point of the main retail offering has dropped, which is essentially the starter version of the game. However, even if we come up with new models, we are still committed to our promise that the initial release is still the only version you’ll ever need to own with all game updates and balance adjustments available for free.

The fuck is wrong with you.

They aren't sandwiches
They're made with by-products
I can make pulled pork instead

No, it's more than that - they're actively been trying to clear the sku out. You do that w/ a game like this when a new disc edition.will obsolete it and render that stock worthless.

You don't do it 6+ months before the edition will come out, this is gonna take a while to pop in

Duxxy3

Seeing as it's supposedly a software update, the game would still be locked to PS4 console exclusivity.

If it's called super street fighter V, I don't see why it would be locked to anything any longer.

edit: I'm guessing it will be like SF4: AE. An update for current owners. A new package for new owners.

Neoxon

If it's called super street fighter V, I don't see why it would be locked to anything any longer.
Because it's still SFV, just with a (rumored) shiny new software update. Sony paid to help create SFV, so they have a say in a good chunk of its assets.

joe2187

Banned

- It's a rumor
- The original pitch of that was that you never needed to buy a new version for the updates, since it would all be supported by the original base game.
- It's a locked Sony deal, any SF game with V in the name is going to be PS/PC only.

Neoxon

You cant polish a turd.

Game needs a complete relaunch/ repackaging. CFN free.
This is what it basically is, an update that serves as a relaunch without splitting the player base, & I'd imagine that a new physical release could also happen if this is true. And they aren't gonna do away with CFN in SFV after doing a massive update for it, especially since SFV has cross-play.

Taking it with a grain of salt, of course, but personally for me, motherfuckin' ABIGAIL and Q are straight up megatons. I haven't been interested in SFV this whole time, but if those two show up, I'll be there.

Shin

Banned
This seems WAY too good to be true.

Not really, it's a step in the right direction but far from complete, less characters than USF4, characters, outfits and season passes still costs too much.
They are a bit too slow with catching up (if that's what you want to call it), but they are definitely getting there.

Rncewind

You are purchasing a "service" that adds stuff over time. If they should release a SSF5 disc version it will be the regular SF5 disc. They will charge you extra for Season Pass characters. Modes etc have always been free,

This. Nothing to see here but a fancy named 2018 Season Pass.

Ah i see, thx

Pompadour

Didn't they scream this would never happen? :p

Matt Dahlgren said:
So, there's a ton of possibilities of what could happen. What's important is that we retain the promise that we made up front; that this is the only disc that you need to own. We're not necessarily against doing compilation packages or something else in the future, but if you are an early adopter of that first version of Street Fighter V, you can still get all of the content throughout its lifespan without ever having to purchase another disc. That, unequivocally, will remain true throughout the lifecycle of the product.

So what people should take from this is:

1. You can always play with other SFV owners regardless of what DLC they have unlike: SF4, Guilty Gear Xrd, BlazBlue, etc. No upgrades or new discs required.

2. That doesn't discount DLC bundles or SFV getting a new name to go along with a big update.

I'm totally in for this. Waited on buying SFV but this would be what gets me to Jump in. Just gotta figure out what I gotta do to get T. Hawk in this game

PSqueak

Banned
She's Rose's student. So I imagine she might have similar powers.

But her playstyle will most likely be unique.

But i mean:

Rose is Bison's soul's "good side" made flesh.
Ed is a Bison Clone spare body.
Thus, can we expect Menat to be a part of Ed's Soul?

As for SSFV not happening, I don't trust promises from Capcom.

Wasn't it Mikami or someone like that who said he'd "cut off his own head" if RE4 showed up on the PS2? And not only did it show up on the PS2, at this point I'm sure there's an actual toaster out there with RE4 on it :p

Top Bottom