• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Syphon Filter 4 & God Of War 4 Set To Be Announced In Febuary

Radec

Hyped!

But man, PS4 launch would have been epic if they do this:

God of War 4
Uncharted 4
Killzone 4
Syphon Filter 4

:D

So will they keep good on their word that Kratos is done?

I doubt it.

I'm still bummed they never released the GOW3 epilogue.

demolitio

Hyped!

But man, PS4 launch would have been epic if they do this:

God of War 4
Uncharted 4
Killzone 4
Syphon Filter 4

:D

I can't even imagine what KZ4 or GOW 4 would look like if it was on PS4. Their PS3 games still blow me away at times and makes me wonder what they'd look like in 1080p on PC. Maybe we'll have a PS3 emulator on PC about 20 years from now...lol

def sim

It felt to me like the series saw a sharp decline in popularity with SF3. And the one PS2 SF they did make seemingly barely made an impact at all. To be fair it was the one SF that wasn't a first-rate game, but it wasn't bad either. I think if they felt there was a market for this series on console (and I'm sure they researched this to some extent) they would have tried to do something with it. Even Sony tries to make money sometimes. But nobody knows this series anymore, it's only remembered by diehards.

Even back when it was popular, it was underappreciated and unfairly maligned as a "Metal Gear clone". The brand just has a sort of stigma about it, always did.

A lot of it sounds like Sony's fault. A mediocre game with very little marketing on their, at the time, flagship console was a big mistake, especially after the popularity decline it had already suffered. They relegated it to their gaming ghetto handheld, which pretty much ensured the franchise's popularity would stagnate.

It's a shooter; one that has enough history that people still know of it. Sony needs to market it as a big deal if they want sales, it's not fair to say gamers have bad taste hence it does not sell. At least not in this context.

Fuck don't do this to me again GAF....this is the billionth thread on a next gen SF. I wont get my hopes up.

Haha seriously.

But SCE London? :(

I'm looking at all of the games they've made and...I'm not too confident about them.

Sony Bend has been pretty much the only developer of the SF series and they do a great job with the series.

Danielsan

I'll take the new Syphon Filter, because I really have some huge fucking nostalgia for Syphon Filter 2 (and to a lesser extent, 3). But man, I really really hope they've completely changed God of War in nearly every possible way because that series has kind of lost its punch for me. Kratos is angry and he kills everything by pressing square, square, triangle. God of War 3 looked amazing, but somehow it just didn't feel as exciting to me.

Slime

Banned
I thought all the console Syphon Filter games were pretty forgettable, but Logan's Shadow and Dark Mirror were two of my favorite PSP games. I think the franchise deserves another shot in the mainstream, preferably on a platform someone actually cares about (i.e., not a handheld).

Suzzopher

London Studio getting to make a proper game must be great for them after having Eight Days and The Getaway 3 cancelled.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Ask Capcom the same question.

Funny you should mention that because in an interview, they revealed that they were strapped for resources and manpower having spread their internal devs to four in-house titles while also outsourcing for added support. So the Capcom comparison doesn't stand, though I understand where its coming from but also Sony likely saw the error of their ways too when they allowed S6 to work on Confrontation hence why the franchise likely landed back in Zipper's hands (whether that was for the better is debatable).

GopherD

I'll take the new Syphon Filter, because I really have some huge fucking nostalgia for Syphon Filter 2 (and to a lesser extent, 3). But man, I really really hope they've completely changed God of War in nearly every possible way because that series has kind of lost its punch for me. Kratos is angry and he kills everything by pressing square, square, triangle. God of War 3 looked amazing, but somehow it just didn't feel as exciting to me.
This.

Love me some SF, but for goodness sake, stick a fork in Kratos, the guy is done.

Massa

I believe GoW4 is in development, but I dont believe the SF4 rumour...at least from PLAY. Hopefully I am wrong though

Syphon Filter was in development a while ago, leaked by a mocap studio along with SOCOM 4. It was a long time ago so development probably halted (in favor of Uncharted Vita?).

It does seem weird to hand off an SCEA franchise to an SCEE studio. Has that ever happened before?

Raonak

Banned
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET IT BE TRUE!!!!

I want syphon filter SOOO badly.
would've liked bend to do it, but ill take what i can get.

Interested in GOW4. Assuming they put it in another mythology.
Imagine Kratos being reborn being norse mythology- or playing the norse god of war.

Hyuga

Banned
The day SCE announces a new Syphon Filter -> biggest party ever in my club!

So... Who will Kratos kill in GOW4?

everyone-the-professional.gif

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
As far as our spies tell us, Syphon Filter 4 will be announced and released during 2012 – they’re not often wrong either. Developed by SCE London Studio (once thought to be Sony Bend), it will see a return to the world of shooting, espionage and Gabe Logan’s superb name.”

Fuck this.

Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow are better than any SCEA and SCEE game this gen,So yeah sorry Sony but only Bend should make new Syphon Filter game and no one else, London Studio is garbage and should just make more crapware.

DiscoJer

That would depend on how the Vita and its software sales once its released in the West. The PS3 is still doing very well in both areas, so that would be the best choice for it.

But how is the Vita going to be popular if Sony puts all their best titles on the PS3?

It makes no sense to try to launch a new platform, then put all your high budget blockbuster games on your old platform

Hyuga

Banned
Too bad SF4 is on PSP.
No, it isn't!

So yeah sorry Sony but only Bend should make new Syphon Filter game and no one else, London Studio is garbage and should just make more crapware.
No they aren't!
SCE London has changed in the last few years.
More/different staff etc.
So let's wait and see what their first hardcore game (after YEARS) is.
It's a "new beginning" for SCE's London studio.

Globox_82

Banned
Yes it is. If there's a new Syphon Filter game there's no way they can ignore Dark Mirror, and Logan's Shadow. It'll either have to be a sequel to the latter, or a reboot.

Or maybe it has a new set of characters. Like Raiden and stuff....

Endo Punk

GOWIV. Not sure if want. On one hand the last one pretty much ends the series but on the other hand I feel PS3 needs to see one more GOW title since the PS2 saw 2. And I guess you really can't go wrong with more Kratos but I hope if they do make one they go really creative. It's about time for some innovation in the GOW IP.

Globox_82

Banned
In a way I am disappointed about GOW4. They should have saved it for PS4.We know SSM is working on new IP, now IF this is true, the question is if that new IP is for PS3 or PS4.

Globox_82

Banned
My only issue with this is, why not(if rumor is not false) save it for E3? Then they will have nothing to announce. Vita games but nothing for PS3. Or maybe they want to announce them earlier because PS4 will be announced so that these games don't get overshadowed ?

Endo Punk

In a way I am disappointed about GOW4. They should have saved it for PS4.We know SSM is working on new IP, now IF this is true, the question is if that new IP is for PS3 or PS4.

GOWIII was SSM first major PS3 release I believe and usually with first current gen games a lot of time is spent on understanding the tech and such. I think a GOW4 could really be a big step over GOW3 on the PS3. For me it really comes down to the story. If SSM feels they have an interesting one to tell then bring it on.

SSM is capable of working on two games at once due to different studios so maybe both are working on PS3 games? I really don't think PS4 is close to release tbh.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Or maybe it has a new set of characters. Like Raiden and stuff....

new cast and new devs? then why call it Syphon Filter? it's not like Syphon Filter IP hase huge fan base or anything behind it.

Anyway,I'd say they can still go around the ending of Logan's Shadow and still keep Gabe Logan, it's really easy.

Now Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow need HD ports on PS3 ( they are already on PS2 btw) and need Bend and only Bend for this sequel.

Hyuga

Banned
Yes it is. If there's a new Syphon Filter game there's no way they can ignore Dark Mirror, and Logan's Shadow. It'll either have to be a sequel to the latter, or a reboot.

Both PSP games aren't "Syphon Filter 4 and 5".
God of War: Ghost of Sparta isn't God of War 4.
Uncharted: Golden Abyss isn't Uncharted 4.

The new game (if it's real) will be Syphon Filter 4 or a complete reboot.

Takao

Banned
This would also be the first SF not written by Garvin.

I'm not sure how I feel about that, since I always felt SF was pretty decently written.

There's a huge difference between the SF games on PSP and the GoW games on PSP. For SF those PSP games were developed by the same studio and team who created the franchise. There wasn't an ongoing console SF series either. It was just what Bend was making on PSP. Those games continued the plot, therefore are proper sequels.

It would be a disservice to Bend (though like SCEA gives a shit, they dumped Uncharted onto them instead of making Naughty Dog handle their own junk) for a new SF to come out named "SF4" to wear that moniker and not even have Bend developing.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

God of War PSPs were by other devs than The original one and were not direct sequels, same with Uncharted Vita.

Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow were direct sequels and by the original developers of Syphon Filter, so they were "real" sequels.

Hyuga

Banned
My only issue with this is, why not(if rumor is not false) save it for E3? Then they will have nothing to announce.
Do you actually now how much First- and Second Party developers there are?
A lot! They have a lot to show, if they want.

But one thing is for sure:
Sony's E3 2012 conference will have one major topic: VITA
That's for sure!

There's a huge difference between the SF games on PSP and the GoW games on PSP. For SF those PSP games were developed by the same studio and team who created the franchise. There wasn't an ongoing console SF series either. It was just what Bend was making on PSP. Those games continued the plot, therefore are proper sequels.
+
God of War PSPs were by other devs than The original one and were not direct sequels, same with Uncharted Vita.
Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow were direct sequels and by the original developers of Syphon Filter, so they were "real" sequels.

They ARE sequels if you look at the story.
Doesn't change the fact that DM (or LS) isn't Syphon Filter 4.
Dark Mirror wasn't called "Syphon Filter 4: Dark Mirror", or "Syphon Filter 4".

There is no Syphon Filter 4 at the moment.

Globox_82

Banned
Do you actually now how much First- and Second Party developers there are?
A lot! They have a lot to show, if they want.

But one thing is for sure:
Sony's E3 2012 conference will have one major tppic: VITA
That's for sure!

Yeah topic I don't care about all that much

Top Bottom