• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Rumor* The Order: 1886 delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS3 had 7 years. 360 had 8 years. People are hungry for next gen and get crumbs and are told to wait an extra year for a sandwich. While the muti-plat games may be better experiences on the PS4 and Xbone......they aren't required to play most of these games since they will also be available on their predecessors. Rocksteady is pretty much the only ones to say "fuck last gen" with Arkham Knight.

Not to mention all that talk about how much easier and faster it is to get code up and running on the PS4 over the PS3, this barren wasteland from 1st party studios this year is more ridiculous. And this stuff like Last of Us Remastered is good and all but really screams they should have just made the fucking game for the PS4 in the first place.

So Sony refuses to money hat any exclusives, so when their first parties fall flat on their faces their platform is left with zero exclusives during the crucial holiday season.

Looks like XB1 is going to be closing the sales gap in NA this fall. They deserve it for thinking ahead.

Lol doubtful. CoD will sell more consoles for Sony than any exclusive would. 3rd parties will carry the system through holiday.

Withnail

Sony delays a Q4 game every damn year.

Anyway, stuff will be announced at E3 and Gamescom so I don't think the doom and gloom is really necessary, but Sony's first party scheduling always feels so...sub-optimal.

Salex_

Sony doesn't exactly have the kind of cash to throw around that they used to on first party games. It's very possible they are scaling back on first party output and focusing more on third party games (with co-marketing type deals) and indie/DD titles that might come cheaper than developing AAA games in house or paying for outright exclusivity like say Microsoft with Titanfall. I'm a fan of Sony's first party stuff and their output was legendary in the PS2 and PS3 days, but a lot of those bigger budget games did not perform well sales-wise so it's not surprising that, especially in Sony's current financial state, they might try a new strategy.

Hmm...that's not true.

A bunch of new trademarks, SCE London Studios, Sony Bend, Guerrilla Cambridge, [URL="http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/25/5445438/guerrilla-games-has-been-working-on-their-new-ip-for-over-two-years"]Guerrilla Games[/URL], Media Molecule, Japan Studios, Sumo Digital and Sony Santa Monica.

Only replying to this because I want to inform people. Yeah, they obviously have a ton of indie games on/coming to their console, but that doesn't erase what their 1st/2nd party studios are working on.

Talk about poor planning by Soony

Sony Santa Monica new ip = cancelled, this will leave a gap in the lineup

Driveclub = delayed by a year, this could have done well at launch

The order 1886 = delayed....

Uncharted = in limbo

Shouldnt have bought a ps4

bryehn

Thankfully for senisible people, we realize Sony has a fantastic track record in this area.

Sure, I'm not disregarding that at all, but if I only had a PS4 right now I'd be just a bit concerned.

In case it's not clear, I buy consoles primarily for exclusive content. Well, truth be told I bought a Wii U at launch simply because it was new and off-TV was appealing to me, but decided on Xbone last fall because of Dead Rising 3, Forza 5 and Sunset Overdrive.

I was planning to get a PS4 when inFamous came out, but getting shafted by the CDN $ put the kibosh on that with a $449 console and $69.99 digital version of the game I was buying the console for in the first place. Had Driveclub not been delayed and 1886 was set for a fall release I could pull the trigger, but as it stands I can't justify it.

Helps that I play on a 7 year old 720p TV, so I'm essentially unaffected by resolutiongate.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
That wasn't the discussion though. The original poster's assertion was that Sony's studios are struggling to produce content. That they have actually managed to do slightly more further highlights my point. Yeah, exclusives are important, but it's not as if these studios are suddenly incapable of making games. It's a new generation and the novelty of the hardware combined with developing original IP means that you have to wait a little while sometimes.

These studios have had plenty of time have they not? As a SW developer delays in the industry are normal (i.e., couple of months where l work) but a one year delay is not.

the_champ

Banned
Making a game isn't an exact science. It's a painstaking process with a lot that can go wrong.

That's why you have to be conservative on release dates (not talking about 1886, in particular). Also, there are software development methodologies that help to be more predictable (extreme programming, scrum, etc). If you miss dates regularly, there's something wrong, and no new features announcements justifies that.

thuway

Or like Respawn's new game being exclusive to Sony.
Or like Sony Santa Monica being in trouble.
Or like Far Cry 4 being set in the Himalayas.
Or like Project Beast's very existence.

You're highlighting the exception as the standard.

Let me get this straight. You are implicitly implying through a chain of posts that - Sony's 1st Party is in disarray and are on the verge of complete and total failure. Your source on this is the rumor mill?

Bonus question - how is this relevant in a thread about the Order 1886, a game by a studio not wholly owned by Sony Computer Entertainment.

imtehman

Banned
i personally think its a good thing, the order would disappear in the always heavy holiday lineup with call of duty and shit there.

jaypah

Why are people pulling out the "concern troll" card? A large portion of GAF has always valued exclusive lineups. It's the whole reason that list-wars come up. Xbox 360 rightfully got a ton of shit for relying on third-party games too much. Or was that concern trolling too? I understand that good games are good games, third-party included, but some people maybe expected more on the first-party front. I don't see the problem with that.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Why delay this game in the year of Metal gear solid 5, now metal gear solid phantom pain isnt going to win GAF GOTY 2015 and kojima will be sad, just because this sony game is delayed.

I wouldn't worry about it, there's plenty of time to delay MGSV to 2016.

FourMyle

What if Destiny is ass?

606b742e_2ns25vsl0ka9.gif

You know games take time correct?

Some of Sony's studios haven't released a game in years. Plus many of them have multiple teams working on multiple projects. I would think at least 2 would be ready for Fall considering the time it took GG and SP to release their PS4 games (~2 years). I could see a Bend game, MM game, Santa Monica game, and at least one Studio Japan game coming this Fall. That seems realistic to me.

Hmm...that's not true.

A bunch of new trademarks, SCE London Studios, Sony Bend, Guerrilla Cambridge, [URL="http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/25/5445438/guerrilla-games-has-been-working-on-their-new-ip-for-over-two-years"]Guerrilla Games[/URL], Media Molecule, Japan Studios, Sumo Digital and Sony Santa Monica.

Only replying to this because I want to inform people. Yeah, they obviously have a ton of indie games on/coming to their console, but that doesn't erase what their 1st/2nd party studios are working on.

I'm not saying they are going to go from having the most first party output to none, just that it would make sense for them to scale things back.

Melchiah

Rime and The Rapture were absent from Sony's 2014 list they issued. Don't hold your breath.

I thought that only applied to Rapture. Bummer.

Wasn't Rime set for 2015? And the Witness will launch on PC too.

Just like Titanfall did. ;)

Have you played Deadlight

No, I haven't, but I know it's the same developer, and that the game didn't get rave reviews. However, they're now backed up by Santa Monica, just like Thatgamecompany and Giant Sparrow were.

EDIT: Oops! On further inspection, it seems like they aren't. Oh well, hopefully it turns out good.

N.Domixis

Banned
So Sony refuses to money hat any exclusives, so when their first parties fall flat on their faces their platform is left with zero exclusives during the crucial holiday season.

Looks like XB1 is going to be closing the sales gap in NA this fall. They deserve it for thinking ahead.

Lmao if you think sunset overdrive, halo 2 hd, and another rumored forza is going to give any advantage to them. Third parties will sell more consoles than all of those combined.

harSon

Banned
That definitely sucks. Was definitely my most anticipated AAA PS4 exclusive title, by quite a lot.

I agree that delaying the game is always the right move. I wonder if this being Ready at Dawn's first complete foray into the console space had a lot to do with this?

Dat time to triangle tho. Makes me wonder what Sony's got lined up this year if The Order was going to be part of their big Autumn lineup this year.

Hoje0308

Banned
Please just don't buy the game. I don't want them changing this. I'll buy two copies so you don't have to buy one kthnx.

I don't think there's a real reason to fear the Witcher...at least compared to everything else that releases in October/November. Most of those games are 2-3x bigger (or more) than Witcher.

Can we just make a thread where everyone that's worried about the aspect ratio, perceived downgrades and how generic the gameplay looks can go to voice their concerns? Literally every thread on the game gets ruined by this nonsense.

Agree about the Witcher and would like to add that they have distinctly different appeals. I'll be buying both, but for completely different reasons. I don't feel like I'm in the minority here.

KaiserBecks

Talk about poor planning by Soony

Sony Santa Monica new ip = cancelled, this will leave a gap in the lineup

Driveclub = delayed by a year, this could have done well at launch

The order 1886 = delayed....

Uncharted = in limbo

Shouldnt have bought a ps4

I sold mine recently. Greatness can wait.

SRTtoZ

Expected, I'm cool with that as it seems it needs more time in the oven. I'd rather that over a rushed game.

ThisOne

Some of Sony's studios haven't released a game in years. Plus many of them have multiple teams working on multiple projects. I would think at least 2 would be ready for Fall considering the time it took GG and SP to release their PS4 games (~2 years). I could see a Bend game, MM game, Santa Monica game, and at least one Studio Japan game coming this Fall. That seems realistic to me.

Not a chance. Those studios haven't announced what games they're working on. There's no way they all release games this fall.

Moobabe

Not to mention all that talk about how much easier and faster it is to get code up and running on the PS4 over the PS3, this barren wasteland from 1st party studios this year is more ridiculous. And this stuff like Last of Us Remastered is good and all but really screams they should have just made the fucking game for the PS4 in the first place.

How much did TLOU sell on PS3? How much would it have sold as a launch title on PS4? How much more expensive would it have been to make it, ground up, as a PS4 launch title? How much has it cost to port it to PS4? What's the potential ROI on that?

Woods for the trees people.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

The big game for this fall was supposed to be Stig's game and it was called Darksider or something like that.

It stunk. They had to kill it. Note that it was in development since GoW3 and it was never shown publicly. That is why there is a hole in the calendar for 2014.

I'm not saying they are going to go from having the most first party output to none, just that it would make sense for them to scale things back.

I think this isn't a Sony-exclusive thing. The entire industry is consolidating and releasing fewer SKUs. This is the result of escalating costs.

Sony will not be publishing games at retail like Puppeteer ever again.

x-Lundz-x

So instead if October/Novber its about 3 months later. No big deal, plenty of games to play this fall. Still my most wanted game right now though.

Loudninja

Please just don't buy the game. I don't want them changing this. I'll buy two copies so you don't have to buy one kthnx.

I don't think there's a real reason to fear the Witcher...at least compared to everything else that releases in October/November. Most of those games are 2-3x bigger (or more) than Witcher.
Agreed I dont think people understand how much a monster this year will be on the multiplatform front.

jf DOOM

There's plenty for me to play this year so one less game would allow me to take more time with Destiny, Diablo, Dragon age etc...

What's up with all these delays lately ? That means there's a chance that the PS4 will only have Infamous and Driveclub has exclusive this year, two game that was previously delayed too. I hope they'll show some game that will release this year at E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom