• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Trump to announce new Foxconn plant in Wisconsin tomorrow

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
CNBC

Apple-supplier Foxconn will announce a plant in Wisconsin on Wednesday evening, accompanied by President Donald Trumpand Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, a source with knowledge of the announcement told CNBC.

U.S. House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., will also be present at the announcement in Washington, a source said. No exact location for the plant has been chosen — but southeast Wisconsin is under consideration, according to a source.

The Wall Street Journal reported that Foxconn may be eyeing a new U.S. plant for display panels.

I SINCERELY read that as planets, welp

Wait, it WAS planets, wasn't it? Did a mod edit it that fast? Am I being gaslighted?

I mean, Wisconsin is a shithole, but does it really deserve a whole planet dropped on it? Shouldn't we save that tech to unleash on our enemies? Or at least New Jersey?

Goofalo

I guess I'm ok with paying more for a US made display panel.

But I seriously doubt we'll see them in any of my everyday consumer electronics anytime soon.

KoopaTheCasual

An entire planet?!?!

On a serious note, what are the implications of this? Will this Foxconn be able to get by on the ridiculous margins of the Chinese one? Is this part of the "bring US jobs back" initiative?

Edit: Aw, mods you're no fun.

Norfair

I mean, Wisconsin is a shithole, but does it really deserve a whole planet dropped on it? Shouldn't we save that tech to unleash on our enemies? Or at least New Jersey?

Oh come now, Wisconsin isn't that bad. I mean Illinois and Indiana are right there.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
An entire planet?!?!

On a serious note, what are the implications of this? Will this Foxconn be able to get by on the ridiculous margins of the Chinese one? Is this part of the "bring US jobs back" initiative?

I already edited you were just slow to refresh.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
They're gonna need stronger suicide nets.

NMffo2e.jpg

Future

An entire planet?!?!

It's definitely gonna be trump claiming he got a win by helping negotiate this deal to get more jobs. And Wisconsin is the target audience for it

Trump is lobbying hard for the suicide nets to be made out of lasers. He caught the first half of Resident Evil on TBS before bedtime last night. Some scary dreams...but some good ideas too.

Ithil

They don't even have a location? Let alone a start date for construction.

This is a shitty PR stunt. An empty promise.

akileese

What the hell this state sucks for business how did it land a Foxconn deal.

All of the tax breaks. Seriously. If this is a legitimate plant that's actually getting built, they won't have to pay any taxes and will most likely get extra tax breaks if they build a corporate park next to it for "business development".

Shiggy

Will probably end up being a fully automated plant, employing only relatively few people.

I fail to see how this will benefit them with US wages

The machines/robots might be cheaper in the long run. Also, lower transportation costs & no tariffs maybe.

mjc

I doubt anything actually comes of this, it's just a headline so Trump can point to it and say look at what I did.

Dyle

I don't believe it. The only way Foxconn will really invest in a US factory is if they can get huge tax benefits, which Wisconsin can't give them right now. The state budget is three weeks overdue and the state's Republicans have been fighting amongst themselves how to keep our roads halfway serviceable without raising any money to do so. This is a political stunt for Trump and Walker, who still technically hasn't announced that he'll run for office in 2018 since we haven't passed a budget.

sangreal

That's good news for Wisconsin

won't do Trump any good, because he will drown it out with a new scandal or ill-advised tweet

Sephzilla

This is almost certainly the words of someone who's never actually visited the state. Wisconsin is a pretty decent place when you get away from the Milwaukee/Kenosha/Racine area

Ogodei

Wisconsin should doubt Walker's promises of new factories after the iron mine debacle. Walker's pulled this hustle on them before, and bringing the grifter-in-chief in should only diminish that credibility.

SeanC

PR stunt that will amount to nothing just like the Carrier plant. But his followers won't follow up and realize it's all BS so it'll get the job done.

US Foxconn plant...

Riiiiiiiiiight.

Let me guess - they'll still assemble all the iPhones and whatnot in China, and then ship it to their US plant where machines will just slap a MADE-IN-USA sticker on them before selling them at marked-up prices.

Futureman

This is great.

Just ignore the Trump angle for a second.

Apple has SO MUCH MONEY that they could have a huge, positive impact on the US workforce. Hopefully this leads to more jobs.

This is great.

Just ignore the Trump angle for a second.

Apple has SO MUCH MONEY that they could have a huge, positive impact on the US workforce. Hopefully this leads to more jobs.

It's great if it is realized. For now, it'll be an empty promise. Call me in a few years when they're manufacturing Apple products there, then I will agree that it's great news.

Top Bottom