• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Trump to announce new Foxconn plant in Wisconsin tomorrow

Xe4

Banned
So it's going to be a nearly automated factory with 3k jobs (doubtful it's going to be 13k), heavily subsidized by Wisconsin, and with environmental restrictions curbed. Not to mention it may not even go through.

Yeah, pretty fucking shit deal if I don't say so myself. Trump just wants a win.

Dyle

So it's going to be a nearly automated factory with 3k jobs (doubtful it's going to be 13k), heavily subsidized by Wisconsin, and with environmental restrictions curbed. Not to mention it may not even go through.

Yeah, pretty fucking shit deal if I don't say so myself. Trump just wants a win.

The more I hear about this the worse and less likely to happen it gets. The Wisconsin GOP is a mess right now, as the state senate is controlled by legislators who are genuinely fiscally conservative while the House is more typical for the GOP, so I could see the combination of the price and environmental requirements being just enough for the party to not end up funding it at the levels the news has reported. It's a bit of a long shot, but there might be hope that it never gets the legislative support it needs.

spwolf

its how it works... California was ready to roll back some environmental rules to get gigafactory on its turf.

3k jobs and 10 billion investment is a good deal for any state... Cant look at everything only through Trump glasses.

Piecake

The deal President Trump called “incredible” and Gov. Scott Walker hailed as a “once-in-a-century” opportunity to bring the electronic manufacturing giant Foxconn to Wisconsin wouldn’t generate profits for the state until 2042, a new legislative analysis projects.

Foxconn said it would break ground in southeastern Wisconsin and hire 3,000 workers there over the next four years, with the “potential” to create 13,000 jobs.

If the company hits that growth target, Wisconsin would break even after 25 years, said Rob Reinhardt, a program manager who worked on the report. If 13,000 jobs never materialize, it could take decades longer.

Wisconsin has an unusually low unemployment rate (3.2 percent), which is significantly lower than the country’s 4.3 percent. Employers there already complain about having trouble finding workers. (As The Post’s Chico Harlan reported last week , some are easing the labor demand with robots.)

If Foxconn fills jobs with workers from neighboring Illinois, where the unemployment rate is 4.7 percent, analysts predict the deal won’t start making money for Wisconsin until 2045.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...sin-money-for-25-years-report-says/ar-AApMNBy

The best deals

aeolist

Banned
While 25 years is certainly an incredibly long time to recoup money for the state, I am curious on the downstream/other stimulus effects it will have on the regional economy.

the entire point of this deal is to siphon money out of wisconsin taxpayers and enrich wealthy foxconn shareholders and executives. even disregarding the disgusting ethical considerations, the state economy would be far better served by taking this money and handing it out to the poorest state residents with no strings attached.

It's better to have the factory in the US than not. The jobs created aren't just in the production chain. You have to build, maintain, service, and transport. Automation in no way invalidates the benefit of having them locally.

They will be local due to automation. Just without the mass jobs.

Aren't those jobs atrocious in terms of work conditions? Should we applaud the US joining China in terms of quality of life...

edit: Didn't think of automation. So perhaps a few good jobs and lots of robots...

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
My sister and her husband lives in Madison (awesome city btw) and most people there are vehemently against this plant. The subsidies and environmental impact is not even remotely worth the relatively small amount of jobs it will provide.

My sister and her husband lives in Madison (awesome city btw) and most people there are vehemently against this plant. The subsidies and environmental impact is not even remotely worth the relatively small amount of jobs it will provide.

Scott Pruitt and Trump give no fucks about the environmental damage. Hell, the runoff from the plant could turn drinking water toxic in Madison and I doubt they'd give one fuck about it.

Zenner

Back when Microsoft first introduced the oversize Surface Hub, they were talking about moving production if those displays to the US; too much hassle for transport, with repair/replace also needing shipping back & forth. Dunno if they followed through, or if this had any impact on this new plant, tho.

Tovarisc

So they really are willing to live with that pact with the Devil?

I guess short term gain for GOP is worth it to cause cancer and other nasties few decades down the road for locals because of waste dumping. Along with just general killing of local nature.

They will be local due to automation. Just without the mass jobs.

Indeed. He said he would bring manufacturing back to the US. He said he would take work off of illegal immigrants too. Automation solves both without all the icky business of actually giving people jobs.

Top Bottom