• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Trump to announce new Foxconn plant in Wisconsin tomorrow

SDCowboy

So are these potentially 13k jobs going to be filled by Americans, or are a bunch of Chinese workers just going to be sent over?

Ardenyal

Made in murica, profit goes to republic of china.

They're going to make bank off the back of these nationalists.

LeleSocho

Banned
"If i didn't get elected he would definitively would not be spending 10 billions dollars"
wow this guy, this. freaking. guy...
This deal would have been made even if a newborn baby was in the oval office.

Hazmat

You do realize the suicide rate at that factory is equal to the number of suicides in a city of the exact same population? 930,000 work at Foxconn, with the highest suicide rate was 14 in 2010. Shenzhen actually had a lower suicide rate than most of China.

You do realize that I was just making a joke, right? I shouldn't be surprised that GAF has Foxconn supporters, yet here I am.

superbeau

Neo Member
Why is everyone only talking about iPhones like that's all Foxconn makes?
Foxconn makes e v e r y t h i n g for almost everyone

After the Carrier thing I have no reason not to believe this is all fluff and bullshit. Apparently Foxconn has a habit of announcing plants that never get built.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I don't believe him. Not even willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

This will turn out just like or worse than the Carrier deal. Political grandstanding from Liar in Chief.

This is actually a big political victory for Trump if this comes to fruition

Is it? The Carrier announcement didn't have a lasting effect on his approval numbers, Carrier got rid of the jobs anyway, and this is for a much smaller amount of jobs than the national economy creates in a given month.

ekurisona

plane-taking-off.jpg

Qvoth

just read this on my bbc news app, you have to wonder about the salary cost though, like this is pretty nuts

It'll be interesting to see how long this takes to get built if it ever does, and how much of it will be automated.

Foxconn is almost completely automated now so I would expect it to be the same in the US as well with staff brought on board just for maintenance purposes.

13k workers?

You'll get 30k resumes.

Also, doubt it will happen. Everyone knows Trump's world of handouts isn't going to last forever. It'll take at least 3 years for this place to even get up and running fully (if it started today). They're not going to invest money when incentives will be removed as soon as the next dude is in office.

Hoodwinked again right-wing-nut-jobs.

13k workers?

You'll get 30k resumes.

Also, doubt it will happen. Everyone knows Trump's world of handouts isn't going to last forever. It'll take at least 3 years for this place to even get up and running fully (if it started today). They're not going to invest money when incentives will be removed as soon as the next dude is in office.

Hoodwinked again right-wing-nut-jobs.

I doubt they even hire 6k workers to be honest.

Piecake

On the table is up to $3 billion in state tax breaks. The state legislature could approve the economic incentive package as early as August.

These payouts, Wisconsin officials said, come with lofty expectations. As long as Foxconn keeps hiring U.S. workers at the new flat-screen manufacturing facility, Wisconsin would cut the company $200 million to $250 million a year for up to 15 years.

That works out to a rough cost to the state of about $230,700 per worker, assuming the factory goes on to generate 13,000 jobs.

The coming plant represents a political victory for Walker, who bills himself a jobs creator and who faces reelection next year, as well as for Trump, who has made American manufacturing central to his economic agenda.

Foxconn has so far committed to creating 3,000 jobs at the plant by 2020, with an average yearly wage of $53,000. The company said in a statement to The Washington Post that the number has the “potential to grow” to 13,000.

Approval of the full incentive package would mean Foxconn, which made nearly $140 billion in revenue in 2015, could net up to $1.5 billion for creating Wisconsin jobs and another $1.35 billion for building the plant in the state’s southeast area.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...sin-230700-per-worker/?utm_term=.e1c7776d6a3e

That doesn't seem like a very good deal...

AmyS

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1332072&

SAN JOSE, Calif. — Hon Hai Precision, the parent company of Foxconn, will spend $10 billion to build in Kenosha, Wisconsin a 10.5-generation LCD plant for 8K displays. The deal brokered by the Trump Administration includes $3 billion in tax breaks to create at least 3,000 Foxconn jobs in the U.S.

“TV was invented in America, but it does not have a single fab to produce a single 8K system--we are going to change that,” said Foxconn chairman and founder in a White House event. “We are committed to build the most advanced 8K ecosystem in America — the most advanced in the world,” Gou said.

The deal initially includes a 20 million square foot Foxconn campus but could ultimately create up to 13,000 Foxconn and 22,000 indirect jobs. The Foxconn jobs will have an average annual salary of $53,000 plus benefits, said Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker.

In a Foxconn press release, Gou said the Wisconsin plant was “the first in a series of facilities we will build in several U.S. states, this is part of a bigger plan to create a robust 8K+5G ecosystem in the United States,” implying smartphone manufacturing.

That's going to be about 18 miles away from here, though I'm on the IL side.

Top Bottom