• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Trump to announce new Foxconn plant in Wisconsin tomorrow

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
They don't even have a location? Let alone a start date for construction.

This is a shitty PR stunt. An empty promise.

Basically how I'm looking at it. More hot air that I'll believe when I actually physically see it. Much like his Ford plant PR bull shit storm.

I mean, Wisconsin is a shithole, but does it really deserve a whole planet dropped on it? Shouldn't we save that tech to unleash on our enemies? Or at least New Jersey?

Hyuk hyuk, great dig at New Jersey and Wisconsin. I'm sure you live in some utopia yourself.

If foxconn is actually making a plant in the US, you bet your ass it will be almost entirely automated

Future Trump tweet: From this day forward robots are no longer allowed to serve in the military.

Dyle

This is great.

Just ignore the Trump angle for a second.

Apple has SO MUCH MONEY that they could have a huge, positive impact on the US workforce. Hopefully this leads to more jobs.

You're assuming a lot, like that it will actually be built. Estimated employment numbers for this factory have bounced between 1,000 and 10,000, they have no location, and the collaboration so far has been inviting a bunch of Foxconn execs to Scott Walker's house for a barbecue. If there are no solid details, then this factory is worth nothing more than a handshake and a photo-op.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
How many humans are going to work at this plant?

Also, the job of the fucking president of the United States is not to negotiate one off plant openings. It's macro-level policy setting.

But this orange turd only knows how to work a photo op and nothing else. How's that Carrier plant that he and Pence made such a big deal about saving doing? Those Ford plants he kept open?

Like, congrats? Someone else opened a factory in America. You want a fucking cookie? Why don't you open a god damned textile plant in North NJ for your families overpriced branded products?

StoOgE

This is great.

Just ignore the Trump angle for a second.

Apple has SO MUCH MONEY that they could have a huge, positive impact on the US workforce. Hopefully this leads to more jobs.

No, they don't. Apple is a publicly traded company, and they are not opening up US based plants because they are flush with cash.

If this happens it is to move the supply chain closer to the US because Chinese labor has gotten more expensive and losing 3-4 weeks on the water chokes the supply chains at the holidays and costs revenue along with greater automation meaning there are less humans involved.

This is not a company doing anything out of the kindness of their hearts. If Apple was making an economically non-viable move it would just be an opening for a competitor to massively undercut their pricing and their shareholders would not eat lower-margin products just cuz.

StoOgE

US Foxconn plant...

Riiiiiiiiiight.

Let me guess - they'll still assemble all the iPhones and whatnot in China, and then ship it to their US plant where machines will just slap a MADE-IN-USA sticker on them before selling them at marked-up prices.

To be fair, iphones are also not made in China. They are assembled in China. They are made globally including in the US, Japan, Europe and South Korea.

LQX

Back in the day, a Foxconn motherboard was the last thing I wanted as I thought of them as some shitty unknown vendor, little did I know they manufacture every damn thing and was bigger than every other motherboard manufacturer outside of Intel.

Ri'Orius

A new factory gets a full dog and pony show, but banning trans people from the military just merits a few tweets. Stay Presidential, Donny.

Hale-XF11

SE Wisconsin gets everything. Build it in Janseville instead, since they lost GM and could really use the boost in the local economy right now. Not that I expect the jobs to pay all that well, but still.

SE Wisconsin gets everything. Build it in Janseville instead, since they lost GM and could really use the boost in the local economy right now. Not that I expect the jobs to pay all that well, but still.

Janesville is still going to benefit from this, as will Chicago, Madison, and even the Twin Cities. This is going to go a long way in turning Silicon Prairie from being a bit of an optimistic term to a reality.

Hyuk hyuk, great dig at New Jersey and Wisconsin. I'm sure you live in some utopia yourself.

I live in Ohio...

full

Boke1879

It'll be interesting to see how long this takes to get built if it ever does, and how much of it will be automated.

Sorry, why the hell would Foxconn build a plant in Wisconsin? What do they gain by that?

It is actually becoming advantageous to relocate some manufacturing back to the US. However, when it is coming over, it is generally advanced manufacturing. Meaning most systems automated, skeleton crew oversight of the plant floor. And those workers needing to have college degrees with technical backgrounds to get hired. So not much of a hit on labor costs, while saving on shipping, etc.

So basically not truly addressing the traditional manufacturing so many people cling to and think is coming back.

The price of electronics like iPhones are probably going to go up a lot since Foxconn will have to pay US minimum wage and benefits to all it's employees, unlike the plants in China.

And that's on top of the already rumored price hike.

avaya

The price of electronics like iPhones are probably going to go up a lot since Foxconn will have to pay US minimum wage and benefits to all it's employees, unlike the plants in China.

This plant will not be filled with humans.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's better to have the factory in the US than not. The jobs created aren't just in the production chain. You have to build, maintain, service, and transport. Automation in no way invalidates the benefit of having them locally.

zulux21

Yeah, I can totally see WI folks working for peanuts.

nah peanuts don't motivate people here cheese curds do :p

I mean, Wisconsin is a shithole, but does it really deserve a whole planet dropped on it? Shouldn't we save that tech to unleash on our enemies? Or at least New Jersey?

hey the madison area is pretty decent.

min wage in wisconsin is 7.25 and as long as they are only part time workers (which can work 30 hours a week) they don't have to give them any sort of benefits. not that many people would work there if that was the case but wisconsin doesn't even have break laws.

the only law on the books that I could find related to breaks is if you take an unpaid lunch you have to have at least 30 min of uninterrupted break or else they have to pay you (aka if it would be an issue for you to leave the building for 30 min then they should likely be paying you)

there are no required 10 or 15 minute breaks for an 8 hour shift that I can find, and I don't think there is any required lunch breaks either.

I looked this stuff up to get out of taking lunches on a 6.5 hour shift and instead take 2 15 min paid breaks as I hate sitting around on lunch.

NYR

Make Suicide Nets Great Again.
You do realize the suicide rate at that factory is equal to the number of suicides in a city of the exact same population? 930,000 work at Foxconn, with the highest suicide rate was 14 in 2010. Shenzhen actually had a lower suicide rate than most of China.

Beartruck

In terms of new plants being actually built in southeast Wisconsin to be excited about, Haribo Is moving US production of Candy from Turkey to Wisconsin in 2020. They make damn fine gummies.

If foxconn is actually making a plant in the US, you bet your ass it will be almost entirely automated

Pretty much wouldn't be surprised if they got some subsidies for it. They can increase their knowledge base in automation take back the experience to China.

Wouldn't be surprised if Foxconn will become a world leader in setting up fully automated factories in the future.

snap

Banned

They'll be making phone screens here. Apple exclusively sources their screens from LG--it's hard to imagine Foxconn, known for being very cost-efficient, will be able to produce displays that are as high quality as LG's displays, which are class-leading.

Nipo

I wonder if self driving cars in the US in the 2020s will make domestic manufacturing more affordable as transport costs would even further reduce compared to transpacific shipping.

shira

That's good news for Wisconsin
Are Americans really going to work for 90 cents a day assembling 1000 iPhones on alternating 14 hours work cycles?

Foxconn China factories are unbelievably cost and work efficient. How can that possibly translate to America?

How many humans are going to work at this plant?

>could create 10,000 jobs
Doesn't say if those are human jobs or robot jobs

edit: http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/26/technology/business/foxconn-wisconsin/index.html
up to 13k jobs

LeleSocho

Banned
They'll be making phone screens here. Apple exclusively sources their screens from LG--it's hard to imagine Foxconn, known for being very cost-efficient, will be able to produce displays that are as high quality as LG's displays, which are class-leading.

Foxconn bought Sharp under "advice" from Apple to produce screens for future iPhones, Apple has also bought CVD machines to lend to whoever they like (Sharp/Foxconn)...
it's just a "connect the dots" kind of stuff, this deal was in the air for a long time.

zulux21

So the same as most companies in the us?

bing says.
Foxconn average salary is $52,786, median salary is $47,000 with a salary range from $26,520 to $152,663. Foxconn salaries are collected from government agencies and companies.

which $26,520 is actually $12.75 an hour. for 40 hours a week on average.

which is more than the company I work for pays our "factory" workers.

they aren't real factory workers but they are very close.

our workers for the most part are part time with no benefits (can't get health insurance through my company unless you are full time and no paid holidays unless you are full time ect) so I mean if that is accurate it might actually be cheaper to make things in wisconsin than china.

Top Bottom