• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Universal developing a live action Legend of Zelda movie

Kadve

Inst Link forbidden from having a voice by Nintendo mandate nowadays? Are they gonna ignore that?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Live action would flop hard. But then again I seriously doubt these rumors are real.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I think Nintendo and Universal need to get in touch with Guillermo Del Toro for directing duties and then bring in both Weta Digital and Jim Henson Productions to help bring the world
of Hyrule to life.

If not Del Toro for director, my second pick would be Louis Leterrier(Clash of the Titans and The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance)

There's no doubt the Zelda movie(s) have to be treated exactly like how New Line Cinema was able to make the live action Lord of the Rings movies. NO CAMP.

Jinzo Prime

I think Nintendo and Universal need to get in touch with Guillermo Del Toro for directing duties and then bring in both Weta Digital and Jim Henson Productions to help bring the world
of Hyrule to life.

If not Del Toro for director, my second pick would be Louis Leterrier(Clash of the Titans and The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance)

There's no doubt the Zelda movie(s) have to be treated exactly like how New Line Cinema was able to make the live action Lord of the Rings movies. NO CAMP.
I agree, Weta Workshop is a must. If Del Toro is involved, keep him away from the writer's room.

I don’t see how a Zelda movie works because Link doesn’t speak. But then again I didn’t see how a Mario movie would work and clearly that turned out fine 🤷‍♂️. Plus what makes Zelda fun is spending lots of time aimlessly wandering around trying to solve puzzles in a dungeon and getting stuck and unstuck.

But that’s old Zelda. With these BotW games I guess maybe they could lean into the story from those with that cutscene anime style they have. It just seems very un-Zelda to me, if they go that route.

nial

Gold Member
They're not going to collaborate with a Japanese animation studio for Zelda after the massive success of the Western-made Mario movie, come on people...

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Gross…Should be animated, its the only way it will translate without either looking stupid like say One Piece on Netflix or too dark and mature.
What if it looks like Lord of the Rings though?

Draugoth

Gold Member
Megan-Fox-MGK-Halloween-backgrid-embed.jpg

Megan Fox?

Gojiira

Banned
What if it looks like Lord of the Rings though?
Depends,they would have to seriously consider the art direction for that. For instance OoT Link would look hilariously out of place with the campy tunic and hat.
If they made Link more like his Twilight Princess look then sure go full LOTR, Dark and serious, play into horror aspects with Redeads and Stalfos, make Ganon a truly malevolent villain.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I'm also not sure how they can make this movie in this day and age, it'll be wrong to hire any actor who's not really Hyrulian for the role.

gaheris

That doesn't really make sense because of the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strike since they can't talk to any actor or writer at the moment. Nothing can get done especially in live-action until the strikes are over. While a potential deal between Nintendo and Universal will happen I doubt they can be solidified until the strike ends.

Last edited:

PSFan

I think the question that we should be asking is not who will be Link and Zelda, it's which Zelda game will the movie be based from? We may end up having child Link and Zelda instead of the adult versions.

Top Bottom