• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Warner Brothers rethinking entire DC film slate based on Batman v Superman

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTripper

This is exactly why people think Superman is boring.

Clark Kent is a good character. Pretty much everything related to the "Super" part of Superman is painfully dull.

And even so, the Snyder Superman is even more boring than what people generally know of Superman. He's lighter than Batman, he's not constantly frowning and so serious all the time. MoS did nothing to promote any sort of light side to this Superman so he comes off as a dull archetype with no personality (which is what reinforce when when they assume Superman is boring just because he's the best at everything, which to me, is not what Superman is about at all).

I love Superman, but his super powers and ideal hero symbol is not what the character is all about.

Even though I don't think this is true, I really hope it isn't true anyway because DC really should just push through with the movies. It's not like everyone things every single Marvel film is the greatest thing to grace the earth so no one should think the same about every DC film either.

This film is fine. Even if it doesn't do Superman any favour, fix it with the next film. You're being a lot back in this one and not everyone can be equally amazing in one movie, with so many introductions.

Stick to it DC, do NOT run straight back to Batman.

Reading this thread, I feel like I've taken crazy pills. So much confirmation bias from people that ain't even seen the film yet....

I saw MoS and the only moment where i felt they genuinely nailed Supes is, ironically enough, when he shows up as Clark in the Daily Planet at the very end

Naw, like has been pointed out in this thread, supes has been done well in both the Donner film and the animated series.

I mean we live in a world where boring-as-fuck captain america is on his third film and his film version is pretty damn good and faithful to the comics. The problem with the DCU supes is that he's like a shitty Frank Miller version which already is kinda shitty really
Captain America is a thousand times more interesting as a super hero than Superman. Ironically, Superman and Captain America essentially embody the same moral compass and traits. I don't know how you could call Captain America boring and claim that Superman is more interesting.

Everything that was good about the Animated series Superman was related to Clark Kent.

Patryn

Snyder gritty Superman is a fundamentally flawed concept. They're still taking the wrong message from the success of the Nolanverse.

I think part of it also comes from them wanting to differentiate themselves from Marvel's lighter tones, along with how Man of Steel was so clearly a reaction to the criticism of Superman Returns, by focusing so heavily on the action and fighting.

It's funny how I've kind of come around and now I'm a little wistful that we never got Abram's Superman. The description sounded interesting, except for the whole bit about Lex being Kryptonian as well.

Interfectum

It's probably not going to be a movie that deserves to win awards but neither was The Avengers.

Even if the film was mediocre I don't see what that would change.

As for their DC movie slate that was ridiculous from the go. Cyborg solo movie in 2020? Why? For who? I don't even know if you can say they're rethinking the DC film slate, because it didn't seem like they were thinking about it the first time around.

They gonna have to put Batman in all these movies just to get butts in the seats.

BFIB

I saw MoS and the only moment where i felt they genuinely nailed Supes is, ironically enough, when he shows up as Clark in the Daily Planet at the very end

LOL, here we go. Its the dude's first day as Superman, and people expect him to be out there saving cats out of trees for kids.

The movie will make money. However, critical acclaim and fan approval (especially following the mixed reactions to Man of Steel) is arguably of equal value to Warner Bros' longterm plans. Two of the most iconic super heroes together on screen? The release should be a cultural event to match Star Wars.

It won't be that. The truth of the matter is, no one knows how big this film will actually be as the measure for success in the minds of Warner Bros could conceivably be higher than many of us expect.

• 48 hour sales
  • Weekend sales
  • Long queues around streets
  • 1.0bn
  • 1.5bn
  • 1.7bn
  • Break records on social media mentions
  • Media enthusiasm
  • Critical acclaim

Personally though, despite being a Superman fan, Marvel's Civil War looks far more interesting than People Punched Through Walls The Movie

Corpsepyre

Banned
Uh, not sure about this. Lets wait and see how this transpires.

They should totally bring in Grant Morrison to pen Justice League's script though. Imagine the fuckery.

I've spent my whole life thinking Batman > Marvel > DC.

Nothing has changed.

I just can't imagine any scenario where WB can make something even a fraction of the juggernaut that the MCU is and will be at the box office.

The best DC universe in motion media has always been animated. Focus on that.

karasu

I hate when people act like Zack Snyder did something new to Superman by making him brood. Snyder didn't create this shit. In the silver age Superman used to brood in his fortress of solitude all of the time because so many of the people he cared about were dead or beaten senseless. In his Golden Age origins he used to beat the ever-living fuck out of criminals and he enjoyed it. It's like people are operating under this shallow idea that Batman = The gritty night and Superman = Beaches and sunshine. That's such bullshit. I think people get it from the Donner movies where Superman was basically Jesus Christ mindwiping people with magical french kisses and shit. Superman's identity as a boyscout is something that was created by Batman writers(Frank Miller, for example) to purposely reduce him to something absurd. It's never truly been who the character was.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think part of it also comes from them wanting to differentiate themselves from Marvel's lighter tones, along with how Man of Steel was so clearly a reaction to the criticism of Superman Returns, by focusing so heavily on the action and fighting.

It's funny how I've kind of come around and now I'm a little wistful that we never got Abram's Superman. The description sounded interesting, except for the whole bit about Lex being Kryptonian as well.
Good point. Marketing interests would want to position them differently.

Too bad Superman might even be a sunnier character than much of Marvel...

Superman just sucks no matter what. He's boring as shit.
Nobody gives a shit except S tshirt wearing bros.

I know DC and WB are to blame for Superman's current reputation, what with their over reliance on Batman at the expense of their other properties, but this isn't true. There's lots of good Superman material out there.

Daft_Cat

GAF is full of brilliant, big dick, rich, intelligent playboys who can do pretty much anything. Don't you know? I love the hyperbole, one rumor by some dude struggling to breath who isn't trustworthy and they jump on it as if it will save their life. The irrational hate is just dumb, after a while it should be clear whatever they're doing over at DC isn't your cup of tea. Just ignore it.

Tell me about it. And while you're at it, look up "ad hominem".

Patryn

I've spent my whole life thinking Batman > Marvel > DC.

Nothing has changed.

I just can't imagine any scenario where WB can make something even a fraction of the juggernaut that the MCU is and will be at the box office.

The best DC universe in motion media has always been animated. Focus on that.

DC's TV shows are all doing pretty well. Especially when you compare them to Marvel's network (read non-Netflix) offerings.

Superman is not an easy character to work with. He is the definition of a character that a 5 year old would think up as far as overpowering and his library of skills.

You either repeat kryptonite over and over to bring him down levels or you have to go with the absurd to create something that can actually stand upto superman.

Not surprising Batman works much easier
You don't need something that can actually stand up to Superman (though Doomsday and Darkseid are both great villains who do that). You need something that can threaten what he cares for, the Earth and it's people.

I'm confident in Snyder with BvS. Man of Steel was a fantastic representation of Superman. The people complaining are expecting a copy of Christopher Reeves' Superman, George Reeves' Superman, or the DCAU Superman (who is arguably more similar to the Snyder Superman than the previous two).

Snyder's Superman is a great representation of what Superman is supposed to be (not a Boy Scout) and I guess that just doesn't appeal to some people.

FeD.nL

I think they hit the nail on the head with the conclusion.

Who is the Feige at DC?

From the looks of it Snyder is basically directing the big films and producing the rest.

LOL, here we go. Its the dude's first day as Superman, and people expect him to be out there saving cats out of trees for kids.

then maybe it was a terrible idea to do an origin story for supes? MCU didn't do one for the Hulk, Thor, and many other side characters. And people are really familiar with Supes' origin, they could've done a montage at the beginning and just started with a still naive and inexperienced supes just starting to get accustomed to being a hero and a lot of the nonsense could've been avoided.

Instead, they basically did the first season of DBZ and it just wasn't good. Not terrible, but not good either

inm8num2

I'm not too worried. BvS will deliver. Not everyone will love it, but with a better script than MoS it has a chance to be really good, perhaps great.

The movie will make money. However, critical acclaim and fan approval (especially following the mixed reactions to Man of Steel) is arguably of equal value to Warner Bros' longterm plans. Two of the most iconic super heroes together on screen? The release should be a cultural event to match Star Wars.

It won't be that. The truth of the matter is, no one knows how big this film will actually be as the measure for success in the minds of Warner Bros could conceivably be higher than many of us expect.

• 48 hour sales
  • Weekend sales
  • Long queues around streets
  • 1.0bn
  • 1.5bn
  • 1.7bn
  • Break records on social media mentions
  • Media enthusiasm
  • Critical acclaim

Personally though, despite being a Superman fan, Marvel's Civil War looks far more interesting than People Punched Through Walls The Movie

So basically, its ASM2 all over again?

I would agree with Batman being the focus. Superman is too difficult to accurately portray in film. Batman is a safer bet. And so is Affleck.

massoluk

Banned
I think they hit the nail on the head with the conclusion.

Who is the Feige at DC?

From the looks of it Snyder is basically directing the big films and producing the rest.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nolan was supposed to be it at one point, right?

bryanee

They just had an hour long TV event reconfirming their plans for the DC properties including Justice League, they even got all their actors up to talk about the characters and how they are and so on. And now what two or three weeks later they're changing it all.

I don't buy it.

zma1013

Superman is boring and unrelatable and Batman is exciting and awesome and lets people imagine the fantasy of vigilante justice. This is no surprise to me. But yes, please make a Batman movie with this Batman. I need it.

Daft_Cat

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nolan was supposed to be it at one point, right?

I'm pretty sure WB just threw money at him to be involved in any way possible, resulting in a producer credit on Man of Steel. IIRC, he was incredibly hands-off (and I doubt he continues to be involved in any meaningful way).

I always liked the interpretation of Superman from Lois and Clark, in the sense of how Clark is such a bumbling and naive guy. That worked really well with the sarcastic and realistic personality of Lois.

Basically, Superman should be powerful, but Clark should be the other side of the coin by being relatable on a personal level.

Superman is boring and unrelatable and Batman is exciting and awesome and lets people imagine the fantasy of vigilante justice. This is no surprise to me. But yes, please make a Batman movie with this Batman. I need it.

How in the heck is Batman relatable besides being a human?

icespide

Banned
They just had an hour long TV event reconfirming their plans for the DC properties including Justice League, they even got all their actors up to talk about the characters and how they are and so on. And now what two or three weeks later they're changing it all.

I don't buy it.

they could still change everything, I really doubt they give a shit about a TV special that aired on the CW

DC's TV shows are all doing pretty well. Especially when you compare them to Marvel's network (read non-Netflix) offerings.

They're a little Dawson's Creek for me, but yeah, good on them. Still can't pretend it touches the DCAU though.

On a side note, the old Birds of Prey show was pretty close to what it needed to be. Not close enough.

I'm pretty sure WB just threw money at him to be involved in any way possible, resulting in a producer credit on Man of Steel. IIRC, he was incredibly hands-off (and I doubt he continues to be involved in any meaningful way).

I think Nolan and Goyer came up with the idea for MoS and WB bought it without question. Other than maybe bringing Zimmer on board he had nothing to do with it.

Metalmarc

I wish Warners would

Give the first Justice League movie to Abrams, give the second one to another director
Let Edgar Wright do either Green Latern or another Film
Let Guillermo Del Toro do HellBlazer (dont think about Justice League Dark... For now)
Make a Arkham based Batman Movie
Make a Nightwing movie

I can dream

Vyer

Wasn't there an AV Club report that said pretty much the opposite of this? Something about pushing Affleck's other stuff back to possibly move solo Batman stuff forward?

I kinda laugh at the timing of this though. Guess it was a little too positive today, eh?

well from all the footage superman looks like the uninteresting part of the film and batman and alfred look like the fucking bomb.

so i could see them restructuring it more around batman going forward...which aint bad tbh. it's what i expected years ago before man of steel if they were ever to go dcu. unless they had a massively charismatic superman which they don't got. or this could just be unsubstantiated crap. who knows. it's hard to know what's true in these comic book rumors, it's a damn mess of fanboy shit mixed in with legit sources.

Dc's TV shows are too corny for me and have terribad acting. I've seen one season and a half of Flash and it hasn't gotten much better. Bring them animated shows back DC!

Dabanton

Whether this is true or not we'll see in a few weeks. But it has been noticed that it's curious this news comes when a great trailer comes out.

No better way to get those website clicks up from both the fans and the haters. Play both sides off.

icespide

Banned
damn so much vitriol in this thread.

I don't think gamers are allowed to be happy.

image.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom