• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Warner Brothers rethinking entire DC film slate based on Batman v Superman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

Don't really understand the people at WB when it comes to these films.
Seem to flip on every decision.

A lot of it is probably driven by executives who don't understand DC or comics, and all they see is a company with Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, these super recognizable characters, and Marvel is fucking eating their lunch with B-tier properties like Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-man.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Why am I not surprised. Jesus Christ, how hard is it to make Superman act like Superman? He's not fucking Batman, stop trying to make him Batman. Batman is Batman. Go watch the Superman TAS and Justice Leage/JLU. Now make Cavill act like that. There, I saved your billion dollar franchise. You're welcome.

Seriously. I will laugh and laugh if Zack Snyder is out.

Ridley327

Superman is the centerpoint, via Man of Steel. They needed that to work (and it did... enough) in order to move forward. Batman v. Superman (fucking stupid name) is more or less a Man of Steel sequel, but they're absolutely selling it as a Batman movie w/ Superman in it. Which it might have become once Affleck got Terrio in there. It's still hard to tell whose movie this ultimately belongs to, even though the basic structure of the film's been out there for awhile thanks to Faraci having read the script and basically laid out the major plot beats—nothing surprising at all, considering who is in the film and where it has to lead to. But nobody's going to this thing for its fucking plot anyway.

But this movie doesn't happen unless Man of Steel happens, and key aspects of the film's universe are rooted in that. The climax of that film plays heavily into how and why people are doing what they're doing in this one. Everything traces back to Superman's first day on the job in Metropolis, basically. he's the bullseye at the center of this universe.

BUUUUUUUT: It's entirely possible, if the WB as Reactionary Executives narrative does hold true, that they're nervous about this version of Superman they're putting forward being that anchor, especially when confronted with a Batman in Affleck who is consistently bringing them successes both critically and financially, and the reaction to Suicide Squad, which is very much Batman-centric without actually being a Batman movie.

It becomes a question as to whether Warner Brothers has decided to short their own investment in Superman.

One of the bigger rumors in the past couple of months was that the Cyborg film got dropped in favor of reworking him back into Teen Titans, which does seem to also feed into the idea of shifting everything DCCU to a Batman center.

Miracle

Nothing about their current approach to Supes works for me. And it really sucks because, for the most part, Marvel stuck fairly close to their comic characters with the MCU stuff and it paid off damn well.

Seeing WB struggle to figure out superman when what most people are okay with is the Christopher Reeve version that is now nearing 40 years old just seems like they simply dont get what audiences want. And don't come with bububub superman returns! because that film is stupid as hell and got supes wrong, too

Justice League Animated Superman will always be best Superman.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=etPYl1OQoqk

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ecAvYw1URFc

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-mTY737FRl4

https://youtube.com/watch?v=XacMk-B-m6k

WB is clueless for not making Superman act like this.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
That's pretty much in line with with the reactions to the latest BvS trailer: Affleck Bats was great, everything else was meh.

pantsmith

(Trigger warning: I compare DC and Marvel - the last time I wrote something similar I dug up some weird fanboy butthurt, which I have zero vested interest in)

I can only speak to my own tastes, but its always looked way too “grimdark” and edgy for its own good. Dark works for Batman, but Superman looks and feels out of place in this cinematic universe (to me).

The trailer is enjoyable, and I appreciate the weird touches (young Lex, Doomsday is somehow Zod?), but DC’s suits continue to lack any kind of compelling vision beyond their merchandise selling in Hot Topic. Meanwhile Marvel made a household name out of Guardians of the Galaxy, which which I never would have expected. Get a diverse color palette and look to the people who actually know and care about these characters, instead of trying to make everything look like Batman. Super heroes can be serious, but they're also fun and funny too.

I always get the sense that Snyder comes from that school of comic-nerds that are super in to the super weird and absurd aspects of comics, rather than storytelling itself.

I can just imagine from behind the scenes, WB putting too much faith in to him, then realizing too late that Snyder's just that nerd who wants to show the masses how absurd and crazy comics can get.

GeeTeeCee

a "rumor" written by a guy with a shitty "no jokes policy" article confirming the bias of know-it-alls.

Yep. Look how long that previous bogus rumour lasted across general discussion on the internet (probably right up until the Suicide Squad trailer for most). I see no reason to believe the guy again this time.

Herbs

Banned
Called it. In their rush to match Marvel they fucked their universe up. Too bad they opted to differentiate their successful TV push from their cinematic push.

Anth0ny

Eh, sounds too good to be true.

But if BvS actually is the shits, they better get Snyder the fuck out of there as soon as possible.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I love the guy who's never worked in a movie studio commenting about how a movie studio should be run.

GAF is full of brilliant, big dick, rich, intelligent playboys who can do pretty much anything. Don't you know? I love the hyperbole, one rumor by some dude struggling to breath who isn't trustworthy and they jump on it as if it will save their life. The irrational hate is just dumb, after a while it should be clear whatever they're doing over at DC isn't your cup of tea. Just ignore it.

Pineapple

In fact he goes on to guess that while Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman will go forward as is, Justice League will be pushed back to be heavily retooled and he'd bet that Zach Snyder won't be directing it. Instead, Warner will shell out whatever it takes to get Ben Affleck to do a Batman film, and then refocus the DC Cinematic Universe around him.

Good. I've always felt that we should have been receiving a dedicated Affleck Batman film before the start of the JL films.

I want to see a film that revolves around Affleck's Batman and Leto's Joker.

GAF is full of brilliant, big dick, rich, intelligent playboys who can do pretty much anything. Don't you know? I love the hyperbole, one rumor by some dude struggling to breath who isn't trustworthy and they jump on it as if it will save their life. The irrational hate is just dumb, after a while it should be clear whatever they're doing over at DC isn't your cup of tea. Just ignore it.

Geez man I can feel you persecution complex from here. Don't you want the best movies possible if BvS is lukewarm shouldn't they mix things up?

What I don't get is what has changed over the past couple months? It seems like common knowledge they've been sitting on the film because they barely missed their 2015 release date. I think Snyder even commented in an interview towards the end of last year that most of his time was being spent on JL preproduction at that point cause BvS was more or less done.

If they were worried about it, things would have been put on hold before they went any further with Wonder Woman and JL preproduction.

Warner Bros had a terrible 2015 and need to make money. This reeks of suits worried about making $1.2 billion when they wanted to make $1.5 billion.

People here are so quick to assume bad news is automatically the truth

The best part is past negative rumors are just now established facts.

Lunar15

People liked Jessie Eisenberg? I thought looked and sounded terrible in the trailers.

That's the tip that this is fake.

No. He's really not.

Superman is the quintessential superhero - he's been done well many, many times before. Just not here, and and definitely not in Snyder’s hands.
This is exactly why people think Superman is boring.

Clark Kent is a good character. Pretty much everything related to the "Super" part of Superman is painfully dull.

Cipherr

oooooooooookay...

Mimosa97

What's that ?

Christopher Reeve was pretty good.

Dean Cain is by far the best live action superman. Lois & Clark pretty much nailed the character, but of course they had a lot more screen time to tell the story.

I think it's nostalgia speaking tbh.

And yeah Lois and Clark is the closest thing to what Superman should be but it's a TV show, not a movie.

Honestly no one ever got Superman right in a movie so I don't blame Snyder for failing.

Drew's been getting some shit from people saying he has an "agenda". Dude's been a Snyder defender forever (he fucking loved/loves Man of Steel), and it's sorta shitty seeing him get jammed by oversensitive fanboys.

Also, it's becoming very obvious who's watched the video in the OP and who's just jumping in without knowing what the fuck is going on. And I mean that on both sides of "fandom".

- J - D -

Well, good or bad, nothing's indicated that there's been any internal power struggle that would have BvS itself be chopped up by hands that aren't Snyder's or his team.

It wouldn't have surprised me if there were rumblings about BvS being edited in a manner to focus more on Batman.

But who knows, maybe it's already that as it is.

Patryn

Hey, I liked Man of Steel. I saw it multiple times in the theater, and I own it.

Is it the Superman film I wanted? No, not really.

I posted this because it's a possibly interesting bit of rumor-mongering and makes for good discussion.

Trust me, I would love nothing more than for Batman v Superman to be amazing.

Alienous

It's probably not going to be a movie that deserves to win awards but neither was The Avengers.

Even if the film was mediocre I don't see what that would change.

As for their DC movie slate that was ridiculous from the go. Cyborg solo movie in 2020? Why? For who? I don't even know if you can say they're rethinking the DC film slate, because it didn't seem like they were thinking about it the first time around.

Sulik2

Please, bring in Bruce Timm and George Miller to make Man of Steel 2 and Justice League if you want Superman done right.

This is exactly why people think Superman is boring.

Clark Kent is a good character. Pretty much everything related to the "Super" part of Superman is painfully dull.

Naw, like has been pointed out in this thread, supes has been done well in both the Donner film and the animated series.

I mean we live in a world where boring-as-fuck captain america is on his third film and his film version is pretty damn good and faithful to the comics. The problem with the DCU supes is that he's like a shitty Frank Miller version which already is kinda shitty really

BFIB

Its very hard to write Superman, much less, put him on the big screen. Reeves Superman is probably the best we've gotten (although I really like MoS), but that Superman doesn't fit well with today's Superheroes. You gotta have some level of conflict, and there's plenty there for Superman, its just that no one has written him well enough.

Give me a Superman/Brainiac movie anyday over a Zod/Lex Luthor villain.

EDIT: It also didn't help that Goyer took Nolan's Batmanverse, and pretty much used it as the canvas for MoS.

Good. I've always felt that we should have been receiving a dedicated Affleck Batman film before the start of the JL films.

I want to see a film that revolves around Affleck's Batman and Leto's Joker.

I agree. I was skeptical about Batfleck, but I watched Daredevil again recently, and while it definitely isn't the best movie, I could definitely echoes of Batman in Affleck's performance, and it wasn't bad at all. And since we can see from the BvS trailer that this is an experienced Batman, I would love to see something with the Jason Todd storyline as a kind of prequel movie. That and the Knightfall arc have always been powerful Batman storytelling.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Snyder gritty Superman is a fundamentally flawed concept. They're still taking the wrong message from the success of the Nolanverse.

Slayven

It's probably not going to be a movie that deserves to win awards but neither was The Avengers.

Even if the film was mediocre I don't see what that would change.

As for their DC movie slate that was ridiculous from the go. Cyborg solo movie in 2020? Why? For who? I don't even know if you can say they're rethinking the DC film slate, because it didn't seem like they were thinking about it the first time around.

I like Cyborg but him getting a movie before a Teen Titans joint will forever mystify me.

aerts1js

Well.. why would they put freakin Zach Synder in charge of all of this? The guy is the literal definition of all flash and no substance.

Ben Affleck on the other hand, he's a pretty decent actor and director.

Bit-Bit

Reading this thread, I feel like I've taken crazy pills. So much confirmation bias from people that ain't even seen the film yet....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom