• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Warner Brothers rethinking entire DC film slate based on Batman v Superman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futureman

is Superman meant to be unlikable in this film? That's the impression I got from any preview I saw. I'm guessing that is part of the problem... making one of the most beloved superheros an unhappy, stuffy pants jobber.

FartOfWar

Banned
Trailer was interesting enough when it seemed to explore Batman and Superman as antagonists. Then it tossed in aliens, Doomsday, Lex Luthor, Wonderwoman and I tuned out. Too much bloat. Like the Ultron movie it struck me as another attempt to please manbabies by dumping an entire toy box over their heads rather making a good movie.

Daft_Cat

I think Nolan and Goyer came up with the idea for MoS and WB bought it without question. Other than maybe bringing Zimmer on board he had nothing to do with it.

Yeah - that's right. He threw his weight behind Goyer's pitch, and then helped WB pick a director. He went with Snyder based off Watchmen, which is fair enough I suppose. Duncan Jones was another contender.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Goyer's original concept focused more heavily on Lois's POV as she sort of retraces Superman's steps across the globe for a story she's working on. Meanwhile, Clark travels from place to place (ala Bruce in Batman Begins) questioning his role as a hero and whether or not humanity is worth saving. Similar to what we got, but it's clear that some of that got diluted in the rewrites.

- J - D -

It must be a good thing that Avengers AoU didn't fare tremendously either critically or financially. One less sheer wall to climb on the way up to Star Wars VII.

is Superman meant to be unlikable in this film? That's the impression I got from any preview I saw. I'm guessing that is part of the problem... making one of the most beloved superheros an unhappy, stuffy pants jobber.

Its why I've always hated these stupid "VS" crossovers: be it comics or shit like AvP: you always have to make one side weaker/dumber/meaner than they'd normally be. The only time I've seen a VS pulled off well is Freddy vs Jason. It saddens me that 10+ years later that is still the case.

"jobber" is in the early lead for "most overused term of 2016," taking the title from "lore" in 2015.

What about "cringe?"

aeolist

Banned
everything i hear about this movie makes it sound like a godawful mess

my girlfriend has been demanding i go see it with her but i'm thinking about trying to back out at this point

They just had an hour long TV event reconfirming their plans for the DC properties including Justice League, they even got all their actors up to talk about the characters and how they are and so on. And now what two or three weeks later they're changing it all.

I don't buy it.

Ding ding ding. Common sense alert.

White, overweight, neck beard, labored breathing...his credentials are rock solid.

He makes some interesting points and his opinion is kind of a touch stone for anyone that has heard similar rumblings.

Busty

Banned
I'm not too worried. BvS will deliver. Not everyone will love it, but with a better script than MoS it has a chance to be really good, perhaps great.

Agreed. Given that WB are coming out of self confessed transitional year in 2015 that turned out worse than anyone could imagine I'm sure that they are worried about the first real test of their new DCU slate and the arguable the first true 'AAA', general audience franchise film that the studio has released since The LEGO Movie*.

* - Off the top of my head, it's late and I can't be bothered doing the research.

ryan299

I wouldn't be surprised if these are just internal worries. 2015 was dreadful for WB and the executives are on thin ice. A lot is banking on BvS hitting hard. Also there are rumors of a hostile takeover of WB.

The rule had been interpreted by some as a move by the board to help fend off takeover attempts at a time when rumors are swirling around the company. But Time Warner said the board’s move has no effect on limiting any shareholder’s right to nominate alternatives.

Investors can heap pressure on a company’s management by fielding nominations for alternative directors at annual meetings where board members stand for election or re-election. Time Warner faced the threat of such an attempt in 2005 when activist investor Carl Icahn targeted the company.

Time Warner shares are down 11% over the past 12 months, reflecting the broader market concerns about media stocks. Shares closed Tuesday at $70.52.

Ponn

Banned
Sooo..just like the animated DCU. Supes just can't catch a break. I really don't know why they don't just make live action films of the first couple JL episodes and then just copy scripts from some of the best episodes for sequels. They are making it harder than it needs to be.

The very idea of doing Batman v. Superman this early really bothers me.

The thing is, the Marvel Cinematic Universe had to slowly build and establish its universe and characters before doing its grand crossover with The Avengers. First an Iron Man movie, then a Hulk movie, then another Iron Man movie, then a Thor movie, then a Captain America movie, and THEN The Avengers.

But here in the DC Extended Universe, we've had one Superman movie, and now already we're getting this big crossover that just abruptly throws in Batman, Wonder Woman, Doomsday, etc into one singular film. This is something you'll supposed to build up to, not just throw everything in but the kitchen sink.

NotLiquid

While it's silly to think that the entire Justice League movie plans could shift this late when we're only 2 months away from shooting, I could honestly believe Warner being this reactionary simply on account of the entire reason BvS existing in this form being that Man of Steel didn't work the way they wanted in spite of the money it made. Rather than trying to work around the issues for the sequel it felt like they wanted to solve the issue by just throwing Batman into the mix. It's almost the exact opposite issue of the problem Marvel faced when making Iron Man 2 where it felt like they rushed out a sequel after the first one did so well, even though story-wise it just ended up feeling like a feature length trailer for The Avengers.

The thing is, the Marvel Cinematic Universe had to slowly build and establish its universe and characters before doing its grand crossover with The Avengers. First an Iron Man, then a Hulk movie, then another Iron Man move, then a Thor movie, then a Captain America movie, and THEN The Avengers.

But here in the DC Extended Universe, we've had one Superman movie, and now already we're getting this big crossover that just abruptly throws in Batman, Wonder Woman, Doomsday, etc into one singular film. This is something you'll supposed to build up to, not just throw everything in but the kitchen sink.

While I agree that Marvel had a far superior build up I don't think there's any preset rules to abide to when it comes to building a cinematic universe. Unless I'm mistaken that's the idea DC was originally planning on doing but it backfired heavily after Green Lantern failed, and then they moved all their chips onto Man of Steel as the starting point.

They could easily have gone with making a reverse formula by starting off with Justice League from the start and working their way to the individual movies afterwards, mostly because I feel like the common audience has less issues in needing to understand most of DC's characters. Superman and Batman are easily the most ingrained heroes of all time and I don't really think they need much explaining in order to work. That's why they have no qualms in throwing Batman into this sequel so willy nilly. The important part here is mostly churning out a good movie but it seems like for the most of the part, WB has been less than pleased with all of their big titles that aren't about Batman.

Futureman

I don't watch wrestling but that's pretty much how I know the term jobber... when my friends said it every other sentence like 5 years ago. I had no idea it was in vogue in 2016 ha.

Verendus

Banned
GAF is the only place I've seen the term and GAF has a disproportionate amount of pro wrestling fans. Most people grow out of it when they are kids.
Most people haven't grown out of Star Wars in forty years baby girl. Kids entertainment is what appeals to the average adult of today. And you better balee dat.

Dalek

Surprisingly the only two things in the movie that look bad to me are Affleck and Eisenberg, and this claims those are the two things people love. I'm in the minority though-everyone seems to like Ben Affleck all of a sudden.

Give me a break. Drew McWeeny is legit.

I know right? Drew is like the original movie scoop leaker on the Internet.

jackdoe

Not too much longer until we can confirm or deny these rumors. My prediction? The people with an absolute, deep rooted hatred of Man of Steel and Zack Snyder will hate the movie regardless of how the public and critics receive it.

The thing is, the Marvel Cinematic Universe had to slowly build and establish its universe and characters before doing its grand crossover with The Avengers. First an Iron Man, then a Hulk movie, then another Iron Man move, then a Thor movie, then a Captain America movie, and THEN The Avengers.

Well compare the situations. Superman and Batman, with Wonder Woman to a lesser extent are cultural icons unlike anything Marvel has (except Spider-Man and maybe Captain America).

Iron Man, Thor, and the like were relative unknowns.

Superman throwing Batman through a wall (after catching his kick), pushing him through a building, wrecking his car (and telling him his shit was over) makes him a jobber?

That word is quickly joining "bomb/bomba" in the "words some GAF members use and have no fucking clue how they work" list.

aeolist

Banned

The thing is, the Marvel Cinematic Universe had to slowly build and establish its universe and characters before doing its grand crossover with The Avengers. First an Iron Man movie, then a Hulk movie, then another Iron Man move, then a Thor movie, then a Captain America movie, and THEN The Avengers.

i think the bigger problem is that marvel had multiple movies ranging from ok to good, whereas man of steel was rotten garbage

Surprisingly the only two things in the movie that look bad to me are Affleck and Eisenberg, and this claims those are the two things people love. I'm in the minority though-everyone seems to like Ben Affleck all of a sudden.

It definitely hasn't been all of a sudden.

If you think people generally dislike Ben Affleck, you're probably only getting that opinion from people obsessed with how bad Daredevil or Gigli was or something. He's genuinely well received in most films he's a part of.

It definitely hasn't been all of a sudden.

If you think people generally dislike Ben Affleck, you're probably only getting that opinion from people obsessed with how bad Daredevil or Gigli was or something. He's genuinely well received in most films he's a part of.

yeah he's been on that whole redemption tip since gone baby gone in 07. nobody hates him anymore.

his career was BLEAK during the j-lo period though for sure.

zma1013

Yeah I agree, they seem too quick to jump on The Avengers train because they are scared it's going to leave the station but when they get there, they realize they've forgotten the ticket.

The idea of Batman vs Superman already seems difficult to write by default. Probably shouldn't rush these things just so it can be a 2 hour advertisement for Justice League.

That word is quickly joining "bomb/bomba" in the "words some GAF members use and have no fucking clue how they work" list.

Hah, that should actually be the name of the trophy.

"And the winner of 2016's Bomba Trophy is... JOBBER! "

(insert chain of quoted posts mangling the term in as nonsensical/unfunny a manner as possible)

Yeah I agree, they seem too quick to jump on The Avengers train because they are scared it's going to leave the station but when they get there, they realize they've forgotten the ticket.

The idea of Batman vs Superman already seems difficult to write by default. Probably shouldn't rush these things just so it can be a 2 hour advertisement for Justice League.

nope. i love this way of world building. suicide squad looks to do it right by kind of just throwing well established characters into the shit with a history.

just because this movie looks iffy doesn't mean the approach is wrong. we've been through like 12 marvel movies. now you want like 4 DC movies to lead to a teamup? lol no thanks. the approach is perfectly fine, whether the execution is good or not is a different story.

MartyStu

The thing is, the Marvel Cinematic Universe had to slowly build and establish its universe and characters before doing its grand crossover with The Avengers. First an Iron Man movie, then a Hulk movie, then another Iron Man move, then a Thor movie, then a Captain America movie, and THEN The Avengers.

I disagree.

If this movie fails, it will fail because the details of the writing are poor. The approach they are taking is very solid.

Both Batman and Superman are well enough understood to make this work in context of the obscene amounts of destruction from the first movie.

Handling Wonder Woman is a matter of approach. If she acts as a sort of mediator, then there is no issue with her. She can be mysterious until her movie gives us more context.

Doomsday is the only questionable thing here. And If he is tied into Zod as we think he is, then again, no issue.

If WB ever get to 'Death of Superman', the movie will benefit tremendously from not having Doomsday as the main antagonist.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
This all sounds like bullshit.
You think they'll care about reviews in any aspect? If BvS makes a couple of hundred millions of dollars, none of it matters.

i think the bigger problem is that marvel had multiple movies ranging from ok to good, whereas man of steel was rotten garbage

This is the biggest problem: Marvel had Iron Man, a great solid film which served as the foundation with which to built their franchise. None of the phase I films after it were better (some were far worse) but it remained the solid films which casual movie goers remembered when the next MCU film came out.

WB has what has to be the most polarizing comic film ever made, and instead of pulling backm they've decided to double down.

Agreed. Given that WB are coming out of self confessed transitional year in 2015 that turned out worse than anyone could imagine I'm sure that they are worried about the first real test of their new DCU slate and the arguable the first true 'AAA', general audience franchise film that the studio has released since The LEGO Movie*.

* - Off the top of my head, it's late and I can't be bothered doing the research.

It's certainly possible that WB execs are just unreasonably worried in light of their awful 2015 and that the final box office will meet or exceed expectations. We'll see.

Slayven

Superman throwing Batman through a wall (after catching his kick), pushing him through a building, wrecking his car (and telling him his shit was over) makes him a jobber?

and folks are not even using it right

Dalek

You think they'll care about reviews in any aspect? If BvS makes a couple of hundred millions of dollars, none of it matters.

Sure they do. This is the foundation for an entire franchise of films they are making-they want to build and earn customer trust. It's a brand of quality that they have to sell. If people are sour on Batman vs Superman-they're less likely be see Aquaman.

NotLiquid

Batman being in any way in this movie is pretty much because they did care about what the audience and critics had to say about Man of Steel. Rather than trying to steer the creative direction to levy the material better they're already so knee deep that they have the creative team doubling down on the crossover appeal really fast.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I think people are forgetting that DC Comics entire history revolves around radically reworking stuff on the fly, merging characters and universes together, and generally chaotically stumbling into awesome stuff.

Why should the films be any different?

I think people are forgetting that DC Comics entire history revolves around radically reworking stuff on the fly, merging characters and universes together, and generally chaotically stumbling into awesome stuff.

Why should the films be any different?

Crisis on Infinite Movie Screens

Even Wrasslegaf misuses jobber, what hope does the common man have?

You saying AJ Styles didn't look like a fucking jobber at the Royal Rumble?

Seriously. I'm thinking of all of the Batman/Superman interactions we've seen. Off the top of my head, I remember two times when we've seen Bats have some kind of upper hand: the punch he throws in the second trailer, and him catching Supes punch in this one. Everything else? All Clark.

Even in his fucking dreams, Bruce got caught by Clark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom