• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
superbank said:
Awesome! Thanks.
I´m here to please :D
CO_Andy said:
Take away the middle and you have a perfect nunchuk + remote combo.
If we get a transformable controller i'd like to see the cube controller revisited.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4Z2-MRfLO...k/42GB43nCT1s/s1600/gamecubecontrollerqf8.jpg
Yes, thats what i already suggested also. Left and right side detachable from the touch screen and functions like a Wii Remote/Nunchuck combo.
Discomurf said:
Nice work Disco, but theres no way they include a 6'' screen in each controller. Its 1 screen per console.

A.KU.MU said:
My final concept.

6-inch 4:3 touch screen with slide out controls.

Y13nR.gif
So the new controller is a PSP GO, that´s really shocking :D
Lupin the Wolf said:
I think the only way EVERY rumor can be true (6" touch screen, "no gimmicks," AND improved motion controls over Move) is the 3-piece separating pad where both sides merge with a touch screen.
This would be the solution that covers all bases, but don´t think Nintendo would go for that. Nintendo seem too stubborn some times, just look how they never use clickable thumbsticks. Or when presenting the GC controller developers sugested 2 trigers and 2 bumpers and they just threw that akward Z button.

Also maybe the touch screen is docked in the console for recharging.
Graphics Horse said:
I am sure the controllers will at least have the option of running without a backlight,
If the touch screen is self powered there wont be too much of consumption problems. Im in the camp that says its one screen included for each console, not for each controller.

I am sure the controllers will at least have the option of running without a backlight, which would be a huge power saver. A transflective LCD might be the most realistic.

[Nintex]

Graphics Horse said:
I am sure the controllers will at least have the option of running without a backlight, which would be a huge power saver. A transflective LCD might be the most realistic.
LED seems to be all the rage in LCD land, has some issues with backlight bleeding but it's bright as hell and power efficient.

Refreshment.01 said:
This would be the solution that covers all bases, but don´t think Nintendo would go for that. Nintendo seem too stubborn some times, just look how they never use clickable thumbsticks.

I agree completely. Nintendo's used some out-there designs for the Wii stuff (and to an extent, the GameCube), but that just seems a little "off" to me. Especially since even the "no gimmick" rumor seems to be contradicting the doubly sourced "6" screen" rumor. A screen on the controller counts as a gimmick, guys! I'm sure it'll be great and used to great effect, but seriously!

EDIT: [Nintex]: Does Sharp manufacture LED LCDs like that? I know Nintendo's been partnered with them for all their handheld screens, so it makes sense they'd be their go-to guys for a controller screen as well.

Woffls

Lupin the Wolf said:
I agree completely. Nintendo's used some out-there designs for the Wii stuff (and to an extent, the GameCube), but that just seems a little "off" to me. Especially since even the "no gimmick" rumor seems to be contradicting the doubly sourced "6" screen" rumor. A screen on the controller counts as a gimmick, guys! I'm sure it'll be great and used to great effect, but seriously!
The controller being modular would support this. Some people might have seen it with the screen attached, some might have just seen a standard controller, and some might even have seen a Wii remote plugged in there somehow!

And Nintendo have done rather well selling extra controllers with £5 games bundled in. Maybe they'll want to do that again?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm sure screen brightness will be controllable, but I'm not too worried about battery life if the thing doesn't have its own processing guts. If it's really a 6" screen, 16:9 or 4:3, then they'll have a lot of area for a BIG battery, which might handily compensate vs a normal controller. (Or at least offer 'enough' battery life that one doesn't worry about it so much)

[Nintex]

Lupin the Wolf said:

EDIT: [Nintex]: Does Sharp manufacture LED LCDs like that? I know Nintendo's been partnered with them for all their handheld screens, so it makes sense they'd be their go-to guys for a controller screen as well.
A quick google got me this:
http://www.sharpledlcd.com/4-inch_Displays.html

Woffls said:
The controller being modular would support this. Some people might have seen it with the screen attached, some might have just seen a standard controller, and some might even have seen a Wii remote plugged in there somehow!

And Nintendo have done rather well selling extra controllers with £5 games bundled in. Maybe they'll want to do that again?

I like the idea someone posted earlier of the controller being roughly like the 360 controller with the touch screen being locked into the bottom in the same fashion as the 360's keyboard/"chatpad." It seemed functional and I can envision myself utilizing it without much strain of the thumbs/hands.

EDIT: [Nintex]: Hmm. Yep, they're a candidate...although no 6-inch variety. (See [Nintex]'s browsing skills own mine below.)

[Nintex]

Lupin the Wolf said:
EDIT: [Nintex]: Hmm. Yep, they're a candidate...although no 6-inch variety. Hmmm. Food for thought.
Don't see the size you need?

Contact your Sharp Representative or Distributor for other size options plus new panels to be released soon.

Learn more >>
Sounds like Sharp can make those in all shapes and sizes

thefro

Refreshment.01 said:
This would be the solution that covers all bases, but don´t think Nintendo would go for that. Nintendo seem too stubborn some times, just look how they never use clickable thumbsticks. Or when presenting the GC controller developers sugested 2 trigers and 2 bumpers and they just threw that akward Z button.

Classic Controller Pro basically fixes everything on that front.

After you read about the development of that with Capcom for Monster Hunter Tri, I'm sure they're getting 3rd party feedback from at least Japanese devs they can trust on the controller.

Lupin the Wolf said:
There would be way to many screens if each controller supports one. Cost and practical issues suggeste to me otherwise.

Woffls said:
Yes, i think people are too centered in thinking every controller comes with a screen. I also think the highest possibility is that the screen can be attached to a controller.
thefro said:

After you read about the development of that with Capcom for Monster Hunter Tri, I'm sure they're getting 3rd party feedback from at least Japanese devs they can trust on the controller.
Classic controller pro is not something new or "innovative" tough.

As for the feedback, they always get it from third parties but they are not so inclined for suggestions. This is a good thing or a bad thing some times.

thefro said:

Didn't Yoshinori Ono (yeah, I know, he's not to be trusted) recently get a bit cagey when asked if the 3DS met his requests for improved "Street Fighter" controls?

That being said, I definitely hope they are dealing with Capcom and other 3rd parties with great care as it relates to the controller. Looking at the CC Pro, though, it seems they just want to ape the Dual Shock design (which isn't necessarily a bad thing!).

EDIT: Refreshment: You make a great point. What if the screen is optional, or sold separately?

Although, the main reason "Twilight Princess" didn't have GameCube controller support is that they wanted players to have to try (and get used to) the new control scheme. If the touch-screen comes optional, a lot of people would just not get it, and Nintendo would never be recognized for the potential effectiveness of the idea. Similar to the problem with GBA connectivity: people who never tried it (because they didn't buy all the hardware, or whatever) often knocked it as a stupid and fruitless idea.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
All those people doing tablet-like controller mock ups with all the buttons on the bottom, under the screen... do you know how heavy/uncomfortable that would be to play?

It's not balanced at all, far too top-heavy. Try playing Etch a Sketch without it on a table. It's probably more like NGP, if it's like that at all.

Does anyone think Nintendo will release 'options' for this rumored console? I understand with the economy being in the dumps, they would look for ways to cater to both. One example being probably a 'regular' controller versus a 6-inch screen on another controller...

Warrior_Keoni said:
Does anyone think Nintendo will release 'options' for this rumored console? I understand with the economy being in the dumps, they would look for ways to cater to both. One example being probably a 'regular' controller versus a 6-inch screen on another controller...

Selling the controller with or without an attached screen as an optional add-on, as Refreshment suggested, could work to meet this perceived need.

John Harker: Agreed. Or beneath, between the handles, like the 360 chatpad.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Jaruru said:
started very strongly too

are we expecting anything within this month? or right before the E3? . . . .. . . . . . . .

Nintendo is having an Investor Briefing on April 25th (next moday). That's when we expect a PR announcment to be released giving some brief details on the system's main draw, with a full unveiling at E3.

Warrior_Keoni said:
I would doubt it honestly. They don't seem to be on the whole multi sku bandwagon, at least not for launches anyway. Maybe some bundles though. I'm sure Nintendo will actually develop something that utilizes the screen(or whatever the controller is) and probably wouldn't be playable much without it. That what I assume at least.

Nintendo is pretty unpredictable at times though, so who knows.

Warrior_Keoni said:
This type of feature can´t be left as optional to have the necessary developer and user support.
Lupin the Wolf said:
Selling the controller with or without an attached screen as an optional add-on, as Refreshment suggested, could work to meet this perceived need.

John Harker: Agreed. Or beneath, between the handles, like the 360 chatpad.
To clarify i don't think the screen is optional, but one included per system. So every user of this console would have at least one screen. That can be attached to a controller.

MYE

EatChildren said:
You put a lot of work into it and it looks fine, but I'm going to be so upset if Nintendo have gone back to the 'pad' again over the seperated controllers.

Me too actually.
I did it that way because i dont really see how it could be done in two pieces without any weird system that snaps pieces together and whatnot.

But hey, they are better than me at this shit so yeah, here's hoping they nail this thing down with the Wiimot/nunchuck setup

thefro

Lupin the Wolf said:
That being said, I definitely hope they are dealing with Capcom and other 3rd parties with great care as it relates to the controller. Looking at the CC Pro, though, it seems they just want to ape the Dual Shock design (which isn't necessarily a bad thing!).

Here's the "Iwata Asks" in question:

http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/monsterhuntertri/vol1_page7.jsp

Iwata: Someone within Nintendo said, "What? You're going to ask the development staff of another company?" But since we were going to make a new controller so that people who had played Monster Hunter before could play comfortably, I thought we should at least get the seal of approval from the game developers.

Fujioka: To be honest, when we were first asked that, I thought, "Is it all right for us to decide?" We said what we thought would be a good spot for the analog sticks, and when it turned out just like that, I was surprised.

Tsujimoto: While we had been designing the game for the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, we had always been making it for compatibility with the original Classic Controller, too.

Fujioka: That's right. So even when it came to the Classic Controller Pro...

Iwata: It came naturally.

Fujioka: When we told you that game operation was somewhat awkward with the Classic Controller the way it was, and you eventually reflected that, we were truly grateful.

Iwata: It was a new experience for us, too.

Fujioka: We also had a great time as well, working it all out with Nintendo. When it comes to making a controller, you think in terms of millimeters— No, even smaller...

Iwata: I suppose we were obsessing over places even those one would find strange.

Fujioka: No, that kind of dedication really resonated with me. I got a glimpse into a world where simply changing one tiny element has a big impact on how something feels. It was a lot like how, when we make a game, we will slightly alter the placement of a certain element so that the game feels much better to play.

Iwata: That is what it means to be a true craftsman.

Fujioka: It was incredibly interesting. And when you hear the reaction of people who have actually used the Classic Controller Pro, it's extremely positive.

Iwata: Is that so? If the team in charge heard that, I'm sure they'd be pleased. (laughs)

A lot of people have mentioned that the controller would resemble the 3DS's bottom half.

I mentioned it briefly earlier in the thread, but, isn't it quite possible that the rumored "content streaming" could be a bonus for being a 3DS owner?

The idea: You can play your Wii2 games in 3D using a 3DS as the controller. The top screen will have streaming 3D gameplay video from the console, the bottom screen will equate to the content on the Wii2 controller's 6" touchscreen, and the 3DS analog pad/buttons would match those of the Wii2 controller (with a missing set of triggers and analog stick, I presume). It could be a whole new level of Remote Play....

Edit: Refreshment -- I thought that's what you meant. Optional on extra controllers, but you'll always have one with the system. Makes sense.

Woffls

I'm certain we won't see multiple SKU's. The controller will be where the differences are, for both the developers and consumers. If they're adamant about reaching out to 3rd parties and core gamers, then they need to have that option which is just a controller with no gimmicks attached. At the sight of anything other than a dual analogue controller with triggers and buttons, some people will just ignore it.

In the same way that some Wii games could be played without any motion control, I think Nintendo will give developers the option when looking at the screen and motion control. But, again, they will include it all in the box so as not to limit the market for any one control method. If you want multiplayer with 2 screens, then yeah, that's gonna' cost you extra, just like it did last time.

I think Nintendo know that holding a 6" screen in your hands is a bad idea when playing F-Zero. The rage quits would be deadly.

Lupin the Wolf said:
A lot of people have mentioned that the controller would resemble the 3DS's bottom half.

I mentioned it briefly earlier in the thread, but, isn't it quite possible that the rumored "content streaming" could be a bonus for being a 3DS owner?

The idea: You can play your Wii2 games in 3D using a 3DS as the controller. The top screen will have streaming 3D gameplay video from the console, the bottom screen will equate to the content on the Wii2 controller's 6" touchscreen, and the 3DS analog pad/buttons would match those of the Wii2 controller (with a missing set of triggers and analog stick, I presume). It could be a whole new level of Remote Play....

Edit: Refreshment -- I thought that's what you meant. Optional on extra controllers, but you'll always have one with the system. Makes sense.

It makes the most sense that the Wii2 will stream to the 3DS and the 3DS will display in 3D. I think Ono had mentioned that the 3DS would connect to a Nintendo console, but didn't say which one.

One thing to consider is the 6 inch screen might only exist as part of a half finished devkit right now, the final screen may be smaller than that, but somewhere in the 4-6 inch region.

thehillissilent said:
It makes the most sense that the Wii2 will stream to the 3DS and the 3DS will display in 3D. I think Ono had mentioned that the 3DS would connect to a Nintendo console, but didn't say which one.

While I wish I could confirm the report, unfortunately it was pretty poorly fact-checked through multiple media outlets. The original interview covered the 3DS, but that specific question only asked Ono if "any Capcom fighting game would ever connect or interact with a console version" (paraphrased). His response was basically to "wait for E3," I believe. I think it's safe to say he was probably referring to NGP-PS3, not 3DS-Wii2.

Lupin the Wolf said:
No problem man. Also, to get it out of the way, im limiting myself to talk about exactly what the rumors from the sources say and not run wild with speculation. That could have been done in any other thread.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
I'm more worried about their online system than the raw specs, to be honest.
Anyone going into E3 not expecting something very, very bad is setting themselves up for disappointment, unfortunately online is something Nintendo will never focus on.

Kenka

Graphics Horse said:
One thing to consider is the 6 inch screen might only exist as part of a half finished devkit right now, the final screen may be smaller than that, but somewhere in the 4-6 inch region.

Well, that is true. 6-inch display screens tend to hint at Kindle-like hardware though. Could be totally legit for all we know. The thing is : I don't get what direction Nintendo wants to give to this new console. We can end up with a case where all three manufacturers want to give their hardware distinctive features to try to chase the consumer and thus, lowering the chances for the editors to publish cross-plateform content.

If this occurs, the battle for signing third-parties will rage like never before.

Caramello

My many thoughts throughout today:

Not all of the rumours surrounding the successor to the Wii can be accurate and I suspect only one or two nuggets are the real deal, things like "developers have had dev kits for months" or "the system will be capable of displaying HD graphics."

Where is there no updated news? Why haven't news sites spoken to sources to clarify what is true and what is false? Why do different sources have differing opinions on the power of the hardware?

I really hope Nintendo clarifies what the hell is going on soon and doesn't leave the unveiling to E3.. When I say that, I mean that if this thing does have a display somewhere on the controller, that Nintendo will mention that at their Financial Briefing when they announce the console officially, not just say "we'll be showing our new console at E3." I don't want a full reveal, because I love the surprise of E3, but they need to sort out the fact from fiction a little bit.

Looking at the DS/Wii strategy, and comparing it to the 3DS, it is possible to see a shift. I think Nintendo going after the core market is absolutely true. To do that, they'll need a noticeable differential in power, a strong software line-up comprising of third party support in the form of both multiplats and exclusive content and also obviously strong first party content. They'll also need a much better online system than what they have now and Reggie expressed how he admired Microsoft in the way they had developed and established XBOX LIVE which certainly bodes well for an improvement, hopefully a big one.

The other thing is that people ARE willing to buy consoles at over $300. Nintendo have looked at the launch of the Wii, they priced the 3DS at $250 to ensure demand was met and also because they know that they'll be in the market with this device for 6 years or more. Wii sold hugely for two years at $250 but it's sales slowed very quickly after that (yes it's still selling above PS2 levels at the same point in each respective lifecycle but it's safer to sell steadily than having huge mountains and valleys). Nintendo launching at $349 would make sense because Nintendo don't want shortages, want to make money at launch, want to ensure they have adequate room to move on price, want to create the impression that this system is worth more than any other game system and finally because of inflation.

I personally expect Nintendo to be targeting a launch price of $349 with a healthy margin on that. So the hardware itself could cost Nintendo around $220, before considering the controller, cables, packaging etc which would bring it up to around $250 and give Nintendo around $65 profit off of every system sold (assuming a 10% retailer margin).

My question in relation to this is what could Nintendo put together for around $220 in terms of tech by late 2012?

The reason I ask is because I expect Microsoft and Sony to be looking at systems with around $400 worth of tech launching a year later which to me feels like what? A tripling of tech? Correct me if I'm wrong but if Moore's law alludes to a doubling of power every two years, then it'd be 1.5 times the power in 2013 but they'd be able to buy two times that because of the extra budget.

If that's right then Nintendo's next system could potentially be a PS2 to Microsoft and Sony's XBOX.

Anyway that's a lot to read through and I don't expect many to do that so if you've gotten to this point, thanks for your time :)

I am more than fine with 360-level graphics. Not that i'm expecting as big of a revolution as the wii, but I hope more of my money will be spent on new ways of playing and not a 300-350 dollar version of a console that plays the same types of things we have been playing for years with the same type of controller...just with better graphics.

I think its in good hands. They haven't let me down yet with any system.

Effect

Of all the rumors the screen on the controller is the one that doesn't make any sense to me. All the others could be possible but this one just doesn't and seems stupid. For several reasons. I can't see Nintendo going back to a single controller unit. At least not primarily. For all the need to come out with the classic controller pro I still feel the remote and nunchuck are the way to go. If it needs more buttons ala the PS3 Move that's fine. In fact I'd like several more to be honest. You can map the same controls but it feels more comfortable not having your hands cramp up due to holding one unit in a awkward fashion at times. Even with a single controller the screen doesn't make much sense. What would it's purpose actually be? Even the VMU on the Dreamcast didn't really do anything significant during gameplay from what I can recall. Why look down at a screen when you have more then enough room on a TV to display what you need?

The biggest thing is this. Controllers also get dropped a LOT. All controllers do and will continue to do so. Why put a screen on something that will get dropped or tossed around by all gamers of all ages?

Graphics Horse said:

Good point. Does anyone know if the screen on the old GBA devkit ever changed sizes compared to the final version?

2zxt6xf.jpg

Caramello said:
Where is there no updated news? Why haven't news sites spoken to sources to clarify what is true and what is false? Why do different sources have differing opinions on the power of the hardware?

I think the lack of updated news is due to it being the weekend.

Other people have suggested the flood of news is a (very un-Nintendo-like) "sanctioned leak" that has reached its limits, and no one else is willing to divulge beyond that.

The hardware is also probably not 100% finalized, and people's opinions will differ on things like graphics. Someone posted a great example earlier about two early Xbox 360 racing games that look drastically different in quality, and if that were the only game someone had seen, they would think it was either really powerful or not that powerful. It could be any of a number of reasons.

Effect said:
Of all the rumors the screen on the control is the one that doesn't make any sense to me. For several reason. I can't see Nintendo going back to a single controller unit. At least not primarily. For all the need to come out with the classic controller pro I still feel the remote and nunchuck are the way to go. If it needs more buttons ala the PS3 Move that's fine. In fact I'd like several more to be honest. You can map the same controls but it feels more comfortable not having your hands cramp up due to holding one unit in a ackward fashion at times. Even with a single controller the screen doesn't make much sense. What would it's purpose actually be? Even the VMU on the Dreamcast didn't really do anything significant during gameplay from what I can recall.

Controllers also get dropped a LOT. All controllers do and will continue to do so. Why put a screen on something that will get dropped or tossed around by all gamers of all ages?
I'm with you. At most, I see a small screen on the wiimote, but thats as far as I would see them taking it. They already meant for you to travel with the wiimote due to them letting you take your Mii creations where ever you are, so perhaps it will be an extension of that. Another feature could be the real draw of it all.

Lupin the Wolf said:
I think the only way EVERY rumor can be true (6" touch screen, "no gimmicks," AND improved motion controls over Move) is the 3-piece separating pad where both sides merge with a touch screen. No one will want the touch screen attached to the controller when they're swinging it around (at least, not a 6" diagonal one). A few people have done mock-ups of that design, but I really think that's the only way it's possible.

And because the design is so absurd, I have to assume that either A) there will be a second, "freestyle" controller setup available a la Wii Remote/Nunchuk, or B) The source about "Better than Move" controls was full of it, and the system simply supports Wii Remotes w/MotionPlus via Bluetooth. As someone else put it, "something's gotta give."

I've said it once this thread, but I don't see Nintendo going back to a traditional controller design after the Wii. I can't see them going the way of multiple controller types, either (when was the last time they bundled in two different types of controllers with a system, the NES?) I honestly see it more likely that we'll wear the screen (maybe on the arm via a Velcro cuff), with the body of the controls being more like a pair of nunchucks with optical sensors (something like a DS controller with the center area removed). Put slide pads in the center for analog control (with A, B, X, and Y buttons moved to the edges of the pad area within easy reach of the right thumb), and put the start, select, home, and D-pad on the screen housing and connect the screen and one of the nunchucks with a wire and you'll have a controller with all the suggested features and none of the awkwardness that a traditional controller brings into using "motion controls better than Move".

LayLa

really intrigued with the idea of a controller based touchscreen.
so many uses, but it could add context sensitive menus etc to gameplay, no more HUDs or map screens. eg. when you get in a car in GTA it turns into a satnav/radio tuner, when you are out walking it's your pager/mobile.

this also gets rid of one thing that annoys me about game design, the "whole world on hold" problem.
think of Fallout, when you use your Pipboy the world freezes.
but with a Pipboy in your hand the action in the game would be persistent, with Pipboy use having to be juggled with whats happening in the game world.
if this idea annoys you, think of what you're doing IRL when your mobile rings, or when you receive a text.

I'm think this might be a Dreamcast situation. The Wii2 will be more powerful than Xbox360/PS3. However, i expect a lot of up ports from 360/PS3. i think the controller itself might take up a chunk of hardware cost if the rumors are true.

At best, it could be in a PS2 situation, which would be the baseline for the Xbox720/PS4 and would allow uports to those systems.

As far as the controller, I think Nintendo new console will probably stream to the 3DS, which would allow for 3D.

Graphics Horse said:
That would be a critical oversight on their part because it could compromise the functuanality of the software created. Look the sort of problems the obscure GBA screen created because the ones developers used were brighter.
abstract alien said:
I am more than fine with 360-level graphics. .
Well you shouldn't and i dont understand how some people expect Nintendo´s new console to come with PS3/360 level graphics because it doesn´t make any sense.
Caramello said:
My many thoughts throughout today:

Not all of the rumours surrounding the successor to the Wii can be accurate and I suspect only one or two nuggets are the real deal, things like "developers have had dev kits for months" or "the system will be capable of displaying HD graphics."
The only interesting part of the rumor is the screen. The other ones are givens or nothing interesting at all.

About the pricing, its obvious they´ll brake away from its more traditional pricing structures. Iwata was talking about how they should´ve go hire with the Wii and now we saw this in practice with the 3DS.
Effect said:
Of all the rumors the screen on the controller is the one that doesn't make any sense to me.
The biggest thing is this. Controllers also get dropped a LOT. All controllers do and will continue to do so. Why put a screen on something that will get dropped or tossed around by all gamers of all ages?
Ok man, but the only part of the rumors worth debating is the screen. Also, and i´ll keep repeating myself, you have to consider that the screen might be included one per system basis. Not a screen for each controller.
LayLa said:
this also gets rid of one thing that annoys me about game design, the "whole world on hold" problem.
but with a Pipboy in your hand the action in the game would be persistent, with Pipboy use having to be juggled with whats happening in the game world.
if this idea annoys you, think of what you're doing IRL when your mobile rings, or when you receive a text.
Well, that´s more a design choice by the developer that can be adressed even with what we have today. Maybe not as elegant or "cool" like with a separate screen though.

1-D_FTW

thefro said:

Really puts things in perspective. I just have a hard time envisioning this huge tablet with sticks and buttons all over the place. Nintendo has actually shrunken things significantly in the last decade (which I would assume is too make them friendlier for the small hands on a child). So they're going to go FrankenBig? I have a hard time believing this. Also, what is Nintendo's biggest asset? Their back catalog. They're the Disney of gaming.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...mor-roundup-nintendo-39-s-new-hd-console.aspx

When some of his followers questioned the validity of the claims he responded, "No, I'm not trolling. Calm down. If it's on the site it's legit info we heard."

We checked the last update to the IGN story, and it echoed his comments about the game streaming to the controller, but did not mention the dual analog sticks or "Wii 2" games being at E3. We'll keep an eye out for further updates.

I'm really skeptical of the whole two analog sticks. In thinking about who Nintendo is, here's my prediction:

- Keeps the shape of the Wiimote.

- The A button is replaced by a fairly decent sized LCD screen that's 240*320 resolution.

- On the right hand side (on the top and bottom), they put triggers on top (so when orientated horizontally - it has triggers like the SNES pad.

- The two bottom buttons are replaced with a diamond configuration of 4 buttons - like the SNES pad

- The controller has a very basic CPU (Talking old school level and cheap).

- You can stream games from your Virtual Library into the controller RAM (maybe has writeable ROM that can sync back your save data to your system when finished).

- The Wiimote would basically then become a portable NES/SNES controller that could play NES/SNES/Genesis/TG-16 games on the go. A bigger GB Micro if you will (But with a massive library). Could also download original apps that were designed for touch screen play on this.

- The LCD screen obviously can provide some decent DS like functions in traditional console games the use the Nunchuk 2.0 and Wiimote 2.0.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the obvious: Biofeedback membrane on the back of the controller where your skin rests.

robor

Effect said:
Of all the rumors the screen on the controller is the one that doesn't make any sense to me. All the others could be possible but this one just doesn't and seems stupid. For several reasons. I can't see Nintendo going back to a single controller unit. At least not primarily. For all the need to come out with the classic controller pro I still feel the remote and nunchuck are the way to go. If it needs more buttons ala the PS3 Move that's fine. In fact I'd like several more to be honest. You can map the same controls but it feels more comfortable not having your hands cramp up due to holding one unit in a awkward fashion at times. Even with a single controller the screen doesn't make much sense. What would it's purpose actually be? Even the VMU on the Dreamcast didn't really do anything significant during gameplay from what I can recall. Why look down at a screen when you have more then enough room on a TV to display what you need?

Exactly. All those mock-ups above are cute and all, but they're incredibly silly functionally.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Mr_Brit said:
Anyone going into E3 not expecting something very, very bad is setting themselves up for disappointment, unfortunately online is something Nintendo will never focus on.

Nintend knows that their online offerings have been severly lacking. Iwata, Reggie, and Miyamoto have all stated that they are working on it.

Even looking at the 3DS now, we can tell the online system will at least be considerably better. Then we have Nintendo's May 3DS Update and, if rumors from trusted sources are to be believed on what it offers, I think it's safe to say Wii 2 will have at least a servicable (if not strong) online service.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm just going to assume if the 6" screen is true, it's nothing more than a third wireless part of the controller package.

Nunchuck + Remote + Tablet/Screen

Three means of interacting with the system.

Vinci

Danish
LayLa said:
really intrigued with the idea of a controller based touchscreen.
so many uses, but it could add context sensitive menus etc to gameplay, no more HUDs or map screens. eg. when you get in a car in GTA it turns into a satnav/radio tuner, when you are out walking it's your pager/mobile.

Games really should not simulate real life too extensively if they want to be accepted and purchased by a large audience. And yes, that would annoy me.

Sadist

Skiesofwonder said:
Nintend knows that their online offerings have been severly lacking. Iwata, Reggie, and Miyamoto have all stated that they are working on it.

Even looking at the 3DS now, we can tell the online system will at least be considerably better. Then we have Nintendo's May 3DS Update and, if rumors from trusted sources are to be believed on what it offers, I think it's safe to say Wii 2 will have at least a servicable (if not strong) online service.
Hmm?

EatChildren said:
I'm just going to assume if the 6" screen is true, it's nothing more than a third wireless part of the controller package.

Nunchuck + Remote + Tablet/Screen

Three means of interacting with the system.
It would be a second wireless part. You can make the nunchuck part slave of the remote part. The only thing it will need its own battery or power source.
Vinci said:
Games really should not simulate real life too extensively if they want to be accepted and purchased by a large audience. And yes, that would annoy me.
I don't think Layla is sugesting that, hes talking about presentation purposes. But for example, theres no reason Bethesda couldn´t have made the camera zoom in to the guys arm while you see the peepboy and close parts of the body and have the hability to move. At 1080 res text is clear. Its just a quick example that might not be as functional. Just saying this so people dont start jumping at me :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom