• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pocks said:
This is where the touchscreen part comes in handy. The tablet can also rest on your lap, and you can interact with it via touch controls. Regarding recalibrating, it depends on what the motion technology is. One source is saying that the motion tech is better than Move, so who knows what to expect in that department.

You can't do that in a group setting, unless you're playing turn based games like Risk.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Penny Arcade has a theory:

1256616644_qXJ4jSv-L.jpg

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
DECK'ARD said:
Nintendo, who are incredibly fussy about controls, are not going to push a device which will have lag. You are not going to get game-streaming, its lag will be worse than PS3/PSP Remote Play. You will still have scaling/compression/decompression and need hardware in the device to do it, adding even more to its cost.
If onlive can send game data at 720p across the internet to my house where it then gets sent through my wireless router to my laptop and still have games be playable then Nintendo streaming to a device in the same room is definitely possible. Uncompressed 1080p over wreless HDMI is possible with sub 1ms latency http://hothardware.com/Reviews/WHDI-Kits-Explored-Asus-Wicast-briteView-HDelight/ which makes it completely viable technically, even for HD, at sub HD resolution it would be even easier/cheaper.

ReyVGM said:
NEW Rumors:

Link

From Nintendo Life tweets posted at that Going Nintendo site.

I think the Wii2 will stream games to the 3DS so that they would appear in 3D and you could use the 3DS just as a controller as well. I hope the graphics capabilties is much better than current gen.

Woffls

"All we can say so far is: don’t believe everything you read online. Other than from us, of course. May hear solid details next week"
Referring to the Investors Conference, presumably.

(details are) significant enough that we can’t reveal what they are.
Could mean anything. Ignoring this one for now.

(console will be) a combination of everything you would expect from Nintendo and yet surprising at the same time.
We expect motion control, touch screen and good backwards compatibility. Nintendo are always surprising so, again, this is nothing new.

Nintendo has sold more handheld consoles than anyone. Why have a controller with a screen in? Why not use DS?
Sounds like they're implying that they've seen it, or are just putting forward the point that DS would make a good controller. But for what? It doesn't have enough inputs for traditional core games, so maybe just for Virtual Console streaming? That would be awesome, and controlling the OS from my DS from anywhere in my house? Switch N6 off remotely after playing Super Metroid remotely? Download it to internal/SD memory on 3DS and play on the go? Interesting indeed.

Nintendo is a Japanese company. Why would a secret project have a French name?
I'm not sure this is relevant. Revolution, Dolphin, Reality... using a French word instead of an English one isn't that big a leap. Especially one as ubiquitous as the word for coffee.

Oppo

DECK'ARD said:
The Wii's pointer added touch-functionality to a console in a clever outside-the-box thinking way. It worked beautifully. Along with all the other changes of the remote to make console gaming more accessible.

To follow this line of thought, I would hypothesize that while the Wii Remote added a kind of touch-at-a-distance functionality, it did not add multi-touch capabilities (ie more than one "finger"). I wonder if they will go in this direction now, to try to offer an analog for multi-touch functionality. It makes sense considering the amount of attention and money going in that direction, for game development.

For example think of things like how the pinch-zoom or two- and three-finger gestures work on iPad games. They need have a pointer in each hand I think, maybe two triggers?

(No comment on the weird controller screen, it's too vague to guess .)

onQ123

Wii 2 is 80% More Powerful than 360

has this been posted?

wii2_spec.jpg

Yesterday, the internet was abuzz with information regarding the Wii’s successor. Until Nintendo confirms it at E3 it’s all rumor and speculation, but the sheer quantity of corroborating stories from different sources to different publications at the same time lends credibility to the argument. One such recent piece of information was posted by 01net and translated by Destructoid: the Wii2 will probably have an ATI R700 series GPU.
Let’s compare the processors for a moment.

The R700 series GPU has a clock speed of 900MHz. PS3’s RSX clocks at 700MHz, and the 360’s sports 500Mhz. This puts the Wii 2’s graphics at, tentatively, 30% more powerful than the PS3 and 80% greater than the 360.
The architecture is said to be similar to the 360’s three-core CPU, further specs unknown. The Wii 2 is looking as if it could hold its own against Sony and Microsoft’s next consoles.

GDGF

Soothsayer
ReyVGM said:
NEW Rumors:

Link

From Nintendo Life tweets posted at that Going Nintendo site.

This just seems like somebody who wants to grow their site/twitter, so they're pretending to know something. They said absolutely nothing of worth.

Nintendo is a Japanese company. Why would a secret project have a French name?
I'm not sure this is relevant. Revolution, Dolphin, Reality... using a French word instead of an English one isn't that big a leap. Especially one as ubiquitous as the word for coffee.
And a project name that aligns the system with a certain feel in western markets, particularly Starbucks, etc. etc.

Could be BS, but it could be a window into the system.

poppabk said:
If onlive can send game data at 720p across the internet to my house where it then gets sent through my wireless router to my laptop and still have games be playable then Nintendo streaming to a device in the same room is definitely possible. Uncompressed 1080p over wreless HDMI is possible with sub 1ms latency http://hothardware.com/Reviews/WHDI-Kits-Explored-Asus-Wicast-briteView-HDelight/ which makes it completely viable technically, even for HD, at sub HD resolution it would be even easier/cheaper.
That´s what i´ve been talking to Deckard, he still not to much into the idea. Of course he does make some good points.

In an earlier post, i said if we assume the 6'' touch screen rumor as true, the only really innovative use for it would be to stream frame by frame the game both to the TV and touch screen. The screen would work as a direct control method, like you see in a game like Zelda:phantom Hour Glass, for the games that make sense to use such control method.
DECK'ARD said:
Nintendo won't tolerate *any* lag. You couldn't have a company more fussy about controls.
Yet they released the Wiiremote. Games that use the motion feel more lagy to the user and was one the main complaints early on with some Wii games.

And this is before you even consider *why* Nintendo would want to do this anyway, because there is no compelling reason to make the focus of your new HD console something like this. Most of this thread is pure fantasy with no consideration of the realworld or what Nintendo would have to gain.
People are just comenting on possible aplications for what the rumor suggests. The level headed posters don't take this rumor as a fact or at what Nintendo will surely do.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
poppabk said:

Nintendo won't tolerate *any* lag. You couldn't have a company more fussy about controls.

And not all the wireless HDMI stuff again, that one is vulnerable to Wi-Fi interference. And if you can go looking you can find another one that won't go through walls. Video display is critical, Nintendo are not going to dive in with non-standard immature technology that is problematic and not ideal for playing games. You know, the business they are in and very successful at.

You will still have to rescale, compress and decompress the video. This will not only add lag as well, but you will also have to have hardware in the controller/tablet to do it. So keep adding to the expense of that controller/extra, that has always been Nintendo's priority in the past to keep costs down and not make incredibly fragile.

And this is before you even consider *why* Nintendo would want to do this anyway, because there is no compelling reason to make the focus of your new HD console something like this. Most of this thread is pure fantasy with no consideration of the realworld or what Nintendo would have to gain.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Shiggy said:
The Wii Relax game concepts look exactly like what Ubisoft is now doing with Innergy.

relax2zk93.jpg

INNERGY_Screen2_1680x1050.jpg

This is also interesting...looks like Samus:
relax1xk7o.jpg

Thanks Shiggy, you always have informative posts. Mind me asking where you found the Wii Relax concepts from?

Vinci said:
Depends on what else it does.

Not really (at least for me). Screens on controllers are cool and all but honestly I think biometric technology will add to gaming more then anything that has been rumored for Wii 2 so far.

Vinci

Danish
So basically all we actually know is that Nintendo is likely to announce a new console soon, possibly next week, and has been spending a fortune in R&D for the last three to four years?

Awesome.

Cygnus X-1

Well, yeah: if the 6'' screen on the controller will be a 3D screen, this would be a big surprise. But I don't think it will be the case though. And for a simple reason: since the screen is a touch screen and since Iwata said at last E3 that a touch screen doesn't get along very well with a 3D screen, then: or either it's a touch screen or it's a 3D screen. It can't have both properties.

DECK'ARD said:
Most of this thread is pure fantasy with no consideration of the realworld or what Nintendo would have to gain.

Agreed, but I think it is important to note that Nintendo's next console will have to significantly evolve Wii, and also deal with a market crowded completely by ridiculous quantities of electronic devices (phones, xbox720s, apple consoles, ps4s, PCs, Ipads, etc.).

Iwata himself has stated that they're going after Apple as their main competitor. That statement is worth a thousand words, and the picture it paints changes every day and with every new piece of technology we see.

DECK'ARD said:

Wait, you're talking about the same company that introduced waggle in the first place? The lag in many Wii games is noticeable and many early titles especially had imprecise controls.

As to your reply to my previous post, I've made my case. Let's just agree to disagree and we'll see what it turns out to be.

Pocks

Cygnus X-1 said:
Well, yeah: if the 6'' screen on the controller will be a 3D screen, this would be a big surprise. But I don't think it will be the case though. And for a simple reason: since the screen is a touch screen and since Iwata said at last E3 that a touch screen doesn't get along very well with a 3D screen, then: or either it's a touch screen or it's a 3D screen. It can't have both properties.

Sharp, the same company that develops the 3DS screen, has developed a 3D touchscreen (April 2010).

DECK'ARD said:
Yet they released the Wiiremote. Games that use the motion feel more lagy to the user and was one the main complaints early on with some Wii games.

People are just comenting on possible aplications for what the rumor suggests. The level headed posters don't take this rumor as a fact or at what Nintendo will surely do.

1-D_FTW

Pocks said:
I don't think each controller will have a 6" touchscreen. I think one 6" tablet will be included with each system. The tablet will have a stand, and it's designed to sit on your coffee table. The camera will be on a swivel, so that it can be used for video chatting, AR, and possibly biometrics (retina/pupil). It has built in IR (or new motion sensing tech) that allows you to interact with it via the Wiimote.

Seamless inventory management, constant display of secondary information, and easy access to OS features would be strong points of the coffee-table tablet.

The biometrics portion is particularly interesting, especially if the tablet includes both a pulse oximeter and retinal / pupil detection.. Those are the exact two biometric features that Gabe @ Valve mentioned regarding the new generation of consoles.

Source

I also think there is a decent chance that the screen will be 3D. Iwata talked about including a 3D screen with the Gamecube, but it was cost prohibitive at the time. Perhaps this is the other surprise to be unveiled at E3.

Source

I like the enthusiasm, but no. You're going to need a coffee table? How would inventory management be seemless if you had to get up to use the touchscreen anytime you wanted to switch weapons? Biometrics aren't going to work if it doesn't have contact with your body. And autoscopic 3D from a distance wouldn't work. 3DS works because it's small and has a very small focus point (which conveniently works since it's a portable that has to be held.)

Woffls said:
What!? Are they really just doing a direct comparison of clock speeds? We don't even know which R700 to use!

I didn't care enough to check, but I would assume they're using the Brain Stew reasoning and saying only one card was technically R700. And just using the high clock rate of the chip to half-wit their way to a graphical chart.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just a question: Is anybody in here even remotely interested in what the vitality sensor can do? I have absolutely no interest in it and can't see how it would benefit gaming in the least.

miksar

Woffls said:
What!? Are they really just doing a direct comparison of clock speeds? We don't even know which R700 to use!
And that's even without considering that "R700" in Wii2 was a wild, baseless guess from a French site.

Plinko said:
Just a question: Is anybody in here even remotely interested in what the vitality sensor can do? I have absolutely no interest in it and can't see how it would benefit gaming in the least.
It has good applications and its worth of inclussion as a feature. But i don't think its the hook that Nintendo is gambling on to atract users or developers.
miksar said:
And that's even without considering that "R700" in Wii2 was a wild, baseless guess from a French site.
Yep, thats the least interesting thing to disscuss about at this stage.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Refreshment.01 said:
That´s what i´ve been talking to Deckard, he still not to much into the idea. Of course he does make some good points.

In an earlier post, i said if we assume the 6'' touch screen rumor as true, the only really innovative use for it would be to stream frame by frame the game both to the TV and touch screen. The screen would work as a direct control method, like you see in a game like Zelda:phantom Hour Glass, for the games that make sense to use such control method.

Can't be done to a level acceptable by Nintendo.

And the other thing is, the more screens you add the more impossible it becomes. So this one extra screen is just that. One screen. Not such a good selling point now is it for a multiplayer focused console.

That was nothing to do with wireless, but to do with how they were interpreting motion. You have to do the motion to register it, or predict the motion as early as possible. The lag came from that, not the data being sent and its delay which is minuscule compared to the data and lag involved with sending video wirelessly.

And disseminating what is possible from what isn't possible is the first thing you do with rumours. And then move on to what downsides it may have as well as the upsides, because the downsides will be as much a focus for Nintendo as the upsides which people on forums only tend to consider.

1-D_FTW

Plinko said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-valve-biometrics-blog-entry

Valve experimented with biometrics directly by introducing them into a special build of Left 4 Dead 2, with the developers surprised by just how much the game was changed just by sharing the data with other players - it added to the social experience.

"This was not something we were expecting and it's the sort of reason you like to invest in these kinds of research efforts is it's not only the things you expect it's the things that catch you by surprise," Newell says.

Valve took the various biometric data feeds and filtered them into what it called (no sniggering), the "arousal state". With the data beamed across to the other players, different behaviours began to emerge.

"When you were playing competitively we found that people were incredibly aggressive towards highly aroused players on the opposing team and were very defensive about highly aroused players on their own team," Newell explains.

In short, Valve had developed a system where sharing the players' feelings fundamentally altered how the game played out. The developers started to theorise on why this actually happened and came to some intriguing conclusions. While online gaming is a social experience of sorts, there are still many layers of anonymity to the experience: Newell likens it to the difference between email and chat. Sharing the biometric data took away some of that anonymity and changed the way that players interacted.

"This other thing is where you just have this bar on the side of your screen going up and down showing somebody else's arousal state actually seems to bring that sense of connection back, like your brain is flexible enough to actually internalise that as sort of a replacement for a bunch of the face-to-face cueing that we've lost," Newell says.

"So that's an example of something where we were completely caught by surprise as a side-effect of doing this biometric research... so we're going to do a lot more of that and we're sure that a lot of other people will discover a lot of other interesting things about it, but I think there's a lot of untapped opportunity in the biometrics space."

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
DECK'ARD said:

And not all the wireless HDMI stuff again, that one is vulnerable to Wi-Fi interference. And if you can go looking you can find another one that won't go through walls. Video display is critical, Nintendo are not going to dive in with non-standard immature technology that is problematic and not ideal for playing games. You know, the business they are in and very successful at.
Bluetooth is subject to interference as well, I know because my wii won't work with my wireless speakers. The Wiimote is also subject to interference from lights, even plain old sunlight and it used components that had trouble reading the required input correctly. Wii sports, the game that made the Wii succesful, had multiple issues with reading and interpreting input correctly. They also stuck with 480p, which means upscaling lag for an increasing number of people.
Onlive works over plain old wireless and they sell their box, including wireless controller for $100, sure it has latency, but it is playable. As for what Nintendo would use streaming for, I am not sure, but it is technically feasible. They could be streaming everything that ever appears on the screen, be it HUD, video, inventory etc, and the controller would just have the display tech and no actual computing power at all.

MisterHero

Vitet said:
Can you translate that graphic in TPS (aka trees per second)?
are the trees animate and talk, or are they only animate or only talk, or are they inanimate and do not talk

this is of utmost importance

Pocks

1-D_FTW said:
I like the enthusiasm, but no. You're going to need a coffee table? How would inventory management be seemless if you had to get up to use the touchscreen anytime you wanted to switch weapons? Biometrics aren't going to work if it doesn't have contact with your body. And autoscopic 3D from a distance wouldn't work. 3DS works because it's small and has a very small focus point (which conveniently works since it's a portable that has to be held.)

It doesn't have to do everything at once. While on the coffee table or in your lap, it can be used for seamless inventory management, constant display of secondary information, and easy access to OS features — accessed either through the Wii remote or touch, respectively. The 3D could be used while in your hands / lap for streaming 3D netflix, or for fun AR games.

I'm not saying that everything I suggested is going to come into fruition. I just think that the idea of having 6" touchscreen built into a traditional controller is unlikely, due to size, durability, and cost. I think a standalone tablet is much more likely.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
poppabk said:
Bluetooth is subject to interference as well, I know because my wii won't work with my wireless speakers. The Wiimote is also subject to interference from lights, even plain old sunlight and it used components that had trouble reading the required input correctly. Wii sports, the game that made the Wii succesful, had multiple issues with reading and interpreting input correctly. They also stuck with 480p, which means upscaling lag for an increasing number of people.
Onlive works over plain old wireless and they sell their box, including wireless controller for $100, sure it has latency, but it is playable. As for what Nintendo would use streaming for, I am not sure, but it is technically feasible. They could be streaming everything that ever appears on the screen, be it HUD, video, inventory etc, and the controller would just have the display tech and no actual computing power at all.

And what happens when you have a second controller with a screen?

It's just become twice as difficult. Then three times. And then four times. The resulting lag which would be bad initially, would by then become absolutely ridiculous.

So, Nintendo are going to give up on multiplayer for the sake of this alleged screen in your hands? Or carry on as before and have the television as the focus for the multiplayer, like consoles have been since the dawn of time.

Common sense says the latter.

poppabk said:

Don't forget the mess that was online Brawl. People are turning Nintendo into a straw man in regards to not embracing new technology (even if it has a few downsides), when their track record is much more varied.

Pocks

DECK'ARD said:
And what happens when you have a second controller with a screen?

It's just become twice as difficult. Then three times. And then four times. The resulting lag which would be bad initially, would by then become absolutely ridiculous.

So, Nintendo are going to give up on multiplayer for the sake of this alleged screen in your hands? Or carry on as before and have the television as the focus for the multiplayer, like consoles have been since the dawn of time.

Common sense says the latter.
This is exactly why a standalone tablet makes sense. If there is a 6" screen, it will be one tablet per system.

Woffls

Pocks said:
It doesn't have to do everything at once. While on the coffee table or in your lap, it can be used for seamless inventory management, constant display of secondary information, and easy access to OS features — accessed either through the Wii remote or touch, respectively.
This is exactly what I think it will be used for, and I even did a mock up with the RE inventory on the screen! Can't remember who suggested OS features first, but that's a great idea because we could browse the web, friends lists etc while still in the game. Not that useful for F-Zero, but if you're just sailing for the next 5 minutes, then maybe that's enough time to hop on Twitter and say "ugh, sailing to Dragon Roost Island again!".

As for the wireless streaming tech, I'm sure what they want to achieve is possible, but I just hope there's an option to use local Wifi so I can play in the garden :D

[edit] The tablet/screen will definitely be removable in some way, but I don't think they'd prevent us from buying more than one per system. The question is what they're telling developers. Can they use all 4 screens? How much bandwidth will they get for each one?

I hope we will learn some solid details next Tuesday from the Investors meeting. I hope that they might show real game footage unlike that Pre-rendered? Pokemon Battle stuff they did for the Wii.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Pocks said:
It doesn't have to do everything at once. While on the coffee table or in your lap, it can be used for seamless inventory management, constant display of secondary information, and easy access to OS features — accessed either through the Wii remote or touch, respectively. The 3D could be used while in your hands / lap for streaming 3D netflix, or for fun AR games.

I'm not saying that everything I suggested is going to come into fruition. I just think that the idea of having 6" touchscreen built into a traditional controller is unlikely, due to size, durability, and cost. I think a standalone tablet is much more likely.

If you want a standalone tablet, then you'd buy a standalone table. And you'd sell it as a standalone tablet. Not bundle it with a console, because it will cost loads to make and they are serving 2 completely different purposes.

It would be like Apple giving you an iPad with the AppleTV to control it with. It's madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom