• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Chinese Forum Xbox720 specs: 8CoreCPU,8GB,HD8800GPU,W8,640GBHDD

Karak

Because then it's no longer high definition.

And thus truth is written.

I hope Virtua Fighter 6 starts the baseline for 1080p 60fps.

How long has it been since we had a 1080p 60fps fighter?

Tekken 5 on PS3?

937271_20070727_screen002.jpg

Please PLEASE PLEASE
Be right.

Why would I stay out of these threads? I am looking forward to the next gen systems as is anyone else.

I just have FAR more realistic expectations the you and Reiko.

Do I think the launch games will look like Crysis 3 on ultra at 1080p? No... No not in a million years.

If you and others feel that's going to happen with the fidelity of crysis 3 with aa, af on ultra at 1080p then great, but it doesn't mean it's going to happen.

First off, I think we need to get the notion that 1080p is something super demanding nowadays, out of our heads.

We're putting 1080p on a pedestal solely because of our experience with current gen consoles, that are 7-8 years old. We're used to being shat on and disappointed because let's face it, 1080p resolution is out of reach for the 360 and PS3 for the vast majority of games, it's too demanding for the current systems.

But for closed box, optimized consoles with 2013 hardware? 1080p should be a walk in the park. Then we can talk about fidelity afterwards. I really don't see anything in Crysis 3 that just jumps out at me saying "No way will the Xbox 720/PS4 be able to run this".

ACH1LL3US

First off, I think we need to get the notion that 1080p is something super demanding nowadays, out of our heads.

We're putting 1080p on a pedestal solely because of our experience with current gen consoles, that are 7-8 years old. We're used to being shat on and disappointed because let's face it, 1080p resolution is out of reach for the 360 and PS3 for the vast majority of games, it's too demanding for the current systems.

But for closed box, optimized consoles with 2013 hardware? 1080p should be a walk in the park. Then we can talk about fidelity afterwards. I really don't see anything in Crysis 3 that just jumps out at me saying "No way will the Xbox 720/PS4 be able to run this".

I hope your right, I really do. I am trying not to get my hopes up here, clearly others feel differently.

ugoo18

First of all 1080p of current console games is doable yes

However 1080p of next gen games is the issue here, these are games built with much more going on and as is natural resolution is one of the first things to be sacrificed to achieve those goals.

EDIT: You have people like John Carmack fully expecting 720p and 30fps to continue next gen.

Reiko

Banned
I hope your right, I really do. I am trying not to get my hopes up here, clearly others feel differently.

Did you forget the jump in fidelity from Xbox 1 to Xbox 360?

We went from 5 games running in 720p on Xbox to a crapload on Xbox 360.

I enjoyed the occasional 480p game, but 720p was the "holy grail" back then on consoles.

However 1080p of next gen games is the issue here, these are games built with much more going on and as is natural resolution is one of the first things to be sacrificed to achieve those goals.

EDIT: You have people like John Carmack fully expecting 720p and 30fps to continue next gen.

1080p @ 30fps. Business as usual. We'll see more 720p 60fps games though.

I know John Carmack will still be targeting 60fps next gen.

It's doable on the PS3/360, but on what games? Wipeout? Rayman? These aren't demanding games by any stretch of the imagination. You won't see Halo 4, Uncharted, God of War, Gears, etc running at native 1080p.

I agree that games next gen will a shit ton more going on. I just believe that MS and Sony will pack some serious hardware in there to handle it. We'll see.

Edit: To be honest, I know there will still many games outputting in 720p next gen and at 30fps. Frankly I'm still ok with that. 720p looks perfectly on my 60" Aquos when I game, and 30fps is not a problem to me.

ugoo18

It's doable on the PS3/360, but on what games? Wipeout? Rayman? These aren't demanding games by any stretch of the imagination. You won't see Halo 4, Uncharted, God of War, Gears, etc running at native 1080p.

I agree that games next gen will a shit ton more going on. I just believe that MS and Sony will pack some serious hardware in there to handle it. We'll see.

Edit: To be honest, I know there will still many games outputting in 720p next gen and at 30fps. Frankly I'm still ok with that. 720p looks perfectly on my 60" Aquos when I game, and 30fps is not a problem to me.

They will have hardware to achieve what they want to achieve and once those ambitions start outstripping the hardware then resolution becomes one of the first things to get axed.

All those games you said could have been done at 1080p but would they have looked as good, probably not. That's what i mean when i say devs are more likely to go 720p + eye candy over 1080p.

nasos_333

And yet taken as the whole, Reach looked considerably better than 3; and 4 looks bettter than both IMO. Games are meant as optical illusion. Jacking off over texture detail under a microscope misses the point if other aspects of IQ aren't kept in balance. Halo 3's lighting effects were very nice, but other parts didn't receive the same level of devotion IMO. I suppose it all gets down to personal preference.

Some textures are not up there indeed, but overall the lighting makes up for it

Some Halo 4 pics, looks even better in motion

75474_zps3a402aa9.jpg

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz58/Ultixer/1280x-1_zps8973c710.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz58/Ultixer/525245_zps178383e8.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz58/Ultixer/3345345_zps4029bd90.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz58/Ultixer/5234524_zpsff6ec8e3.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz58/Ultixer/6464645_zps8b0520d1.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz58/Ultixer/53535346_zpsbb3c25a7.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz58/Ultixer/645674747_zps19ca4c83.jpg

Karak

No need to argue over resolution guys. Its going to be all over the board. What really matters is the fact that the extra power will allow devs flexibility to do things they were not able to do, create effects that were too costly before, and overall UP the resolution and effects of games.

That is...what an update to hardware in consoles allows.

As with all things true artistic ability can be output in ANY resolution.

No need to argue over resolution guys. Its going to be all over the board. What really matters is the fact that the extra power will allow devs flexibility to do things they were not able to do, create effects that were too costly before, and overall UP the resolution and effects of games.

That is...what an update to hardware in consoles allows.

As long as 720p is the bottom base line next gen, I am perfectly ok with that.

nasos_333

Frankly i dont see how games would not fall to 720p/30fps after some years, considering at some point they will have to rival PC card with 10x the power

We may see more 1080p games of course, but that will change as PC gets stronger and graphics more detailed

What could change, is this time have a true native 720p and maybe downsampled from some bigger resolution (below 1080p though) for extra AA without blurry image

That would be fine in my book, since no game rivals CGI at 720p and 720p CGI looks much better than any game, so resolution is the last priority imo

Reiko

Banned
Frankly i dont see how games would not fall to 720p/30fps after some years, considering at some point they will have to rival PC card with 10x the power

We may see more 1080p games of course, but that will change as PC gets stronger and graphics more detailed

What could change, is this time have a true native 720p and maybe downsampled from some bigger resolution (beow 1080p though) for extra AA

I just hope for more stable framerates.

Chaos Theory appeared at the end of the Xbox's life cycle while looking and running great.

Far Cry 3 and AC3 are here and look great while running terrible.

nasos_333

I just hope for more stable framerates.

Chaos Theory appeared at the end of the Xbox's life cycle while looking and running great.

Far Cry 3 and AC3 are here and look great while running terrible.

That too, 720p/30fps with native true 720p and stable 30fps with no tearing would be great for me

Karak

Halo 4 has to be the prettiest game I've seen disputed against. What are some of you smoking to think Halo 3 was anywhere near as impressive.

Each has strengths but frankly taking screenshots of games to point out bad points really no longer makes any effect on me. At least not as much as framerate and the overall artistic look of the game, texture talent and so forth.

I just feel happy we have games that look like that on old hardware. Truly. Both of them.

nasos_333

Whoever says Halo 4 is not one of the prettiest games ever is smoking crack.

Or hasnt played it, pictures look great, but in motion and in full scale is even more impressive

I put it up there with Gears 3 and GOW Ascension, which are two of my top looking ones

jmood88

I don't understand why some people aren't getting this. Everything is being held back because the consoles are so old. Even the most demanding game right now isn't reaching the full potential of what can be done because the base is 6 and 7 year old consoles.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

It's not too demanding. It's just not worth the compromises.

JohnDonut

Banned
599.99$ us Dollars.
This is easily close to $1000 worth of hardware in today dollars, no way. I upgraded my computer to have a better cpu (oc'd i5 3570k)and while my gpu is outdated (hd4890) even if I upgraded to a 670gtx like I want to, that would bring the 720 up to 2012 specs instead of something more reasonable and affordable like 2011 specs.

Got any screenshots that aren't downscaled to postage stamp size?

This is like those tiny gt5 gifs that look great, until I play it on my tv then it looks like a mess (despite being higher res than most console games 1280x1080 or something).
Small images are always way more flattering as they seem more dense detail wise and the awful lack of texture filtering, the jaggies and all the fuzzy blur and artifacts are hidden.
I havent played halo 4 (my xbox rroded a year ago), but I thought reach looked absolutely awful.

nasos_333

Got any screenshots that aren't downscaled to postage stamp size?

This is like those tiny gt5 gifs that look great, until I play it on my tv then it looks like a mess (despite being higher res than most console games 1280x1080 or something).
Small images are always way more flattering as they seem more dense detail wise and the awful lack of texture filtering, the jaggies and all the fuzzy blur and artifacts are hidden.
I havent played halo 4 (my xbox rroded a year ago), but I thought reach looked absolutely awful.

c8MRN.jpg

ibf2T95d7jrdk2.jpg

iwxUDeGaR8j9H.jpg

i0ZHCWWqbbT8l.jpg

inzap7VVu63v4.jpg

iboWWQt2234jpz.jpg

i6d4MkrzPScA8.jpg

Sure, Halo 4 looks leagues above Reach imo

Halo 4 is one of the few games that actually looks better in the bigger screenshots :)

and is hands down one of the most impressive games i have seen in my life

Halo 4 looks good for what is available on the consoles, but there's no way 99% of that shit isn't prebaked.
there's a bunch of baked goods in it, but that's what they had to do to make it look pretty on old ass hardware. Very nice looking game. My favorite halo so far.

nasos_333

Halo 4 looks good for what is available on the consoles, but there's no way 99% of that shit isn't prebaked.

What do you mean prebaked ?

Lighting can be prebaked and maybe some effects, but generally most of it is real time, like 99% i guess, especially since the lighting is very dynamic

I know it looks too good to be true, especially at that scale, resolution and crispness, but well, it is true :)

I dont know how they did it though, seems like a real miracle

I don't have a better word to describe "they're doing visual trickery in order to make it look like that, instead of rendering that with a lot of polygons and whatnot"

Let's not get carried away here. This is running on 8 year old hardware, with essentially a GPU equivalent of dual old ass GeForce 6800 Ultras.

It's incredible it looks this good.

nasos_333

I don't have a better word to describe "they're doing visual trickery in order to make it look like that, instead of rendering that with a lot of polygons and whatnot"

Like every single game developer in the industry does

The result is what counts and Halo 4 looks both very dynamic in every way and spectacular

I'm pretty sure everyone agrees with that. I don't understand how the matters, anyhow. As long as the game looks good, it's impressive. I honestly didn't notice any "trickery", but maybe that was because I wasn't actively looking for it.

Reiko

Banned

Every console game this gen has been doing visual trickery to hold 720p resolutions.

Only when more demanding engines started popping up these consoles have been choking and dropping resolution.

Man those shots look kinda blurry, I can only imagine them scaled to a 1080p set.

All games use "visual trickery". Kinda how it works.

the lighting in halo is precomputed on the gpu, you can read the lighting technique used in reach on bungies website and it's the same one, just a bit more evolved, the shaders and stuff have been improved and so forth. It's a really nice technique imo, better then the stuff crytek is trying to do.

nasos_333

the lighting in halo is precomputed on the gpu, you can read the lighting technique used in reach on bungies website and it's the same one, just a bit more evolved, the shaders and stuff have been improved and so forth. It's a really nice technique imo, better then the stuff crytek is trying to do.

Not all lights are precomputed, maybe you mean the Global Illumination method ?

Reiko

Banned

ibiU7vhg2G4bkk.gif

You sure about that?

JohnDonut

Banned
The entire notion of graphics rendered on a machine is visual trickery.
Well if this was a PC I could see those graphics being done "normally", whereas I know the 360 can't do those graphics normally so there's something going on behind the scenes. I wish someone made a writeup for it.

Top Bottom