• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: GBA games finally coming to the Nintendo eshop?

Effect

3DS eshop not a terrible failure after all?

Or perhaps things weren't going so well and there was such a drop off that they speed things up. Outside of pure nostliga reasons there really is no reason to buy GB or GBC games. Especially when the games you want aren't being released. Many of them do not hold up well unlike SNES games and that rare NES game. This trickle crap plan they have does not work.

Maybe it's just me but I've largely just been ignoring all VC releases after scanning the list and just checking out what seems interesting on the 3DS Download and DSiWare front. I have no interest in trying out some unknown game. If I didn't find it interesting enough back then to rent when I was trying to play every thing I don't see the point now. I want the Final Fantasy Legend games as I was only able to rent those as a kid. No way those are ever going to be released because that's on Square. I want to play the Mega Man games but that's on Capcom. Then there were a few Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle games that came out. Same with Dragon Warrior games and some Harvest Moon games. I think these were GBC games. This is the issue I had with the Wii VC after a while. Games I wanted to play that I was only able to rent when I was younger just weren't there and some still aren't. Though this might have changed since I just gave up on the service after a while.

Every single Game Boy game is either $3 or $4. Ooh wow, a difference of one dollar between the cheaper games and the premium games. Do you really think that's the best pricing strategy for them to employ?
Why are you trying to give them terrible ideas. Do you know how influential GAF is?

backlot

Every single Game Boy game is either $3 or $4. Ooh wow, a difference of one dollar between the cheaper games and the premium games. Do you really think that's the best pricing strategy for them to employ?

Do you really think the difference in quality is worth more than a $1 difference from game to game? If anything, Nintendo would use that excuse to charge even more for their first party games.

flak57

Bit harsh, but the GBA is rather a strange system in that the majority of it's library is ports... from Final Fantasy to all the Mario games... it's pretty insane that there were zero original mainline Mario games on the GBA. I guess people were pretty enamoured with the idea of SNES games on the go, but damn.

You guys were just going to let this madness slide? I feel like I made this post a few years ago to a similar crazy person, and no this isn't all the good original games. And there are a shit load from nintendo themselves in here too -

Boktai
Golden Sun
Golden Sun: Lost Age
Advance Wars
Advance Wars: black hole rising
Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem Sacred Stones
Wario Land 4
Minish Cap
Superstar Saga
Final Fantasy Tactics ADvance
Mega Man Battle Network games
Pokemon
Tactics Ogre Lodis
WarioWare
WarioWare Twisted
Astro Boy
Metroid Fusion
Castlevania Circle of the Moon
Ari of Sorrow
Spyro Eternal Night
MK Super Circuit
20 new SMB3 levels (e-reader)
6 new Yoshi's Island levels
6 new DKC3 levels (and new soundtrack)
Mario vs DK
Gekido
Kuru kuru kururin
Kururin paradise (one of the best games on the system)
Konami Racers
Sonic Advance
Kirby Amazing Mirror
Knightmare in Dreamland (may have been a remake never played it)
ninja 5-0
Mega Man Zero games
Sabre Wulf (I'm a rare fan though)
Mario Golf Advance
Pokemon Pinball
F-zero
Karnaaj Rally

Edit: I remember now I didn't mention Drill Dozer in my list years ago and someone got mad at me, so,

Drill Dozer

Oh, and never played harvest moon but a lot of people consider the gba friends of mineral town one of the best if not the best game in the series, and the sequel is also supposed to be great on the gba.

Having had multiple iterations of GBA ~10 years ago and still owning all of the games, I couldn't give two fucks about this. You can count the worthwhile GBA games on two or three hands, and even some of those won't be worth the extortion Nintendo will undoubtedly try and charge for them.

If this is all the new Nintendo Direct is about I'd prefer to know so I just skip over it.

Shining Soul II
Shining Force
Car Battler Joe
Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem Sacred Stones
Mega Man Zero
MEga Man Zero 2
Mega Man Zero 3
Mega Man & Bass
Super Mario Advance 1-4
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Zero Mission
Pokemon games
Mega Man Battle Network
Zelda: Link to the Past
Zelda: Minish Cap
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1/2
Donkey Kong Country 1-3
Golden Sun
Golden Sun 2
Boktai
Boktai 2
Mario & Luigi
Sonic Advance
Sonic Advance 2
Sonic Advance 3
Rayman Advance
Metal Slug Advance
Lunar Legend
Legacy of Goku 2
ChuChu Rocket
Bomberman Tournament
Gunstar Heroes
Warioware
Wario Land 4
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland
Final Fantasy I+II
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Advance Wars
Advance Wars 2
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II
Drilldozer
Super Robot Taisen Original Generation
Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 2
Castlevania: Circle of Moon
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Iridion 2
Klonoa
Klonoa 2
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, 3, 4, and Underground
Harvest Moon: Friends in Mineral Town
F-Zero
Tactics Ogre
Zone of Enders
Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night
Astro Boy
Riviera
Yggdra Union

Two or three hands? Right.

I still have nearly all the GBA games I want as hard copies (Which I prefer anyway) but I hope they do release them and actually do a good job of giving a nice selection for people since there are sooo many stupid bootlegs on the market.

NoA press release:

"We're happy to announce the arrival of Game Boy Advance games on the Nintendo eShop!

Download Super Mario Advance!"

Week 2

"New GBA game available! Army Men Advance!"

Week 3

"Backyard Baseball!"

I still have nearly all the GBA games I want as hard copies (Which I prefer anyway) but I hope they do release them and actually do a good job of giving a nice selection for people since there are sooo many stupid bootlegs on the market.

This. Outside of my Ambassador games, I have no interest in having GBA on VC when I have my second revision GBA SP and cart collection which I still enjoy adding to now and then.

backlot

It would be cool if they released a version of this that worked without the sun sensor. I don't know why they thought releasing a game you could only play under direct sunlight was a good idea. As if GBA screens weren't hard enough to see already.

Javier

Despite being an ambassador there are still so many GBA games I want to play.

Game & Watch Gallery 4 please Nintendo.

Katzii

Superstar Saga good? Only played Partners in Time. Either way I wouldn't get too excited... best to be pessimistic. Still find it hard to believe NoA putting up a GBA page was a mistake.

Best of the trilogy, easily, followed by Bowser's Inside Story. You've been missing out!

Maybe there will be GBA games on the shop this week. Like maybe Super Mario Kart GBA.

Probably won't happen as that was an Ambassador title.

Also, Super Mario Ball = Mario Pinball Land.

Definitely need more VC games. I seem to buy a lot of VC games as impulse buys. Every survey I fill out about the eShop where it asks what would make me visit again I make sure to put GBA and SNES games.

ohlawd

I better see the first two Golden Sun games up there someday. I've been meaning to jump into the series for a while now.

backlot

Never going to happen... You're next shot will be Mother 4, they won't go back and localize an over half decade old GBA game that they won't be able to get retail prices on.

I'd still pay retail for it. I'd still buy it even if they didn't translate it.

Tsunamo

Hoping this turns out to be true. So many GBA games I'd love to replay on my 3DS, and SuperStar Saga right off the bat would be great, never got the chance to play it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Its either that or Nintendo of Europe found a bunch of copies in the back room and are going to off load them on Club Nintendo for 8000 stars each.

ShinNL

Am I the only person who preferred Camelot's GBC Mario Golf/Tennis to their GBA sequels?
I never played Golf but I own both GBC and GBA version of Tennis. I prefer the GBC so much more that I ran some emulator on my Micro to play the GBC version instead (Micro doesn't run legacy carts, so I used a flashcart instead).

Edit: You guys should be ASHAMED that you're not listing Rhythm Tengoku in your lists. ASHAMED :mad:!

kami_sama

I already have my Golden Sun cartridges but having them both in my 3DS would be godly, as my DS phat has a very bad screen. And I'd love Mario and Luigi and Minish Cap to be on the eShop.

Whoa if it really happens it would be fantastic and about time! :D Nintendo please steal all the Megaman Battle Network games from Capcom and put them on the eShop!
...this won't happen right? :(

Bring me Superstar Saga, Zero Mission, Pokémon Pinball RS, Kuru Kuru Kururin, Gunstar Heroes and Ninja Five-O, and you can take my money, Nintendo.

Celegus

Zero Mission and Castlevania Anything please!! I missed out on a ton of GBA games, so this would be pretty sweet if true.

codhand

GameboyAdapter.jpg

Shining Soul II
Car Battler Joe
Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem Sacred Stones Ambassador game
Mega Man Zero
MEga Man Zero 2
Mega Man Zero 3
Mega Man & Bass
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Zero Mission (technically a remake, albeit an amazing one)
Pokemon games
Mega Man Battle Network
Zelda: Minish Cap
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1/2
Golden Sun
Golden Sun 2
Boktai
Boktai 2
(Solar Sensor?)
Mario & Luigi
Sonic Advance
Sonic Advance 2
Sonic Advance 3
Rayman Advance
Metal Slug Advance
Lunar Legend
Legacy of Goku 2
ChuChu Rocket
Bomberman Tournament
Gunstar Heroes
Warioware (you think they're likely to reprogram Twisted to use 3DS gyro?)
Wario Land 4
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Advance Wars
Advance Wars 2
Super Robot Taisen Original Generation
Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 2
Castlevania: Circle of Moon
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Iridion 2
Klonoa
Klonoa 2
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, 3, 4, and Underground
Harvest Moon: Friends in Mineral Town
F-Zero
Tactics Ogre
Zone of Enders
Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night
Astro Boy
Riviera
Yggdra Union

Two or three hands? Right.

I've removed games that are ports, remakes or inferior spin offs and I've been generous and left some questionable ones there. I could whittle this down further if I started asking myself which games still play well today and haven't been completely overshadowed by superior sequels or ports. Why would anyone want to play GBA Metal Slug when there are far superior MS games available? I personally prefer the Castlevania DS games too..

There is almost nothing in your list that I am prepared to pay more than $2 for to play again. I've moved on. I accept that people like their retro games and GBA games though.

I'd just much rather Nintendo was concentrating on new content than porting this old shit. I wish they'd left the cartridge port in so they couldn't get away with making us feel like they've released something exciting on the shop when they haven't.

edit: I'll drop this anyway, it's clear that most of your are excited about it and that's cool. I don't want to be a negative asshole shitting things up.

Top Bottom