• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: MS approach Valve for buyout $16b offer

Do you really think if MS wanted to buy Valve for that amount of money it would leak like that? Not to mention, these people clearly don't keep up with the latest gaming news lol

giphy.gif

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
We all know that if anyone qualified to run a gaming company, it's Microsoft.

A total joke of a gaming entity.

Likely fake. That valuation seems low, and MS went through a lot of after the ActiBlizz thing, don't think they can afford the inevitable regulatory scrutiny of a deal like this.
Almost certain this isn't true (or at least is unsourced speculation), but not sure the regulatory scrutiny would be the same... Valve isn't considered a major publisher (at least I don't think so) and there are numerous other game stores on PC so absolutely no monopoly concerns. No law that says Microsoft can't own a store... In fact, they already own one... Welcome to capitalism. Sony fans mad isn't a legit reason to block or hold up something like this. Would undoubtedly be a great move for Microsoft, and in line with their recent activity and intent to be a massive player in gaming. They would be able to say nothing changes except ownership, and even make moves to make Steam more widely available (on Xbox and Xcloud for example), could offer concessions like reduced commissions.

Worth it just for the meltdowns IMO. Sadly I think it's someone trolling though :messenger_tears_of_joy: Oh god, we're going to have another acquisition thread aren't we...

Kazdane

Gold Member
Huh, the source for all this is... a tweet? For real?
Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I'm not saying this couldn't happen at some point in the future, but I'd expect something with more credibility, tbh (and I'd also expect Valve to tell Microsoft to kindly get lost).

ungalo

just imagine how funny and outraging it would be at the same time, MS single handedly defeating the concept of video game as a whole

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Almost certain this isn't true (or at least is unsourced speculation), but not sure the regulatory scrutiny would be the same... Valve isn't considered a major publisher (at least I don't think so) and there are numerous other game stores on PC so absolutely no monopoly concerns. No law that says Microsoft can't own a store... In fact, they already own one... Welcome to capitalism. Sony fans mad isn't a legit reason to block or hold up something like this. Would undoubtedly be a great move for Microsoft, and in line with their recent activity and intent to be a massive player in gaming. They would be able to say nothing changes except ownership, and even make moves to make Steam more widely available (on Xbox and Xcloud for example), could offer concessions like reduced commissions.

Worth it just for the meltdowns IMO. Sadly I think it's someone trolling though :messenger_tears_of_joy: Oh god, we're going to have another acquisition thread aren't we...
Valve themselves are already under scrutiny by the EU and countries due to the large share of the PC market they have.

If MS came along, with its large share of the OS market and a major console brand, all right after acquiring one of the biggest companies in gaming, i'm sure regulatory institutions would be veeeeery interested.

Last edited:

Holammer

Others already suggested it's a twitch streamer farming attention.
But consider this, MS skims 30% fat off basically all PC sales, they make an estimated 650 million dollars on Counterstrike cases alone in a year. 16B would be an insult.

Also, the sale would be blocked everywhere because MS already owns similar stores and acquired Activision-Blizzard only recently.

Crayon

Yeah, no.

If it ever happened though, it would be probably the biggest tragedy in gaming history. MS buying Nintendo would be very bad, too.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Don't know what's funnier, if some rando with a Squirtle pfp making up fake news, or some of you taking those seriously.

What's next, a thread to discuss some post made on 4chan?

Sintoid

They make shittons of money with cloud services so they can buy whatever they want.
And no regulator seems to fuck a shit

Top Bottom