• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: MS approach Valve for buyout $16b offer

Mokus

Hard to believe. Valve is one of the healthiest businesses out there. It should be more valuable than Activision Blizzard who probably still has overstaffed studios even after recent job cuts.

Hugare

Gaben is one of us. And he is filthy rich.

MS would be probably laughed at just like they were with Nintendo

Gabe havent probably cared about money for a loong time now

Imagine MS owning Steam....

Jerry Seinfeld GIF

Fake news.

Some of these Twitter insiders are desperate for engagement. That's all this is.

How does that kill the rumor? Not saying I believe it, but how does that random Harris guy have any more credibility than this Dior dude?

The rumor is BS if you put any thought into it.

Microsoft just bought Zenimax a couple years ago. Just completed (more or less) the ABK acquisition late last year. Have already fired over 2K people across Zenimax and ABK, including closing down studios like Tango Gameworks. They are being immensely pressured to increase profitability margins.

...in what sense does buying Valve help whatsoever with their goodwill/optics among the industry or help increase profits after already sinking $80+ billion into other gaming acquisitions that have yet to make returns?

This isn't even getting into the blatant monopolistic aspects of that purchase. Valve control at least 80% (or more) of the PC gaming space in terms of storefronts. Microsoft owns the #1 PC OS in the world with a > 70%/80% market share. What sensible regulator is going to let them buy their way to the #1 PC gaming storefront after already buying two of the largest 3P publishers and firing thousands of people afterwards AND closing down multiple studios after those deals were finalized?

At some point the regulators would be asking for investigations to be opened up on themselves if they kept approving blatantly terrible M&As that do nothing but consolidate the market at the expense of the market, its customers, and its fans.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Why would you say that? Hard to lock down exact numbers, but if they have revenue of 12-15 billion, and net profit was 2 billion a year, 16 billion would be an overpay. (Based on traditional valuations of 5 times net profit)
Professional evaluations had valve at a value of 8-10 billion.
Activision net profits are about 2 billion.

But public company valuations are particularly idiotic.

T4keD0wN

70bil for ABK, but only 16 for Valve? Dude who made up this nonsense is missing a bunch of zeros and/or braincells.
Yeah Right Whatever GIF by Bounce

Last edited:

midnightAI

How does that kill the rumor? Not saying I believe it, but how does that random Harris guy have any more credibility than this Dior dude?
Yeh, exactly, now I don't think the rumour is true either, but they don't know either, they even admit as much in their tweets other than it's common sense.

demigod

Quoting Linnemann - gonna remove his post to avoid giving x revenue whereas he’s going to remove it because he’s a twat for falling for it more like.
No i mean what exactly did he post that was deleted? Was it just a retweet or did he actually say something?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Reminds me of microsoft wanting to buy nintendo. And them laughing their asses off.
This is not a hoax fyi

Last edited:

Just seen on my feeds

Edit: I saw this reposted by someone (linneman?) who reposted/retweeted it - which I thought lent some form of legitimacy. The value seems very low, Gaben is known to have said "no fuckin way" in the past etc etc.

OH NO!!!!!

Microsoft want to destroy VALVE!!!!

I wonder what’s the pitch this time. Just give me the email conversation
To: Team Xbox

Hey gang,

So contrary to my popular belief, it's not Nintendo's future that exists off their own hardware, it turns out that it is ours. Whoopsie!

So now that we have completely screwed the pooch with our own console ecosystem, let's see if we can completely upend another ecosystem by acquiring Valve. It would be a career moment.....wait I'm getting Deja vu.

Anyways, we have money, and with the ABK acquisition we hoodwinked all the regulators into thinking waving around our dic... I mean wallets is great for the industry, so why not see if we can go two for two with Gabe? It's taking him a long time to realize that their future exists beyond their own ecosystem....ok there's that deja vu again.

Always sincerely,

Smilin' Phil

To: Team Xbox

Hey gang,

So contrary to my popular belief, it's not Nintendo's future that exists off their own hardware, it turns out that it is ours. Whoopsie!

So now that we have completely screwed the pooch with our own console ecosystem, let's see if we can completely upend another ecosystem by acquiring Valve. It would be a career moment.....wait I'm getting Deja vu.

Anyways, we have money, and with the ABK acquisition we hoodwinked all the regulators into thinking waving around our dic... I mean wallets is great for the industry, so why not see if we can go two for two with Gabe? It's taking him a long time to realize that their future exists beyond their own ecosystem....ok there's that deja vu again.

Always sincerely,

Shit eatin', smarmy, lyin' phil
fixed it for you

Neo_game

Too late, never understood why they din't they consider this before or instead of ABK. If they want control of PC gamers which is a huge market they should have gone after Steam long time back instead of trying their own store.

Top Bottom