• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: MS approach Valve for buyout $16b offer

wQQyFBq.gif

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The meltdown over this would be hilarious. Even if MS changed absolutely nothing, pc world is suddenly "destroyed" and people running around not knowing what to do after investing everything into a massive steam library. Eventually the narrative would shift to it's "ok" as most would not actually be willing to walk away. Average Joe (people not on this board) probably wouldn't even notice valve was sold.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
If this ever happened it would signify the end of the gaming industry for me. The crash would then just be expedited and I would stick to retro gaming only.

The only person who wins in this scenario would be the money men.

THE DUCK

Galaxy-sized emphasis on the word, "if". Considering how incompetent Microsoft is in gaming, MS changing nothing is very improbable.

Actually if you look at thier recent gaming acquisition history, (Mojang, ninja theory, playground, bethesda, activision), for the most part, they seem to leave things as is.

Actually if you look at thier recent gaming acquisition history, (Mojang, ninja theory, playground, bethesda, activision), for the most part, they seem to leave things as is.
Yeah, leaving things as it is in an incompetent manner with the only exception being Mojang.

I swear this hasn't been the first time MS has potentially made an offer for Valve. Could this just be them kicking the tires to get some traction going down the road for a potential sale?

$16 Billion is too small of an offer for Steam. If ABK was worth $70 Billion I believe Steam would be worth much more.

This rumor doesn't check out.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Absolutely no source.

That said, I predict that Microsoft will buy out Discord in the next 5 years and render it a corpse like they did with Skype.
NO joke. When I heard MS bought Skype, I deleted my account. I found discord some time after. They ever buy Discord? I am following suit with an account closure.

Astray

Are people really believing this?

Valve doesnt even have stocks like the OP claims
1) Valve does have stocks, they're just private for now and can't be bought and sold on the public stock market. But if you have the money you can go and ask Gabe how much he wants to sell his company.

2) He's saying that a proposed deal would not involve Microsoft giving Gabe and the Valve shareholders any of its stock.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Yeah... Hopefully made up.

I'd argue that a valve take over by MS is far more in need of being blocked by regulators than Acti ever was.
You had an valid point of MS being left out of important releases due to PS abusing exclusivity deals, you have literally no point here in this case.

Gp1

1. 16 bi for the control of 80/85% of the entire pc gaming distribution? Peanuts

2. This probably is the worst decisions that could ever happened in the entire gaming industry.

THE DUCK

Pfft. $16 billion. They offered Activision $70+ billion.

Valve is honestly worth way more lol.

Why would you say that? Hard to lock down exact numbers, but if they have revenue of 12-15 billion, and net profit was 2 billion a year, 16 billion would be an overpay. (Based on traditional valuations of 5 times net profit)
Professional evaluations had valve at a value of 8-10 billion.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I would have thought that Valve is worth way more than 16 billion solely because they are the de facto storefront for PC gaming and it's not even close.

midnightAI

Lmao @ ponies begging for this to be true

starship-troopers-paul-verhoeven.gif
1, I don't think anyone believes this is true, especially with the figures mentioned
2, if this was true (it's not) then it's potentially way more damaging to PC gamers so it's them who should be afraid
3, it's also potentially damaging to PlayStation simply because it strengthens their rival do PlayStation won't want this to happen either

... 4, Don't use Starship Troopers in your console war bait you heathen

Top Bottom