• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: MS approach Valve for buyout $16b offer

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Well that would suck.
On the upside the meltdowns would be legendary.
As would MS having to convince regulators again and having Phil or Satya go whine that trillion dollar MS just can't create a competitive storefront... on their own fucking operating system.

Didn't they already prove that they can't create it? What does it have like 2% of the pc marketshare?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Certainly fake news.
And not a single regulator would allow this.

Microsoft won’t even attempt this. Looks like all their acquisition focus these days is targeted at AI, and they’re already getting attention from the EU and the CMA over those.

Why wouldn't they allow it? MS doesn't have any sort of dominant market share of the pc space. (Or the console one for that matter)

AmuroChan

It this was legit, all the mainstream outlets would report on it because they would have corroborating sources. When it was reported a few weeks ago that Sony/Apollo offered $26B to buy Paramount, that didn't come from rando Twitter user. That reporting came from mainstream outlets.

Everyone wants what Valve has.

$16bn is a low-ball offer. But there’s only one man who has to say yes (price should be 5x more, IMO, because of the IPs in addition to the platform).

nani17

are in a big trouble
sitepandawhalecom GIF

begotten

I can't believe people looked at that number and thought there was any legitimacy.

If you could buy IP that wouldn't even be the starting point for taking Counter Strike off them, let alone buying everything and STEAM.

Sanepar

Certainly fake news.

Microsoft won’t even attempt this. Looks like all their acquisition focus these days is targeted at AI, and they’re already getting attention from the EU and the CMA over those.
Regulators are corrupted and would allow anything since they are paid. this is a capitalist world. money talks.

proandrad

Certainly fake news.

Telecommunications only get blocked because boomers use their services. The only time boomers would try to regulate anything in gaming is for censorship.

MiguelItUp

Xbox fanboys don't care. They pretend to be upset for like 5 minutes, then go back to sucking Big Daddy Phil.
Fanboys of all forms are ridiculous IMO. The reality is this just sounds like another one of those run of the mill "random source" things that spread like wildfire for whatever reason. But in a few days it'll be brushed off and disregarded much like they always are, regardless if they've been "officially" debunked or not.

Kssio_Aug

I clearly don't hate Microsoft as most people here (in fact, I support a good number of their products). But I don't want them to ever buy Steam.

I hope it never happens.

GHound

Gold Member
If Microsoft ever bought Valve (or Nintendo) there would be a group of idiots partying so hard you could see it from the ISS like you were at home celebrating yourself.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Fanboys of all forms are ridiculous IMO. The reality is this just sounds like another one of those run of the mill "random source" things that spread like wildfire for whatever reason. But in a few days it'll be brushed off and disregarded much like they always are, regardless if they've been "officially" debunked or not.

This is true. Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo etc all have their rabid fanboys.

Phil Spencer on the other hand is another level. The man is a cult figure who has his own set of radical fanboys. It's like a religion and he's the equivalent of the Pope.

If Phil got up on stage at an Xbox event, pulled down his pants and shouted "WHO WANTS A LICK" I'd bet my life-savings that hundreds of Phil fanboys would be killing eachother to get a taste of what Spencer is made of.

You didn't get that with Jim Ryan, Doug Bowser or even Don Mattrick.

Not surprised that Microsoft would make this move, it was inevitable. Just makes too much sense for them. I made a whole tread about it a few month ago. Even if this particular rumor isn’t true they will still make a move for Steam at some point.
But I still hope it doesn’t happen, Steam won’t be Steam once Microsoft owns it.

phil spencer quote from a polygon interview earlier this year at the GDC

Phil Spencer wants Epic Games Store and others on Xbox consoles​

To grow the console market, Xbox will need to be more like PC

https://www.polygon.com/24108670/xbox-epic-games-store-phil-spencer-interview

That doesn't mean buying them, though. The entire grounds of this rumor are fanboy hopium and wishful thinking.

Not surprised that Microsoft would make this move, it was inevitable. Just makes too much sense for them. I made a whole tread about it a few month ago. Even if this particular rumor isn’t true they will still make a move for Steam at some point.
But I still hope it doesn’t happen, Steam won’t be Steam once Microsoft owns it.

You've no reason to worry because they are never buying Steam, unless Steam's market share collapses from a series of catastrophic business decisions.

Otherwise regulators won't allow it, especially those like the FTC. I mean what net good has come from MS buying Zenimax and ABK at current? What's been the benefit for Ninja Theory for that matter?

No gamer wants Microsoft buying yet another massive part of the industry just to puff up growth numbers for greedy investors & shareholders. The industry will eventually die. Microsoft should focus on producing consistent, real results with the assets they've already acquired vs. rushing in to buy yet another massive gaming entity.

So you're presuming that MS would fuck it all up.

Where's Tango?

Red5

It all falls down to Gabe saying yes or no, Valve is wholly his, privately owned, no board or stock holders. But knowing Gabe and his views on open source tech, the amount of money they invested in building Proton and gaming on Linux with the Steamdeck, it would be absurd to assume that Valve would sell to their antithesis.

It all falls down to Gabe saying yes or no, Valve is wholly his, privately owned, no board or stock holders. But knowing Gabe and his views on open source tech, the amount of money they invested in building Proton and gaming on Linux with the Steamdeck, it would be absurd to assume that Valve would sell to their antithesis.
His divorce might change things.

Mowcno

I can't believe people looked at that number and thought there was any legitimacy.

If you could buy IP that wouldn't even be the starting point for taking Counter Strike off them, let alone buying everything and STEAM.
The counterstrike IP is not worth more than $16 Billion lmao.

Neilg

Gabe is already worth 5bn, a completely abstract sun of money that will never run out. He's got no real motivation to turn 5 into 20 and it's not like he thinks it'll end up in good hands.

I believe MS made the offer, I don't believe it'll happen

Laptop1991

Don't believe this for a second, MS have just laid off people and shut down studios, why would they spend another 16B and why would STEAM sell, this is fake for me

Holammer

Oh yes. I had no idea.

Ya'll will have to share a list of the best ones
That's for another thread, but here's a quickie. I don't own many, but picked this one up based on the mysterious ways of the YT algorithm.
The electro swing funk (I guess?) OST really slaps and it's an above average pixel art metroidvania. Almost a shame there's a sex component in the game and not just some PG12 titillation, it would have reached a larger audience & consoles.

Yes, it's one of these games. The composer is an anonymous person called 'MomoJams'.

burning_piano.jpg

Iced Arcade

I don't think this is anything more than a rumor that pops up every year... but MS would drop consoles so fast.

would line up with the chatter like - xbox handheld, allowing steam on xbox, licensing out console to other manufacturers

Top Bottom