• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOUR] PS4 beta firmware 2.50 allows DualShock 4 button remapping

Pretty cool. Now it just needs some way to have per-game mappings that load up whenever you enter a specific game.

Would be really cool if they could link it to your save file, or you could name your settings so it's an easy swap. But I think that's a little too hopeful. Sony like to take things slow.

Holy shit, always see people wanting this, great addition.

I might use it too for some of my imported Japanese games as others have mentioned. :)

Occam

Fantastic! O for confirming and X for cancelling like in Asia makes so much more sense. I've been hoping for this for years.

It was a mistake that Sony switched X and O in the west.

Skux

This is also great for people with disabilities who might have trouble pressing or reaching particular buttons.

What would make this amazing, is if you could have a custom profile for each particular game.

LiK

This is also great for people with disabilities who might have trouble pressing or reaching particular buttons.

What would make this amazing, is if you could have a custom profile for each particular game.

damn, good point

Hope it's like with the Vita where you hold the home button and then adjust the controls from a settings menu. That way each game can have its own button setup.

DieH@rd

Banned
What will happen with button layouts? Will the icons change to your custom map? If not it can be very confusing in many games.

If the games use some OS API for managing button calls[even for stylized icons] then even with changed sheme, everything should work fine.

jaypah

Another poster said this was the actual reason for the feature, which makes it that much more awesome.

Edit: It was Goodacre0081

fertygo

I want ability to mapping left analog to right analog :/

Its always my my dream since I'm just one-handed, always love using that feature on emulator.

Not gonna happen I guess.

meppi

Fantastic! O for confirming and X for cancelling like in Asia makes so much more sense. I've been hoping for this for years.

It was a mistake that Sony switched X and O in the west.

This!
Although I'm not sure what will happen with games that already use this...
I would hate to see Japanese imports all of a sudden require X to confirm. :-/

Skux

If the games use some OS API for managing button calls[even for stylized icons] then even with changed sheme, everything should work fine.

So this could even work with a game like The Order and change all the QTE and on-screen prompts and tutorials?

Bsigg12

Pretty neat if it's true. I'm not one to really care about button mapping too much but this is cool regardless.

Wiggy

Awesome feature! Its always annoying when games dont let you.

I wonder if this will annoy any devs. I assumed sometimes they want it to be difficult to do certain things, like jumping whilst shooting or whatever.

spwolf

i dont really see myself using it often, but it seems like a nice feature for all those people who complained about controls before.

Shahed

This sounds awesome. I hate that games don't offer button remapping, and now they kind of don't need to. A couple of caveats though.

Firstly it shouldn't be a console wide setting. It should be user specific. Kind of like how each user has their own setting for controller volume and LED brightness

Secondly you should be able to have multiple settings. Certain button remaps will only make sense for certain games. So there should be a way to switch from Set 1, to Default then Set 2 and so forth. Heck even do it automatically when playing that game like how you can choose which games upload their save files to PS+

If this is per game, awesome. If not, I can see myself just getting confused and never using it. Remapping buttons is the first thing I do whenever I start a new PC game.

FyreWulff

Would be cool if you could force Legacy Sticks in games that forget to have them

This is pretty nice all around and maybe it'll push Nintendo and MS to also put it system-wide.

Occam

This!
Although I'm not sure what will happen with games that already use this...
I would hate to see Japanese imports all of a sudden require X to confirm. :-/

That's not a problem, because a game's code doesn't say X or O, it says something like [confirm button], and then checks where the console is from. It's been that way at least since PS3.

brb+singing+feelings.gif

Reule

I won't take advantage of this but wow, that's pretty awesome. Going to be great for many people for many different reasons.

I won't take advantage of this but wow, that's pretty awesome. Going to be great for many people for many different reasons.
Yeah I'll probably never use this feature myself, but if it helps improve the way disabled people play games then I'm pretty happy about that.

Top Bottom