• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

So Musk changed his mind again. He just said he's going continue to offer Starlink for free to Ukraine. What a mess this guy is..

Edit: Reading his tweet it could also be sarcasm, who the fuck knows..

hes trying to milk more money out of the Gov. gravy train, People need to ignore him

Ironbunny

I'm no military expert, but I figure flying that high in a heli while your opponent has sophisticated ground to air defenses is probably a really stupid idea. I thought the whole idea of attack helicopters was that they could fly in low and fast then get out before being retaliated upon. Also that "Yes!" at the end, guessing there were some Foreign Legion fellas in that group.

If anything this war has shown is that ruZZian military actions defy any logic. But I agree flying that high would not make much sense. :S

Last edited:

I can see the stupid Belurissian president, thinking that if he sends some meat from his country to attack Ukraine with the Ruzzians, their real military will side with him because "they killed our men". My other bet is they will place people in the borders to help Ruzzian with logistics but have the tail between the legs.

LimanimaPT

So Musk changed his mind again. He just said he's going continue to offer Starlink for free to Ukraine. What a mess this guy is..

Edit: Reading his tweet it could also be sarcasm, who the fuck knows..

It seems sarcasm. Fuck this guy. YES you should provide starlink for free if needed and do something to help Ukraine. You have billions that will make no difference to you. FUCK YOU.

Hugh Laurie House GIF by PeacockTV

TwinB242

News from the front!

Luhansk: ukraine has reportedly liberated a few towns and are in the process of clearing the ridgeline that separates kharkiv from luhanks. One of the reportedly liberated towns is 10 kilometers from Svatove.

Kherson: ukraine launched a large, multipronged counter offensive. Reportedly around 5 towns nearby Mylove were liberated.

Crimea: with the bridge still unavailable for military logistics, the russians resorted to the much slower ferry. Today they announced the ferry would shutdown due to hazardous weather and sea conditions, for at least 4-5 days.

Where are you getting the Kherson info from? Rybar is reporting that the offensive didn't succeed. I know they're a Russian source but they've been accurate in the past

k1m1d4n

News from the front!

Luhansk: ukraine has reportedly liberated a few towns and are in the process of clearing the ridgeline that separates kharkiv from luhanks. One of the reportedly liberated towns is 10 kilometers from Svatove.

Kherson: ukraine launched a large, multipronged counter offensive. Reportedly around 5 towns nearby Mylove were liberated.

Crimea: with the bridge still unavailable for military logistics, the russians resorted to the much slower ferry. Today they announced the ferry would shutdown due to hazardous weather and sea conditions, for at least 4-5 days.
Hazardous weather? As in HIMARS RAIN 🌧️!!!

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Where are you getting the Kherson info from? Rybar is reporting that the offensive didn't succeed. I know they're a Russian source but they've been accurate in the past

From a few select Twitter users that so far have been reliable.

As for Rybar, most of the people running that are in Russian jail awaiting trial for defaming the military… there was a crackdown on critics. So wether they will continue to accurately report the losses as of this moment is up in the air.

As always, front info is what it is and a few days will let us know who was in the right.

TwinB242

From a few select Twitter users that so far have been reliable.

As for Rybar, most of the people running that are in Russian jail awaiting trial for defaming the military… there was a crackdown on critics. So wether they will continue to accurately report the losses as of this moment is up in the air.

As always, front info is what it is and a few days will let us know who was in the right.

Yeah but during the initial offensive on the right flank we immediately heard about its success once Ukraine broke through Russia's defensive lines. The fact that so many Ukranian sources are silent today is not a good sign I feel.

Last edited:
Looks like the dragon teeth trenches are working for Russia for now.
Which was expected as it forces the UA to consolidate to more narrow offensives which makes for easy targets

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Yeah but during the initial offensive on the right flank we immediately heard about its success once Ukraine broke through Russia's defensive lines. The fact that so many Ukranian sources are silent today is not a good sign I feel.

I´m not going to disagree with you :messenger_grinning:

The front is what it is.

TwinB242

I´m not going to disagree with you :messenger_grinning:

The front is what it is.

I think western IFVs would be a huge help for these kind of offenses. They don't have the firepower of tanks but they're quick and still have a decent amount of armor. Plus they have tracks so they wouldn't get bogged down easily in muddy terrain during the winter.

I know Germany is being greedy with their Marders but the U.S. apparently has 6500 Bradleys so they could afford to gift a couple hundred to Ukraine. I imagine the training required would be minimal as well.

Tams

It seems sarcasm. Fuck this guy. YES you should provide starlink for free if needed and do something to help Ukraine. You have billions that will make no difference to you. FUCK YOU.

He doesn't have billions to spare. The whole if you owe a bank $10,000 you're in trouble, if you owe them $100 million the bank's in trouble.

And he has to fund the Twatter acquisition, even if most is going to be footed by others.

I also think it is fair that SpaceX get to profit from the use of their service in Ukraine, just as other defence companies have and are.

The differences are:

a) He's been all public about his 'altruism'* so there's now an expectation he at the least provides some for free (in other words, at least only profits slightly). He's dug that himself, as usual.

b) He publicly has tried to extort the Pentagon. That was never going to go well.

*Defence companies tend to not make fools of themselves on social media and talk shows.

akimbo009

Gold Member
He doesn't have billions to spare. The whole if you owe a bank $10,000 you're in trouble, if you owe them $100 million the bank's in trouble.

And he has to fund the Twatter acquisition, even if most is going to be footed by others.

I also think it is fair that SpaceX get to profit from the use of their service in Ukraine, just as other defence companies have and are.

The differences are:

a) He's been all public about his 'altruism'* so there's now an expectation he at the least provides some for free (in other words, at least only profits slightly). He's dug that himself, as usual.

b) He publicly has tried to extort the Pentagon. That was never going to go well.

*Defence companies tend to not make fools of themselves on social media and talk shows.

I like most of your takes, but wheeewwwww on this one. You're really trying to explain Musk's exploitative behaviors that manipulate the market, and on this case, Ukraines ability to prosecute their war against the invaders.

He's a fuck all around, and needs to put up or shut up. He said he'd do a thing, so do it. Or don't - but he needs to stop acting like a savior or someone who matters in this war.

Tams

I like most of your takes, but wheeewwwww on this one. You're really trying to explain Musk's exploitative behaviors that manipulate the market, and on this case, Ukraines ability to prosecute their war against the invaders.

He's a fuck all around, and needs to put up or shut up. He said he'd do a thing, so do it. Or don't - but he needs to stop acting like a savior or someone who matters in this war.
I didn't say he should be acting all altruistic. In fact, I'm implied he should shut the fuck up.

I do think SpaceX are entitled to profit from this, as others are (who don't trumpet their involvement). But because of the hole Musk has dig himself and them, it's going to be less profitable and he won't be able to successfully spin it as being altruistic anymore.

Look, I wouldn't go on one of his Mars missions incase he took a disliking to me and decided to cut off my oxygen. He's a massive cunt.

akimbo009

Gold Member
I didn't say he should be acting all altruistic. In fact, I'm implied he should shut the fuck up.

I do think SpaceX are entitled to profit from this, as others are (who don't trumpet their involvement). But because of the hole Musk has dig himself and them, it's going to be less profitable and he won't be able to successfully spin it as being altruistic anymore.

Look, I wouldn't go on one of his Mars missions incase he took a disliking to me and decided to cut off my oxygen. He's a massive cunt.
Entitled to profit off of war... You mean, SpaceX and Musk deserve to be war profiteers? Mmm... I'm not sure you mean that.

Folks will profit, all wars have winners and losers in this regard, but no one "deserves" to fleece victims - certainly not in such a public way. Not to mention I suspect he was already profiting, but his motivation seems more aligned with sucking Putin's dick than monetary motivation.

Tams

Entitled to profit off of war... You mean, SpaceX and Musk deserve to be war profiteers? Mmm... I'm not sure you mean that.

Folks will profit, all wars have winners and losers in this regard, but no one "deserves" to fleece victims - certainly not in such a public way. Not to mention I suspect he was already profiting, but his motivation seems more aligned with sucking Putin's dick than monetary motivation.

I don't know what kind of naïve world you live in, but any defence company, and many indirect ones, profit from war. It's just the way things are and after a lot of thinking and soul searching, I can't think of a better solution that maintains defence and defence innovation while having some sort of morality still be present. So I've accepted it.

But as I have now said twice and am saying again, Elon can fuck off trying to fleece the DoD (and other countries' defence organisations) as a) he claimed to be being altruistic and b) his new demands were plain greedy.

No it makes sense that Russia blew up their own pipeline that they spent billions on.
The US has nothing to gain from blowing up a gas pipe half a world apart from them and possibly being caught doing so. I's also not easy to do without deploying forces into the Baltic Sea.

Also notice that there were multiple breaches along the pipe and the pipe has an internal maintenance mechanism/robot that travels the distance. Some say it's actually likely that this was an unmanned russian operation. Which is a best case scenario if you want to reduce the possibility of getting caught doing it.

Also, Gasprom paid for half of it, the rest was paid by the countries using it, the Russian government technically spent 0 money on it. Knowing Russia they'll argue it wasn't blown up by them and hence they/gasprom won't pay to fix it, or will only pay half.

And they didn't blew up the pipepine, they made some holes on it.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

So Musk changed his mind again. He just said he's going continue to offer Starlink for free to Ukraine. What a mess this guy is...

Fuck me, what a whiny little bitch. He’s coming out of this situation with a reputation in tatters. Either provide it or don’t, but stop coming onto social media like a spurned prom queen, and posting passive aggressive shit like this.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Musk probably needs titanium for his space project (as USA did back then when they were building the SR-70), so he trying keep his contacts alive.

Damn, I thought I was the only one interested in these stories. Nice. The story of the titanium acquirement from the Soviet Union to the US for the secret Blackbird project is one of the many interesting stories around the project.

Last edited:
The whole problem is claim that ruZZia should have a right for some buffer state. Looking at Poo-tins maps many indepent countries would fall under that trap. No thanks.
The problem is that, up to this point Russia always got something from that behaviour. Abusers have to be punished, you can't count on them being ashamed when they get to win something by the end of the conflict. Half a win is a win for Russia, the negotiation process of letting an invader state keep anything is wrong and should never be encouraged (not just with Russian politics might I add).

Germany is ashamed of World War 2 because they didn't win it and nowhere it can be claimed that they were better off afterwards, had more money or had more territory afterwards. That's what losing feels like.

I mean, even with the Finland war last century, which Russia lost, Finland lost 17% of it's territory in order to settle things with them. Their argument to invade was, again, the buffer state bullshit.

Last edited:

GladiusFrog

Why haven't we sent over ATACMS?

"Iran’s armaments industry is preparing a first shipment of Fateh-110 and Zolfaghar missiles, two well-known Iranian short-range ballistic missiles capable of striking targets at distances of 300 and 700 kilometers to Russia" - Washington Post

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Why haven't we sent over ATACMS?

"Iran’s armaments industry is preparing a first shipment of Fateh-110 and Zolfaghar missiles, two well-known Iranian short-range ballistic missiles capable of striking targets at distances of 300 and 700 kilometers to Russia" - Washington Post

It’s insane that Russia is allowed to strike every inch of Ukrainian land but Ukrainians are restricted to 70km range…

Tams

It’s insane that Russia is allowed to strike every inch of Ukrainian land but Ukrainians are restricted to 70km range…
Because Russia have nuclear weapons, unfortunately.

Also, an appetite to blame others for their own problems and are mentally deranged enough to 'punish' others for their own mistakes. Perhaps with nuclear weapons.

Deep down, they know they can't justify their use on occupied territories, even if they think they are theirs. Nor the odd missile or rocket hitting a border city. But if it became common for strikes to happen in undisputed Russian territory...

Last edited:
Top Bottom