• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rust is the most frustrating game I have ever played

TVexperto

So I bought Rust and played it for 8 hours straight collecting all the wood and rocks and then a guy kills me and everything is gone - how is that fun? You spend so much time gathering stuff but its too fast to loose everything. I wish they would implement something like GTA V where you cant get attacked and are transparent.

aka_bueno

So I bought Rust and played it for 8 hours straight collecting all the wood and rocks and then a guy kills me and everything is gone - how is that fun?

How is collecting wood and rocks for 8 hours fun. Sounds like the guy who killed you did ya a favor! Lol

Kuro

For a second I thought this was sarcasm. Did you research the game at all before buying? Seems like the whole point of the game is what you just experienced.

Card Boy

Banned
No whats frustrating (in Rust) is the random generated maps and you can never know the maps you are playing on server to server. Day-Z biggest strength was the Chernarus map and knowing all it's nook and crannies, it's player hotspots and when there is a sighting of something you know where to go.

The game itself is fine. The players on the other hand. It's the fate of all survival games without some kind of enforced rules. Which means you have to find a community to get that higher level play that makes it fun. Otherwise it's simply a griefing simulator.

For a second I thought this was sarcasm. Did you research the game at all before buying? Seems like the whole point of the game is what you just experienced.

Because building can be actually really cool. And then subsequent battles/raids. Only if you have enough players though. Usually what happens is there's one or two larger groups on the server that just prey on everyone though. They never need anything or loot your items. They usually just raid, kill you and drop all your stuff on the ground so it despawns.

Player bases on Survival games are typically quite toxic.

That's literally the idea of Rust and that's why I love it. If you don't want that play on a low population server or something.

I got so into Rust about 2 years ago, and then dropped it because of what the OP described. You have to find a group to play in or the game will fuck you over and over and over again.

When playing alone, I don't think I EVER logged off for the night and then logged back in the morning afterwards to find my shit not gone.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Welcome to survival games.

I personally find them shit, but they're very popular for whatever reason.

Compsiox

Banned
Back in Rust Legacy you could play for an hour or 2 and get pretty far along. Now you need to work hard at it and waste all your time until a clan comes to kill you.

EndersAres

Neo Member
Hoarding stuff is never a great idea. Generally you gather enough stuff to make a small room with a door and lock and chest and sleeping bag. Then you build outward. Eventually you will have a nice base. Probably lose it to but that aint nothing. You learn to build better in the future. Rust is probably the most satisfying survival game, especially when you get a gun for the first time. The pvp is great. I never really get why people get so upset about their sandcastle being knocked over. It makes me think of the people playing conan exiles building their awful mcmansions. You can probably find some server with rules that suit you.

Teeuwen

Banned
So I bought Rust and played it for 8 hours straight collecting all the wood and rocks and then a guy kills me and everything is gone - how is that fun? You spend so much time gathering stuff but its too fast to loose everything. I wish they would implement something like GTA V where you cant get attacked and are transparent.

It's really not a game for solo players, if you know someone in real life you can play with it's good, but honestly... Making friends in game is super touchy too.

Basically rust is a game about how bad humanity could be... Lol

(You do get some crazy scenarios sometimes though that make the game sooo worth it.)

Highly recommend playing on a server with higher resource rates (doesn't have to be ridiculous, just like 2x or 3x), instant or quicker craft times, and maybe the map plugin (where you can see people's location if they share it with you). Also, bring a friend.

Vanilla servers with tons of people are not really fun ever. There's a point where the population is too dense and you won't be able to accomplish anything, especially with default resource rates and craft times.

Early Access crafting survival multiplayer games are a big meme, but Rust can be very fun. The world generation has become pretty interesting, and something about the game makes me feel like I'm camping. The key to having fun in many of these games is to play with friends.

Hoarding stuff is never a great idea. Generally you gather enough stuff to make a small room with a door and lock and chest and sleeping bag. Then you build outward. Eventually you will have a nice base. Probably lose it to but that aint nothing. You learn to build better in the future. Rust is probably the most satisfying survival game, especially when you get a gun for the first time. The pvp is great. I never really get why people get so upset about their sandcastle being knocked over. It makes me think of the people playing conan exiles building their awful mcmansions. You can probably find some server with rules that suit you.

100% this.

I also would try to go to a PVE server and learn the ropes a bit. After that, I would try and play on a smaller server and move up once you get better. I personnaly love to play solo and dont really mind if I get raided. All it does it gives me a reason to rebuild somewhere else lol.

TheMan

Yeah...interesting premise but you need friends to back you up or forget it. Some asshat will come along and wreck you every time. I just gave up on the game

Backlogger

After playing Rust I'm completely and utterly turned off by this genre. Sucks because there was some cool stuff about the game I really liked but there was virtually no point to the PVP aspect of it. Something like factions and safe zones would have made it more tolerable

None of my friends own this game, after I got pwned a few times i said fuck this game(uninstalled), if you don't have friends to help you are a basically fucked....

Teeuwen

Banned
They had something special with Old Rust, real shame they blew it up when they did

Yeah, I miss the old red gummy bears and the ammo crates you could find. Actually did okay playing solo back then, the map was better for a solo person as well more places to hide.

What did you think you were getting out of Rust when you bought it? From the sounds of it you wanted something more akin to Minecraft or Animal Crossing. It doesn't sound like a very good game to me either.

You should probably be building a little house as you get the materials. Not a huge fan of vanilla myself I usually play modded.

One of the good things about DayZ was even the little guys could stick it to the powerful people on a server. In many of the survival games if you aren't near the top of the food chain you are fucked.

plushyp

Rust is a game I wish was around when I was 14-17. I probably would've found a clan and played the shit out of it.
Yeah, most PvP games are best played when your time is not at a premium aka when you're young.

If you don't have any friends, good luck trying to survive because someone is definitely going to kill you and steal your hard earned loot. True for almost all PvP games.

The problem with survival games is that they lack the social consequences that tend to have a significant implication within real world, human ecology.

It breaks down when you, the people you play with, and the people you kill are essentially anonymous, and the action itself lacks a significant consequence. Behaviour becomes unrepresentative of the environment the game attempts to replicate. People torturing others because there is no consequence, from either their peers, the environment, or the people they torture.

It's a bit ironic really that these survival simulators fail to provide systems intent on facilitating the development of real world ecological systems, because it causes player behaviour to be, unrealistic, unusual and unenjoyable for others they affect.

As a result, these games end up missing many of the meaningful components that would underpin real world survival. Is it a problem? I don't know, but it doesn't make for a very fun gameplay experience for me, most of the time. I can see how the games would be fun if I could guarantee I could play with people I knew already, or could trust, but that's not been my experience.

kubus

Oh man I played so much of Old Rust... I had this big house hidden in the mountains and every trek to the towns to find loot was so intense. I managed to live there pretty long but at some point the map got overcrowded, clans started forming and it wasn't fun anymore.

Haven't even touched new rust tbh :/

Tigress

The game itself is fine. The players on the other hand. It's the fate of all survival games without some kind of enforced rules. Which means you have to find a community to get that higher level play that makes it fun. Otherwise it's simply a griefing simulator.

Is being a griefing simulator special to survival games? Seems like it is any mp game that allows you to kil other players.

Top Bottom