• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome D.I.C.E 2013 Presentation

Respawn

Banned
Put me in as one of the millions that wouldn't see the difference from 900p to 1080p. Hell.. this whole time I thought what I was seeing on Killer Instinct was 1080p.

Sure when you're not viewing it on a 65" 1080p screen. Anything streaming on youtube can fool you.

Smokey

Looks amazing. If I stick with my X1 pre-order, I'll be getting it regardless if it sucks or not. Graphical showcase software for the system.

Looking very graphically impressive, let's see if the mechanics turn out half as impressive (they haven't yet, but game development is game development)

Sinthor

Gold Member
Yeah, I just edited above. His twitter says he's the CEO of Crytek, so this is as good as it gets to confirmation, IMO. Whoo!

...of course, if it turns out to be false, it's also the most mischievous piece of misleading information I've ever seen, but I'd personally trust him over Greenberg!

Thread title edit? This is pretty big news.

They also often say games are full HD meaning they are output in 1080p. Internal resolution may be sub-HD though so that's not the same thing as saying a game is "native 1080p." For whatever it's worth. Regardless, the game looks pretty darn impressive to me from the visual standpoint. I'm disappointed in what I've seen so far on gameplay, but it does look pretty stunning visually!

Sure when you're not viewing it on a 65" 1080p screen. Anything streaming on youtube can fool you.

What would you say the % of gamers are gaming on? TV size wise? Just out of a fun curiosity wise. I know people who just now upgraded to an HD tv to play their 360's and PS3's on. But ya. I bet most are not at 65 inches or above.

Respawn

Banned
Still want to see it in person but Maximillian said it looks great.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure the game looks Ace but if there are smoke and mirrors going on with these games then we will know the truth come November.

What would you say the % of gamers are gaming on? TV size wise? Just out of a fun curiosity wise. I know people who just now upgraded to an HD tv to play their 360's and PS3's on. But ya. I bet most are not at 65 inches or above.

You would be right in that aspect. I was just stating that there will be some gamers out there who will have these sets. 900p is a hell lot better than 720p.

the onslaught of negativity towards this games supposed downgrade was bugging me but now that i see the stream fuck those people lol i cant wait to play it, its turning out good so far

Porkepik

My 100 " 1080p projection screen show the difference pretty obviously.... Do I mind 900p and fluid gameplay ...not at all. 720p is good enough for me as long everything is not jerky.
And I don't have a xbone preordered just a ps4, however resolution don't affect me as much as dropped frames. as long as its hd everything between 720p and 1080p is fine even with my big screen. I much prefer addition of special effects and smoothness in general. I really don't understand what the hoopla is all about between 900p and 1080p. we are not talking about 4k resolution here, just a small difference.

Keeping it on my radar. It would help my decision to purchase it if Crytek would show off some more of the story.

Also, considering all the negativity towards it, they should probably consider releasing a demo.

Nags

Banned
Glad to see it's looking good. Hope MS and their exclusive partners continue to step up and make that extra push to really impress with great fidelity. Don't hold back I say, there are more people that can tell the difference than they realize.

Why are there no custom gifs yet of the face?!

Not sure i follow, like a banderas gif? I got another one from the stream.

iWQ9IoU23xMKH.gif

Got another one but I'll wait for a fresh page since it's 19mb.

MS says that Ryse runs at 900p and Crytek promises full HD. There just seems to be no coordination or communication among MS executives, PR spokespersons and the developers. Conflicting statements, confusions and ensuing clarifications have become a norm for MS. I think MS firmly believes in the phrase "There is no such thing as bad publicity." They constantly stay in the headlines and spotlight even if for the wrong reasons. I'll be waiting for reviews, the MP looks bland seems to be way off the gameplay of single-player.
Graphics are great, Ryse, Forza, Killzone, DC and Knack are looking sweet.

FordGTGuy

Banned
MS says that Ryse runs at 900p and Crytek promises full HD. There just seems to be no coordination or communication among MS executives, PR spokespersons and the developers. Conflicting statements, confusions and ensuing clarifications have become a norm for MS. I think MS firmly believes in the phrase "There is no such thing as bad publicity." They constantly stay in the headlines and spotlight even if for the wrong reasons.

Before starting conspiracy theories did you not notice that the optimizations happened after Albert made that statement?

It probably was 900p but it they can enact such a radical change as we've seen why can't they bump it up to 1080p?

Game looks pretty bad compared to the E3 build. No doubt.

Still going to get it on launch day but sad to see that they had to make such drastic cuts to the game.

RyseComparison5.jpg
Looks bad? Everything seems to be upgrade, from shaders and textures to lightning and shadowing...

charsace

Grimløck;83993631 said:
Looking fucking good but that two thousand yard stare gets me every time.

You do realize that he's staring out at a crowd? The eyes and the way they animate looks great.

Not sure i follow, like a banderas gif? I got another one from the stream.

iWQ9IoU23xMKH.gif

Got another one but I'll wait for a fresh page since it's 19mb.

At E3 they released a screenshot on that same area... I'll see if I can find it to compare to see if this also has any changes...

Edit: Apparently it wasn't actually released but it was part of the E3 demo:

http://www.videojuegosadiario.com/w...ura-de-pantalla-2013-06-10-a-las-11.58.19.png

(Love how the characters are being lit by the lighting bouncing on the wall)

Wtf is going on with this game? The "downgraded" shots seem to look better than the "old" ones.

Better to just call them optimizations. :)

The awesome part is that it may look even better, if not for the fact that the capture was from a powerpoint presentation taken from a videostream.

I don't see how anyone could look at this game after a generation of consoles 8x weaker and say it looks "bad".

Amazing is a much better word. Playing games are gonna be like playing CG movies.

Look at the wrinkles and blemishes in the neck. Also notice how much more is happening in the background. The characters look much less like video game models and more like actual people thanks to the more natural lighting and details.

Crytek are graphics gods to be producing this at launch.

Before starting conspiracy theories did you not notice that the optimizations happened after Albert made that statement?

It probably was 900p but it they can enact such a radical change as we've seen why can't they bump it up to 1080p?

The hardware being weaker, having to make do the best they can with what has been given to them? I honestly do not know. if they can get it to 1080p it will be great for those buying the game.
If not well I'm sure it won't matter much in the long run.

FordGTGuy

Banned
The hardware being weaker, having to make do the best they can with what has been given to them? I honestly do not know. if they can get it to 1080p it will be great for those buying the game.
If not well I'm sure it won't matter much in the long run.

Being weaker?

It's the same exact hardware they were building for before, this isn't a multi-platform game or anything.

Top Bottom