• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saga of the DCEU continues - The Flash getting page-one rewrite (Variety)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
What is a "page one" rewrite and how it changes from usual rewrites ?

Typical rewrites build-on what was previously done. Expand, refocus, re-approach the story from a different perspective.

Page-one rewrites essentially mean they threw just about everything but the core premise in the trash and started over.

What is a "page one" rewrite and how it changes from usual rewrites ?

As always it's not absolute, but you can think of it as keeping the skeleton of the script and changing what's around it. So likely the characters, the villains, some action beat remain. How they connect, what they say, is what can be rewritten.

Although I'm leaning towards cynical here coming after Rick's departure, it's not really a good or bad thing. Maybe the old script was bad, as was the case with Zak Penn's Avengers. But this new guy they brought on is unknown. At least Seth had some writing credits, including LEGO Batman.

Do you think the directors left because of the script or because of WB's control over the project?

gvmL1Vi.gif

Everything I've seen about the flash movie so far is extremely worrisome. Really the only two things I'm aware of are that the costume looks like ass and they are writing him like peter Parker. Neither gives me any confidence.

Jesus Christ... Put an overall creative director (who happens to be familiar with the source material) in charge of the entire DCEU and sort it out. And don't interfere!

They're on another level of incompetency here.

Bluth54

Considering how many directors have left this movie I can't say I'm surprised. Hopefully the rewrite makes it better but I have so little confidence the DCEU will produce any good movies anymore that I doubt it.

LotusHD

Banned
This entire movie universe just needs to die already tbh

Actually I don't know why I'm saying tbh, when I assume most people probably would agree with me by now.

I don't get it: Superman is a very hard character to write since he's essentially a god and thus its hard to write believable challenges for him to overcome.

But this is The Flash! Its just a guy who runs fast. Why is WB fucking up for hard with this!?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Honestly with WB, and how this universe has turned out so far, rewrites should certainly be seen as very bad.

Ross61

I don't get it: Superman is a very hard character to write since he's essentially a god and thus its hard to write believable challenges for him to overcome.

But this is The Flash! Its just a guy who runs fast. Why is WB fucking up for hard with this!?
Why does it have to be fucking up. Couldn't they have decided that they want to take this in the different direction than before? As a page one rewrite would suggest....

LotusHD

Banned
Why does it have to be fucking up. Couldn't they have decided that they want to take this in the different direction than before? As a page one rewrite would suggest....

Because they don't have the benefit of the doubt at this point. We'll see though.

Xanathus

Flash is practically as powerful as Superman if you go by the nonsense he can do in the comics. There's a reason why all of his arch-nemesis are also speedsters, literally nothing else can really oppose him if you account for his abilities.

ericexpo

Probably has to do with the show and trying to something different but have the same core characters

I think even if DC hits or overdoes that mark, this trend of negativity by media will still continue.

The disparity between the critic score and user likes proves there's some bias against DC films.

Or there is a bias against bad films. The critics were kind to TDKR, and that was just above average, which the current DCEU stuff can't even come close to.

They're probably trying to figure out a way to give Batman a larger role.
Flashpoint incoming

I think even if DC hits or overdoes that mark, this trend of negativity by media will still continue.

The disparity between the critic score and user likes proves there's some bias against DC films.

LMFAO or maybe they're just shit films overvoted by blind pathetic fanboys online. Nah, I'm sure Rotten Tomatoes (which is partly owned by WB) has it out for them.

The Kree

Banned

No it doesn't. It proves that professional critics have more discerning tastes than casual movie goers. They'd have to or else they probably couldn't get paid to critique.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Flash and Cyborg movies get cancelled if Wonder Woman and Justice League underperform. Especially the Cyborg solo movie, that's basically in the same territory alongside that Inhumans movie that Marvel fans swear is still happening.

ZeroX03

Banned
ffs Johns can you just step in and write it yourself, solo.

Or get Berlanti and Kreisberg to do it in the off season of The Flash show.

Slayven

So there is a grand conspiracy against DC films. WB one of the biggest multimedia company in the world can't fight a bunch of youtube nerds and bloggers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom