• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saga of the DCEU continues - The Flash getting page-one rewrite (Variety)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hidys

To late now.

Time for a Nolan reboot

Chances are that Warner has asked him more times than anybody could count and has said no every time. If he wanted to take charge of the DCEU it would have happened and I don't think Warner Brothers could offer him anything to change his mind.

LewieP

He could just be negotiating, holding off for the right amount of money, or even right level of freedom.

I guess they could bring Joseph Gordon Levitt back as Batman.

hidys

He could just be negotiating, holding off for the right amount of money, or even right level of freedom.

I guess but I can't imagine a world where he wasn't the first person they asked.

no way would Nolan ever want to be involved with shepherding an entire cinematic universe.

maybe his brother would have been up for it though but then Westworld happened.

I guess but I can't imagine a world where he wasn't the first person they asked.

Exactly. They did ask him and he agreed to have his name associated with Man of Steel for what I imagine was a pretty big paycheck. And that's probably all we'll ever get from him. I don't think Nolan has any interest in the most fantastical characters of the DCU nor in the notion of a shared universe. If characters like Poison Ivy, Killer Croc and Clayface had no chance of appearing in his Bat-universe, then I doubt he would ever want to touch the Justice League characters.

Pretty sure Nolan already has Carte Blanche at WB given his films' track record. As for money, I don't think its an issue for him. He could ask WB for $100 million upfront plus a gross percentage to do more DC and they'd probably give it to him without hesitation. The man just doesn't seem interested anymore.

And finally, if he's not interested I don't want him to do another DC movie. Last time he phoned it in we got The Dark Knight Rises, which while better than anything the DCEU has given us is still a very flawed and lazy film.

Chances are that Warner has asked him more times than anybody could count and has said no every time. If he wanted to take charge of the DCEU it would have happened and I don't think Warner Brothers could offer him anything to change his mind.

Yup. WB would move heaven and earth if they thought it would even give them a chance at getting Nolan back to DC. If they didn't get him years ago, they won't ever. His contributions on Man of Steel and a meaningless name stamp on BvS are the most he's willing to give them and I don't see that changing soon. Especially when the man has freaking carte blanche at this point. No reason to accept a big ol' check for something he just isn't interested in returning to when he can already get all the money he wants doing whatever the hell he wants.

hidys

Yup. WB would move heaven and earth if they thought it would even give them a chance at getting Nolan back to DC. If they didn't get him years ago, they won't ever. His contributions on Man of Steel and a meaningless name stamp on BvS is they most he's willing to give them and I don't see that changing soon. Especially when the man has freaking carte blanche at this point. No reason to accept a big ol' check for something he just isn't interested in returning to when he can get all the money he wants doing whatever the hell he wants.

Exactly this. If I was Nolan I'd rather make slightly less millions of dollars making films I actually want to make than making more millions for films I have no interest in making.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
WB needs a visionary leading DCU.

They got that covered....

visionarysnyder.gif

JL will do better than BvS box office wise, based on the name and spectacle alone.

That same logic was applied to BvS and didn't hold up.

WB needs to keep Nolan away from the universe. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were great films, because he wanted to tell those stories. Rises was more of an "eh, why not" afterthought and it showed. If WB wants to revive the franchise, I'd rather see them bring Chad Stahelski and/or David Leitch on board. ANd don't go all-in from day one on a cinematic universe, but see how the first few pan out, give yourself time to adjust course where needed, listen to critics and fans, learn from Marvel's and your own mistakes.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that Joby Harold has written three films in total, one of which is Guy Ritchie's King Arthur film. His first screenplay was Awake, starring Hayden Christensen.

kurahador

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that Joby Harold has written three films in total, one of which is Guy Ritchie's King Arthur film. His first screenplay was Awake, starring Hayden Christensen.

Awake was mediocre, and the other 2 aren't released yet. Oh boy...

I'm more surprised by the fact that DC hasn't offered him to direct the movie yet.

Saw the trailer for that King Arthur film. It makes the God-awful 2004 one look good.

deleted

The quest to find a good DCEU movies continues.

The Flash has been around long enough that there has to be a decent idea floating around from someone that has passion for the project.

They seriously should see this through to safe face and then let it all explode in a giant DCEU explosion to begin anew with someone who's got a decent vison on top.

Or there is a bias against bad films. The critics were kind to TDKR, and that was just above average, which the current DCEU stuff can't even come close to.

Haha Hahahahaha

I love how its on the critics, being wrong, and not the longstsnding fans of these comics who mostly basing their criticisms on emotion.

No it doesn't. It proves that professional critics have more discerning tastes than casual movie goers. They'd have to or else they probably couldn't get paid to critique.

So, the "critics" are the arbiters of "bad films" instead of the paying audience? Their tastes should override what the general audience wants to see? Sounds like cultural facism.

Here we go again...

LMFAO or maybe they're just shit films overvoted by blind pathetic fanboys online. Nah, I'm sure Rotten Tomatoes (which is partly owned by WB) has it out for them.

Thanks. I win the argument by default.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
So, the "critics" are the arbiters of "bad films" instead of the paying audience? Their tastes should override what the general audience wants to see? Sounds like cultural facism.

"Cultural facism"? I've heard it all now.

But are we discussing quality of film or success of a film? Those are really two separate discussions. Bad films can be succesful, see Transformers, and good films can be unsuccesful, see Shawshank Redemption.

tim1138

The character descriptions in the initial casting call made it sound like a lost episode from season 1 of the TV show, so a rewrite might not be the worst thing.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Thanks. I win the argument by default.

So many people actually have this opinion that I honestly can't tell of this is sarcasm or not.

Xater

I see the marvel bias continues without letting up. Everywhere you turn it's just a steam of negativity and doubt. There is a constant theme to undercut the tremendous support the DCEU has. And I think it's just unbelievably frustrating when you’re continually told it’s not big enough; it’s not good enough. You can’t win. I’ve never seen it like this. The default narrative is always negative, and it’s demoralizing.

Man I can't believe no one understood this. Amazing post friend. Some people in here need to pay a little attention to politics.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
This is why you should have put Geoff Johns in charge instead of Snyder... no vision, everything's a mess.

Why don't you want James Wan Aquaman? That shit will be the best superhero movie of the year it comes out.

The only DC movie I have hope in.

Tobor

I mean for fucks sake you have arguably the DEFINITIVE Flash writer headed your studio creatively and you still can't make this shit work with a touch up?

Like, Johns is RIGHT THERE.

Mark Waid isn't working at Warner Bros. He should be, but he isn't.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Apologies if this comes off as ignorant, as someone who hasn't read any of the Flash comics what possible challenge does someone who can move faster than we can perceive face from any enemy? Couldn't he just punch anyone repeatedly at super speed? Or build a cage around someone without them being able to react? Why doesn't he just move at super speed all the time? People talk about Superman being hard to write for as there's no real challenges he can face, but the Flash could fuck up your day in a heartbeat.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Do Flashpoint and reboot.

Millions dollah cheque plz.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Apologies if this comes off as ignorant, as someone who hasn't read any of the Flash comics what possible challenge does someone who can move faster than we can perceive face from any enemy? Couldn't he just punch anyone repeatedly at super speed? Or build a cage around someone without them being able to react? Why doesn't he just move at super speed all the time? People talk about Superman being hard to write for as there's no real challenges he can face, but the Flash could fuck up your day in a heartbeat.

IDK about the comics, but in the TV show he also has an accelerated metabolism, so running really fast requires lots of energy. Plus, his enemies are also speedsters, except Captain Cold, who shoots freezing cold air, which slows speedsters down.

What they originally had probably worked just fine. What they had rewritten probably worked okay, too.

Flash likely isn't the problem at all.

It's the universe Flash is attached to.

So if this universe brickwalls in November, then the "page one rewrite" becomes an abandoned project. If the universe manages to clear BvS's take, this "page one rewrite" ends up being a revision of what they already had and a director finally gets announced.
I think this is Afflecks problem as well. Ben really wants to direct a Batman film. I just think he doesn't want it attached to the larger universe.

DeviantBoi

If Snyder had anything to do with the script, then maybe it's a good thing they threw it away.

Maybe they just want to continue forward without any influence from Snyder.

Skux

I think this is Afflecks problem as well. Ben really wants to direct a Batman film. I just think he doesn't want it attached to the larger universe.

I would hate it too, being forced into shoehorning references and random cameos that make no sense for the sake of "world building". The MCU films got this right by telling the main story first and keeping all the crossover teases in post-credit scenes.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The disparity between the critic score and user likes proves there's some bias against DC films.

I'm afraid not, it's more likely the hardcore fans are just a lot more forgiving.

All DCEU movies released so far have been pretty miserable by any critical standard.

I've said this before.

I'm an old school DC fan, hell! Beppo the Super Monkey is my avatar on a homage to All Star Superman #1

But I can't stand the DCCU movies.

As a DC fan I demand better movies, not support for the mediocre ones (at best) that they put out.

kurahador

More like DC fans vs Snyder fans, at least in Neogaf. I think I remember one GAF member using a nickname of "Snyderfan" or something and he posted some crazy shit too and it was before MoS was released.

Malvingt2

This is an interesting point. The Flash movie shouldn't be anything like that crappy tv show. I have no idea what it could be tho. To be honest, I don't even want to watch a Flash movie if it isn't some off the wall, batshit crazy thing. That's how I feel right now anyway. It could change after JL comes out.

tumblr_inline_ny9w1ivEV61tdtvve_500.gif

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
So two directors already left presumably because of the script, and yet now they've decided to scrap the script anyway? Alright.

Blader

So two directors already left presumably because of the script, and yet now they've decided to scrap the script anyway? Alright.

The first director wrote his own script. He was fired because WB wanted someone more experienced to direct the movie (not sure why this concern didn't come up when they hired him in the first place, though). The second director left because he an apparently edgier vision of the film that clashed with WB's.

DC are held to a higher standard than Marvel. The way people trip over themselves to highlight plot holes for shit that's explained in the movies is truly fascinating. But anyhow, regarding the topic of this thread, it's disappointing they can't get their shit together with the Flash.

2595163-7369566770-25927.gif

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
The first director wrote his own script. He was fired because WB wanted someone more experienced to direct the movie (not sure why this concern didn't come up when they hired him in the first place, though). The second director left because he an apparently edgier vision of the film that clashed with WB's.

Ah right, I forgot the Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter guy was first attached.

Don't know if you're serious or not but count me in for this. If, and this is a big-ass if they decide that it's time to start from scratch and reboot the whole thing, Flashpoint it's the best way to do it because it wouldn't feel like a reboot (like Spider-Man), it would be like a new piece on the DCEU but this motherfucker will be erasing everything and give a nice and clean slate (well maybe not so clean since their reputation but still).
And I'm pretty sure Flashpoint it's in their plans. A few months ago they said that the "dream" sequence on BvS it's not a dream, that actually happened aka Barry went back in time to warned Bruce. But who the fuck knows? These individuals don't seem sure about anything.
I was kidding because I don't think it's happening; I don't think WB has the balls to greenlight that, and I don't think whoever is at the helm of the DCEU has the ability to pull it off. I'd love for it to happen, but I think it's not so easy: the movie would no longer be "just" a Flash movie, it would be a Justice League movie, meaning it would likely be very expensive to make so it can't just have the "Flash" name attached to it (Justice League: Paradox?). And unless they're willing to get rid of the entire cast (which I don't think makes sense), they would still have the same actors and all they could change is their on-screen characterizations (which I figure is what most people think is wrong).

Again, I'd love for it to happen, but realistically I don't think it will soon. At least not before we see the end of what I'm assuming is a "Darkseid trilogy" (BvS, JL, JL2).
Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Batman with guns sign me up!
And Diane Lane as Joker.

The point of critics is they have a greater knowledge of the craft of filmmaking and as such, are able to illustrate why a film is well or poorly made. Enjoyment does not denote a good film and everyone has enjoyed films with horrible structural flaws.

I do note you ignored the poster who pointed out that the Marvel film user score is still much higher than their DC counterparts? We're talking a 20 point difference on average.

All of this is true. It's generally ignored for the conceit of comics. Superman is the same way; either hero, taken to their logical endpoint, should wipe the floor with any villain they come up against.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom