• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saga of the DCEU continues - The Flash getting page-one rewrite (Variety)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that Joby Harold has written three films in total, one of which is Guy Ritchie's King Arthur film. His first screenplay was Awake, starring Hayden Christensen.
At least King Arthur looks passable and the studio seems to have faith in it given its already getting a marketing push.

The other two... Yeah.

All of this is true. It's generally ignored for the conceit of comics. Superman is the same way; either hero, taken to their logical endpoint, should wipe the floor with any villain they come up against.
Well, some of Flash's most powerful (interesting?) enemies are speedsters.

I would pay money to see the ideas kicking around for Cyborg

Here's an exclusive picture of the office at WB where an up-and-coming screenwriter is working on Cyborg:

writers-block-header.jpg

Ninjimbo

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that Joby Harold has written three films in total, one of which is Guy Ritchie's King Arthur film. His first screenplay was Awake, starring Hayden Christensen.
The previous stuff usually doesn't matter. Hollywood writers have to start somewhere. We really have no clue who this guy is and what he's capable of, what skills he possesses, so why should we talk about him?

Busty

Banned
They'll both get shitcanned. If Justice League can't make more than BvS (and it might not) that says audiences don't care about this iteration of their heroes pantheon.

So if this universe brickwalls in November, then the "page one rewrite" becomes an abandoned project. If the universe manages to clear BvS's take, this "page one rewrite" ends up being a revision of what they already had and a director finally gets announced.

I can absolutely see WB waiting until they see how Wonder Woman and Justice League perform before jumping into the other films on the slate but actions speak louder than words and having a writer like Joby Harold (expensive and liked by the studio) do a page one rewrite shows a willingness by the studio to make this work.

If Warners really saw this as a low priority project they could have handed this to some new writer fresh off the Blacklist but instead they gave it someone they've worked with before and who has actually gotten scripts greenlit at the studio.

Are you seriously surprised that a thread on GAF about anything related to film is full of people that have no idea what the fuck they are talking about?

Honestly with WB, and how this universe has turned out so far, rewrites should certainly be seen as very bad.

So..., if there was a problem with the script they shouldn't try to fix it?

Busty

Banned
They have yet to prove they're even capable of fixing their own problems.

So, according to you, if WB think they have a script that doesn't work they shouldn't try to fix/rewrite the script they should just leave it 'broken' because they are unable to fix their own problems?

Brilliant.

Shaanyboi

Banned
So, according to you, if WB think they have a script that doesn't work they shouldn't try to fix/rewrite the script they should just leave it 'broken' because they are unable to fix their own problems?

Brilliant.

I never said they shouldn't fix it. I'm suggesting that there's a distinct lack of trust in their handling of their whole universe until they can otherwise prove that they've earned it.

:( I liked Man of Steel. I'm part of the problem.

It's no worse than most of the comic movies that have come from the mcu tbh. But it ain't great either. It's like a 5/10. Hella good villain and OST tho.

BvS was better. I have little faith in the DCEU as a whole but I am looking forward to what snyder has cooked up for justice league and how batman will be.

I hope he has a human girlfriend in the sonic movie. The world needs to see how far down the rabbit hole the sonic community has gone

Busty

Banned
maybe they can write him a new costume too.

It was my understanding that the suit with the "wires" was a homemade suit that he makes himself and by the end of the Justice League film he has a 'proper' costume provided to him by Wayne Tech.

I mean, there's still a good chance it'll be bad, but at least it's not live-action any more. (Unlike the Sonic movie, which I fully expect to be hot garbage if it ever actually happens)

When Tracking Board first reported the news (IIRC) they said Sony were looking for a 'dark, gritty' take on the material.

That was years ago and I'm still utterly baffled by what that's supposed to mean.

Litan

It's no worse than most of the comic movies that have come from the mcu tbh. But it ain't great either. It's like a 5/10. Hella good villain and OST tho.

BvS was better. I have little faith in the DCEU as a whole but I am looking forward to what snyder has cooked up for justice league and how batman will be.

MoS is about as good as the lowest of the MCU, Thor: The Dark World.

I hope he has a human girlfriend in the sonic movie. The world needs to see how far down the rabbit hole the sonic community has gone

There are two ways to do a Sonic movie. Either like the LEGO Movie where it's mostly self-aware of the series' bad history, with Jaleel White voicing Sonic, obviously. Or full on nightmare Sonic fanbase Coldsteel territory with humans and all that trash.

There are two ways to do a Sonic movie. Either like the LEGO Movie where it's mostly self-aware of the series' bad history, with Jaleel White voicing Sonic, obviously. Or full on nightmare Sonic fanbase Coldsteel territory with humans and all that trash.

Humanity deserves the second option and I'm sure Sony will oblige.

Isn't the whole point of a 'Cinematic Universe' that you don't have to reboot you can just tweak and adjust as necessary? Like Marvel did with Ed Norton?

That said it makes me sad that we are hardlocked into some decisions like Bratz Luthor. Also Justice League is going to have to come up with a good reason why Batman was behaving like a murderous twat.

Busty

Banned
It has been suggested to me that Warners bringing a writer like Joby Harold onboard to do a page one rewrite of The Flash could be because they intend to try and snag a name director and want to bring in a 'big' writer to do that.

I thought DC's boy, Geoff, had this under control? He's the one peeps are hinging the success of this universe now on right?

Maybe getting a page one rewrite on The Flash is him getting it under control?

The only page-one rewrite I could stomach right now is opening with Grant Gustin running through the Speed-Force, into the DCEU, looking around and immediately realizing that somehow he fucked-up all of reality. Cue re-boot, throw out this trash film-universe.

The CW shows are budget-hindered to a shocking degree, and yet still have more heart, and comic-book spirit than any single moment in the awful films.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The CW shows are budget-hindered to a shocking degree, and yet still have more heart, and comic-book spirit than any single moment in the awful films.

It's pretty wild how Johns and Berlanti outsid Snyder with a small fraction of the money.

Ross61

The only page-one rewrite I could stomach right now is opening with Grant Gustin running through the Speed-Force, into the DCEU, looking around and immediately realizing that somehow he fucked-up all of reality. Cue re-boot, throw out this trash film-universe.

The Flash can't call anything trash how this season looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom