• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saga of the DCEU continues - The Flash getting page-one rewrite (Variety)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastamind

Finally you say something sensible.

9gKvBPf.jpg

He's what we deserve.

Are those floating doritos?

This is getting shitcanned when Justice League stalls out at $750mil worldwide.

That's what this is.

You'll probably hear something similar about Aquaman in a couple months.

G-Fex

So there is a grand conspiracy against DC films. WB one of the biggest multimedia company in the world can't fight a bunch of youtube nerds and bloggers?

The conspiracy(LOL conspiracy there isn't any) is that everybody is quick to shit on these movies/news/rumors whatever that WB isn't helping any by constantly fucking up over and over again and again and listening to Snyder though his creativity is jack shit.

And no Nolan wouldn't help either.

Not surprised. The Flash has been through production hell right now. At this point the final product will probably have more writers who worked on it then The Flintstones movie for fucks sakes.

Get your shit together, WB.

In order to get their shit together, they need to be willing to admit their mistakes, they seem incapable of that, considering they keep hiring the wrong people again and again.

Why don't you want James Wan Aquaman? That shit will be the best superhero movie of the year it comes out.

I'm interested in Wan's Aquaman, but I'm worried it will go through many of the same problems, and the executives will just get more involved, which will make it worst.

I see the marvel bias continues without letting up. Everywhere you turn it's just a steam of negativity and doubt. There is a constant theme to undercut the tremendous support the DCEU has. And I think it's just unbelievably frustrating when you’re continually told it’s not big enough; it’s not good enough. You can’t win. I’ve never seen it like this. The default narrative is always negative, and it’s demoralizing.

Why don't you want James Wan Aquaman? That shit will be the best superhero movie of the year it comes out.

Because it would still be connected to the shit-stain DCEU in some way. If it was a standalone film then fine.

I see the marvel bias continues without letting up.

I would call it Good-Film bias but it looks like that concept is foreign to some people here.

Awaits Thor 2, IM3 and AoU to be brought up.

LotusHD

Banned
I see the marvel bias continues without letting up. Everywhere you turn it's just a steam of negativity and doubt. There is a constant theme to undercut the tremendous support the DCEU has. And I think it's just unbelievably frustrating when you're continually told it's not big enough; it's not good enough. You can't win. I've never seen it like this. The default narrative is always negative, and it's demoralizing.

Once again, they no longer have the benefit of the doubt. If the upcoming movies are good, then thank god, that's all we wanted to begin with.

And y'all really need to stop bringing up Marvel, it's just sad at this point.

ZeroX03

Banned
Once again, they no longer have the benefit of the doubt. If the upcoming movies are good, then thank god, that's all we wanted to begin with.

And y'all really need to stop bringing up Marvel, it's just sad at this point.

Like a damn fiddle

LewieP

I see the marvel bias continues without letting up. Everywhere you turn it's just a steam of negativity and doubt. There is a constant theme to undercut the tremendous support the DCEU has. And I think it's just unbelievably frustrating when you’re continually told it’s not big enough; it’s not good enough. You can’t win. I’ve never seen it like this. The default narrative is always negative, and it’s demoralizing.

They could easily overcome the Marvel bias by simply making a good movie. I don't know why they haven't tried that yet.

That's what this is.

Aquaman is the only one I can see really coming together.

Cyborg was never going to happen, NEVAH.

NEVAH

I don't get it: Superman is a very hard character to write since he's essentially a god and thus its hard to write believable challenges for him to overcome.

But this is The Flash! Its just a guy who runs fast. Why is WB fucking up for hard with this!?

Flash is like the most broken character in comics. His power set is completely ridiculous. And since we've already seen him travel through time in his first appearance on screen, I don't expect WB to nerf him for film.

They'll figure it out eventually. Right? RIGHT?
So there is a grand conspiracy against DC films. WB one of the biggest multimedia company in the world can't fight a bunch of youtube nerds and bloggers?
Marvelite/Nolanite alliance is very real according to xxDCcomicsfuturezonedork or whatever the hell his name is.

Slayven

Are those floating doritos?
That is advance 853 century tech. Plus he got tired of being called Nightwing

That's what this is.

Cyborg is their only hope
The conspiracy(LOL conspiracy there isn't any) is that everybody is quick to shit on these movies/news/rumors whatever that WB isn't helping any by constantly fucking up over and over again and again and listening to Snyder though his creativity is jack shit.

And no Nolan wouldn't help either.

Nolan show the shit coming and was like "I don't know them"

They'll both get shitcanned. If Justice League can't make more than BvS (and it might not) that says audiences don't care about this iteration of their heroes pantheon. So they'll scrap it.

When/how they'll start over? Who knows.

But you got Affleck already having made noise (he walked it back, but still) about bailing, they're expanding the already not-in-continuity Captain Marvel stuff, they're scrapping everything they did on Flash, which was supposed to drop before Aquaman (right?)... Batman still has no date, Man of Steel 2 is total vaporware....

Signs aren't good.

(insert my 50027th rant about patterning family-friendly big-budget CGI Animated universe based on Dini/Timm)

Blader

^I don't see them dumping Aquaman really, if only because it'll be in post just as JL is coming out.

...just in time for a frantic re-edit, spearheaded by the Suicide Squad trailer team!

I see the marvel bias continues without letting up. Everywhere you turn it's just a steam of negativity and doubt. There is a constant theme to undercut the tremendous support the DCEU has. And I think it's just unbelievably frustrating when you're continually told it's not big enough; it's not good enough. You can't win. I've never seen it like this. The default narrative is always negative, and it's demoralizing.

Justice League will be the greatest film of all time. Period.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
They'll both get shitcanned. If Justice League can't make more than BvS (and it might not) that says audiences don't care about this iteration of their heroes pantheon. So they'll scrap it.

But you got Affleck already having made noise (he walked it back, but still) about bailing, they're expanding the already not-in-continuity Captain Marvel stuff, they're scrapping everything they did on Flash, which was supposed to drop before Aquaman (right?)... Batman still has no date, Man of Steel 2 is total vaporware....

Signs aren't good.

Yep. If Justice League doesn't make bank, they're going to shut the lights off. What other reason would they have to keep going at that point? Praying that Gotham City Sirens does as well as Suicide Squad?

I'm a huge DC fan and I'm just fed up with this garbage. These aren't even just middling movies. They're just outright bad, even by blockbuster standards. I liked that Blake Lively movie with her fighting a fucking shark more than any DCEU movie I've ever seen. It's getting ridiculous.

Man, it's almost like making several series of films all connect to a larger universe, budget 2-3 movies per year at $150m+ each, and turn out consistent quality is actually kind of fucking hard and WB should have put a little more thought into it instead of now scrambling to keep up with a studio they had a 30 year head start on.

I'm a huge DC fan and I'm just fed up with this garbage. These aren't even just middling movies. They're just outright bad, even by blockbuster standards. I liked that Blake Lively movie with her fighting a fucking shark more than any DCEU movie I've ever seen. It's getting ridiculous.

That was actually a good movie though. It's better than a lot of things. Blake Lively Fights a Fucking Shark could have filmed at the YMCA and had a dude in a rubber shark suit and it still would have been a better movie than Suicide Squad.

Slayven

Signs aren't good.

(insert my 50027th rant about patterning family-friendly big-budget CGI Animated universe based on Dini/Timm)
Your unwavering pessimism is why we are twitter beefing right now
Black Panther comes out that year, so, not likely.

They won't be ready

That's what this is.

You really think JL might night not even catch BvS? Holy shit. Blow it up if that happens. Crazy that Star Wars can hit a billion no problem with no name rebels yet The Trinity and The League may not hit that milestone.

You really think JL might night not even catch BvS? Holy shit. Blow it up if that happens. Crazy that Star Wars can hit a billion no problem with no name rebels yet The Trinity and The League may not hit that milestone.

Considering there's not much of a selling point to JL that wasn't already in BVS, it's not exactly hard to believe it could make less, especially if it turns out to just be as poorly received.

Prompto

Banned
I remember being actually somewhat excited for this because of the previous director and Phil Lord and Chris Miller's involvement. Now I have no hope for this.

Blader

It can't be that hard to write a Flash movie can it? Just do the Reverse Flash stuff. Its pretty good.

Honestly, not that I don't think a Flash movie and tv show with separate continuities can't co-exist, but the show is really sapping my interest in what a Flash movie could do. Reverse Flash? Time travel? A budding romance with Iris? After watching this play out on tv for three years already, I can't imagine a two-hour condensed version feeling like anything but more of the same.

HvySky

I don't know a ton about the DC universe, just now getting into it with Arrow and Flash on CW, but isn't the Flash more or less an easy way out for WB if they really do need to reboot this shitshow? I think I know what the rewrite should be.

I remember being actually somewhat excited for this because of the previous director and Phil Lord and Chris Miller's involvement. Now I have no hope for this.

Hah, shit, the Lord/Miller involvement seems like so long ago.

They'll have made the Han Solo movie and have their name on the Miles Morales movie before Flash comes out.

Given the trajectory of superhero films and the popularity of the TV show, this should do $600 million easy even if it's mediocre. What exactly is so difficult about doing a Flash picture?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Star Wars isn't released in November. Box office history in that part of the year is stacked against Justice League, as it is being released in an awkward time for a major tentpole film, and domestically the weekends bookending Thanksgiving are not traditionally major blockbuster moviegoing weekends, as they're usually travel time for most people. WB is banking on carving out a new viable release date location on the calendar with this, and I really don't know if Justice League is the movie to do that. On top of that it only has four weekends before Star Wars takes over, and it's going to have to do absolute gangbusters in that month to make BvS money, let alone beyond that.

If the movie is good, and people are willing to go out of their way to see it multiple times (which was the case with Star Wars and Avengers), it could do it. If it isn't, it won't, and it's probably looking at Doctor Strange money. Beyond that you're counting on there not being any major storms in various parts of the country, especially the northeast, keeping people inside and not letting them go to the movies. There are tons of variables in play.

Someone mentioned in another of these threads how Guy Ritchie would be a great choice for The Flash. After rewatching his Holmes movies recently, I have to agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom