• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

MikeMyers

Well, when I first watched the series, I had a similar experience as you. I remember really enjoying the series, especially S, and then my enthusiasm dropped like a rock after starting SuperS. You might like Stars though, since it's kinda like S redux, but I actually didn't like S too much on my rewatches either because I began to notice stuff that I didn't notice originally, like what you said earlier about the school.

The manga is different, but it's more story-based, so I can't imagine you'd like it considering what you said about preferring the MOTW stuff. The Sailor V manga spinoff was kind of MOTW, though. There's also PGSM, the toku, but that has one has a mixed reception among fans.

cj_iwakura

Anyway here's a gif, get a load of this loser:

U3uDVM3.gif

I love Sailor Stars.

Pluto

Have any villain details been confirmed? It's the Death Busters for sure, right?
The cast has been announced, and Prof. Tomoe, Kaorinite, the Witches 5 etc. are all listed as new characters. But it's not like there was ever any doubt that it would be them, they announced it would be an adaptation of the Death busters arc months ago. ;)

Really like the character designs here! Probably won't watch it on the count of it being Crystal though.
That makes no sense, even if you disliked the first two arcs, there have been staff changes.

cj_iwakura

The cast has been announced, and Prof. Tomoe, Kaorinite, the Witches 5 etc. are all listed as new characters. But it's not like there was ever any doubt that it would be them, they announced it would be an adaptation of the Death busters arc months ago. ;)
Good, good.

tumblr_mhmwlz2jgG1rl7ak4o1_500.gif

We need a Tomoe OP title, Mike. Maybe 'She Blinded Me With Science!'?

Bladenic

Nooooo! :( Don't let the old DIC dub be your introduction to Sailor Moon, please stop while you still can, start over and watch either the sub or the Viz dub (which isn't that great either but at least complete).
The DIC dib heavily edits the show, changes dialog, drops entire episodes, replaces the music, you call it charm, I call it disrespecting the original version and having a low opinion of the audience because they're treated like morons, everything has to be spoon fed, reveals that were supposed to happen later in the season are revealed right at the start because fuck developing a story slowly.

What's not great about the VIZ dub? VA wise it's as close to perfect as a Sailor Moon is gonna get

Pluto

What's not great about the VIZ dub? VA wise it's as close to perfect as a Sailor Moon is gonna get
I should have said VIZ release, the dub is okay but the bad video quality ruins the release, that's inexcusable and that they don't even acknowledge their mistake is pathetic. It's telling that Madman in Australia took the dub but refused to use VIZ's video masters, those are low quality rubbish.

Bladenic

I should have said VIZ release, the dub is okay but the bad video quality ruins the release, that's inexcusable and that they don't even acknowledge their mistake is pathetic. It's telling that Madman in Australia took the dub but refused to use VIZ's video masters, those are low quality rubbish.

Oh that is definitely agreeable. A shame really.

Bladenic

So I finally finished up SuperS and started Stars. And I gotta say, regarding SuperS, I'm still dumbfounded that I never fixed the bug eyes Sailor Moon and CBM have in their transformation sequence. They kind of fixed it in the SuperS movie but not much.

MikeMyers

Kinda funny how the early episodes of Stars basically made SuperS feel entirely pointless. I did like the 6-episode finale of SuperS though.

tumblr_inline_o2tid0F7Os1tocqhz_500.gif

MikeMyers

Yeah, I liked the pairings they choose, and we finally got to see Saturn kick some ass. The climax of the arc felt like a cop-out, though.

tumblr_inline_o2mrl4tgAt1tocqhz_500.gif

Bladenic

Been watching Stars, it's fun. But I'll never understand wtf Takeuchi was thinking with "Star Gentle Uterus" like what??

Also started reading the manga finally!!! Read first two acts. I don't get why Crystal made Ami get brainwashed when she didn't in the manga or the OG anime. She's better than that.

MikeMyers

Don't recall Crystal doing that storyline. Thinking of PGSM perhaps?

Funny how many times brainwashing occurs in the series, regardless of medium.

tumblr_inline_o2x7lfVAgK1tocqhz_500.gif

Cheerilee

In the manga, Ami was being used as the poster-girl for the positive effects of the brainwashing study-disk, but she didn't use the disk herself because it gave her a headache. The monster was surprised that she had no hold over Ami, and while attacking Ami for it, Ami transformed because Luna called out for her to do it (Luna having known who Ami was the entire time, and having slipped her the transformation pen using the Sailor V arcade game).

The 90's anime was mostly the same (Ami refusing the disk due to headaches), but Luna didn't know who Ami was (and actually theorized to Usagi that Ami might be the villain), and when the monster tried to force the disk's energy onto her, Ami's own power pushed back, revealing the mark on her forehead, prompting Luna to pass her a transformation pen.

In Crystal, Luna knew who Ami was and slipped her the pen via the arcade machine (like in the manga). Then Ami swallowed the disk without question and got brainwashed instantly. She even let the monster take her transformation pen away, although she started following the pen like a zombie until Luna caused a distraction which helped zombie-Ami get it back. Then Ami just stood there, holding her pen like a zombie, until she was snapped out of her trance by watching a monster very slowly walk towards Sailor Moon (the sort of situation where cape boy normally throws a rose, but he doesn't do that in Crystal).

MikeMyers

I actually don't remember Crystal doing that, but then again, early Crystal is all kind of a blur to me since I didn't really start to enjoy it until the Black Moon arc. Now the wait for Infinite continues...

tumblr_inline_o2z8qy13HF1tocqhz_500.gif

Bladenic

Maybe this thread will stop being so dead with S3 of Crystal. We're also coming up on the end of Sailor Moon being put up on Hulu, although they still have the movies to put up and the dub.

What're the odds that S3 of Crystal will be astronomically better than the first 2? Me thinks those chances are low.

Amalthea

Banned
Not everything can be Star Wars or Marvel where every fart an actor passes on set gets 3 new threads and puts the existing ones on fire.

MikeMyers

Well, Season 3 is having a change in staff right? I guess that could go either way. At first I wasn't a fan of the designs this season since it kind of drifted away from Takeuchi's designs, but after thinking about it, I kinda warmed up to them because I didn't think the manga's designs translated well to the S1/S2 art direction.

Amalthea

Banned
Not that the mangas style couldn't be transfered to animation but it would've been at least an OVA or a well budgeted movie. For a Toei tv show the character designs were simply too complicated to animate well.

Curently the shows German dub is airing here and they use the touched up version despite being broadcast in SD. It makes a difference, it still looks stiff and uninspired but at least properly polished up.

Cheerilee

Maybe this thread will stop being so dead with S3 of Crystal. We're also coming up on the end of Sailor Moon being put up on Hulu, although they still have the movies to put up and the dub.
I wouldn't count on that having a huge effect, because there's a Sailor Moon Crystal |OT|.

Sailor Moon just can't pull together the same fanbase that it did when it had the biggest anime on American television, and it's manga provided the foundation for the biggest manga publisher in American history.

Naoko Takeuchi retired 20 years ago. Her legacy is running on cruise control. Sailor Moon Crystal isn't relevant to modern audiences and it's not going to restart anything, it's fanservice. The Kodansha USA manga rerelease was a nice remaster, and it's great that they finally released Sailor V, but it's just an echo of past glory. The 90's anime on Hulu is an enjoyable rerun that likely gets good ratings for now, but people have moved on. When this ride ends, it'll be time to shuffle back into the anime threads until the next 20-year reunion party comes together.

Which isn't to say that certain parties haven't made a pile of money on this Sailor Moon revival, I just don't see it having any lasting cultural impact. I suspect Japan recognized this years ago, which is why they organized it all to hit in a short time span. Go in hard, then get out.

What're the odds that S3 of Crystal will be astronomically better than the first 2? Me thinks those chances are low.

New director and new art style.

I mentioned the other day that they seemed to use Mercury's cloud cover as a substitute for a Tuxedo Mask rose throw (because he doesn't throw roses in Crystal), and that's the sort of thing that counts as a directorial fail, IMO. They want the "Tuxedo Mask moment" created by the 90's anime, but they can't have that because Crystal is supposed to be different, so they just cobble something together and fake it (damaging Ami's character in the process). I was very much annoyed by Crystal because it didn't seem to have it's own identity, it wanted to be the 90's anime, but it didn't want to be the 90's anime. It wanted to be the manga, but it didn't want to be the manga. It wanted to be unique, but it didn't want to be unique. It wanted to be a hybrid, but it didn't want to be a hybrid. Directing is not always obvious, but these sorts of failures subtly create a feeling of the show not being very good. A new director has the potential to dump everything that was bad about the directing, and replace it with not just competence, but greatness.

The other big complaint against Crystal (and I think the one most people fall back on when they can't seem to explain why Crystal feels "wrong") is the animation quality (specifically, the major failures). I don't think replicating Takeuchi's art was an attainable goal (at least not on Toei's webisode budget), so a simplification of the style could lead to a significant jump in the apparent quality of the animation. Rather than having the frazzled animators trying and failing to reach an impossible goal, give them something closer to their ability and let them do what they do best.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Crystal S3 could be everything that I wanted Crystal to be in the first place. Still plenty of chance for failure. I don't think we have near enough info to guess the odds, but I think we have room to hope.

MikeMyers

Anyone know the name of that musical piece that plays in Episode 100 right before Minako deflects the purple volleyball thing? It appears quite frequently during serious battle moments, but I can't seen to find the name for it.

Bladenic

Apparently it's airing on TV at 11 pm? Seems pretty late. But I wonder if the season will still be streamed worldwide like the first 2.

Bladenic

Does anyone know what episode Jupiter used Sparkling Wide Pressure by throwing it into the ground?

Also I'm reading the manga for the first time fully finally. I'm on Volume 4, and I had some thoughts that I probably forgot especially compared to Crystal. But lmao at "V-chan" instead of Minako-chan.

Pluto

Does anyone know what episode Jupiter used Sparkling Wide Pressure by throwing it into the ground?
I don't remember the episode's plot but it was used against an enemy that could sink into the ground ... one of Esmeraude's monsters perhaps? It feels like it was late R or early S but I could be totally wrong about that.

MikeMyers

I don't remember the episode's plot but it was used against an enemy that could sink into the ground ... one of Esmeraude's monsters perhaps? It feels like it was late R or early S but I could be totally wrong about that.

Okay now I know what we're talking about. It's Episode 81.

Bladenic

Thanks guys!

I do like the manga but there are definitely things I don't like versus the OG anime. On one hand, Usagi is far more capable on the whole. On the other, the parts where she gets crazy and jealous over Chibi-Usa are just as bad as in Crystal. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the Venus bias Takeuchi has, though I understand why she was so attached to the character.

In OG anime talk, the Usagi/Seiya date episode is probably one of the funniest in the whole series. Stars has actually been super enjoyable and lovely. In terms of rankings I'm not sure how I would rank except it's for sure way ahead of SuperS.

MikeMyers

Well Venus is meant to be leader of the Inner Senshi, so it makes sense she'd get a bigger role than the other Inners. The anime claims she is the leader, but they kinda obviously gave her role to Mars. PGSM Minako felt more like the Haruka of the show though.

tumblr_inline_o3jcooW69j1tocqhz_500.gif

SaintZ

In OG anime talk, the Usagi/Seiya date episode is probably one of the funniest in the whole series. Stars has actually been super enjoyable and lovely. In terms of rankings I'm not sure how I would rank except it's for sure way ahead of SuperS.
Dddd, poor Sailor Iron Mouse, she was my fave of the Animamates. The first 5 episodes of Stars is better than all SuperS tbh.
The anime claims she is the leader, but they kinda obviously gave her role to Mars. PGSM Minako felt more like the Haruka of the show though.
Didn't they mention it like once when she first appears? It was never mentioned again and she never really had a leader-like behavior after the first season lol. Minako only seemed to be stronger than Ami in the anime.

I really liked PGSM Minako until she was exposed as an hypocrite when she hadn't awoken her inner powers.

Bladenic

Poor Pluto, I feel like Dead Scream always missed or failed lmao. I liked how Setsuna just randomly popped up everywhere.

Also when was the last time Naru and Umino appeared? Kinda weird to not see them at least once at the new high school. Also if I were Naru, I would be pretty missed that my former bff Usagi dumped me for those new hos.

The episode with everyone at Usagi's house was great. Except I would gladly trade the three lights beside maybe Seiya for Pluto and especially Saturn.

Edit: omg at the gag at the beginning of 187. Minako keeps having heart eyes while everyone else is talking 😂😂

MikeMyers

Didn't they mention it like once when she first appears? It was never mentioned again and she never really had a leader-like behavior after the first season lol. Minako only seemed to be stronger than Ami in the anime.

Pluto also calls her the leader of the Senshi when they're teamed up in the early episodes of Stars.

tumblr_inline_o3pbf2HCLv1tocqhz_500.gif

Bladenic

Pluto also calls her the leader of the Senshi when they're teamed up in the early episodes of Stars.

tumblr_inline_o3pbf2HCLv1tocqhz_500.gif

I feel like you always bring this up. It seemed like nothing more than motivational talk. I mean, hello, even Venus is like "Me, A LEADER????"

Have we gotten any word of Season 3 of Crystal still airing on Hulu like the first 2, or are the differing dynamics of airing in Japan gonna affect that?

Pluto

Wasn't it already confirmed that it's airing weekly or was that a rumor?
But it's on tv in Japan this time, I can't see them doing only two episodes per month in that case.

Top Bottom