• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

Pluto

Doesn't say anything about being weekly, but yeah, I think you're right they probably wont do twice a month if it's on TV. I do hope it comes to Hulu or a similar service.
That would be great and it would make watching the show so much easier.

Hmm, would it be better if I made an OT2? I thought it'd be easier if there was just one Crystal thread.
I agree with you, one Crystal thread is easier, one general Sailor Moon thread and one for Crystal seems to be a good setup.

MikeMyers

So I added in the actors for the Outers and villains of the season, and I'll probably add info on where it airs (when we actually get that info). Anything else we should add? Should we do character profiles for the Outers, or is just the main 5 good enough?

MikeMyers

March 15th over in Japan, Happy Birthday Naoko Takeuchi!

Wonder if Togashi decided to bring back HxH as an excuse to get out of celebrating it, lol

Also the birthday of Jouji Shibue, best Mamoru!

tumblr_inline_o3yqochUiI1tocqhz_500.gif

CorvoSol

Once upon a time, a long time ago, I sat down to start a long running, much beloved anime series. I was impressed by the initial season of the show, how it managed to sort of play with old timey Super Robot concepts and the basic Monster of the Week formula in a way that was relevant, refreshing and engaging. It had characters who were flawed, human, and yet entertaining, dramatic and dynamic. Every battle was a curious case of seeing what the red, white, blue and yellow hero would have to fight next.

The season finale captivated and moved me, and the final showdown left me on the edge of my seat.

Then came the much lauded darker, grim, more serious act. The hero was faced with allies of negligible trustworthiness and questionable allegiance. A short-haired bitch caused infinite irritation. Ultimately the entire dour work left me a little less than impressed, even if some of the villains would be my favorites forever after.

Dread filled me, then, going into 'That' season. You know the one. The one nobody in the fandom likes. The one old hands on the forums on the internets will always so jadedly taunt neophytes with by saying 'good lucking getting through x.'

At first I felt this was wholly justified, as the season was off to an extremely off-beat, off-putting start. The focus on the new protagonist wasn't welcome, the absence of series favorites was a brown note, and the villains, once proud, majestic and terrifying were now little more than rapists and whackjob thugs.

But somewhere along the way I couldn't help but be endeared to the series. Sure, the sexual subtext left much to be asked about the writer, and sure, the scope and scheme seemed to be different from the preceding seasons, and undeniably the series was a slow burn, but something just clicked?

Whether or not it was quirky cast, the unexpected tightness of the themes or the remarkable amount of emotion conveyed through the most unlikely of cartoon characters, I couldn't help but root for the little show that everyone else seemed to hate.

I'm just not sure if I'm talking about ZZ Gundam or Sailor Moon SS anymore.

Super S is perhaps the most awkward moment for me as a fan of Sailor Moon, because I all but hated Super at times, yet I'm coming out of a season far more panned and, well, liking it infinitely more? Don't get me wrong, the series is extremely fetishistic, and the Amazon Trio's rapeyness grates the nerves, and the Amazonesses themselves aren't anywhere near as good as the Bitches 5 and Sailor Saturn, but like, it speaks to how much better Super S is that it has so much less going for it than S conceptually and still manages to be the better show?

It's no secret I don't like S very much. Haruka was overbearingly antagonistic, Michiru and Pluto were pointless cardboard characters who served no purpose at any point, aside from being enormous hypocrites. Sailor Saturn is the greatest disappointment in the series because god damn Hotaru had so much potential, and I can't even remember if one of the Witches was a secret twin or not anymore. The constant back and forth about the Messiah and Holy Grail never really seemed to coalesce into anything but a foregone conclusion, too.

Super S, on the other hand, manages to quickly establish that Chibi Usa is the focal character of the season, that her arc is about wanting to grow up and exploring the relationship with that desire and the concept of dreams. Dreams are a constant factor in the week-to-week of the show, and Chibiusa's chats with Pegasus help to keep their relevance to growing up on point. It helps to have a child wanting to learn more about her mother/sister/cousin/whatever's world, and it expands one of the characters most in need without fully shunting the scouts to the side the way S did.

Pegasus, awkward as he is, works best as Chibiusa's foil. In some ways he is wiser and more mature than her, but in others he is less aware, more childish, and their interplay helps to add some strength to their unusual relationship.

Above all I love how the show finally brings everything together in the final acts. The Amazonesses wanting to be children foreshadowing Neherenia herself wanting to never grow old. This hearkening back to the episode where Chibiusa and Usagi swap ages for a short while, tying the central heroines that much more closely to the villains they oppose.

Hell, I was even impressed at the reasoning for Mamoru being a useless piece of trash in the last act for a change.

At its heart I think SS is very much a coming of age story for Chibiusa. Its sort of awkward and uncomfortable to watch at times, but since those are both intimately part of growing up I feel compelled to accept them as a necessary part of the whole. The weird sexual subtext almost seems parcel to those hormone charged, mistake laden years as a kid blundering into adolescence.

I really didn't expect to like SS as much as I did, but like, as someone whose only memory of Sailor Moon coming into the franchise was hating Chibiusa, I can't really hate on a season that puts so much effort into developing her character.

MikeMyers

Yeah at first it just felt like the season had no proper direction to it, but I did like the 6-episode climax.

Also looking through your post history in this thread, it took you like 8 months to get through SuperS, lmao.

The next season is very similar to S, so I can't imagine you'd like it too much if you didn't like S, but I guess you'll find out for yourself.

blamite

I'm like halfway through SuperS right now and although the first pisode really threw me off it's so far turned out to be the absolute best? The monsters are great (ball family and ballet instructor marionette are super top-tier) and the Moons' reactions to them are always really funny, Diana so far seems to be functionally useless but cute, and Tuxedo Mask is more useless than ever but Mamoru is still really cool and I want him to have a spinoff show where he just has his normal life and occasionally the cats bother him to like solve mysteries or something. The episode plots are generally varied and interesting. Also the overall asthetic and tone and stuff is really weird in a way that probably shouldn't really work for me but does for some reason.

Also the second end credits song is. Fucking amazing?!

FcUHFLC.png

pictured: the real MVP

CorvoSol

I'm like halfway through SuperS right now and although the first pisode really threw me off it's so far turned out to be the absolute best? The monsters are great (ball family and ballet instructor marionette are super top-tier) and the Moons' reactions to them are always really funny, Diana so far seems to be functionally useless but cute, and Tuxedo Mask is more useless than ever but Mamoru is still really cool and I want him to have a spinoff show where he just has his normal life and occasionally the cats bother him to like solve mysteries or something. The episode plots are generally varied and interesting. Also the overall asthetic and tone and stuff is really weird in a way that probably shouldn't really work for me but does for some reason.

Also the second end credits song is. Fucking amazing?!

FcUHFLC.png

oh dude yeah the credits song is probably the best in the whole damn series.

And yeah it took me the better part of a year to finish Super S but like, I think that's cuz I slowed the fuck down on all the anime I was watching during college, haha

MikeMyers

Gonna start Stars now, I presume?

Tuxedo Mask is more useless than ever but Mamoru is still really cool and I want him to have a spinoff show where he just has his normal life and occasionally the cats bother him to like solve mysteries or something.

FcUHFLC.png

Heh, about two years ago a friend of mine went to a convention and Toru Furuya was talking about how he loved roles like Mamoru because he liked the idea of being loved by multiple women.

Pluto

oh god I have to start Stars, don't I?

The preview for the first episode already looked like ass
It's really not, the first arc of Sailor Stars is among the strongest in the entire series in my opinion, I can't say why because I'm not sure it's possible without going into spoiler territory. But it's good!

MikeMyers

I liked the mini-arc at the beginning of Stars, although the ending felt like a copout.

Gonna update the Crystal OP tomorrow. Can't believe the new season is almost here!

Bladenic

Not enough Nu Crystal impressions, what did y'all think??

And yeah Super S took me a while to finish (I was watching every 2 episodes religiously with Hulu but then stopped mid SS). The ending arc is great, so is the Stars first arc. Only thing is that
Nehelenia deserved to die. Not sorry bout it. Die bitch.

Cheerilee

Anyone ever play the PC-Engine game? It's an interactive game and I was watching some footage of it today. Looks interesting.

There were actually two. "Sailor Moon" and "Sailor Moon Collection".

The first one is a visual novel, and the second one is a collection of minigames.

I own the second one, while the first was on my "want" list for quite some time (kind of still is, but I sort of gave up). I've played neither.

MikeMyers

Well the one I'm referring to has this as the cover:
latest

Not enough Nu Crystal impressions, what did y'all think??

And yeah Super S took me a while to finish (I was watching every 2 episodes religiously with Hulu but then stopped mid SS). The ending arc is great, so is the Stars first arc. Only thing is that
Nehelenia deserved to die. Not sorry bout it. Die bitch.
Yeah, I liked the arc until the end. Really don't like how post-R Usagi was against killing.

Also, Crystal was good. Hopefully Toei can keep their shit together this time around.

Yeah, I liked the arc until the end. Really don't like how post-R Usagi was against killing.

I think it was intended to keep her in line as altruistic/hopeful, felt strained some times, but otherwise I was okay with it.

So...watched the finale on Hulu today. It was satisfying and after 2 years, I'm glad to finally reach this point, the whole Hulu run was a slow burn but it helped shape me into being fan of Sailor Moon (that and PGSM as well). Now to wait on WHEN they'll sub the movies and specials (Viz has been quiet on the dub too).

...kind of odd that Chibiusa didn't make some sort of an appearance in the finale though.

MikeMyers

Yeah, that whole thing with Chibiusa was odd, especially considering
doesn't she show up with Mamoru as an illusion
at one point?

Glad the entire series is on Hulu. I wonder if that streaming-exclusivity rumor is true? Would explain why it hasn't been aired on TV.

Yeah, that whole thing with Chibiusa was odd, especially considering
doesn't she show up with Mamoru as an illusion
at one point?

Glad the entire series is on Hulu. I wonder if that streaming-exclusivity rumor is true? Would explain why it hasn't been aired on TV.

yea, her last appearance is in Usagi's illusion in 198, after that nothing. I can forgive all the side characters that have disappeared, but the lack of at least a Chibiusa cameo in the finale was weird.

I think if it were to air on TV, it be through Toonami, but I imagine nothing has happened yet due to them probably wanting to use the new dub and Viz has yet to release anything past R right now...they've been awfully quiet on that, plus the status of subbing the movies/specials.

Also, I found it funny that the last two episodes were given a TV-MA rating...I know WHY, but funny nonetheless.

Zoe

What the hell, I put Sailor Moon Drops on my Nexus 6 which normally gets days on a single charge (haven't put it onto a network yet), but after installing the app the phone only lasts about 15 hours.

Uninstalled :(

MikeMyers

I haven't noticed anything different on my battery life. Then again I've only installed it and barely played it at all.

What Sailor Moon games have you guys played?

Pluto

I haven't noticed anything different on my battery life. Then again I've only installed it and barely played it at all.

What Sailor Moon games have you guys played?
A sidescrolling fighting game, I'm not sure which version, it was years ago but it was probably an early one because it only featured the original five senshi. I remember enjoying it quite a bit.

I also tried Another Story but that one drove me crazy, it's supposed to be good but I could never figure out which formations to use or how to give items to the senshi and constant battles were annoying, villains would pop up every eight steps. I guess it's just not my type of game.

MikeMyers

Was it on a SNES or Mega Drive? There was a SNES beat em up/sidescrolling fighter that covered the Dark Kingdom, and then was "ported" to Mega Drive, but the two games are quite different. There's also an arcade beat em up, but I haven't looked into that yet.

MikeMyers

Huh, well that's interesting.

Actually, come to think about it, I think the Saturn fighter was the first game I played on the system. Definitely not the height of its 2D prowess.

I hear those are good, but I've never seen them myself.

Anyway, for those interested, the Sailor Moon Funko Pop! figures have been popping up in stores over the past few days.

MikeMyers

I've been watching them recently. They're quite good!

And yeah, I saw some of the figures today actually:
f3IBAE4.jpg

But eh, don't really have any personal interest in them. :/

I was referring to these, which have started to pop up in stores recently. Hot Topic has a variant of Sailor Moon holding her Moonstick, and Luna has the bandages on her head.

I see other Sailor Moon merchandise all of the time, though. Mainly mini-figurines. I also saw some replicas of the items at the ThinkGeek store at the mall.

Razmos

I really want to see some back story for Uranus and Neptune. How they fell in love in the Moon Kingdom, how they awakened on earth, how they found each other again and fell in love.

It would be a pretty amazing story and I'm surprised it's never been done

MikeMyers

Well, I think there was an episode of Sailor Moon S where you see how Haruka became Uranus, but I don't think anything exists for everything else you mentioned.

I was referring to these, which have started to pop up in stores recently. Hot Topic has a variant of Sailor Moon holding her Moonstick, and Luna has the bandages on her head.

I see other Sailor Moon merchandise all of the time, though. Mainly mini-figurines. I also saw some replicas of the items at the ThinkGeek store at the mall.
Oh right. The Tuxedo Mask one looks pretty cool, but not a fan of the other designs.

MikeMyers

So I've been checking out the musicals, and I really liked the Sailor Stars one. It's got a solid class and a lot of great tracks.

Apparently there is one where Professor Tomoe teams up with Count Dracula. I gotta see that one.

Seeing used game stickers on borders pains me.

If it helps you feel better, the ones with those stickers belong to my younger brother and aren't mine. The only games there that are mine are the three at the top and the four on the bottom. The rest of my Xbox 360 games are in another part of the room. Those were just some that I was playing or planning to play recently.

cj_iwakura

If it helps you feel better, the ones with those stickers belong to my younger brother and aren't mine. The only games there that are mine are the three at the top and the four on the bottom. The rest of my Xbox 360 games are in another part of the room. Those were just some that I was playing or planning to play recently.

It does actually! One day he'll see the light.

Uh, for something topical, apparently this R&B artist is a fan and styled her hair after Chibi-Usa?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsNzPAOQEnE

Top Bottom