• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

truongt

Neo Member
I feel like i could be a little bitter at the moment but i feel as though the new anime, Sailor moon crystal has been a complete fail. With moment of the art seeming incomplete and the 3d transformation falling flat.

Bladenic

1. What episode is that car commercial from?

2. The movie being released in theaters is honestly so fucking cool. It's just awesome that decades later Sailor Moon is still popular enough to warrant that. Wish I could go see it but I'm sure it'll be very limited.

Anyway, I'm FINALLY finishing up Stars on Hulu. Episode 191 (the one with a video game contest) pretty much shows all the issues I have with the Stars season (minus the mini-arc at the beginning). I'll post thoughts on that later (this thread is dead anyway RIP).

MikeMyers

That's one of my favorite Stars episodes. Loved the Capcom & Sega references.

As for what episode that commercial is from. I'm pretty sure it's early Classic. I'll look into it.

cj_iwakura

1. What episode is that car commercial from?

2. The movie being released in theaters is honestly so fucking cool. It's just awesome that decades later Sailor Moon is still popular enough to warrant that. Wish I could go see it but I'm sure it'll be very limited.

Anyway, I'm FINALLY finishing up Stars on Hulu. Episode 191 (the one with a video game contest) pretty much shows all the issues I have with the Stars season (minus the mini-arc at the beginning). I'll post thoughts on that later (this thread is dead anyway RIP).

The roller coaster's about to begin. I love Stars because of how unabashedly silly it is(Mercury being revealed as a massive fangirl, all the yuri teasing with Usagi). It's like it's deconstructing tropes, and it's wonderful.

SaintZ

Crystal is getting a sequel officially.
The official website for the Sailor Moon franchise's 25th anniversary announced on Wednesday that a sequel is in the works for the Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal anime. More details will be announced later.

The website also announced that the original 1990s Sailor Moon television anime will receive its first Blu-ray Disc release in Japan. The first of two 23-episode volumes of the first anime series' Blu-ray Collection will go on sale on June 14, and the second will go on sale on August 9. The transfer will be an high-definition "upconversion" of the standard-definition material. The initial release will have a deluxe cover sleeve.

The staff plans to continue the Blu-ray release with Sailor Moon R and three movies.
We're no longer celebrating the 20th anniversary of SM!!!

news_xlarge_SM25_14.jpg

Oh and Luna is coming to Monster Hunter

monhan_add.png

Zoe

God dammit, they're re-releasing the manga again. Edit2: Actually, sounds like the artbooks! Nice!

Edit: Too cute!
cUGCQ4t.jpg

Bladenic

Was wondering when they would announce S4. S3 was better but still not great. Not expecting much from S4 either but who am I kidding I'll watch it of course.

ShyMel

I'm so excited for the new season of Crystal. I was planning on going to one of the nearby showings of Sailor Moon R, but the only showings I could go to are the evening ones and I don't like driving at night that much.

Pluto

Wondering if the BD release of the original will be as awful as the international release.
Don't say "international" as if it wasn't just VIZ. ;) They ruined the quality all by themselves.

The japanese HD version is also an upscale but was competently done, it already aired on tv over there.

I can't wait for season 4, season 3 was awesome and in the manga the dream arc is even better so I have high hopes for the new season.

Cheerilee

I wonder what sports Usagi even likes?

We saw Minako play Volleyball, and Ami play Chess.

I don't think she's into sports at all.

Unexpected talent for frisbee (Oh, this game works just like the Moon Tiara? I can do that in my sleep). She's great at it and finds it enjoyable. Doesn't care to do it more than just the once.

She likes videogames though.

cj_iwakura

I don't think she's into sports at all.

Unexpected talent for frisbee (Oh, this game works just like the Moon Tiara? I can do that in my sleep). She's great at it and finds it enjoyable. Doesn't care to do it more than just the once.

She likes videogames though.
Ami's clearly pro though.

Bladenic

I wonder what sports Usagi even likes?

We saw Minako play Volleyball, and Ami play Chess.

Ami is a swimmer too. Don't think I recall any sport themed episodes for either Makoto or Rei.

Usagi likes video games and manga, don't think any sports fall under her interests.

MikeMyers

Well Judo counts as a sport right? Guess that would count for Makoto and Haruka, as well as Haruka liking racing.

Seems like Usagi, Chibiusa, Setsuna, and Hotaru just aren't into any sports.

MikeMyers

I noticed a lot of Miko characters are into archery. Wonder if it's a cultural part of the Shinto religion?

And yeah that I forgot about that Ice Skating episode! Actually we do see Usagi play tennis in that one Classic episode.

Bladenic

LMAO yeah totally forgot about the ice skating. It was basically a one-off but her talent/gracefulness was used in Oak Evolution.

Meesh

Just wanted to share with some of you, recently in Calgary, Alberta, Canada I went to the theatre to see Sailor Moon R. Brought back a lot of good memories lol. But holy moon princess was it cheesy!! I think it may have something to do with maybe a retranslation? I honestly don't remember it being so laughable before...

Cool part of the showing was an interview with some of the cast and a Sailor Moon short before the presentation. At the end the audience received little black envelopes with random Sailor Scout "post cards" and adverts for the Blu-ray release. Overall it was a great night and the theatre was packed!!!

Bladenic

I had forgotten how hard the Starlights were shilled in Stars. And unlike the inner/outer senshi, the Starlights received TWO completely different transformation and two different attack animations. Repulsive.

cj_iwakura

I had forgotten how hard the Starlights were shilled in Stars. And unlike the inner/outer senshi, the Starlights received TWO completely different transformation and two different attack animations. Repulsive.

And Seiya gets to mack on at least two different Senshi. Cumulatively, the Starlights get like four.

MikeMyers

The anime is now 25 years
and one week
old!

Just wanted to share with some of you, recently in Calgary, Alberta, Canada I went to the theatre to see Sailor Moon R. Brought back a lot of good memories lol. But holy moon princess was it cheesy!! I think it may have something to do with maybe a retranslation? I honestly don't remember it being so laughable before...

Cool part of the showing was an interview with some of the cast and a Sailor Moon short before the presentation. At the end the audience received little black envelopes with random Sailor Scout "post cards" and adverts for the Blu-ray release. Overall it was a great night and the theatre was packed!!!
Might have to do with the new dub. I remember having a similar reaction when I tried the Viz dub. Just wasn't used to it.

Yeah, the last season was basically all about the Starlights. Hell, it is literally just called Sailor Stars...

Bladenic

It's a shame because Stars could've focused some more on Pluto and Saturn, but instead Pluto makes a single appearance outside of the beginning and end of Stars and Saturn makes none. So annoying.

MikeMyers

One thing I'll say about Stars is that the "Search for your Love" song does bring back a lot of memories.

Might have to due with how much it was played during the season. :p

Top Bottom