• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

MikeMyers

I watched the first episode of Star vs the Forces of Evil. Kind of felt like watching an Adult Swim-parody of Sailor Moon, heh.

MikeMyers

latest

Happy Birthday!

MikeMyers

Haha nice.

Never thought about looking up her video game roles. I see she's also Christie in the DOA games, which is kind of surprising. Also, the narrator in Shining Force CD?

cj_iwakura

Haha nice.

Never thought about looking up her video game roles. I see she's also Christie in the DOA games, which is kind of surprising. Also, the narrator in Shining Force CD?

She has a TON of range. She was also Excel in Excel Saga, even parodying herself at one point(the Sailor Moon parody).

MikeMyers

Sailor Stars made its Hulu debut today, meaning its the first time the series has had an official release in the US.

Not a big fan of that season, but I guess it is something.

MikeMyers

I think the dub is still on R, lol. To be fair having to dub Crystal as well is probably slowing things down.

Also, I saw this and thought of you:

tumblr_inline_nzb9arugCV1qggr3k_500.png

SaintZ

Y'all is anybody playing the Sailor Moon mobile game? I've been obsessed with it since December even if it's just a Candy Crush clone. The art of the game is really cute and I like that they have events like Pokémon Shuffle. Get into it tbh cause i need friends in the game

Bladenic

I admit I've stopped watching at about episode 160. Not sure if fatigued or Suoer S just sucks (it's probably my least favorite). I do wanna get to Stars though. Not really feeling like watching Crystal dubbed since they're the same VAs. I'll watch Crystal S3 though, even though I'm not expecting much (though isn't there a new character designer? Designs look nice in that key art).

MikeMyers

Yeah SuperS can be dull. I only liked the climax and Stars I only really liked the miniarc at the beginning.

I'll look into that mobile game.

Zoe

Damn, I wish I had known about that game when I was in Japan. Guess I'll have to twist the bf's arm to set up the VPN...

Ayumi

Damn, I wish I had known about that game when I was in Japan. Guess I'll have to twist the bf's arm to set up the VPN...
Don't quote me on this, but I think iTunes require a Japanese payment method for registration. If I remember correctly, I had to go to the konbini and buy one of those iTunes cards.

Maybe they changed it now though! You can easily check if you sign out of iTunes, then click the bottom flag and choose Japan, then fill out fake info. :3

Dunno about Google Play though!

Zoe

Don't quote me on this, but I think iTunes require a Japanese payment method for registration. If I remember correctly, I had to go to the konbini and buy one of those iTunes cards.

Maybe they changed it now though! You can easily check if you sign out of iTunes, then click the bottom flag and choose Japan, then fill out fake info. :3

I already have Japanese iTune, so I'm good there, but I wanted it on my Nexus phone, not my iPad...

MikeMyers

It'd have been nice if we had gotten more games back in the days outside of mediocre fighters. The beat 'em ups weren't too bad, though.

SaintZ

You can make a Japanese iTunes account without a credit card, this this tutorial shows you how. It has changed a bit but I don't know ANY japanese and was able to make it so I'm sure most people won't have a problem. Here's a tutorial for doing the same in the Google Play Store. I don't know how well it works though.

Zoe

Oh, I see. :<

Would that work with a VPN only? I haven't used Android since like.. 2010. :x

I'm hoping so! I created a Japanese Google account to get Line Music (which is still working so far), but now that I'm back in the States, I can't get to region-blocked apps on the store >_<

SaintZ

Does the game cost money or is it f2p? Kinda interested in trying it out for the hell of it.
It's f2p like Candy Crush. You have to wait half hour for 1 heart to refill (you don't lose hearts if you sucessfully complete a stage tho).

My ID is da520df if anyone wants to add me.

MikeMyers

Another Story for the SNES? I played a bit of it, but never really found the time to completely invest in it.

Though, I'd love if we got a fighter done by Treasure, the company who did the YYH fighter for Mega Drive and Bleach fighter for DS.

Ayumi

I'm hoping so! I created a Japanese Google account to get Line Music (which is still working so far), but now that I'm back in the States, I can't get to region-blocked apps on the store >_<
Btw, there's ONE Sailor Moon stamp on LINE. If you add Softbank's official account as a friend you can see it. The package is called MOON RIBAR.

Was really hoping we'd get a package of only SM stamps, but I guess not....

So much potential in the 90s faces.

Bladenic

If we're talking dream Sailor Moon video games, a SM game done by Bandai Namco in the same style as Tales with cel-shading and action combat would end my existence

MikeMyers

Yeah, cel-shaded would be interesting.

I like the Mega Drive beat 'em up, but it lacks the co-op of the Super Nintendo version. If only their was a version that plays like the Mega Drive version but has the co-op of the Super Nintendo version. :/

:O It's sooooo cute and very entertaining hahaha. Kinda wish I knew how to read japanese since it would make some of this stuff easier to understand

Zoe

Btw, there's ONE Sailor Moon stamp on LINE. If you add Softbank's official account as a friend you can see it. The package is called MOON RIBAR.

Was really hoping we'd get a package of only SM stamps, but I guess not....

So much potential in the 90s faces.

It's not letting me get the stamp pack. Been playing around with a VPN to get these and the game, but no luck :(

Guess I'll have to sideload the app...

Ayumi

It's not letting me get the stamp pack. Been playing around with a VPN to get these and the game, but no luck :(

Guess I'll have to sideload the app...
Have you tried from PC?

If you can add Softbank, maybe try getting the pack from store.line.me?

Zoe

Have you tried from PC?

If you can add Softbank, maybe try getting the pack from store.line.me?

Can't use the web store unless I register a phone.

I think I do need to register a credit card in order to get the game properly... might end up finding a way to get a V-preca since I'm kinda liking Line Music too.

MikeMyers

Nice tracks! Still need to pick up the Saturn fighter, just hoping I can find them at a reasonable price.

Speaking of which, I do recall an episode in Stars when they were playing Street Fighter and Fighting Vipers. I think it was those two games.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
So I figured I'd post here.

I started watching this show for the first time recently. My friend (a fellow GAFfer by the name of coopermidnight) and I have been hanging out 1-2 times a week and watching various anime/live-action shows together for five years and counting... well, he -- like many of my fellow Americans in their 20s and 30s -- caught a bit of Sailor Moon as a kid. He suggested we add it to our queue, since I'd somehow never watched any of it.

We're up to about the twelfth episode now, I think. I really enjoy it. We're suckers for "bad" dubs, and there's a lot of charm on display in this one.

I might post again sporadically to offer thoughts. Right now I really like Serena; apparently a lot of people think she's a crybaby, and I get that, but it's all good fun to me. Molly's VA has got to be the most laughably inconsistent delivery I've seen in ages; one moment she's Aussie, the next she's from the cast of The Nanny. I love it.

Jadeite (Jeddite? Spelling?) almost got hit by a plane. That was pretty hardcore. >_>

Pluto

we're up to about the twelfth episode now, I think. I really enjoy it. We're suckers for "bad" dubs, and there's a lot of charm on display in this one.
Nooooo! :( Don't let the old DIC dub be your introduction to Sailor Moon, please stop while you still can, start over and watch either the sub or the Viz dub (which isn't that great either but at least complete).
The DIC dib heavily edits the show, changes dialog, drops entire episodes, replaces the music, you call it charm, I call it disrespecting the original version and having a low opinion of the audience because they're treated like morons, everything has to be spoon fed, reveals that were supposed to happen later in the season are revealed right at the start because fuck developing a story slowly.

blamite

Haha, I also started watching the old anime recently (subbed), after watching One Punch Man on Hulu I noticed they had a ton of other anime and decided to check it out to kind of fill in a 90's pop culture blindspot, and I was kind of surprised that I actually really loved it. I skimmed a bit of the old dub out of curiosity and I could barely tolerate it. More than the VAs, what annoyed me most was the replaced music (the originals are so good... whyyyyyy ;_;), and the editing/scene transitions. Just awful. :lol

I've been blowing through episodes pretty fast maybe too fast, like I started watching maybe 6 weeks ago and I just finished S the other day... It was definitely the best season so far, but like every season, when it got to the real story-focused stuff I kind of zoned out. The monster of the week/"filler" episodes where the characters get to interact a lot are easily the best part of the show to me so all the exposition about the moon kingdom and the future or whatever doesn't really do much for me. I like how pretty much eveery character is a huge loser but everyone still gets to make fun of Usagi.

What really bugged me about S more than anything else is that the season starts by setting up the entrance exams like they're going to be the big climax of the season, most of the episodes involve the group having a study session but it just... never... goes anywhere... like, the seasons pass, I think it's summer at some point in the season, later everyone is back at school and like??? they just dropped the hole thing like a reverse Chekhov's Gun??? Boo.

Then I watched the first episode of Super S and it just didn't grab me at all. Stuff was just kind of happening, nobody really knows hat's going on, Chibi-Usa is probably going to be driving a lot of the plot... eh. I think I'll come back to it eventually but I'm probably gonna take a break from the show for a while.

Anyway here's a gif, get a load of this loser:

U3uDVM3.gif

Top Bottom