• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

Thanks.

I do play the Sega Megadrive beat-em-up. Love that game. Do we know who developed it?
http://segaretro.org/Bishoujo_Senshi_Sailor_Moon

Supposedly Arc System Works with another developer named TNS. It was published by Ma-Ba.

I've mentioned it before, but I actually own a copy of it, as well as the first Super Famicom game. The MegaDrive one is so much better...at least as a single player game. It lacks multiplayer like the Super Famicom and arcade games do.

MikeMyers

I think you showed me a picture of it?

Yeah it's a great beat-em-up. I also dug the Power Rangers beat em up on the Megadrive, as well as Golden Axe & Streets of Rage.

MikeMyers

Drove 2 hours for this:

11794459_10204938299876950_627834992877727986_o.jpg

Now I just need the Action Replay cart and the Sailor Moon game.

been trying to make note of all the pop culture anime out there and this one looks like it doesn't have too many episodes so i might give the series a shot soon. is this show better subbed or dubbed? i usually prefer the former but not sure where to look for the older ones.

CorvoSol

been trying to make note of all the pop culture anime out there and this one looks like it doesn't have too many episodes so i might give the series a shot soon. is this show better subbed or dubbed? i usually prefer the former but not sure where to look for the older ones.

Sailor Moon has 200 episodes and like, 5 movies

Cheerilee

The old dub has a certain value to a number of people (myself included) because it was how they were introduced to the show, but it came at the pinnacle of a dark time in anime dubs, and the subtitled version is clearly superior (and I say this as a fan of the old dub).

If you like subs, that's great, because that's the best version, but if you're looking to understand the "pop culture experience" you might actually want to look into the bad old dub, because it has significant cultural reach. I think I would suggest watching the subbed version first though (because you're more likely to enjoy it). So your first stop should be Hulu (as linked above).

Viz is currently working on a new dub, and it's not bad, but it's kind of bland. It's mostly there for people who want an uncensored experience, but need a dub/can't be bothered to read subtitles. And I don't think that's at all what you're looking for.

Conan-san

To be fair, 'Serena' flatly noting that this dork who's been making a pest of himself being Tux this whole time is perfectly in character (and a pretty funny beat) for DiC Sailor Moon.

It's just not Sailor Moon as intended nor is it particularly well acted out. I'm sure if someone Stephanie Sheh to do it in her Usagi voice she'd pull it off fine.

Though given what that is these days, a Shin-Chan Level punch-up might be be the only thing to make SMC worth a damn.

MikeMyers

The original series has 46 episodes, but it has 4 sequel series - R, S, SuperS, and Stars that cumulative to 200 episodes. Quite a time investment.

The new series, Sailor Moon Crystal, is set to be closer to the manga and is 26 episodes, but only covers the first two manga arcs.

MikeMyers

Have you seen recent Toei productions? SMC was actually better than a bunch of those, there wasn't a single moment in Crystal that was as bad as Dragonball Super episode 5 (I think it was 5 ...) for example.
I didn't think that Dragon Ball episode looked as bad as everyone else thought. It's a TV Show, so I didn't go in with the idea that it will look as good as a movie that aired in theaters.

Cheerilee

Madman Entertainment said:
The season 1 release will be based on the video masters used in the European release of Sailor Moon and will also feature the brand new English dub newly created and available for the first time uncut. In addition the original Japanese audio track with English subtitles will also be available as a language option on the same release.

Madman knows what they're doing.

MikeMyers

Congrats.

Since the thread was inactive throughout all of September, I never bothered to change it. Maybe it's time to get a Michiru-themed title?

Hey, man, there were, like...a whole two posts in September!

Anyway, I saw this at a ThinkGeek store that opened at mall nearby a few days ago:

I've also been seeing more Sailor Moon figurines and other stuff pop up at stores more often. I didn't take pictures of any of the other stuff, though. Sorry. I mostly took pictures of the DC, Marvel, and Star Wars stuff. Hah.

Amalthea

Banned

Pluto

I guess Michiru might be too bland to come up with something original. :/
I like Michiru but thinking about her I think I like her more as part of the Uranus/Neptune pairing and as part of the outer senshi, on her own she's kind of a bland character like you said.
I remember when she was paired with Mars during the Nehellenia arc in Sailor Stars. Mars was insecure and felt inadequate compared to her, she was stressed and panicked when she thought her skirt was in fire. Neptune remained calm the entire time, saw right through the illusion, she was perfect and thinking about it, she's always like that, even outside of being a soldier. She plays the violine like a pro, she's intelligent and brave and her only flaw is that she didn't believe in Usagi right away and I can't even blame her for that because from an outsider's perspetive Usagi really is not much more than a lazy, binge eating doofus with a really big gun.

MikeMyers

Yeah, a shame she never got much development. I loved her design and attacks.

Seems like the Outers kinda got shafted in the anime outside of Haruka.

Top Bottom