• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

Bladenic

Random, but anyone know why Sparkling Wide Pressure is called what it is? I can understand the sparkling, but the rest? The original dub's Jupiter Thunderclap Zap makes more sense.

UberTag

So did anyone talk about the Viz casting choices for the main players in Sailor Moon S and the rest of the R dub on Hulu?
I love that they got Christine Marie Cabanos to voice Hotaru.
Adored her Chiaki delivery in Danganronpa 2 and have to imagine her skills will translate favorably here as well... yup yup.

Cheerilee

Any one pick up the SM R Bluray yet?

Not me, but apparently it still has quality issues (which will likely never get solved).

6AmiSWA.jpg

eGbTe83.jpg

c-murph

Not me, but apparently it still has quality issues (which will likely never get solved).

Well, it really shouldn't look like shit but it is a 20+ year old cartoon toon. I mean, if it was going to make them bank I could see them putting a large amount of effort into it. But I don't think it really is. Probably more just a quick cash grab.

Zoe

Well, it really shouldn't look like shit but it is a 20+ year old cartoon toon. I mean, if it was going to make them bank I could see them putting a large amount of effort into it. But I don't think it really is. Probably more just a quick cash grab.

The issue is that a better quality version does exist. Toei just didn't start releasing it in Japan until after Viz started their versions.

Cheerilee

The issue is that a better quality version does exist. Toei just didn't start releasing it in Japan until after Viz started their versions.

The Japanese HD version looks better. The Japanese DVDs looked better. The .mkv fansubs looked better. ADV's broken DVD release looked better. The laserdiscs looked better. And I'm pretty sure even my old VHS fansubs looked better.

And it's all the more unacceptable because Viz claimed to have access to the Beta tapes that were used to make the Japanese DVDs, and claimed that there was enough detail there that DVD couldn't even contain all the quality, that they could do better than the Japanese DVD. That it needed Blu ray.

Turns out, Viz/Toei's masters were shit, and Viz had to smother the picture with enough digital filters just to make a substandard DVD. Or just as likely, the masters were just fine, but Viz's incompetence in trying to create HD using vaseline ended up with something beneath DVD.

And even if we bite the bullet and accept that the DVDs are screwed, and the Blu ray upscales are a "bonus feature", it would've made more sense to include 20 year old technology as a bonus feature. CD, not Blu ray. They're going to throw 20 Blu rays at this project by the time it's done, and they're basically worthless. Your Blu ray player can upconvert the DVDs about as well as Viz's upscale filters can. The Memorial Song Box and Memorial Music Box (which combined include just about every bit of music in the series) came on only 16 CDs, and have never been available for legal purchase in America. And then, since it's the digital age and they're streaming the show on Hulu, they could toss the mp3s on iTunes for a buck apiece and make a killing. Or how about if they included an SH Figuarts figure in each LE box (ten of them by the time the series is done)? They could actually afford to do that, and make money, with the premium they're charging for the Blu ray.

Conan-san

I've said it before, if the releases get to Stars all that will mean is the inevitable rip that's available on NT will have access to an english dub to go with the SMC footage.

The fact that Madman (Australia) is unwilling to release Sailor Moon with what Viz is giving them, to the point that they have actively suspended the physical release (any maybe even the digital release, I can't quite mind) speaks volumes.

CorvoSol

Sailor Moon Super S 136

The pegasus is a pedophile, yeah? And at the end of this series I'm going to find out it was the villain all along and the scouts are gonna thrash it and this entire series is actually Ikuhara warning little girls about pedophiles, right?

CUZ OTHERWISE THE HORSE GETTING A HARDON FROM A TOPLESS LITTLE GIRL IS WILDLY INAPPROPRIATE, RIGHT?

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon Super S 136

The pegasus is a pedophile, yeah? And at the end of this series I'm going to find out it was the villain all along and the scouts are gonna thrash it and this entire series is actually Ikuhara warning little girls about pedophiles, right?

CUZ OTHERWISE THE HORSE GETTING A HARDON FROM A TOPLESS LITTLE GIRL IS WILDLY INAPPROPRIATE, RIGHT?

Yeah, the Pegasus storyline is really weird. Even stranger that everyone wonders who has Pegasus in their dream, when Chibiusa is summoning him in front of everyone in every episode.

I've seen a lot of people say Toei removed a lot of Ikuhara's creative control during SuperS, but I haven't actually seen a valid source for it. SuperS feels a lot closer to S than the Black Moon portion of R does.

CorvoSol

Yeah, the Pegasus storyline is really weird. Even stranger that everyone wonders who has Pegasus in their dream, when Chibiusa is summoning him in front of everyone in every episode.

I've seen a lot of people say Toei removed a lot of Ikuhara's creative control during SuperS, but I haven't actually seen a valid source for it. SuperS feels a lot closer to S than the Black Moon portion of R does.

I'd be more upset by this if it wasn't obvious that Tiger's Eye's only real interest is in raping older women.

MikeMyers

There's probably something going over my head here but doesn't Tigers Eye target young females while Hawk's Eye targets older females and Fisheye targets men?

Pluto

I got the first box of Sailor Stars of the german DVD release, I can't believe it's almost finished, seems like yesterday they released the first set.

I think it looks great on the shelf, I'm a sucker for matching spines where everything lines up. The front covers are not bad but I wish all the main senshi had gotten one ... well, at least Pluto was represented and the Black Lady cover wasn't too bad either. Still wish they would have done group pictures instead of single characters only.

The sets are awesome overall, very sturdy cardboard boxes with digipacks that feature more art. Everyone who didn't make a cover at least got a spot there. Too many releases nowadays are just regular amarays in a flimsy cardboard sleeve, not a fan of those.

I'd post more pictures of the sets but I don't want to flood the thread ... or maybe I want to, I'm just too lazy right now to take more pictures, I have to get some sleep.

Pluto

Depends, there are two video tracks on each disc, the old tv masters for the german dub including the german opening credits etc. and the remastered japanese version with german subs (hardsubs, I'm not bothered by that but some people definitely are). The japanese masters are good, not as good as the italian version (that seems to be the best one world wide) but on par with the japanese DVDs.
The old german tv masters definitely show their age but they are still way better than what VIZ released in america ( which is really sad all things considered), their was a lot of discussion in the german community about using the old masters instead of adding the german language track to the remastered versions. Personally I like what they did, watching the german episodes exactly like they aired on tv all those years ago adds to the nostalgia but your mileage may vary on that.

The two video tracks don't hurt the quality, there are 3-4 episodes on each individual disc i.e. 6-8 because each one is included twice, those fit easily.

And I decided to take a lot of pictures of the sets, I'll edit them into this post. :D

Sailor Moon

Sailor Moon R

Sailor Moon S

Sailor Moon SuperS

Sailor Moon Sailor Stars (first half only)

Edit 2:
Here are some screenshots I took back when the first set was released, top german tv master, middle german remaster, bottom japanese remaster.

image0bkq3.jpg

imagez3j0r.jpg

imagep3kwm.jpg

And here are screenshots I took a year ago comparing the japanese and german DVDs to Viz's Bluray:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136987378&postcount=3919

CorvoSol

Meet Usagi Yojimbo. After a magical encounter with a special animal she transformed from an everyday high school student to a super heroine. Despite this, for the first season her life was pretty grounded by her cast of vibrant-despite-mundane friends.

There was her nerdy, plainish best friend with a wealthy single parent.

Most people agree she was the best character of those early years, and her unexplained absence later on was the greatest of hurts.

There was also the bespectacled boy with the big crush on her who was secretly hot. Sadly, his was an ill-fated crush, and he and the best friend would wind up more-or-less together in a storyline that would generate controversy.

And there was the smokin' hot guy she fell in love with, but who never really contributed to the fights and was secretly hated by the writers to the point of uselessness if not antagonism.

For the first season Sailor Moon was this really basic, but good, show about a teenager trying to balance her life as a super hero with her social life, and her life suffering as a result.

Things got a little weird in the second season when help came to her from the future

and she kept having to put up with cryptic non-help from manipulative assholes whose allegiance was dubious at best.

For the most part, though, it was still really good. Yojimbo-kun learned she was part of something greater and overcame an alien menace with a weird penchant for the color black.

In the third season, though, Sailor Moon fell apart with the introduction of two belligerents of ambiguous sexuality. All that was really clear was that they didn't like Yojimbo-chan.

They were mostly obsessed with killing off a little girl who probably had access to super powers and definitely had a fucked up dad.

But I mean, at least it still mostly had an idea going for it. The fourth season got weird and nobody likes to talk about how it was this strange combination of fetishes and replacing the heroine with a younger lookalike.

And I haven't seen it yet but I hear tell the final season was about Yousaggy hanging out with a band of weirdos in black leather

MikeMyers

Amazing.

Though I'm not really sure if the anime staff really did hate Mamoru beyond a certain Ikuhara interview where he says he was joking anyway.

Is Sailor Moon Crystal a good way to see if I may like the series even if the art doesn't look great? Those ADV uncut DVD sets are too pricey for something I am unsure whether I'll like it or not.

MikeMyers

The ADV DVD's are apparently bad. Hulu has both Sailor Moon animes if you wanna try the series.

So, cj_iwakura, the SuperS game on Sega Saturn, should I bite or not?

Top Bottom