• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row Demo in stores now!

MMaRsu

Banned

VALIS

johnjohnson said:
When was the demo expected to be on the marketplace?

August 1, if I remember.

HomShaBom said:
There's barely any peds in the streets.

First hand reports from people with the demo (like SolidSnakeX, for instance) claim there are plenty of peds in the streets. I was worried about that, too, but supposedly it's fine.

MMaRsu

Banned
Here is an impression from another forum :)

Okay, you guys can call me your official savior.

Went to ToysRUs in Times Square (it's a madhouse! it's like a zoo...only there are kids instead of chimpanzees) took me 20 minutes to find an available person, asked a worker, and viola! Saints Row demo.

Now for the extras.

The trailer sucks. It's like they show the whole game in slowdown. The theme and pics are good, and they are free, the best part.
I didn't watch the interview yet, so I can't say.

Now for the real meat and potatoes: the game

I only completed 2 missions. I've been basically experimenting with the game. (i.e: explodng cars 100 times) and I gotta say: the physics are SICK!!! (yep, better than Full Auto's)
The parts literally explode all over the place. Tires, bumpers, everything! Also, if you standnear the car after it explodes, you catch on fire. (since the car is on fire) and the animation is hilarious. It's only a couple seconds, but LEAGUES better than GTA's.
Car handling is very good. It feels quasi Full Auto/PGR3. Its impressive, especially for a free-roam game. 10x better than Driv3r, or True Crime. It has a great sence of speed, so you don't feel like you're driving Grandma's old Beetle when you're driving a Porshe.

Combat is pretty good, and amazingly good for a sandbox game. You can right jab, left jab, and kick. (I always kick since I always get a kick from the animations. Corny, aint it?) It works really well. Stabing annimations suck, tho. Baseball bat is where it's at. It gives you a nice 'whack' feeling when hitting it.
Shooting is just like The Punisher without the bullet-time. (which the developer happened to make) It really works well. I did a fair amount of headshots and it's real easy to get the hang of. Car shooting is just like Full Auto with alot less spunk. It's good, but it gets some time to get used to.

One thing that has irritated me with every game in existence is that no one EVER falls out of a car through the windshield. Guess what? In Saint's Row you can. It's hilarious when it happens, too. Kinda cartoonish, but you can't help but to laugh when you ram someone and the guy flies out of the car yelling 'Ahhhhhh!!!' Oh, that brings me to the game's surprising attraction: Humor.

It's sicker then GTA:San Andreas will ever be. They are straight out about it.. (No double meanings. A guy will say' Argh. Now I'm gonna be late to the stripper club!'')
I luvv it. I can't say all of the little lines, but they are dark humor, and it's all real great stuff. I didn't expect that all.

To those who want to know: There are drugs and alcohol in the game. I don't know how helpful they are, but each has it's own thing to them. (ike booze will make the screen blury)

You can eat in the game also. didn't try it yet, but I ate this dead guy's candybar. (yes, they drop money, weapons, AND FOOD!) (also there is a fast food esturant in the game)

You can swim in the same, but it's used just to make sure you don't drown. You can't jump or anything when swimming, but you can press Y to go on land. I don't know why it works like that,, but at least you don't drown...

The demo has only 2 radio stations, and there's like only one song in each and they are crap. I won't judge it by that because it's obviously limited by the demo.

One reeely nice touch is that if you pass by the car, you hear the music playing! Sick stuff...
The demo is pretty big. It's about 1/2 the size of Staunton Island, which is pretty big for a demo. I'd say that the game is AT LEAST 2.5x the size of Vice City. It looks like a really big metropolis. I love it. (and there's also a nice portion of the map that seems shaded out or some reason. Either it was cut form the game or you have to explore the game to get to it.)

The story seems pretty good so far. It actually looks surprisingly engaging. It's no San Andreas, but it's better than True Crime. (dragon kung-fu detective levels. WTF?!?!)

The city itself is very much alive and full of pedestrians.
I just love eavesdropping on pedestrians. Also a nice touch is tat when you shoot a gun, people will react diffrently. Some will run at full speed, some will stare, some will cheer on, and the rest will run on their own pace. What I mean by 'own pace' is that the person, while running might trip, might waggle their arms wildly, and for women, might run in a stereotypical fashion. (i.e: very girlish)
Also, random stuff happens all the time, like a guy will run over pedestrians all the time.
People actially read newspapers in the game. Yep, an actual article. lolll
Also you'll enconter funny quirky pedestrians. (i.e: there was this old grandma walking crippled, so I shot her, and she started to attacking me ruthlessly! Funny sh!t)

In the game, you'll hear cursing ALOT. (like all the time)

I reeely nice touch: Dead pedestrians don't disappear. (though cars do)
There are plenty of cars in the game as well. I never once found a hard time finding one. One thing to point out: Drivers are VERY aggressive..almost New York agressive. (almost) They won't wait forever to steal a car like GTA. It you don't steal it with like 4 seconds, they'll just go around you.

Draw-distance is amazingly good for a Sandmox game. It's not FarCry, but it beats the hell out of Oblivion (pop-up grass FTW) No pop-up whatsoever, which is why I made the Oblivion comparison.

If it wouldn't be for the 3 big following complaints, I'd rate this better than GRAW...but here goes the bad:

Framerate: In-game, it's not so bad. Kinda like Oblivion. What is really bad is cutscenes. Have you ever played Advent Rising before? Remember the really low framerate cutscenes? THAT bad. i hope it's just the demo, but it really takes away from the game. Also, no cutscene sinking with the audio. (there is a couple of second gap) Like I said, it's probably the demo, ut something to watch for when it ships.

Police Warrent Meter: Maybe it's because i don't know how it works too well, but it seems like it's like Simpsons:Hit & Run, which is definetally NOT a good thing. It takes a while for a cop to catch you. Then AFTER you kill the police officer, more cops might not come back if no cop cars come to pass you within the next couple minutes. I never got into a chase sequence once in playing this game for 2 hours, and I ran over ALOT of people. If someone has an explanation why this happens, please say so because it bugging me out like crazy.

Health meter: Look, For COD2 and Halo, regenerating health rules, but in a GTA-type game, it kinda makkes you invincible as long as you stay away from your enemies for long enough.

If it wouldn't be for these 3 major quibbles, I'd give the demo a 10, but now I'd settle for an 8. I just hope the game isn't affected too much from the problems mentioned above.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Framerate: In-game, it's not so bad. Kinda like Oblivion

for a game where you walk around, maybe OK. For a game where you drive around in a car, I'm not so sure. I am sure I'm getting bored with slow frame rate games though.

I'm eager to try this as I hated the GTA games - just couldn't get past the dodgy aiming etc, but the whole 'sandbox' thing is interesting.

hopefully the demo being available means it'll be online or in the official magazine soon enough.

This has turned out pretty good... esp for a demo.

I reckon there's about 6-8 hours of play to be had just with this!

I agree with much of what's been said. The lack of pop-up is impressive and the physics are too. Just wait until you have a head on collision and the other driver flies through the windscreen, and then through yours, landing on the passenger seat and being carried around by you as you continue with the madness!

There are loads of hidden jokes too. I found some dude reading a gay mag with a picture of a naked torso on it, and he tries to hide it when you approach...

And by the looks of the map, this game dwarfs even San Andreas, and bearing in mind that's is all pretty much open for exploration from the word go, I can see this being quite an overwhelming title.

If you like sandbox/crime titles, you're gonna love this... whether or not it's better than San Andreas in relative terms is largely irrelevant. As the only HD/360 equivalent, it's really, really good.

Apart from the humour/storyline, it's not that original an idea. But who cares? It's still well worth playing.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
This game is not GTA therefore it must suck.

Well that's what I was told!!!!!

I'm real interested to see if this turns in to a console seller... also is there gonna be TV advertising? If it has come together as good as the demo comments seem to indicate, it's gotta have a TV commercial budget... doesn't it?

wow

these impressions are really tempting me to go out and slap down a preorder for the demo :)

one thing I'm really loving about this title is its sense of humor and qausi-tongue and cheek approach

GTA pulled it off
True Crime failed
Saints Row looks to pull it off again

Tieno

mrklaw said:
I'm eager to try this as I hated the GTA games - just couldn't get past the dodgy aiming etc, but the whole 'sandbox' thing is interesting.
For me too. I like sandbox games and I respect GTA and all, but I just can't get past the horrible control issues. If the demo is released to Marketplace and it has good controls I'll probably get it.

Tieno said:
For me too. I like sandbox games and I respect GTA and all, but I just can't get past the horrible control issues. If the demo is released to Marketplace and it has good controls I'll probably get it.

The shooting/aiming's going to be a subjective thing... it works differently to GTA, so some will inevitably have issues with it. But the driving controls and handling is awesome, and the drive-bys work much better than GTA (you can even accidentally shoot the guy in the passenger seat next to you!)

DarienA said:

Ok

You don't need to switch camera angles sideways so that you end up crashing into lamposts... you can shoot backwards, forwards and everywhere in-between...

But most importantly, like I mentioned, you can cap the dude sat next to you...

Just my opinion though, I happened to find GTA drivebys really awkward to unleash.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Nathan Barley said:
Ok

You don't need to switch camera angles sideways so that you end up crashing into lamposts... you can shoot backwards, forwards and everywhere in-between...

Just my opinion though, I happened to find GTA drivebys really awkward to unleash.

What do you use to do a drive by? The other joystick?

Double D

I just want to let everyone know that, from my experience, it seems only Toys R Us has this demo right now. Also, Toys R Us does NOT have the preorder slip, so you may need to haggle. I went to Toys R Us and asked the guy if he had it, and he had to call the manager over in order to get permission. I just told the guy that I'd buy the thing if I had to. So, he charged me 10 bucks and said that if I bring back my receipt once they had the preorder slips, that money would go towards the retail version.

eshwaaz

Vik_Vaughn said:
I just want to let everyone know that, from my experience, it seems only Toys R Us has this demo right now. Also, Toys R Us does NOT have the preorder slip, so you may need to haggle. I went to Toys R Us and asked the guy if he had it, and he had to call the manager over in order to get permission. I just told the guy that I'd buy the thing if I had to. So, he charged me 10 bucks and said that if I bring back my receipt once they had the preorder slips, that money would go towards the retail version.

Hm, I don't really want to pre-pay at Toys R Us. Has anyone else found the demo at other stores - Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.?

Also, it seems pretty lame to me that the demo will have been available in stores for 2 weeks before you can download it from the Marketplace. I know they're going for the pre-orders, but it's still damned irritating.

MMaRsu

Banned
Can anyone tell me more about the police in the demo? Are they really non agressive?

God im so pissed they don't have the demo in Holland ( or on marketplace for that matter )

Double D

That sucks, man. When I called the other stores, they said they hadn't gotten them yet, so I'm sure they'll be all over the place within the next week or so.

MMaRsu said:
Can anyone tell me more about the police in the demo? Are they really non agressive?

I've only been able to get up to 2 stars in the demo (I guess that'sa ll you can get in it) and yah they really aren't that agressive then.

Liquid

Banned
i've been having a blast with the demo just crashing into stuff. I dont know what the framerate was in the GTA series but the framerate in the demo is way smoother than gta ever was.

Viddie

This is one of my most anticipated games for awhile, i'm very tempted to go put $10 down though i wont have to buy it.

Liquid

Banned
i'm gonna say, athough this shouldnt have any weight due to it being a DEMO the story is eh. The GTA series just has good storytelling. Gameplay wise though? GTA but better. The controls are awesome, aiming is easy and the missions work just like GTA. Graphically? one word. WOW. Being a GTA fan i'd have to say and i've said it many times the feel of GTA 3 kills the other 3 3d versions because the city just has a connected city feel to it. Saints has that same vibe. The city and layout just feel right. Even in this small portion. Everything is solid. yeah theres some fading in of objects but it doesnt distract much and the framerate is smooth. very smooth. i'd almost say how were any of the GTA games running at 30 if saints looks like it does? One of my favorite things in GTA were things you'd hear on the street that would just make you laugh. They ripped it off pretty well in saints. :lol i heard a "as if my car wasnt f'd up enough already" after i slammed into someone :lol just little things the peds say. the physics is what makes the game shin though. GTA was already awesome fun for causing mayhem but in saints? WOW. parts fly off explosions, the explosions look amazing, the ragdoll is sweet and just crashing into stuff....people, other cars, bus benches it all feels perfect and looks amazing while you're doing it. I cant wait to buy the full game and have fun with a rocket launcher.

Master Z

Sounds like Saint's Row is going to be a great "tide me over" sandbox game until GTA IV comes along. Still going to rent first though...just in case.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Damn those impressions sounded HOT... the fact that there are so much little things in the game, even more than GTA from what I just read, just made my expectations rise even MORE!!!

And as I always felt, the physics are making a HUGE impact - awesome!

can anyone who played it at E3 confirm if it's the same demo? I'm kinda hoping that the marketplace is more updated and has a few framerate issues sorted out (blow up the gas station near Freckle Bitch's and look at the flame effects to see it really dip, lol). In general though, it's no worse than GTA.

still a fun demo.

oh yeah, one of the songs on the radio station is Rakim's "I Ain't No Joke", so people posting negative music impressions better not be referring to that :D (the other ones I heard are wu-tang, black sheep, which are cool)

JB1981

Game looks like it has the best physics so far on 360. Have you guys seen the vid where the guy derails the train with a grenade? Awesome stuff.

artist

Banned
Nathan Barley said:
Ok

No thats a fact, drive bys in GTA sucked balls.

From the impresions it seems this game is GTA without the GTA name. I knew it was like GTA, but I didn't know it WAS GTA. Is there anything different about the game besides a few moves, is there some hook to this game other than being a direct GTA clone.

MiamiWesker said:
From the impresions it seems this game is GTA without the GTA name. I knew it was like GTA, but I didn't know it WAS GTA. Is there anything different about the game besides a few moves, is there some hook to this game other than being a direct GTA clone.

Physics, online play, better controls and better graphics.

Those are the four that do it for me!

Online play is not really a main Selling point for me considering the target Demographic for this game.:lol Although playing with GAF ppl is always fun.

soul creator said:
oh yeah, one of the songs on the radio station is Rakim's "I Ain't No Joke", so people posting negative music impressions better not be referring to that :D (the other ones I heard are wu-tang, black sheep, which are cool)

86_1.jpg

Haven't come across any demos yet here in Winnipeg, Canada. Any canadians having any luck finding it?

Wu-Tang Clan? Black Sheep? Ohhhh yeaaaaah!

Francias Castiglione said:
Physics, online play, better controls and better graphics.

Those are the four that do it for me!

Ah, I forgot about the online play. Physics is a good one, better graphics is a given, better controls can help but there have been games like GTA with better controls that were not better.

Those are good but I was looking more for something like is it focused more on gunplay? Is it supposed to be more or less realistic?

Top Bottom