• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row Demo in stores now!

Double D

I went home for lunch and played for about an hour, so I'll post some things I noticed in the game.

-There is a plastic surgeon you can go to and completely change the look of your character (same UI as the create a character at the beginning).

-The clothing store is available in the demo, and there were actually a decent amount of options. It appears that there is a meter that rates how much "gang related" clothing you are wearing. Basically, if you wear a bunch of purple stuff, the meter will raise.

-The cars are awesome. I've already seen a pretty good variety of vehicles, and I'm sure there will be plenty more in the retail version. They all have great detail and they just look awesome. I've already driven a few cars with spinner wheels, which really make good use of the physics engine. Also little things, like stuff hanging from the rearview use the physics engine also.

-I went to the convenient store and bought a 40 oz, Gin and Juice, and some bubbly. I also bought a Spliff, a Blunt, and a Bong. I took a rip off the bong (full animation included) the screen got hazy and I carried on with my carjacking while stoned. I forgot to try the other stuff.

Overall the game is a blast. So far I think I like every aspect of this game better than GTA, with the exception of the story, which isn't bad, it's just that we're comparing it to GTA here. The story seems to actually be taking a more serious approach, as opposed to the humor found in GTA.

I'll post more if I can think of anything else you guys might like to know. Also, feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

MMaRsu

Banned
Vik_Vaughn said:
-awesome impression-

How do you 'recruit' gang members? I once saw a vid that you could actually call your homies up, but haven't seen it since!

And also, send me a copy :lol

Double D

You recruit gang members by pressing up on the d-pad. As you build rep (I think that's what they're calling it in this game) you get the ability to recruit more and more gang members. Also, I played a mission that requires you to go steal ho's from neighborhood pimps and return them to a pimp that originally sent you on the mission. Doing this also increases your rep and, in turn, gives you access to more missions

EDIT: Maynerd - the demo seems to be available at Toys R Us right now. At least in the US. Read my post on the first page on how I had to haggle with the guy

PhatSaqs

Banned
Vik_Vaughn said:
I also bought a Spliff, a Blunt, and a Bong. I took a rip off the bong (full animation included) the screen got hazy and I carried on with my carjacking while stoned.
GOTY confirmed.

Double D

Not sure if this is posted or not, but there is no time limit. There is a proximity limit, though. Also, if you keep playing through the missions you can "finish" the demo, and it kicks you out. I'd recommend going through the first few missions in order to get access to better weapons, then start screwing around.

Double D

Chiggs said:
I have to admit, this thread is getting me excited for the game.

It should be. 24 hours ago I had no intentions of buying this game. After playing the demo I'd say this is a system seller.

AZ Greg

I want this demo! All the stores I went to thought I was crazy when I asked and only knew of a DVD that you get when you come and pick the game up. :(

Guess I'll have to wait for OXM or Marketplace.

Vik_Vaughn said:
It should be. 24 hours ago I had no intentions of buying this game. After playing the demo I'd say this is a system seller.

Your impressions make the game sound quite spectacular, but I can't understand why it got such a lukewarm reception at E3.

MMaRsu

Banned
AZ Greg said:
I want this demo! All the stores I went to thought I was crazy when I asked and only knew of a DVD that you get when you come and pick the game up. :(

Guess I'll have to wait for OXM or Marketplace.

When is the OXM demo released?

maynerd

Banned
Vik_Vaughn said:
EDIT: Maynerd - the demo seems to be available at Toys R Us right now. At least in the US. Read my post on the first page on how I had to haggle with the guy

Sounds like a bit of a pain in the ass. I'll wait then.

Anyone know what the online component will consist of?

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
My Toys R Us has the demo but the bitch told me she cant do preoders on it yet. Though she did say she has had a TON of calls about it today.

Double D

maynerd said:
Sounds like a bit of a pain in the ass. I'll wait then.

Anyone know what the online component will consist of?

IGN had a pretty good article explaining all the multiplayer modes, but I can't link you right now since I'm at work, and IGN's blocked.

MMaRsu

Banned
God I hate MS, I swear they just mailed this to me saying SR demo is out on Marketplace :(

ARGH.jpg

Which ofcourse isn't.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I wish I did not open this thread it makes me want the game and demo so damn bad. The local toysrus closed a few weeks ago so I am SoL till august damn it.

Core407

Banned
Vik_Vaughn said:
I went home for lunch and played for about an hour, so I'll post some things I noticed in the game.

-There is a plastic surgeon you can go to and completely change the look of your character (same UI as the create a character at the beginning).

-The clothing store is available in the demo, and there were actually a decent amount of options. It appears that there is a meter that rates how much "gang related" clothing you are wearing. Basically, if you wear a bunch of purple stuff, the meter will raise.

-The cars are awesome. I've already seen a pretty good variety of vehicles, and I'm sure there will be plenty more in the retail version. They all have great detail and they just look awesome. I've already driven a few cars with spinner wheels, which really make good use of the physics engine. Also little things, like stuff hanging from the rearview use the physics engine also.

-I went to the convenient store and bought a 40 oz, Gin and Juice, and some bubbly. I also bought a Spliff, a Blunt, and a Bong. I took a rip off the bong (full animation included) the screen got hazy and I carried on with my carjacking while stoned. I forgot to try the other stuff.

Overall the game is a blast. So far I think I like every aspect of this game better than GTA, with the exception of the story, which isn't bad, it's just that we're comparing it to GTA here. The story seems to actually be taking a more serious approach, as opposed to the humor found in GTA.

I'll post more if I can think of anything else you guys might like to know. Also, feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

NICE

Favre4435 said:
My Toys R Us has the demo but the bitch told me she cant do preoders on it yet. Though she did say she has had a TON of calls about it today.

Same thing happened to me. Heading back tomorrow I guess.

pr0cs

ultra gratuitous violence - check
hookers and possibly the clubbing of hookers - check
guns, clubs, knives and other weaponry usable on pedestrians - check
drugs, alcohol and the ability for the player to use them - check
extreme profanity - check
vehicles and manslaughter created by vehicles - check

yes, the media and game haters are going to have a field day with this one.

Thankfully all of the checks are things I'm interested in.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Ok , So I called Toys R Us again and they said yeah we have the discs but we cant give them out. Then she said, "I dont think we are even going to be able to carry this game due to the graphicnicity of it. Its pretty gnarly." When does the new OXM come out?

quest

Not Banned from OT
Favre4435 said:
Ok , So I called Toys R Us again and they said yeah we have the discs but we cant give them out. Then she said, "I dont think we are even going to be able to carry this game due to the graphicnicity of it. Its pretty gnarly." When does the new OXM come out?

I kinda hope that is true and the media gets a hold of the story because it will make people want the game even more. That would be the ultimate pub for a unknown game like this.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
IAmNude said:
We've already had a thread about this

Ok, now that you posted this I will go back and find the old thread and only post there. Thank you so much for your update Captain Internet.

MMaRsu

Banned
Favre4435 said:
Ok, now that you posted this I will go back and find the old thread and only post there. Thank you so much for your update Captain Internet.

:lol

And I searched, there isn't .

eshwaaz

Vik_Vaughn said:
I also bought a Spliff, a Blunt, and a Bong. I took a rip off the bong (full animation included) the screen got hazy and I carried on with my carjacking while stoned.

Glad to see drug use is finally getting some respect in games. Good call, Volition.

IAmNude

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Listen Captain Internet, how is that thread specifically about the demo beeing out in stores, and for posting impressions.

Also I searched for threads about this, and there isn't one.

People has 2 1/2 pages in that thread about the demo and talking about it. Also, the title say media. Demos are media

IAmNude said:
People has 2 1/2 pages in that thread about the demo and talking about it. Also, the title say media. Demos are media

sorry man you lost this round give the guy a break. Media i usally think screens or movies.

maynerd

Banned
IAmNude said:

You need to chill. Media to me means video/pics not demo.

fartblast

Banned
IAmNude said:
And derail trains. It's established guys. It's a killer app

in the online mode i wanna have my friend derail a train and have it fly over my head as i rip a fat bowl of the streets finest

IAmNude

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
sorry man you lost this round give the guy a break. Media i usally think screens or movies.

Fine. You still should look at the thread if you care about the game. Not just suddenly look at this thread because it says demo

Fusebox

Banned
Vik_Vaughn said:
I took a rip off the bong (full animation included) the screen got hazy and I carried on with my carjacking while stoned. I forgot to try the other stuff.

Wicked, sounds they really nailed the stoned effect! :D

-Rogue5-

flarkminator said:
Your clever attempt might have worked had we not already started getting impressions of the demo.

The demo will be mine tomorrow... I'll know for sure then. But seriously though, how can you be super pumped for this game? If you've played the demo, in your honest opinion, how does it (just the demo) compare to any of the GTA games? Even if it's "only" as good as GTA:SA, that's still disappointing (seeing as how GTA can be had by all on the weakest current gen system)... It's like Shane Bettenhausen's whole argument about VP1 for PSP on this weeks 1up; is it worth paying full retail price (which is $20 more than current gen stuff) for what is, essentially, a clone?

(by the way, I'm seriously asking those who've played the demo... From your impressions of the demo, is it worth $59 even though you can get GTALCS for $20?)

Top Bottom