• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row Demo in stores now!

puebla

Liquid said:
One of my favorite things in GTA were things you'd hear on the street that would just make you laugh. They ripped it off pretty well in saints. :lol i heard a "as if my car wasnt f'd up enough already" after i slammed into someone :lol just little things the peds say.

Vik Vaughn said:
I went to the convenient store and bought a 40 oz, Gin and Juice, and some bubbly. I also bought a Spliff, a Blunt, and a Bong. I took a rip off the bong (full animation included) the screen got hazy and I carried on with my carjacking while stoned. I forgot to try the other stuff.
:lol man, this game sounds dope as f uck.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Went to EB today and asked about the demo. The manage said atleast 20 people had either called or come by asking about it. All he knows is that he is supposed to get them some time this week.

X26

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
Well, I'd think that most of the haters are PS3-only folk...so what will they say once the inevitable PS3 edition is announced?

So disliking a 360 exclusive autmatically makes you a sony fanboy? You xbots are retarded

White Man

Is this going to be on Marketplace at any point? Going to a Gameplop is such an embarassing experience. If salespeople acted like that in any other establishment that didn't sell games, the customers simply wouldn't stand for it. Why game stores? When I go buy DVDs, I'm not bombarded with anime geeks.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
White Man said:
Is this going to be on Marketplace at any point? Going to a Gameplop is such an embarassing experience. If salespeople acted like that in any other establishment that didn't sell games, the customers simply wouldn't stand for it. Why game stores? When I go buy DVDs, I'm not bombarded with anime geeks.

I believe a demo's planned for early August. Others may know the actual date.

White Man said:

August 1st.

IAmNude

Banned
White Man said:

August 1st

mikeGFG

Banned
Huzzah, no timer in the demo. I'll be dicking around that city for a long, long time (or until the game is sub $50) :)

Well from that demo video, looks like there is going to be some VERY impressive scripted action happening during the missions. That shot where the car slammed into the other car on fire, sending it hurling through the air into the water made me gasp!

GAY FOR SAINTS ROW

X26 said:
So disliking a 360 exclusive autmatically makes you a sony fanboy? You xbots are retarded
No. I was talking about those who are hating on the game just because its only on one system at the moment. Note, I said most in my statement. I thought I could say that without some fool getting 'retarded' about it, but I guess not.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
well looks like im waiting for august 1st -_-

i will find a way to hate this game! you watch!

Core407

Banned
For those who have seen the game map and played the game - how much content do you expect to see in the final version? Also, how is the replayability? Is the A.I. decent enough or are they morons. Also, how do the cops react to you and crimes and all that jazz.

Core407 said:
For those who have seen the game map and played the game - how much content do you expect to see in the final version? Also, how is the replayability? Is the A.I. decent enough or are they morons. Also, how do the cops react to you and crimes and all that jazz.

I haven't played the demo (hell I don't even own a 360 yet) but from what I have read of multiplayer and seen from the demos & various vids floating around, the game will have HUGE replayability.

The main thing I'm concerned with now is difficulty. It looks a little too easy, but that might just be because we've only been seeing event versions of the game being demoed (possibly lighter difficulty) and because in the official demo, its at the start of the game; most first or initial levels of any game are relatively easy compared to the rest of the game (learning curve).

My previous biggest concern was gameplay, and that has been resolved total. Graphics look great, although they weren't that important to me. I'm still pleased that they're good.

IAmNude

Banned
sp0rsk said:
well looks like im waiting for august 1st -_-

i will find a way to hate this game! you watch!

If you subscribe to OXM the demo will be in the next issue that's coming very soon. Probably before the 1st.

Core407

Banned
aztrex said:
I haven't played the demo (hell I don't even own a 360 yet) but from what I have read of multiplayer and seen from the demos & various vids floating around, the game will have HUGE replayability.

The main thing I'm concerned with now is difficulty. It looks a little too easy, but that might just be because we've only been seeing event versions of the game being demoed (possibly lighter difficulty) and because in the official demo, its at the start of the game; most first or initial levels of any game are relatively easy compared to the rest of the game (learning curve).

My previous biggest concern was gameplay, and that has been resolved total. Graphics look great, although they weren't that important to me. I'm still pleased that they're good.

Yes, gameplay is good, but I really would like to know about the AI. I really hope it's better than the ones we've seen in previous games in the genre, but I'm not expecting it.

One of my favorite things to do is to get a high wanted level and just let cops chase me and see if they're ever capable of catching up.

IAmNude

Banned
Core407 said:
One of my favorite things to do is to get a high wanted level and just let cops chase me and see if they're ever capable of catching up.

Me too. That's my most important feature in games like that.

Core407 said:
Yes, gameplay is good, but I really would like to know about the AI. I really hope it's better than the ones we've seen in previous games in the genre, but I'm not expecting it.

Sorry, forgot to comment on A.I.

If you watch that full-demo video posted above, on the first mission you go on after canonized, you can see that the guy he's shooting runs behind a tree for cover. Also, the mission on the docks, there are multiple times where the enemies are hiding behind objects (cars, polls, walls) and poking out from behind them, back again, shooting in spurts and ducking for cover. Also, I've seen many other videos where the cops exhibit interesting A.I. behaviour, like when you're moving towards them gun drawn, they'll walk backwards shooting, duck behind cars, etc. These things lead me to believe that there are some very intense battles ahead.

To comment on your cop chasing, I read in some impressions (forget where) that because of the game's in-car gun targeting, its possible to actually shoot the cop driving the cop car, thus temporarily ending the chase, until another one comes along. That wasn't possible in games before, you'd have to take the whole car out, not just the driver.

Core407

Banned
aztrex said:
Sorry, forgot to comment on A.I.

If you watch that full-demo video posted above, on the first mission you go on after canonized, you can see that the guy he's shooting runs behind a tree for cover. Also, the mission on the docks, there are multiple times where the enemies are hiding behind objects (cars, polls, walls) and poking out from behind them, back again, shooting in spurts and ducking for cover. Also, I've seen many other videos where the cops exhibit interesting A.I. behaviour, like when you're moving towards them gun drawn, they'll walk backwards shooting, duck behind cars, etc. These things lead me to believe that there are some very intense battles ahead.

To comment on your cop chasing, I read in some impressions (forget where) that because of the game's in-car gun targeting, its possible to actually shoot the cop driving the cop car, thus temporarily ending the chase, until another one comes along. That wasn't possible in games before, you'd have to take the whole car out, not just the driver.

Oh man that's great.

aztrex said:

Or you could just save yourself some time with a well place pipe bomb thrown from your car at the police car. ;)

Core407

Banned
Can anyone get a tracklisting up? I'm ****ing psyched for the soundtrack. I heard some & Eric B & Rakim Ghostface in the videos so far, which means a nice selection of REAL hiphop.

Core407 said:
Can anyone get a tracklisting up? I'm ****ing psyched for the soundtrack. I heard some EPMD & Ghostface in the videos so far, which means a nice selection of REAL hiphop.

David Banner - Saints Row
Sy Smith - Bounce Like my Checks
Ghostface Killah and Trife da God - Man Up
Daz Dillinger - Git Out My Way

Those are listed in the Music Tracks section.

Mathematics f/ Wu Tang Clan - The Spotlight

That's an in game song.

FightyF

Banned
I've predicted that this game would move consoles...do you think that could be the case?

I didn't say it was that great back then, I just said it has all the elements that would garner enough attention to sell consoles.

SnakeXs

krypt0nian said:
With the hands on love and the ebay frenzy, this could end up HUGE.

System seller?

If you go by the anecdotal evidence in this thread (eBay demo prices, store clerks saying they've gotten tons of calls), then sadly yes, it may just be.

SnakeXs said:
If you go by the anecdotal evidence in this thread (eBay demo prices, store clerks saying they've gotten tons of calls), then sadly yes, it may just be.

Why sadly? Because it's a ripoff of GTA?

SnakeXs

krypt0nian said:
Why sadly? Because it's a ripoff of GTA?

Yes, it's just my bitterness towards the GTA generation. I apologize, don't wanna start anything.

I ****ing hate GTA and the fact that it's what is seen as a "good game" these days. =[

SnakeXs said:
Yes, it's just my bitterness towards the GTA generation. I apologize, don't wanna start anything.

I ****ing hate GTA and the fact that it's what is seen as a "good game" these days. =[

Ahh that's cool. No big. :) I was just wondering.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Ehh.. I can understand why some people are excited about this game, but after watching that demo video I couldn't be any less interested. This is about as blatant as GTA rip-offs get. It's not doing anything new other than being slightly more "edgy" (a bit more swearing, a bit more drugs, etc). I can wait a year for the real thing.

Obviously this game isn't on radar (yet) for most people, but if word spreads, yeah, it'll be huge. The fact that it's the first game of this type on the 360 alone will help it immensely - if GTA4 was already out, this would probably not sell.

X26

Banned
While I haven't played it, I'll give my take based off the 30min demo video

It's shit. I really can't understand what all the fuss is about here. They took GTA:SA, ripped off countless elements, added in a few neat new features (the only real positives concerning SR), and left out countless others. It's a watered down San Andreas.

- Physics are a joke. The guy kicks people on the ground and they FLOAT 10ft away, vehicle physics seemed mediocre as well
- Graphics are poor
- City is a ghost town
- Game isn't nearly as good at being humorous as GTA, and infact seems to take itself too seriously

Now I liked the shooting, inventory system, character customization, and building access (how it's part of the game like in GTA:VC's ammunation and other various stores rather than GTA:SA ammunation, restaurants, etc. 'teleporting' system), but the bad seems to greatly outweigh the good. It might be a decent game, but defidently not some AAA, or even A, title worth drooling over. And frankly it's really dissapointing, sicne if SR was a great game it might actually serve as a nice kick in R*'s pants and force them to make GTA4 really amazing. Guess there's always Crackdown to look forward to.

/end rant

Top Bottom