• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row Demo in stores now!

Ryuuga

Banned
JB1981 said:
Man, I must be getting old. I just watched the opening of this game and it really put me off. I just found it reprehensible. I hope the game stores (and parents) do everything they can to keep kids away from this tripe.

:lol :lol

HelenLovejoy.jpg

"Will someone please think of the children?!"

eshwaaz

MightyHedgehog said:
I hate to say it, but this game's gonna really put voice chat banning and muting options to the test. If there wasn't a good enough reason for those punk-ass little 13-year olds to recite every single word in the curse and racial epithet dictionary through their headsets so far, this game will definitely get them going with the whole urban gangland theme. Private games for the win.

So very true. Despite the M rating on the box, ignorant parents are going to buy this game in droves for their far-too-young-to-play-it children, followed by public outrage as those same parents are "sickened and appalled" by the content. Just wait until the media gets wind of the ability to purchase and use multiple kinds of drugs. Hoo boy... it ain't gonna be pretty.

Well, I don't really care about the inevitable bullshit from 'concerned parents,' loud religious leaders, or politicians looking for another topic to ride higher on approval polls. Concerned parents should be more concerned about how they actually parent than some product that's advertised and rated pretty clearly on content. Screaming religious leaders and slick politicians are just looking for the next thing to bitch about and use to their advantage.

All I care about is what I'm going to be hearing through my headset when I'm trying to enjoy a game. Again, private games for the win...as well as the recent voice chat banning (based on a lot of negative feedback) and the good ol' mute function.

mrmyth

MightyHedgehog said:
Well, I don't really care about the inevitable bullshit from 'concerned parents,' loud religious leaders, or politicians looking for another topic to ride higher on approval polls.

People interested in this game better snag it at launch before the inevitable recall to remove offensive content. I might buy two copies so I can sell one for profit later.

Core407

Banned
After playing the Saints Row demo extensively, I can pretty much say now that Saints Row does most things better than any GTA has done before (Barring mission design/story line). Everything about it is so smooth in smart. The way the character automatically reloads the weapon when it's not in use is great and is just one less thing for me to worry about. The aiming is really well done and combat actually becomes an enjoyable element of the game, which isn't something GTA series can claim.

From goofing around, I've come up with a couple cool mini games, which should help extend the replability.

Game one: Jump onto a car, pull out a weapon and watch as the driver begins to speed up and drive recklessly. See how long you can stay on and try jumping onto other obstacles.

Game two: Run near the on ramp to one of the highways and start dodging the traffic.

Mission design/storyline is something you can't really evaluate without the whole game anyway. Hopefully it gets bigger and better as the Saints take the city! :D

Is there any extensive footage from the areas outside the demo? There were a few quick flashes of the skyscraper district in that Volition feature but that's all I've seen.

MMaRsu

Banned
Francias Castiglione said:
Mission design/storyline is something you can't really evaluate without the whole game anyway. Hopefully it gets bigger and better as the Saints take the city! :D

Is there any extensive footage from the areas outside the demo? There were a few quick flashes of the skyscraper district in that Volition feature but that's all I've seen.

Yeah i'd like to know as well :)

PhatSaqs

Banned
Local TRU tried to charge me 9 bucks that WOULD NOT go towards a pre-order for the demo.

I lold and said
bigemo_harabe_net-106.gif

I can hold out a couple weeks and get it for nothin.

mikeGFG

Banned
Ah, I feel so justified after being one of the only people to praise this game out of E3. :)

I really hope this game does really well. Volition did a fantastic job with the engine and the gameplay.

MMaRsu

Banned
PhatSaqs said:
Local TRU tried to charge me 9 bucks that WOULD NOT go towards a pre-order for the demo.

I lold and said
bigemo_harabe_net-106.gif

I can hold out a couple weeks and get it for nothin.

Damn I would have bought that straight away :eek: :(

But it's lame it doesn't go to the pre-order though :\

Mike G.E.D. said:
Ah, I feel so justified after being one of the only people to praise this game out of E3. :)

I really hope this game does really well. Volition did a fantastic job with the engine and the gameplay.

Yeah me too, I told all the haters to keep their eyes on this game but they wouldn't listen :lol . Some of em still say this is nothing but a bad GTA clone LOL.

Sh0k

Today I went back to my local Toys R Us and purchased the demo. They told me that as soon as they get the pre-order tickets, that they can discount the $10. from the final game.

I couldn't wait two more weeks to download it for free from the market place :-(

FlyinJ said:
So, does only Toys r' Us have this demo? Does bestbuy/eb have it?

I went to my local mom and pop store to pick up Valkyrie Profile, and they ended up giving me the demo for free. So it seems everyone has it pretty much. :)

spangler

The EB here in Gainesville, FL said that the bonus DVD popped up on the computers today and should be arriving in-store either tomorrow or Friday.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
theREBELins said:
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. ANYONE in Canada find this sucker yet?

Wicked, just took a peek at the activities:

Hostage

Hostage is not like most activities in that there is no set location to trigger it. Anytime you hijack a vehicle with a passenger, there is a chance that you can initiate hostage. If you choose to initiate the activity (an onscreen prompt will tell you when you can do so), your mission is to drive as fast as you can for a set duration. During this time your notoriety will steadily rise, and if you slow down for too long, your hostage will escape the vehicle. However, if you can keep your car moving for the set amount of time, your hostage will pay you to release them. More passengers in the car means the pay off is higher, but the duration you need to drive around for is also longer.

Man, this'll guarantee some kick ass cop chases!

theREBELins said:
Holy crapola, at the movie theatre you can go to watch unlocked cutscenes, and play any missions you've already completed. And for other cheat codes, you just keep note of any phone numbers you see around town and try em out (save before you try though, achievement whores!)

AWESOME.

AWE. SOME.

Things like these are the little things that are seriously making GTA seem bad... Rockstar better observe and learn, because in one go, Saint's Row seems to trump all of the GTA's together in one go, and possibly whatever ideas they have now...

The phone number cheat code thing is just another reason to comb the city to find every tooth and nail...

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Skilotonn said:
AWESOME.

AWE. SOME.

Things like these are the little things that are seriously making GTA seem bad... Rockstar better observe and learn, because in one go, Saint's Row seems to trump all of the GTA's together in one go, and possibly whatever ideas they have now...

The phone number cheat code thing is just another reason to comb the city to find every tooth and nail...
Uh, don't get ahead of yourself.

JCBossman

Banned
My intrest went from, Maybe Ill pick it up for 30 bucks to PRE-ORDER, I am afraid that after the inital batch, they are going to have to tone some elements down (Drug use/swearing) and I dont want a watered down version, I WANNA KILL the HATIANS!(Not for real, of course:) )

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
bishoptl said:
Uh, don't get ahead of yourself.

Well, it's the little things like this that really make a game shine, and GTA4 better have tons of additions and touches like this as well too...

At it's core, as in, gameplay-wise, GTA wasn't too hot, and after three games in a row, they still didn't fix it - Saint's Row has apparently fixed all of GTA's flaws on the first try... and core gameplay is important to me...

Skilotonn said:
Well, it's the little things like this that really make a game shine, and GTA4 better have tons of additions and touches like this as well too...

At it's core, as in, gameplay-wise, GTA wasn't too hot, and after three games in a row, they still didn't fix it - Saint's Row has apparently fixed all of GTA's flaws on the first try... and core gameplay is important to me...

ian.jpg

"I'll tell you the problem with Saints Row that you're using here: it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You saw what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of Rockstar to accomplish something as fast as you could and before you even knew what you had you patented it and packaged it and slapped it on a plastic xbox, and now you're selling it, you want to sell it!"

REV 09

Skilotonn said:

QFT

Skilotonn said:

Why wouldn't it? The reason Vice City or SA weren't GTA4 is because Rockstar didn't believe it was a big enough improvement. According to them they want GTA4 to be the same leap over GTA3 that 3 was over 2. So they're definetly going ot be ambitious with it.

Bluecondor

I subscribe to the Official XBox magazine, and to my surprise, the September issue arrived in my mailbox today - with the Saints Row demo disk included.

The demo is very impressive - as the world is highly-detailed and the gameplay is very easy to get into if you have every played the GTA series. I wasn't a fan of the missions, but, I am hoping that they get better with the full version of the game.

Morbo

ZombieSupaStar said:
ian.jpg

"I'll tell you the problem with Saints Row that you're using here: it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You saw what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of Rockstar to accomplish something as fast as you could and before you even knew what you had you patented it and packaged it and slapped it on a plastic xbox, and now you're selling it, you want to sell it!"

Brilliant.

MegaTen

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
ian.jpg

:lol I love JEff Goldblum.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
FYI - The EB near me just called to tell me the demo just came in. I would think EB's all over the country should have them as well.

ZombieSupaStar said:
ian.jpg

Brilliant indeed, though we're not talking about Dinosaur cloning here, Volition apparently decided to clone GTA without having to go through the trials and tribulations of creating a new game from scratch. If the game goes on to be a top seller, will they feel they have earned it? I just received my copy of EGM and in it there's a one page ad for Saint's Row and they're using a line from a Gamepro preview making an explicit reference to GTA and how Saint's Row is going to be better. I don't believe I've ever seen anything like this before - where's your pride and self-respect as a developer, Volition?

They're probably big fans of GTA and decided to not only capitalize on the game's design and its success, but also to fix and improve things that probably should have been improved and fixed by now. The multiplayer element is something that a lot of GTA players have wanted in the 3D games for a long time now...Volition's going to do it first and likely do well for good ol' THQ in the process. I do hope they go back to the sci-fi space shooter genre, though...I want some online Descent/Freespace action on a console.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
MightyHedgehog said:
They're probably big fans of GTA and decided to not only capitalize on the game's design and its success, but also to fix and improve things that probably should have been improved and fixed by now. The multiplayer element is something that a lot of GTA players have wanted in the 3D games for a long time now...Volition's going to do it first and likely do well for good ol' THQ in the process. I do hope they go back to the sci-fi space shooter genre, though...I want some online Descent/Freespace action on a console.

Technically didn't Liberty City Stories(PSP) already add multiplayer to the GTA 3D series first?

DarienA said:
Technically didn't Liberty City Stories(PSP) already add multiplayer to the GTA 3D series first?
Yeah, but that's on a disgusting handheld. **** that shit. I'm not dissing the PSP, but all handhelds. I dislike handheld gaming. I'm not the only one who wants multi-GTA (sandbox) action online on a console.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
ZombieSupaStar said:
ian.jpg

Nice - and true!

But it's well appreciated, because not only do we get a next-gen GTA game more than a year early with all of its core flaws fixed, but it forces Rockstar to atleast shoot to be better than Saint's Row, and that's a win for everybody...

To this day I'm still wondering how Take Two hasn't sued the hell out of Volition for this game, seriously...

SolidSnakex said:
Why wouldn't it? The reason Vice City or SA weren't GTA4 is because Rockstar didn't believe it was a big enough improvement. According to them they want GTA4 to be the same leap over GTA3 that 3 was over 2. So they're definetly going ot be ambitious with it.

I thought the reason why the follow-ups weren't labeled as 4 and onwards was because of the names of the cities from the games, Vice City and San Andreas, which were the big cities from the original GTA's...

Still, they could've atleast changed the aiming, I mean, it felt strange from day one... it didn't feel like how a 3rd person game should feel - and two games later, regardless of not being full-fledged sequels, they should have changed that... Volition acknowedged this, and got the job done right from the get-go, which is awesome - and not only that, they made so much little improvements that it feels like it'll play much better than GTA4, and we haven't even seen the thing yet...

I really don't see how Rockstar can top Saint's Row's control - I will be waiting to see though...

But that is good to hear atleast that they are being ambitious - I already had a positive reaction when hearing that they were gonna use the Table Tennis engine for GTA4 (how they are going to pull this off in a large scale game is beyond me)...

MMaRsu

Banned
Skilotonn said:
Nice - and true!

Still, they could've atleast changed the aiming, I mean, it felt strange from day one... it didn't feel like how a 3rd person game should feel - and two games later, regardless of not being full-fledged sequels, they should have changed that... Volition acknowedged this, and got the job done right from the get-go, which is awesome - and not only that, they made so much little improvements that it feels like it'll play much better than GTA4, and we haven't even seen the thing yet...

Dude did u post this somewhere else before? I swear to god I read this :lol

abc223_86

Ok, I don't post much here...
But where in the hell can I get this demo in the US?
I've freaking been to 3 EBs, a Gamestop and a Toys'R'Us

The TRU had it... But they can't give out the demo until I pick up the game :X
Wtf.

Core407

Banned
abc223_86 said:

Wtf.

TRU should give you the demo for preordering the game. Try complaining a lot...

It seems that the Demo's up on the German XBL Marketplace under special downloads. There are a couple of ppl on another forum saying so.

My Italian account doesn't show it :(

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
johnjohnson said:
It seems that the Demo's up on the German XBL Marketplace under special downloads. There are a couple of ppl on another forum saying so.

someone explain how we can get this!

MMaRsu

Banned
johnjohnson said:

What forum?

Source?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
abc223_86 said:

Wtf.

Try to hit EB today or tomorrow. The one near me just got there's this morning.

Francias Castiglione said:
Any verification on there or just one guy saying it?

A couple of guys say that they're downloading the demo right now. Maybe the same thing that happened to the Lost Planet Demo occurred here...

MMaRsu

Banned
johnjohnson said:
A couple of guys say that they're downloading the demo right now. Maybe the same thing that happened to the Lost Planet Demo occurred here...

Let them make a photo dude :p

Top Bottom