• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row Demo in stores now!

parada911

I went out in the rain to get a copy of the demo today and I am floored. It's a top notch killer app. Even on this old E3 demo you get to create your own character...the graphics are beautiful...the city is huge and teaming with life...celebs playing all the characters...it's really funny...the shooting and driving controls are spot on...the music...the missions..the cutscenes...all excellent...mostly though, it's super fun. The only thing anyone could possibly nitpick is that there's screen tearing...it doesn't detract from the fun and may be resolved in the final. Wait and see. A huge open world with no loading like in Oblivion...can't wait for this to come out.

MMaRsu

Banned
parada911 said:
I went out in the rain to get a copy of the demo today and I am floored. It's a top notch killer app. Even on this old E3 demo you get to create your own character...the graphics are beautiful...the city is huge and teaming with life...celebs playing all the characters...it's really funny...the shooting and driving controls are spot on...the music...the missions..the cutscenes...all excellent...mostly though, it's super fun. The only thing anyone could possibly nitpick is that there's screen tearing...it doesn't detract from the fun and may be resolved in the final. Wait and see. A huge open world with no loading like in Oblivion...can't wait for this to come out.

You kidding right :lol :lol

eshwaaz

I'm really enjoying the demo quite a bit - the small section of the city available has an appealing and believable layout, the cars handle well, the explosions are incredibly satisfying and the gunplay is actually fun (thanks to the free-aim and excellent rag-doll).

On the downside, the attempts at humor so far are an almost total miss for me. I'm not going to claim that GTA was high-brow, but it was more subtle with its jokes and innuendo. In Saint's Row, it's just all-out crudeness and vulgarity, and it's just not funny. The Wendy's inspired restaurant is called "Freckle Bitch"? Come on.

Core407

Banned
eshwaaz said:
I'm really enjoying the demo quite a bit - the small section of the city available has an appealing and believable layout, the cars handle well, the explosions are incredibly satisfying and the gunplay is actually fun (thanks to the free-aim and excellent rag-doll).

On the downside, the attempts at humor so far are an almost total miss for me. I'm not going to claim that GTA was high-brow, but it was more subtle with its jokes and innuendo. In Saint's Row, it's just all-out crudeness and vulgarity, and it's just not funny. The Wendy's inspired restaurant is called "Freckle Bitch"? Come on.

I actually think Saints Row does the comedy pretty well, but that's cause the things I've seen just are so silly I can't help but laugh.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Wow, this is a much prettier GTA with controls that enhance rather than occasionally frustrate the experience. Very impressive. I don't think they can top some of the art and setting of San Andreas for me, but it's definitely an homage to GTA (hahahaha) and a pleasure to actually play. A prettier GTA with fun physics is incredibly addictive. If you have any curiousity I wouldn't pass on picking up a demo. With multiplayer options, this has jumped to a must buy for me.

Demos were availabe and prominently displayed at Best Buy in Manhattan, NoHo store. I got one for a $5 pre-order. Impressions to follow...

Core407

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of this genre. But that looked fun as hell, especially blowing up the cars, trains and gas stations. :lol

If you find that entertaining then you should be a fan of the genre...

Oneself

Core407 said:
No, I'm expecting it to pull in GRAW/Oblivion level sales. The hype for the game just continues to increase...

Yeah, "sleeper hit" isn't really appropriate. I do expect great sales, after all it looks like GTA, plays like GTA and is the only GTA clone available on 360... and even shitty games sell well on that platform.

Yeah, I predict this is going to SELL VERY WELL with the mainstream crowd also

I hear random dudes talking about it all the time in XboxLive lobbys...

hell I'm not even into the gansta shit, but I very much appreciate and applaud what Volition has done here. :)

VALIS

The only thing that worries me so far, and those of you with the demo please confirm or deny this, the game looks really easy in the various videos I've seen. It's just a demo so maybe the default difficulty level isn't set yet. For instance, it seems like you can win every gun battle just by pointing and shooting. In these various videos the users seemed to be able to do whatever they want.

Core407

Banned
VALIS said:
The only thing that worries me so far, and those of you with the demo please confirm or deny this, the game looks really easy in the various videos I've seen. It's just a demo so maybe the default difficulty level isn't set yet. For instance, it seems like you can win every gun battle just by pointing and shooting. In these various videos the users seemed to be able to do whatever they want.

Right off the bats it's simple, but if you get a high wanted level or a high gang level then they just keep sending drove after drove of enemies, which complicates things a great deal. Trust me, it's no cake walk.

VALIS said:

It worries you that the game might not hate you? Masochist.

MegaTen

Banned
Mike G.E.D. said:
:lol :lol at the innocent clipping car that randomly exploded, only to expell a flaming corpse.
Yes that was easily the coolest part in the video, I thought. Can't wait for this game.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I just played through the OXM demo and it was pretty damn good. I was pleasantly surprised at how well volition executed the polish on this thing. I do have a few problems with it though:

-framerate is good, but could be tightened up (screen tearing was an issue too)

-police in GTA are much more aggressive and effective. police need to be made better

-you should be able to block with a weapon in your hand

-demo overall was way too easy, game should ramp up difficulty or adjust to the player if possible

Otherwise, this thing should easily rate in the 8.5 and above range when released and IMO it will move serious #'s (on par with Madden 360, Oblivion and GRAW at least).

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
VALIS said:

Apparently there is a dev confirmation that the demo was set on Easy - I don't have a link to back this up with though...

There is no such thing as a game that is too easy. It doesn't exist. It can't exist. The easier a game is, the more fun it is. Challenge is the opposite of fun.

ascully

I just played through the OXM demo myself the controls and screen interface are spot on you can tell the game was designed to play in HD, I especially like the map that you can set waypoints on the dots on the mini map are easy to follow and you never feel lost when looking for a mission. It feels like GTA to play actually I got warm fuzzies when playing the shootout mission at the docks. The only issue I have is Screen Tearing it seems to happen most during the cutscenes and when it happens it really looks awful.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
God, the full game is going to be fun.

Lot of nice small animations in this game. The physics just add another level of fun to the whole "sandbox" concept. Jump on someone's car and see how long you can stay on. Urban rodeo.

I watched the making of video as well. Hard to take that whole thing seriously, but very funny to see this white team in a white bread town making an racially charged gang game. A lot more big voice talent signed on than I would have guessed. Online multiplayer should be incredible as well.

BobJustBob said:
There is no such thing as a game that is too easy. It doesn't exist. It can't exist. The easier a game is, the more fun it is. Challenge is the opposite of fun.

WTF?...................oh kirby fan.

Kabuki Waq said:
WTF?...................oh kirby fan.

Not really. I like Kirby Air Ride because it's the best racing game ever, but it's really hard if you crank the CPU all the way up. I didn't like Canvas Curse because it got too hard, and I've never really played any other Kirby games.

Demo is a blast!

I was always slightly interested in this game but I had little faith in it. I thought it would just fall flat like every other GTA clone out there....but SR seems to raise the bar in every aspect. I ca't wait for the full game!

Anybody seen an official track list?

Liquid

Banned
OMG....for those that know how to get past the demo boundaries you MUST hop on a train. it will take you ALL around the entire map. the city is HUGE. once you are that far out everything is dead silent and untextured but you can see just how large the city is.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Liquid said:
OMG....for those that know how to get past the demo boundaries you MUST hop on a train. it will take you ALL around the entire map. the city is HUGE. once you are that far out everything is dead silent and untextured but you can see just how large the city is.

wait...how?!?

Liquid said:

Needs more video!!!

Any good stuff?

professor_t said:
I don't get it. Even OXM was crapping on this game at E3. Now it looks like a gem. What happened?

People getting to sit down with it and take it at their own pace? Sandbox games really need that sense of exploration and freedom to set in, which you won't get by playing it at shows.

Liquid

Banned
ok...step by step instructions.

1. get a GUN. (i'd stock up on pipe bombs too for fun)
2. go over to freckle bitches where the "demo" wall is at before the bridge over to the over island.
3. stand in front of the wall and wait for a car.
4. when a car comes it will stop. gun in hand hit its hood with the left trigger. this may take a few cars and a few tries but you WILL eventually get pushed thru.
5. once you are thru jump unto the water to your right and swim left.
6. keep swimming around the islands edge/demo wall until you are back over by the edge of harrowgate (end of blue border on map)
7. theres a set of wooden stairs. DONT use the stairs. theres a wooden dock/pier looking fence that you can jump and climp over before the stairs.
8. DO NOT go right once you are on ground. theres a hole. you;ll notice the cars on teh street disappearing once they reach this line and you'll see what i mean.
the rest of how to do this can be viewed here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq6gY73BLAQ

if i was unclear on getting thru teh demo wall watch this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAnyjGZlRyo

Core407

Banned
So that means access to the full city?

Edit: Weird, I'm playing the demo & online at the same time. What gives? I thought the demo wasn't Live enabled.

Also, I found out that other citizens can do hold ups. I actually took down an armed robber who was holding up the clothing store and I got in trouble for it! :)

Bog

Junior Ace
Since I don't feel like browsing this entire thread, can someone just tell me if the OXM demo is the same as the demo people are getting at TRU?

Top Bottom