• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai confirms Smash trailer at E3 direct!

Then why is he tweeting so often about it? "Hey, I'll be at E3..." "I'm at the train waiting to go to the airport" "Here is a pic of the airport"

Twitter is an odd website. This type of narrating mundane crap is normal. When you see people hating on it, shit like this is why they think it is pointless.

Darryl

Banned
Then why is he tweeting so often about it? "Hey, I'll be at E3..." "I'm at the train waiting to go to the airport" "Here is a pic of the airport"

he's going on vacation to america. i'd be excited if i could go on vacation to japan, or even a business trip. whatever.

Dr.Hadji

god melee gameplay is so much better than brawl. just watching this you can see how tight the speed and control is.

LOL. That video didn't even have the Melee physics in it yet. Look loosely, at that point it looked like it played closer to Smash 64. So so tired of the Brawl bashing. Don't know why some of you Brawl bashers are so hyped. You'll probably hate Smash4 like you do Brawl.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Smash Community: TODAY IS LAST DAY TO EDIT OR POST YOUR PREDICTION CONTEST! THIS WILL BE MY LAST REMINDER POST FOR PREDICTION CONTEST!

DEADLINE: 18 MORE HOURS TO GO! LAST DAY!
t1370847300z4.png

Reward:

First place will pick one between those 2 choices,

$20 eShop Points Card
Any VC game on Wii, 3DS or Wii U when gifting becomes available. from SmithnCo

or

Game & Print Club Print #3: Encounters in Hyrule by Dave Perillo
8"x10" Giclee on Smooth, Fine Art, Moab Entrada Rag Natural 290 gsm, 21.5 mil, archival.
Signed/numbered/sold out limited edition of 86. Hand-embossed.

Updated List:

Edited: CRAP, WRONG THREAD. Sorry about it.

They'd need to reveal almost the entire starting line up at once to reveal the game's opening alongside the initial trailer again. I don't think they'll do that.
Eh, Melee's didn't reveal any of the hidden characters. Brawl's intro was lame, but the reveal trailer itself was very good. I wouldn't mind that sort of thing again.

SSBM revealed Ice Climbers, Sheik, Peach and Bowser
SSBB revealed Meta-Knight, Pit, Wario, Zero Suit Samus and Snake.

We can expect a decent amount of new characters to be shown I expect. We know Mario, Link, Kirby and Pikachu are a lock at least.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Eh, Melee's didn't reveal any of the hidden characters. Brawl's intro was lame, but the reveal trailer itself was very good. I wouldn't mind that sort of thing again.

SSBM revealed Ice Climbers, Sheik, Peach and Bowser
SSBB revealed Meta-Knight, Pit, Wario, Zero Suit Samus and Snake.

We can expect a decent amount of new characters to be shown I expect. We know Mario, Link, Kirby and Pikachu are a lock at least.

I hope that we would only get 3 or 4 Newcomer for starter and keep rest of newcomer characters as secret characters. I would rather to see most of returning characters as starter characters so we can get surprised when we unlock the characters.

I hope that we would only get 3 or 4 Newcomer for starter and keep rest of newcomer characters as secret characters. I would rather to see most of returning characters as starter characters so we can get surprised when we unlock the characters.
Well what some of the returning characters look like will be surprising in itself, c'mon SS Link!

But wasn't that the first trailer of Melee?
Melee was revealed at most 5 months before it was due to come out. Brawl by comparison had well over a year and a half of dev time left when its announcement trailer was shown. I'm willing to bet SSB4 will lean more towards the latter than the former.

Newcomers must be in the basic roster from the start. They give a strong attitude to the entire game. Wario, Meta Knight, Dedede, Zero S. Samus are the distinctive mark of Brawl if you ask me.

NeonZ

Eh, Melee's didn't reveal any of the hidden characters.

That's why I said "starting line up" - I meant the characters who aren't hidden. Melee's reveal only hid Zelda, out of the starting cast, and that's because everyone assumed that the Zelda scene in the trailer was just a reference to Sheik's background. So, they could show the intro movie without problems.

Brawl's reveal trailer had many starting characters left out though, with them only getting revealed months later through the Dojo or other events (IIRC, Fox was revealed before the Dojo opened, in a separate teaser. There was also Sonic). That's why I think we're going to get something closer to Brawl's reveal, rather than Melee's. I don't think they'll reveal the entire non-unlockable cast, aside from some alternate forms, right in the first trailer here. 4-5 Newcomers for the first trailer should be good enough anyway. Melee's starting cast had that number too.

That's why I said "starting line up" - I meant the characters who aren't hidden. Melee's reveal only hid Zelda, out of the starting cast, and that's because everyone assumed that the Zelda scene in the trailer was just a reference to Sheik's background. So, they could show the intro movie without problems.

Brawl's reveal trailer had many starting characters left out though, with them only getting revealed months later through the Dojo or other events (IIRC, Fox was revealed before the Dojo opened, in a separate teaser. There was also Sonic). That's why I think we're going to get something closer to Brawl's reveal, rather than Melee's. I don't think they'll reveal the entire non-unlockable cast, aside from some alternate forms, right in the first trailer here. 4-5 Newcomers for the first trailer should be good enough anyway. Melee's starting cast had that number too.

I find it funny how everyone reacted to that Samus vs. Ridley scene in the Melee trailer. It's as if they thought Ridley would be playable! The suckers.

=(

Village

No, it is a dragon. A badass dragon.

ib1xoHZX05tG96.gif

So badass, they decided to make it a boss in Brawl. Now lets make it a playable character.

Eh, I have seen good looking dragons in my time, that just looks like a xenomorph breed with fire brand.

leave it as a boss, its a space dragon. Its quite big.

vareon

No, it is a dragon. A badass dragon.

ib1xoHZX05tG96.gif

So badass, they decided to make it a boss in Brawl. Now lets make it a playable character.

I didn't play Prime 3 but played Other M (a sin, I know). Now I understand why people are angry at Other M, lol. What a difference.

DaBoss

Bowser has been shown many times to be around mario's size.

He is whatever size the time calls for, because this is mario the universe where mushrooms make you bigger.

This isn't giant space dragon.

http://youtu.be/sfQ75gr2znA?t=43s

So is this what is called the Smash Cycle? It always gets to "It's too big"?

I didn't play Prime 3 but played Other M (a sin, I know). Now I understand why people are angry at Other M, lol. What a difference.

I made that GIF for that purpose, to show off MP3 vs Other M Ridley encounters lol.

Village

http://youtu.be/sfQ75gr2znA?t=43s

So is this what is called the Smash Cycle? It always gets to "It's too big"?

I made that GIF for that purpose, to show off MP3 vs Other M Ridley encounters lol.

He was still kinda of big, and how ridley is represented isn't really decided by sakurai He is giant space dragon, that seems to be the direction whoever is in charge of metriod seems to be going in.

To be quite honest. Size changing bosses as playing characters only work for mario and kid icarus.

Mario that being a main mechanic in the games, and kid icarus because they are gods and can change their appearance.

However if you tried that with a legendary pokemon , it would be dumb, because they cannot do that. if you tried that with Dynablade ( trust me I want NEED DYNABLADE ) it wouldnt work because he cannot do that, and kirby is the most out there of all the series on the roster.

The only other one I can think of at the moment with this being possible is pokey, because he could just have a smaller machine. Which has happened in the games.

While interesting, that isn't the relevant version of ridley is it?

NeonZ

Metroid's apparent "death" after Other M makes me fear for a Metroid newcomer... Although, I guess Ridley is one of the few high profile characters they have left, so he might make it in just due to that.

However if you tried that with a legendary pokemon , it would be dumb, because they cannot do that.

The playable Pokemons in Smash aren't scaled up to real size though. Charizard should be bigger compared to squirtle, for example.

They could make Ridley slightly bigger than, say, Brawl Bowser, currently the biggest character, and make him just hunched most of the time. He'd still be bigger than Samus, which is really the only consistent thing about his size.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

JoeInky

Isn't Captain Olimar like 2 cm in the Pikmin games? Lol.

He's the size of a coin, the characters in smash. bros aren't the actual characters themselves, they're just trophies, so their size in smash has no relevance to their size in their games whatsoever.

Ridley4lyfe

Davey Cakes

LOL. That video didn't even have the Melee physics in it yet. Look loosely, at that point it looked like it played closer to Smash 64. So so tired of the Brawl bashing. Don't know why some of you Brawl bashers are so hyped. You'll probably hate Smash4 like you do Brawl.
I have to wonder about this myself. I enjoy all the Smash Bros. games but A LOT of people were vocal about Brawl's gameplay tweaks. Basically, Sora "over-polished" the mechanics and slowed down things a tiny bit, and it rendered the game unplayable for hardcore Melee fans.

For general Smash fans, Brawl was great.

I have a hard time believing that Smash 4 will feel more like Melee. Unless Sakurai and the development team had taken serious notes about the Melee->Brawl changes and the hardcore fan response, to the point of actually trying to re-create the feel of Melee (as well as replicating Melee's l-canceling, physics exploits, etc.), then the odds are Smash 4 will be a continuation of Brawl or will do its own thing, which will be equally as controversial.

So yeah, people who were lukewarm about Brawl or straight-up disliked the game probably shouldn't even be hyped about Smash 4. For all we know, the next iteration could end up entirely different than all three of its predecessors, especially considering the inclusion of a 3DS version. If you're not in it purely for the fan service, then you should probably keep your expectations in check.

Top Bottom