• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai confirms Smash trailer at E3 direct!

I consider myself this and was disappointed mostly due to the tripping mechanic they put in.

WHY

This is the #1 thing that needs to change.

Please, someone at E3 ask Sakurai if they put tripping back in, and if he says yes, punch him for all of us.

NeonZ

I have a hard time believing that Smash 4 will feel more like Melee. Unless Sakurai and the development team had taken serious notes about the Melee->Brawl changes and the hardcore fan response, to the point of actually trying to re-create the feel of Melee (as well as replicating Melee's l-canceling and physics exploits), then the odds are Smash 4 will be a continuation of Brawl or will do its own thing, which will be equally as controversial.

I feel like Sakurai has taken note of the online criticisms.

His recent praise of Melee, talking about how it was aimed at the hardcore, and how he wanted things to be simpler in Brawl are a complete reversal of what he said before Brawl's release.

See these Sakurai quotes from the Iwata Asks about Brawl:

Of course, I think there was a possibility of taking Smash Bros. in a more casual-gaming direction. For example, we could make the art style simpler or make it possible to use Miis. However, with the various titles that the Wii was to offer, I felt that people were looking for something different. That’s the reason I decided in very early stages of development that the Wii pointer and motion movements would not be a primary feature of the game.

If we had decided to adhere to the new approach offered by the Wii, I think it would have been possible to design the game with more unconventional controls. However, in the end, I set aside several ideas as I thought it was important to dedicate our resources to developing what our gamers were looking for.

It’s best to have both approaches, right? If I had been at Nintendo, I may have made a Smash Bros. Brawl that was more in line with the Wii. As a result, I feel, in some ways, that my decision-making wasn’t the very best…particularly as gamers readily tire of games these days. Smash Bros. Brawl may not be effective asit tries to perfect the experience of conventional games.

(about adding Subspace Emissary)
I don’t know if I can accurately express my feeling but, I mean, Smash Bros. has received high marks from all over for the fighting pleasure it provides and I felt that merely refining what was already there was too simple and would preclude changes. Don’t get me wrong though, the fighting is more advanced than before.

I feel like the true goal with Brawl was actually to modify to mechanics to make people play Smash exactly like how Sakurai thought it should be played (thus, attempting to eliminate combos, making the A sequences generally track better, removing alternate ways of movement/dodge), however, in the end, that concept failed both due to design and execution problems (like the chain throws and lack of balance) and the game still doesn't play like he expected.

He probably saw the online criticism from the competitive fanbase and seems to have taken it to heart. Now, Brawl suddenly was never intended to be an enhancement on Melee's mechanics, but a softer, more accessible game, while Melee was "hardcore". However, if you look at those pre-Brawl and post-Brawl interviews, that's not the sentiment given by him at all. He never mentioned that take on Brawl before years had passed from the game's release.

Now, I don't know if this will influence the next Smash's development, but I think it will - I just hope this won't mean a bland featureless game, but I guess Sakurai has enough budget and focus to not fall into such a trap.

NeonZ

Do people really think we're going to get no Mario related character added here? I mean, I can see the arguments against Waluigi, but who would be a better option at this point?

FlyFaster

i really hope that chain throws and other stupid things like that are gone. I Have rather high expectations because of Namco working on it.

I expect a fun, competitive game that is balanced

edit:
Do people really think we're going to get no Mario related character added here? I mean, I can see the arguments against Waluigi, but who would be a better option at this point?

Rosalina dude

Bowser Jr., who is probably more likely to make it in than Waluigi, admittedly.

TrueBlue

If Waluigi really does make it in, this should be the response for every complaint he gets.

tumblr_mdcs3adZOs1rpvf4qo1_400.gif

SkyOdin

There's not really that many important Mario characters left. We already have Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, and Wario (though he is more a WarioWare character now). So all of the major core Mario characters are already in Brawl. Anyone else added into the new game would be going into less important characters.

Daisy and Waluigi are possibilities, but their primary role is to fill out the cast list in sports titles, which is hardly necessary in a Smash Bros. game. They would also likely be clones of characters already on the roster. Toad is a remote possibility, but Peach already took the SMB 2 referencing and Toad is already part of her movelist. Past that involves considering the Koopa Troopa or Shy Guy.

When it comes down to it, the Mario series is built around a core of four characters: Mario, Luigi, Bowser, and Peach. Those four have been in Super Smash Bros. since Melee. Yoshi and Wario get in based on them each having their own respective series of games. There aren't really any other Mario characters that have that kind of background. Anyone else is either a minor character or only represents a specific game.

Fandangox

I don't think anyone else from the "Mario" series will get in, the only one that has a chance is Toad in my opinion. Brawl's "Mario" inclusions were for the franchises that branched from that: DK, and Wario Ware.

I don't see DK getting another rep, Wario Ware could though.

TreIII

And I would lose my shit. As much as everyone hates Bowser Jr. I absolutely love him!
I don't hate him, but it should be apparent who I would personally prefer...

In my ideal scenario, it'd be Jr., with the Koopalings being summoned as a part of his moves (think Doronjo from TvC). And that's if I couldn't get Roy, Morton or Ludwig as a separate character.

Anth0ny

There's not really many important Nintendo characters left period, let alone Mario characters.

I feel like if they haven't done Ridley by now, they aren't doing him at all.

For the debut trailer, I foresee Platinum characters, a character from Retro's new IP, and... Waluigi and Palutena.

NeonZ

Bowser Jr., who is probably more likely to make it in than Waluigi, admittedly.

The problem with Bowser Jr. is that Brawl came after the game that gave him his biggest role, Sunshine, had a Mario Sunshine stage as the main Mario series area and yet he didn't even make it in as an Assist Trophy. That seems to place him behind Waluigi to me.

On the other hand, the big Mario theme this time likely will be Galaxy, so I guess there's a chance we could get a one hit wonder like Rosalina - it wouldn't be the first time when you consider people like Sheik, Lucario and Roy...

You mean gaf?

Bowser jr is very popular.

Feast on their tears when bowser jr comes to kick ass.

also you waluigi is already in brawl.

Aah. Well then GAF disappoints me. D:

But hell yeah! I honestly wouldn't doubt it at all, he could have a pretty interesting moveset if they go with the brush.

Like Wario was already in SSB with the Mario color based on him. :p

Unbounded

True Pros play with Tripping.
I hope it stays in the next game

Tripping would be neat if there was any way to control the probability of it whatsoever.

For instance, let's say ice surfaces have a decent chance of tripping you if you're running over them, surfaces that were recently hit with water could trip you up, blahblahblah. The more friction a surface has, the lower the chances of tripping until for some surfaces, it's basically zero while for others, it's a really high chance.

It'd at least allow for an element of strategy that makes the fight change big time depending on how the arena changes. It'd also allow some characters like mario with F.L.U.D.D to control trip probability.

Also, characters like the Ice Climbers would be unable to trip.

Jawmuncher

... In the form of diddy's banana peels only lol.

I forgot all about that.
Looks like I'm set to get a new main.

Tripping would be neat if there was any way to control the probability of it whatsoever.

For instance, let's say ice surfaces have a decent chance of tripping you if you're running over them, surfaces that were recently hit with water could trip you up, blahblahblah. The more friction a surface has, the lower the chances of tripping until for some surfaces, it's basically zero while for others, it's a really high chance.

It'd at least allow for an element of strategy that makes the fight change big time depending on how the arena changes. It'd also allow some characters like mario with F.L.U.D.D to control trip probability.

Also, characters like the Ice Climbers would be unable to trip.

That would be a interesting way to implement.

Gah. I hate tripping so much, but I won't lie.. It saved me from death so many times.

It'd be also funny if it only stayed on Luigi. :p

Won't lie its helped me win some close matches.

FlyFaster

I'm starting to hope that they do something pretty radical with them game. Really change it up and make it fresh again. What I don't know, but I would like something new.
edit: the fact that namco is working on this leads me to think the game will be different from previous entries in some kind of defining way.

Top Bottom